Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,751 members, 7,938,303 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 10:13 PM

Reasons You Relative Can't Help You Get A Job On Where They Works - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons You Relative Can't Help You Get A Job On Where They Works (785 Views)

I Got My Dream Job On Nairaland Please Help / Apply For A Parttime Job On A New Forum / Advice:50k Job No Transport Or 70k Job On Island To Spend 15k Transport? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reasons You Relative Can't Help You Get A Job On Where They Works by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 07, 2014
We all have relatives working in big
establishments both government and private
and as a job seeker you might be amazed and even agitated that your aunt or uncle working in that MNC isn’t helping you get a job in his/her firm. My job search lasted 9 months and in that time I expected my aunt (who works in the HR Department at Chevron
Nigeria) to help me get a job there, but no
show. It baffled me that I was connected, but
cannot download.lol

Anyways, I got a job and being employed has
exposed me to quite a number of reasons why your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work. Ceteris Paribus, they are as follows but not limited to the underlisted;

1. No entry level vacancy: Let’s face it; there
aren’t too many entry level positions available. Companies mostly want experienced hires- someone who knows the job well. So that your relative works there doesn’t mean he/she will recommend you
without the requisite experience.

2. Strict recruitment procedures: Some
companies have very strict recruitment procedures. Some are so strict even if you’rethe M.Ds daughter you won’t scale through unless by merit. For example, the Daughter of the GMD of NNPC who failed the 2012 recruitment tests. So believe me, that your uncle can only refer you to the recruitment
portal and nothing more. (Ceteris paribus o!)

3. Outsourcing: Most companies now
outsource HR functions to 3rd party consultants. E.g Dragnet etc. Ok, so vacancy opens at your uncle’s workplace, but the recruitment process is handled by Dragnet. The best he can do is to give the web link
and ensure that you’re invited for aptitude test. He can’t rig your test score for you. (Ceteris paribus o!)

4. Company policy: Most companies don’t employ people related by blood. So, that your uncle works there disqualifies you automatically. I heard of how a panel member at a job interview announced his relationship to a candidate and consequently excused himself. The candidate was his nephew.

5. ‘See finish’: There is something about
humans that makes us protective and secretive of our source of income. "ó fè mó bì mó shèn páwó" (Translation - they want to know how i make my money). So your uncle will rather submit your CV everywhere else except his workplace so that you will not “see him finish”.
There you have it; reasons your relatives
can’t help you get a job where they work. Add yours.....

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

... / [JOB VACANCY] Executive Assistant Position In Calabar / ICT Support Officer Needed For A Company In Ibadan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.