Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,323 members, 7,881,192 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:08 PM

Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall (13183 Views)

Army General, 14 Others Face Military Tribunal In Lagos / Ex-gov Adamu, 19 Others Face 149-count Charge / Boni Haruna, Two Others Face 28 Fresh Graft Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by alotofgrace(m): 7:01am On Aug 04, 2014
?REALLY
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by gratieao: 7:02am On Aug 04, 2014
APC and failed propaganda Governor Umaru Tanko Al-
Makura is going

1 Like

Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by Kalvan50: 7:02am On Aug 04, 2014
Jonathan's attack dogs reporting to work, bright and early.
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by hushmail: 7:16am On Aug 04, 2014
waitind 4 d end of dis drama
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by MoneyGreen(m): 7:27am On Aug 04, 2014
Committee dis, committee dat! From 2013 to date I wonder how many committee has been set up.
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:32am On Aug 04, 2014
0rlando0woh:
There is nothing complex about it, all they need is to get the required number of signatures, present it to the state INEC officer, who then organises a referendum where the signatures are confirmed.
. . . and you think it is possible to get the 2/3 votes of the electorate that registered in the constituencies and elected the members? And how many people will be willing to stand in the sun for the exercise knowing full well that 2015 that would still be in a file to vote? Do you expect a persons that registered in the affected constituencies that do their businesses outside them to forego the cash they would make that day because of a useless referendum that would be manipulated?
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by Nobody: 8:44am On Aug 04, 2014
I saw this on this link https://www.nairaland.com/683994/how-constituency-recall-representative#8464388

Chapter Five section 110 of the Nigerian constitution says

A member of the House of Assembly may be recalled as such a member if -

(a) there is presented to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission a petition in that behalf signed by more than one-half of the persons registered to vote in that members's constituency alleging their loss of confidence in that member; and

(b) the petition is thereafter, in a referendum conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission within ninety days of the date of the receipt of the petition, approved by a simple majority of the votes of the persons registered to vote in that member's constituency.

i think the opposition has a long way to go... if they succeed in getting half... which is very doubtful... the referendum might make their dream a nullity.

please lets analyse the constitution above in the light of the current reality...what do you think?
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by pheesayor(m): 9:34am On Aug 04, 2014
Game changer, nice one. Let the reps do the bidding of the people and not that of the party. Let more people be aware of the power they have over their representatives

1 Like

Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by adanny01(m): 9:36am On Aug 04, 2014
Ahuitzotl: Recalled for doing their Job?!...What an irony.

What is their job? Impeaching the best governor Nassarawa state has ever had?

I served in that state and know first hand that PDP governors did nothing to improve that state. I pass that state monthly and have seen with my eyes the development Almakura brought to them. How can politics of PDP and APC be greater than positive development. PDP will get my disgust if a performing governor like Almakura is removed for no offence but for being elected on the platform of an opposition.

Funny enough he is the 1st Governor of the state to reside there. Adamu and Akwe Doma both lived in Abuja and go to Lafia government house twice a week to sign documents then leave 2hrs later.

3 Likes

Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by Olusanya333(m): 9:37am On Aug 04, 2014
Anasko: Six of the 20 members of the People’s Democratic
Party (PDP) including Speaker of the Nasarawa
State
House of Assembly, Musa Ahmed Mohammed,
who signed the impeachment notice against
Governor Umaru Tanko Al-Makura, are facing
recall by their constituents over allegations that
they did not consult properly before embarking on
the exercise.
The other five members are: the deputy speaker,
Elisha Agwadu, Mohammed Baba Ibaku,
Abdulkarim Usman, Francis Orogu and
Mohammed Sidi Bako. In two of the
constituencies, namely Nasarawa-Central, and
Udege/Loko, where the speaker and Ibaku are
representing, respectively, people have for the
past two weeks been collecting signatures from
constituents. But the other constituencies have
just commenced the exercise, Daily Trust
gathered.
In Nasarawa-Central, the constituents have
already set up a central committee headed by the
chairman of Nasarawa Local Government Area,
Tijjani Ahmed, who is coordinating the recall
process with three sub-committees.
A former council chairman, Barrister Mohammed
Sani Bawa is heading the Nasarawa-Central sub-
committee, the state Commissioner of Agriculture,
Danladi Madaki, is heading the sub-committee for
Udege, while Alhaji Ibrahim Gambo and Nuhu
Abubakar, a former councillor is heading the sub-
committee for Loko axis.
The council chairman, Tijjani Ahmed, told Daily
Trust yesterday that there are also seven sub-
committees for the seven wards of Nasarawa-
Central, just as there are 44 sub-committees set
up to coordinate signatories in the 44 polling
units of the constituency.
“We are on course and signatures have started
coming in from constituents against the two
lawmakers representing the two constituencies of
Nasarawa Local Government,” Ahmed said.
The state commissioner of Agriculture, Madaki
told Daily Trust that constituents are “falling over
each other to append their signatures against
Ibaku,” just as Sani Bawa said they are getting
signatures from Angwan Dalatu polling unit,
where the speaker voted in 2011.
But Ibaku, who confirmed he is aware of the
process initiated to commence his recall, said he
is not bothered by the development.
“I was voted by 43,500 PDP members of my
constituency in 2011. My opponent polled only
13,000. If the 43,500 people who elected me say
they want me out; I will be bothered. If
disgruntled APC members in their microscopic
minority are initiating a recall against me, I will be
sleeping and waiting for 90 days for our people to
go a referendum to decide who is more popular in
Udege/Loko,” he said.
When contacted, the speaker’s spokesman, Tanko
Ibrahim, said: “Frankly speaking, I have no
comments.”
Francis Orogu, on his part, confirmed the moves
against him but insisted that the process is not
one to give him sleepless nights.
“I have 100 per cent support from my
constituents to go ahead with the impeachment
against the governor. I consulted my people and
they gave me the go ahead. Today, they are
promising me an automatic ticket because I did
them proud by appending my signature to the
impeachment notice,” he said.
This is just as Lanze Kassim Ujah, a legislative
aide to Usman of Wamba, said he is aware of
plans by the minority APC members in his area to
recall his boss, but added: “My boss consulted
his constituents and got their approval. He is still
in touch with his constituents”.
The deputy speaker, Elisha Agwandu said he got
the mandate of a majority PDP constituent to
represent the area in the state assembly, just as
he insisted that he had the approval of the
electorate to sign the impeachment notice against
the governor. Sidi Bako could not be reached at
press time.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/top-stories/30771-impeachment-nasarawa-speaker-5-others-face-recall
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by Addme: 10:38am On Aug 04, 2014
I doubt if they can really do this successfully.I can hardly remember any since the inception of democracy in Nigeria though there is always a first time in everything.Could it be in Nasarawa?That will be an historical reference.
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by san316(m): 10:39am On Aug 04, 2014
Ewoo. So Nigerians don dey read constitution. I used to think impeachment and recall only exists in government textbooks. Na wa oo!
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by TBD(m): 12:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
Ahuitzotl: Recalled for doing their Job?!...What an irony.
Idiot which work?
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by TBD(m): 12:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
By God grace will fail woefully on mission am watching with keen interest.
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by Hugoboi(m): 12:47pm On Aug 04, 2014
It is confirmed that no process of legislative recall has ever worked in Nigeria for the simple reason that it is a very cumbersome process. This is another dimension to the APC/PDP struggle in Nasarawa. My guess is that it is just a merely ploy to get the legislators to affected to back down. Any well lettered lawyer should know that the process of recall is easier said than done.
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by revelationuche: 1:06pm On Aug 04, 2014
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by kipesco(m): 1:20pm On Aug 04, 2014
Is that possible. Collecting signatures, before they finish the house might have concluded all plans and now there d governor has been petitioned with EFCC.
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by Realculture(m): 1:29pm On Aug 04, 2014
The only sad thing is the way the Governor is going about these whole thing.He should drop his pride n find a way of reaching out to these assembly members...bullying n all these schemes will only make matters worse
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by Caseless: 2:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
dridowu: The sh1t of paper used for compiling the signatures will thown into the latrine . The best move Gov Al-Makura can do is to have a real man-man meeting with the speaker or any of pdp members in the house so safe him from impeachment
almakura is taking d best step by making his supporters believe in him to d extent of making them to initiate this move against the speaker and deputy speaker. When these two ar kicked out, we hav 2 among the 20 lawmakers who ar eyeing these principal posts;they'l b called upon and their loyalty will b won ...and may likely decamp to d apc alongside their colleagues. Almakura wil hav d house by this step. That's victory!
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by kabba7(m): 3:11pm On Aug 04, 2014
dridowu: The sh1t of paper used for compiling the signatures will thown into the latrine . The best move Gov Al-Makura can do is to have a real man-man meeting with the speaker or any of pdp members in the house so safe him from impeachment

Do anyone here watch the begining of the investigtive panel this morning ? intrestingly the assembly members could not show up at the hearing for fear of thier shadows.
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by kabba7(m): 3:17pm On Aug 04, 2014
kipesco: Is that possible. Collecting signatures, before they finish the house might have concluded all plans and now there d governor has been petitioned with EFCC.

Aong the defence of the governor just before the commencement of the panel investigatating is that the impeachment saga is because of the refusal of Al -makura to hand over 10% from the recenty obtained loan of #100 billion its strange Jonathan is the arrowb head of the impeachers fraternity.
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by Descartes: 3:30pm On Aug 04, 2014
Nigerian politicians clowning since 500 BC tongue
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by bashemmy: 3:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
labaran Maku 2015 for all i care ::::nass city
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by gbegudujo: 9:45pm On Aug 04, 2014
Extremely difficult to do as all the people that voted must sign the recall paper and if anyone of them is dead the recalling is impossible so its barely impossible to do
Tosin007: Lol, so they recall legislators in Nigeria... I'm hearing this for the 1st time
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by gbegudujo: 9:51pm On Aug 04, 2014
U re correct extremely difficult and i know definitely not all the 45k would hate him APC is just using this as a decoy whch they are known for:NOISE and recognition
Hugoboi: It is confirmed that no process of legislative recall has ever worked in Nigeria for the simple reason that it is a very cumbersome process. This is another dimension to the APC/PDP struggle in Nasarawa. My guess is that it is just a merely ploy to get the legislators to affected to back down. Any well lettered lawyer should know that the process of recall is easier said than done.
Re: Impeachment: Nasarawa Speaker, 5 Others Face Recall by adanny01(m): 1:07pm On Aug 05, 2014
gbegudujo: Extremely difficult to do as all the people that voted must sign the recall paper and if anyone of them is dead the recalling is impossible so its barely impossible to do

Not all but one-half of the persons registered to vote in that member's Constituency.

Its not impossible as long as the required number is reached that require inec to initiate the recall processes. First of all there will be a cross check when all that signed must be confirmed as registered voters of the constituency and have reached one half of total registered voters. A referendum will be arranged and voting will be carried out and all must be withing 3months.

Why it has not happened in Nigeria is that the political party and the candidate move againts it with bribes and sort stopping people from signing it. In this case were two parties are involved, it will be a much more complicated one since a signature means a yes for the governor (who is doing well) and a decline means no for the governor. Since the governor is well love by the people anyone who doesnt sign is either bribed or benefits directly from the house member. Its like choosing between the governor and the house member.

Never have we had a recall reason better than this one. Ofcourse, the processes will stop once the members realise the number will be reached and move to reconcile with their constituents. It always ends this way.

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Crisis: Court Asked To Nullify State Congresses, Dissolve Buni-Led Committee / Uzodimma's Achievements In Imo Health Sector As He Marks 2 Years In Office (Pix) / President Buhari Visits Emir Of Hadejia HRH Dr Adamu Abubakar (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.