Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,618 members, 7,951,558 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 06:23 PM

Help With Form's Post - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Help With Form's Post (868 Views)

Help my Form Post submission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Form's Post by gorociano: 10:56am On Oct 16, 2008
I'm trying to get a message typed in a form of a webpage sent to my yahoo box but i dont know which method/ what code to write, help anyone
Re: Help With Form's Post by kehers(m): 11:55am On Oct 16, 2008
What development language do u run on? You will need more than HTML to do this. You will need any of the available server side languages like php, jsp, asp and co.
Re: Help With Form's Post by yawatide(f): 1:25pm On Oct 16, 2008
kehers, not necessarily.

If the host doesn't allow form scripts to run (as I have encountered with some hosts in the past), PHP et al becomes useless.  In this case, he would have to add the cgi url (most likely a cgi script) to the "action" field of the form tag.

What he/she needs to do is ask the host if they allow form scripting. If yes, then we can proceed with what language he uses. If no, then he should ask the host to provide the url to the cgi script, in which case he can use plain old vanilla html.
Re: Help With Form's Post by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 16, 2008
if your server supports php, you might want to checkout the tutorial on my website, though for almost a year now, i have not had the time to add other tutorials.

http://webdezzi.com/tutorial_walkthru.icez

Thats one tutorial i put up when i finally got a solution to changing the envelop address to the sender's address so the email arrives inboxes and not junk/bulk.

though you can fwrite() it to the sendmail path directly, some hosts wont let you do that on a shared server.
just confirm that ur host supports php, if it doesn't, you will get help from ppl who can help you with other languages
Re: Help With Form's Post by kehers(m): 2:11pm On Oct 17, 2008
though you can fwrite() it to the sendmail path directly,
Using mail() is a whole lot easier. Other 3rd party mail classes are as well available (I personnaly recommend phpMailer). But then everything still boils down to support for PHP n the server.
If your server doesnt support PHP, other available options is letting a 3rd party site handle the form data posting for you. There are a lot of sites that does this. You can check out wufoo for a start
Re: Help With Form's Post by eliteweb(m): 2:58am On Oct 18, 2008
Php your only solution.
Re: Help With Form's Post by yawatide(f): 12:40pm On Oct 18, 2008
eliteweb, no offense, but not really.

There are tons of other languages that can do it, granted maybe you meant what was easily available. Off the tip of my tongue: JSP, Cold Fusion and Perl to mention a few.
Re: Help With Form's Post by bug24(m): 1:44pm On Oct 18, 2008
Do we really need to go to that lenght to achieve this? when there is just a code u can place at the head of the form (the action).
it gets the whole content of the form sent to any email u specify and at the same time sends you to the confirmation page.
Its very flexible and you can even validate your forms.
its a third party code though. Been using it for sometime now.
Re: Help With Form's Post by kehers(m): 5:57pm On Oct 18, 2008
@bug24
Really? Guess u mean to say an external url where the content gets posted and helps u handle the emailing and confirmation? I know of a couple of sites that does this - wufoo as one, bravenet as another
Re: Help With Form's Post by gorociano: 11:03am On Oct 20, 2008
Dudes,
Thanks for all the advise, i'm thinking of using JSP but i'm open to other ideas.
please send ideas on using CGI for it
Re: Help With Form's Post by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 20, 2008
find out if your server will run your java codes
Re: Help With Form's Post by webguru(m): 7:00pm On Oct 23, 2008
just one line of mail() php function wld solve this

Its unthinkable to host on a server that doesn't have php shocked lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Internet Explorer Is Unsafe : Still / Who Has Ever Used Syskay Webhosting Company / How To Validate A Form Using Php

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.