Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,780 members, 7,893,028 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 11:13 PM

Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty (1267 Views)

Missing 3-year Old Child / Bride Breastfeeding Her Child On Wedding Day (pics) / Picture Of A Father Carrying His Child On His Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by Biliamin(m): 4:45pm On Aug 03, 2014
She is a Nurse in one of the teaching hospitals in Lagos. she discovered she was charged to resume night duty the week her Child is 6 months.

The challenge is where and how to take care for the baby at night when the mother is away on duty. All options seem to have been exhausted without a step to take:

1. The baby should be with the hubby at home. The challenge with this option is that the hubby's place of work is on the island and they stay on the mainland. He joins staff bus that usually leaves the office at 5:45 to 6 PM and doesn't get home until 8pm. Her resumption time is 7pm. she won't be able to leave home until hubby returns and the same thing happens in the morning. hubby needs to join the bus at 7 am and she might not be at home until 9 am. apart from this, the child sucks at night.

2. Engage a Nanny. No go area. where would the nanny be sleeping?

3. Invite a family member. All young family members are occupied and older ones (aged) don't want to stay in Lagos cos they would be the only one at home when everybody has gone to work (boredom)

3. Go to work with the baby. what happens when the baby is crying in the changing room and the mother is attending to a dying patient (this is extreme though) but the need to check on her baby everytime would not allow her concentrate on her job?

4. Appeal to the unit head who prepared the roster. The woman did not agree. she said they are short staffed.

5. She should resign. No go area. she supports the family financially

experienced couples... how have you managed situation like this?
Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by PassingShot(m): 5:51pm On Aug 03, 2014
Option 2 is there for the taking. Let aged family members sacrifice. It's only for short period and they will soon find out ways to make their stay interesting.
Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by delishpot: 5:54pm On Aug 03, 2014
Well, if her mom is alive she could beg her. She is on night duty thus will be with mama from morning to night and then she should teach mama how to make the food for the baby.
Why say where would house help sleep? If her family member comes to help her, won't they have where to sleep.?
I understand if she has Trust issues esp as house help is a total stranger but to ask where will she sleep? She never need the help be that o.
Better beg mama and if mama is dead she should take a house help but I hope oga is not the type that will peep into the girls room when she is sleeping(no insult intended o before you enter me) just stating the obvious cos naija men are never in control of their Amu , it's always a woman's fault when they go astray. Naim make me ask o. If your hubby is a skirt chaser don't bring a house help o.
She should Convince the adults at home that she will just be away for 8-10 hrs per day. And on week ends try to give them treats by taking them out for picnics or amusement parks etc once in a while.

1 Like

Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by queen47: 5:59pm On Aug 03, 2014
Get a nanny that follows her to work. The nanny will stay with the baby in the changing room when mother is busy and if baby starts crying while mother is still busy, nanny will take baby out, walk around with her and calm baby till mother is less busy to take care of baby ( crying doesn't kill a child).

2 Likes

Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by bebe2(f): 6:23pm On Aug 03, 2014
Biliamin: She is a Nurse in one of the teaching hospitals in Lagos. she discovered she was charged to resume night duty the week her Child is 6 months.

The challenge is where and how to take care for the baby at night when the mother is away on duty. All options seem to have been exhausted without a step to take:

1. The baby should be with the hubby at home. The challenge with this option is that the hubby's place of work is on the island and they stay on the mainland. He joins staff bus that usually leaves the office at 5:45 to 6 PM and doesn't get home until 8pm. Her resumption time is 7pm. she won't be able to leave home until hubby returns and the same thing happens in the morning. hubby needs to join the bus at 7 am and she might not be at home until 9 am. apart from this, the child sucks at night.

2. Engage a Nanny. No go area. where would the nanny be sleeping?

3. Invite a family member. All young family members are occupied and older ones (aged) don't want to stay in Lagos cos they would be the only one at home when everybody has gone to work (boredom)

3. Go to work with the baby. what happens when the baby is crying in the changing room and the mother is attending to a dying patient (this is extreme though) but the need to check on her baby everytime would not allow her concentrate on her job?

4. Appeal to the unit head who prepared the roster. The woman did not agree. she said they are short staffed.

5. She should resign. No go area. she supports the family financially

experienced couples... how have you managed situation like this?

Welcome to my world.

This is similar to what i went tru in my working days.

By morning my breast go don full of milk, meanwhile my pikin dey house dey drink cow milk. ::: $##
Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by egopersonified(f): 6:49pm On Aug 03, 2014
Taking the baby to work is the best option. Its either she gets someone who works in the hospital during the day to work for her at night or colleagues(lab techs, nurses, receptionist, cleaners, etc) can assist her when she is busy.
Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by delishpot: 8:02pm On Aug 03, 2014
How can one take a baby to the hospital? Will that not expose that baby to stuff? With every body touching it and admiring it? From patients to nurses and co.

2 Likes

Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by soonest(f): 12:38am On Aug 04, 2014
A 6mth old staying away from d mum at night? Probably up to 5 nights in a roll. Abeg o! Her best bet is to plead wit her head of unit. Moreover she's suppose to be on permanent morning for 6mths upon resumption from maternity leave. If all odds fail and she has no one to help, she should resign! She's a nurse and will always get a job when the time is right. The family will not die if she loses her income. The child is primary. If anything happens to that child as a result of this night duty she will give a full acct to God.

1 Like

Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 04, 2014
nursing mothers are usually place on PERMANENT MORNING shift untill their babies are old enough
Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by tpia1: 7:23am On Aug 04, 2014
joker5180: nursing mothers are usually place on PERMANENT MORNING shift untill their babies are old enough

i once started a thread to ask why nlers always open silly "what if" scenarios.

1 Like

Re: Nursing Mother Of A 6 Months Old Child On Night Duty by Biliamin(m): 8:08am On Aug 04, 2014
tpia1:

i once started a thread to ask why nlers always open silly "what if" scenarios.

I don't understand you

(1) (Reply)

Where Did It go Wrong? Tale Of A Hanging Marriage. / Would You Work Under Your Spouse In An Organisation? / My Brother Must Not Marry Her.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.