Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,354 members, 7,920,332 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 02:09 AM

"What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" (6807 Views)

Top Ten Naija Ways (are You A Nigerian Or A Naijan?) / What does the word 'Biafra' mean? / What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by newacca: 9:55am On Aug 03, 2014
Interesting! This is really an interesting piece that made my made. I've got to share this on my social media pages.
It's true, we've been brainwashed by the westerners that whatever comes from Africa is bad,inferior,primitive and uncivilized contrary to the fact.
This makes me to always remember Baba Fela, here what Prof. Wole Soyinka said:
"...he always believed whatever comes from Africa is good" Wole Soyinka, speaking on Fela Anikulapo Kuti ( Abami eda himself )

Oh Africa my Africa, where have you gotten it all wrong? Thanks to the author of this excellent article and the poster of the article here.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by dasparrow: 9:56am On Aug 03, 2014
......And what does it mean to be european, asian, american?

1 Like

Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by dangotegroup: 12:15pm On Aug 03, 2014
Register as a distributor and buy dangote cement at #1200 per bag or dangote rice at 6000 per bag. call sales manager RS Scheme 07069037705
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by GooseBaba: 4:47pm On Aug 03, 2014
OP... Correct write up...

But I must add foreign RELIGION is the driver of present day Nigerian self loathing. Just as you mentioned people forsake their names because it relates to ancestral beliefs. Every preacher on the pulpit demonize that which is African while elevating that of the foreign religion.

Someone just said no one plays with their salvation. SALVATION from what..!!? Is it African or Nigerian. With such mentality would people like that promote festivals of their tribes to the world when they already consider it primitive, demonic and backward.

Majority of the leading class In Nigeria determines ones intelligence by their proficiency of the English language. We now measure the black man's intelligence by how well he speaks a foreign language.

When one tries to champion African uniqueness, ignorant Africans are eager to link civilization, technology, morality and medicine as white man's contributions to humanity. But are quick to bring in killings of twins and human sacrifice as the way of life of precolonial Africans. To them, their forefathers knew nothing of creativity or innovation.

Some Nigerians now discriminate against their fellow Nigerians because he/she does not command phonetic accents. Smh.. Self loathing and wasted existence.. TUFIAKWA!

We must stop condemning our ancestors and stop distorting our history. Then maybe we can find real pride in ourselves..

1 Like

Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by daveP(m): 11:02pm On Aug 03, 2014
Hmmm!! Didnt mean we didnt have our share of the evils we now face.
Having 3men and 6women all having goitre and making those that laugh at them to metaphysically make them laugh until appeased with kegs of palm oil,etc. Well its revealing-article.
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by ooshinibos: 2:33pm On Aug 04, 2014
Please can you also explain why Nigerians dont have electricity ..( Please dont mention corruption , because other corruption nation have electricity )
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by ooshinibos: 2:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
and why dont we have a successful independent Black nation ( please dont mention sOUTH AFRICAN or Nigeria , please ) ...we talk about the africanism but most of us want to migrate or have migrated to a white mans land ..and dont want to go back to aFrica because life is not easy for an ordinary man , lets be brutally honest ,

1 Like

Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by laykhorn(m): 1:11am On Aug 05, 2014
EnlightenedSoul: I find the question on what it means to be African strange. I mean, what does it mean to be European, Asian, South American etc? There is no one meaning, and I guarantee you won't come across either of these other expressions, except...African.

Americans/Westerners have always made it a habit, in their ignorance, to lump Africans together as if we're one homogenous entity of sorts, and it almost seems as if we Africans are taking the bait.

That aside, I think the author brings up some valid points. Being a global village has it's downfalls, but it also has it's perks. We can all learn from each other, but at the same time there are some things worth preserving.
Have you ever been out of this country?
Even African ones?
Yes! We can be classified as one homogenous entity. What brings us together and our intercepts is more than huge compared to our infinitesimal diffrences and what separates us.
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by Nobody: 5:27am On Aug 08, 2014
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by khiaa(f): 1:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
caseless: Nice one!!
The writer is an atheist, i hope he/she did not condemn nigerians when we refused to accept homosexual , which is a western culture and against our african culture. I know most atheists and TAR member e.g soyinka supports gay right even as it is un-african.

Please, please, please explain to me how homosexuality is a western culture when it has been around since biblical days? Are you telling me the biblical events occured in the western part of the world?
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by Caseless: 3:19pm On Aug 30, 2014
khiaa:

Please, please, please explain to me how homosexuality is a western culture when it has been around since biblical days? Are you telling me the biblical events occured in the western part of the world?
yes!!
BTW, are u a lesbian/gay?
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by khiaa(f): 10:36pm On Aug 30, 2014
caseless: yes!!

What western country did biblical events occur, and no I am not a lesbian, I am strictly dickly why do you ask?
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by khiaa(f): 10:44pm On Aug 30, 2014
caseless: yes!!

What western country did biblical events occur, and no I am not a lesbian, I am strictly dickly why do you ask? Are you gay?
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by Caseless: 11:11pm On Aug 30, 2014
khiaa:

What western country did biblical events occur, and no I am not a lesbian, I am strictly dickly why do you ask?
luth and his people were white ppl frm that present day part of the world called the west. grin
Dickly? Ur monicker says otherwise.
I thot u ar bisexual jst by seeing ur post.
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by khiaa(f): 11:25pm On Aug 30, 2014
caseless: luth and his people were white ppl frm that present day part of the world called the west. grin
Dickly? Ur monicker says otherwise.
I thot u ar bisexual jst by seeing ur post.

Which post made you think I was bisexual? What does my monicker say to you?
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by Caseless: 12:00am On Aug 31, 2014
khiaa:

Which post made you think I was bisexual? What does my monicker say to you?
jst joking, dear.
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by khiaa(f): 1:06am On Aug 31, 2014
caseless: jst joking, dear.

Ok cheesy
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by Deezia1(m): 12:56am On Sep 17, 2015
The advent/introduction of Europeans with their western culture can be best describe as "THE OPENING OF THE PANDORA'S BOX" on African Cultural Value System...
The stage got opened with the appearance of missionaries with double message, they held the Bible in the left hand and gun in the other hand.We were giving Bible and ask to forget the things of this world, that our treasure is in heaven. While at the meantime was the mapping and grabbling of our land and mineral resources, they started factories and business on our sweat...

"I am Nigerian because a white man created Nigeria and gave me that identity. I am black because the white man constructed black to be different from as possible from his white. But l was Igbo before the white man came" (Chimamandu 2007)...

The question remains, is the western culture superior when compaired to African cultural value system?

For detail contact me through my email...
burabarisunday@gmail.com

Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by tpiander: 1:00am On Sep 17, 2015
^ why exactly are photos included in your post?

Just curious.
Re: "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" by Deezia1(m): 7:56am On Sep 18, 2015
Our culture has been sacrificed at the alter of modernization, because of the believe that whatever is indigenous is develish and demeaning, hence rejection and denial of who we truely are which has turn Nigerians and Africans at large to "Indigenous Strangers..."

The black skin is not a badge of shame but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness. (Garvey).

I am African, not because l was born in Africa but because Africa is born in me (Kwame)

l am proud of my colour,
I am proud to be black,
I am proud to be an Ogoni man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Axum I Have A Question... / Can The Oba Of Benin Palace Be Invaded By Hoodlums / The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.