Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,462 members, 7,914,169 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 07:18 PM

My Experience In Jos As A Corps Member. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My Experience In Jos As A Corps Member. (3183 Views)

Nairaland Congratulates All 2015/2016 Batch A Corps Members Passing Out Today / NYSC Important Notice To All Prospective 2016 Batch A Corps Members / Corps Member Collapses During Swearing-in Ceremony In Jos (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience In Jos As A Corps Member. by Robertnnaemeka(m): 5:16pm On Aug 02, 2014
It is three years now, but the memory of my experiences as a youth corps member, starting from waiting with bated breath for the the place of posting to be pasted, initial reactions on learning it is Plateau State, the journey to Jos with forlorn face, initial scare in camp, then three suicide bomb blasts, massacre and, ultimately the great flight that saw me almost join the fight in defence of dear life but later ran away faster than Usain Bolt when it dawned on me that an iron rod wielding guy dare not stay in his house when he is sure some AK47 wielding people will come to snuff his life, and lastly, the events that led to my bidding the country farewell.
On that fateful day, we congregated at the faculty building, in front of the faculty officer, UNN, waiting for the posting to be pasted. Visible concerns were written on many faces as no one wanted to be posted to troubled areas in the North.
Then, the faculty officer, whom I know, suddenly appeared and told me "you are going to Jos". I was shocked. When I received my posting letter, the reality then struck me hard. Sad and dejected, I went home.
Then the battle on whether to ask for relocation or not began. I am a child of God and believe that God is in control of my life. To relocate is to doubt God's guidance. So, I decided not to relocate.
But my body was not happy. Throughout the journey to Jos I was sad and was a pitiable sight to beheld.
A few days in camp, a man wearing white and a backpack was arrested near the camp. Everyone panicked. Corps members believed the man is a Boko Haram. But the NYSC director in the state denied it., saying he was a mad man. Corps members vehemently disagree, calling him a lier. Many of us wanted to run to the south.
Then I ended up being posted to Unijos in the very Jos North that is very dangerous. There are roads you should not pass through if you love your life.
Then there were three suicide bomb blasts. Then the Izarra sect fight with Berom people that almost claimed my life. On that fateful day, sensing some hoodlums might attack unijos staff quarters where I was living, I armed myself with an iron rods. But when the heavy sound of gun fire became too much, I ran away from the corpers Lodge toward the classrooms.
When I came back in the night, I thought I would die that night.
After this, I almost relocated as other corpers were leaving the state in droves. If not that other true Christians, particularly Deeper Life Corpers Fellowship whose member I was, though Deeper life wasn't my local church, didn't worry at all and were carrying on as if all is normal, I would have run to the South. I decided to encourage myself in God, knowing that God knew why I was posted to Jos: I didn't influence my postings. So I stayed put.
Then, God later showed me why he sent me there. Being in Jos opened a door for me to get university lecturing job near a neighboring state in the south and scholarship to USA for further studies where I am currently. In fact, I was still in Jos when the job offer came few days after POP. Had it been that I ran away from God's will for me, I would be in thrown into the job market and would have smelled the scholarship I am currently enjoying.
My posting to Jos was God's way of bringing great things to my life.
If you are a child of God whom God guides, don't worry. Just listen to him speaking to your heart. Have faith in Him. But if you are not, then don't go to dangerous place cos you need his grace. Your wisdom is not okay to alone guide you in dangerous place. But you have an opportunity to cultivate close walk with God.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In Jos As A Corps Member. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 02, 2014
Hmmm, Blessings and its location.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Jos As A Corps Member. by nairamaverick(m): 6:01pm On Aug 02, 2014
I was posted to jos wish I had not redeployed not because of your article tho,because I believe God's plan for my life would still unfold no matter where I am.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In Jos As A Corps Member. by aluunoble: 6:10pm On Aug 02, 2014
Hmmm my twin bro is posted there, while NYSC sent me to Borno! Am still trying 2 figure things out
Re: My Experience In Jos As A Corps Member. by Robertnnaemeka(m): 3:17am On Aug 04, 2014
I remember one incident. The NYSC local government was located in mainly Muslim part of the local government. I had been there to register once the camp ended. Then fighting erupted and I did not know that people ran away from there. There happen to be a corper friend whose house was about 20 minutes near the local government NYSC office but located where berom peoples and southerners live. I had determined I need to locate the NYSC office and then use it as a mark to locate my friend's house. As I was on my way to the office, oblivious of the fact only hausa Muslims populated the place, God made me meet the corper I was visiting as I prepared to head to the office. I then told him how I planned to go to the office and use it to locate his house. The boy warned me never to set feet there. I was shocked. Imagine if I had gone there and some guys stopped me and on realizing whom I am, what they would have done. Jos can be dangerous.
Re: My Experience In Jos As A Corps Member. by Robertnnaemeka(m): 3:18am On Aug 04, 2014
Jos is not that dangerous if you know where you should not go. Only the introduction of bombs that makes it more perilous.
Re: My Experience In Jos As A Corps Member. by Robertnnaemeka(m): 3:21am On Aug 04, 2014
nairamaverick: I was posted to jos wish I had not redeployed not because of your article tho,because I believe God's plan for my life would still unfold no matter where I am.
Good. Just be security conscious. Most of the time, I was always planning how to avoid the crisis point. For instance, Bauchi road to terminus market was a no go area for me.

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Batch A 2022 / Prospective NYSC 2016 Batch A Corp Members - NYSC - Nairaland / Please Does Edo State Pay Corp Members?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.