Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,793 members, 7,905,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 09:15 PM

Corruption Not Problem With Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption Not Problem With Nigeria (546 Views)

Corruption Not Nigeria’s Major Problem – Nwabueze Tells Buhari / Buhari Not Having Certificate Is Not Problem, Lieing Under Oath Is The Issue / Celebratng Mediocrity: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Worst Problem - Femke Van Zeijl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Corruption Not Problem With Nigeria by Docii001(m): 7:52am On Aug 05, 2014
With the result of the Ekiti state elections and what is happening in respect to Osun state,i have come to the conclusion that the problem in Nigeria is deeper than corruption. Its hard to understand why any Nigerian would still put their lives in the hands of a PDP flag bearer,not to talk of the likes of Fayose and Omisore who are of questionable character both morally and judicially-if the word exists. Ironically,they are thriving in Yoruba states,filled with yorubas who lay so much emphasis on cultural and moral values!
The pure truth is,if James Ibori can wriggle his way out of his present predicament with the UK law enforcement and return to Nigeria;do not be surprised to see him contesting for president in the not so distant future. Ordinarily,in a sane country someone like that,who has been proven to be a criminal should not even smell a whif of recognition but down here anything goes-its the jungle!
So what then is the problem if not corruption? I have come to the conclusion that there are three fundamental problems Nigerians(take note,i mean Nigerians as in the mass populace-individuals) have;
1)Amnesia
Nigerians forget everything;from their past heroes,to terrible criminals,to fuel subsidy scam,to ASUU strike,to Doctors strike,to aviation scam,to #bringbackourgirls...all these issues come up,we do what we know how to do best-curse,shout and Talk and then everyone forgets and life goes on. Nobody gets punished,removed from office or sanctioned,infact its like we clear the road for them to loot the more. My brother said the other day that the chibok girls are in the mercy of boko haram,that they would probably only be released when all of them have given birth and the children are becoming too much in the camp. I agreed with him,but with recent developments of how BH are acquiring their own territory,they might just have enough room. Those girls are already being forgotten;they dont make the news everyday again,no longer trending on twitter....ebola is now the selling news. Our actions even say we have forgotten them,becuase when you see PDP as a party doing so well in elections,you wonder are the peole really unhappy about all these? Are we not glad about all the scams which have gone unchecked? Are we not delighted with our current poverty level and insecurity?
Personally i would rather vote a goat,even a donkey or a pig into office than anyone from PDP,just to show my displeasure in the 15years they have had power. If we actually did this,anyone or party that goes into office would have it at the back of their minds that the Nigerian people do Remember and they would serve us better not becuase they love us but because they know we do not forget!

2) Lazy
Oh my,Nigerians are lazy! We can pray and fire those demons but when it comes to the work an average Nigerian is looking for the shortcut or another way to circumvent the process. A big problem is our over reliance on religion in this country-which breeds laziness. It seems our natural answer to every disaster in this country is prayer and prayer curses,but zero action. In the Bible,God saved Noah and his family through an ark but Noah had to build that crazy big ark-i know i would not like to be one of his sons then. Moses climbed a mountain for days,weeks,months just to get the miracle of the ten commandments. People remember the vision of pharaoh which Joseph miraculously interpreted but fail to understand the enormous hardwork involved in managing food resource for virtually a whole continent through a period of plenty and farmine. When following religion we interpret it to suit our own taste and selfish needs. The fair truth is Nigerians cannot stand up for what is right because they are too lazy;for them prayer,curses and side talks are easier options which give them a pseudo-impression that they are actually doing something.

3) A love for life- 'jaiye jaiye'
No one loves life more than a Nigerian. I mean i have met people from other countries,Africa and beyond and none of them display and unquenchable zest for life like your average Nigerian.
Beaten black and blue;old,poor and hungry: Nigerians still treasure their life till their last insignificant breath. Pushed to the brink of oblivion through poverty and insecurity by a government that hardly cares,talk of a revolution is hardly possible because Nigerians would rather find another way that puts them at least danger-opportunistic behaviour. Its safer to kidnap innocent civilians and demand ransom,its more rewarding to scam online,runs,prostitution,etc...at least no one gets shot or detained like they do in protests. Nigerians are the only people who i see that could only be brought together to protest a matter as serious as fuel price hike by music,food and jamboree. Once the jamboree stopped,people gradually dispersed and forgot about the seriousness of the matter. Why will anyone take your DEMAND serious when they see you dancing like clowns on tv on a matter which would further empoverish your family that was brought about by the greediness of a few-they should have seen angry,hungry faces instead!
I was making a trip and this old lady in the bus said a prayer. What struck me most about the prayer was her continued emphasis on protection,how the bus must not have accident,how we must not die....and so on. It was so palpable,her fear of death; this lady of over 80 something,with a scanty arrangement of teeth i presume the only thing she would be able to eat must be thoroughly grinded. She would have undoubtedly seen it all,but if we were to be in a crashing plane would still fight me viciously for the last parachute. There is actually nothing wrong with wanting to live,but when your love for life impedes you from making a mark or difference then that is where there's a problem. If the people of South Africa loved their lives more than their freedom,they would still be squatters and slaves in their own territory. We are not so different from them in our present predicament-we work for a few to enjoy the benefits. We are the ones suffering from the insecurity and poverty in this country brought about by corrupt and bad leadership. All our leaders are far away from harms way,they do not understand what we mean by epileptic power supply because they enjoy light 24/7. The time really has come for us to make a stand and show our displeasure not just by words of mouth but by action. Lets do the unthinkable and vote PDP out! Lets send shock waves through the spine of our supposed leaders. Let them for once be held accountable for their actions and inactions-that is what democracy is about. For 15years we have deteriorated as a country and its not more arguable,its totally palpable. We cannot continue to pat them on the back and say welldone. Bottomline is lets start to hold our leaders accountable,this is the only way we can move forward as a nation! No room for sentiments,zoning or 'my brother' again. We cannot continue to use our future to 'play kite'.

(1) (Reply)

Nurse Takes Ebola To Enugu, 21 Quarantined / I / FG Reinstates Sacked 16,000resident Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.