Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,870 members, 7,895,774 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 05:31 PM

Learn The Gre Word List - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Learn The Gre Word List (10438 Views)

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. / Where Are The Gre Gurus In The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 5:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
Word Count >> 45! (approximately)
209 views.

cool
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 11:33pm On Aug 16, 2014
Poignancy (poignant):: (noun) a quality that arouses emotions (especially pity or sorrow) synonyms : poignance Mnemonic: its sounds like pregnant! a pregnant woman's state is touching and pityful.

bourgeois:: middle class Mnemonic- �high class� family chicks are �gorgeous�, but �middle class� ones are a little bore... They are nothing but �bourgeois�

Languid:: Weary; sluggish; listless Mnemonic- languid sounds like "land guide" which is a slow and boring job

Hiatus:: Interruption. pause Mnemonic: HIAAATUSS....Just think of the soud those Big Luxirious bus make(from the pressured brake system) before they stop.

Meretricious :: flashy; tawdry; attractive on the surface but of no real value Mnemonic: like a merit (meret) certificate.. flashy and attractive in a way.. but of no REAL value..

Menagerie :: collection of wild animals on exhibition; zoo Mnemonic: to MANAGE JERRY [ of tom and jerry cool ]u keep him in the zoo.

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by shakol91(m): 12:48am On Aug 17, 2014
Good work @OP. @ tolutweety,we are waiting for you to drop your green version
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by ridimic1: 1:16am On Aug 21, 2014
gregarious,,:ability to socialize
belie ;to give a false representation to something
ingenuous ; innocent and naive
brb smiley

2 Likes

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by shakol91(m): 9:01pm On Aug 21, 2014
Please let's have more @ electronic,ridimic1,tolutweety, amscholar001 and others

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 22, 2014
Extemporaneous-----doing something spontaneously

IGnobility ----- not noble

Depraved-----corruption...Nigeria is a depraved body

Deprecate means to condemn.

MODIFIED

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 1:03am On Aug 24, 2014
sorry guys!! more words coming!!! cool
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 2:07am On Aug 24, 2014
Waiting for u
electronic: sorry guys!! more words coming!!! cool

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 11:44pm On Aug 24, 2014
Delineate- portray; depict; sketch; describe

a) FOCUS ON line IN DElineATE & RELATE WITH OUTLINE N PORTRAY c) delineate sounds like alienate, and if you are attacked by aliens, you would describe the event in vivid detail in order to make people believe you! d) focus on deli+NEAT+e..neat part of word....well during your interview you were asked to draw a NEAT sketch of yours. e) deLINEATE-if u can concentrate on the highlightened one,ie lineateit tells the meaning that it is single,in a straight line,linear.so delineate is the opposite,ie to describe,dipict,potray ,sketch..

Ascetic Austere, simple, avoiding physical pleasures and comforts, self denial, abstainer, Spartan Mnemonics: :Ascetic ~ acidic; he is living ascetic life by drinking and eating only acidic things (not good in taste) and avoid anything have good taste. � someone who leaves all AESTHETICs is an ascetic

Precocious advanced in development Mnemonics: - it can be pre+conscious(conscious). i.e. thing or person who/which is very conscious in advance.

Unequivocal(adj) :plain; clear; obvious Ex: "unequivocal evidence", "took an unequivocal position", "an unequivocal success", "an unequivocal promise", "an unequivocal (or univocal) statement" synonyms : unambiguous , univocal

Equivocal: ambiguous, intentionally misleading If everyone spoke in an "equal-voice" you wouldn't be able to decipher who was calling.

Guileless Mnemonic: TRANSPARENT or EXPLICIT -something that is crystal clear.

Immutable Meaning : unchangeable Mnemonic :Immutable is something immune to changes. Word.

Belligerent: Meaning: quarrelsome Mnemonics: : Just relate it wid another GRE word�BELLICOSE

we are to make here a VOCABULARY DATABASE 4 GRE WORDS!!! cool more coming!!!

3 Likes

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 12:58am On Aug 25, 2014
grin
INSIDIOUS: Meaning: Beguiling but harmful..(insidious pleasures) Stealthy,sly Working or spreading in a hidden and usually injurious way Mnemonics: : see the part (insid)everybody can speak like they are unselfish but.INSIDE their heart everyone in sly(cunning)

Vilify slander,insult Mnemonics: -vilify(sound like villain)--- villans always insults others

Juxtapose :: place side by side Mnemonics: (Tag: ) juxta..just next+pose..(place)..so place something just next to something.

Ameliorate get better, amend, better, improve, meliorate. Mnemonics: Take the suffix 'rate'. With the increase in product rate its quality will also improve.

calumny malicious misrepresentation Mnemonics: - rhymes with ALUMNI--imagine urself slandering n defaming some of ur college ALUMNI.

venerate revere Mnemonics: -ven(..when)U RATE someone higher.. you TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT .

Contrite: Meaning: feeling or expressing pain or sorrow for sins or offenses; penitent; remorseful , rueful , ruthful Mnemonics: : split as cont (count) -rite (right). count the cash right, else you will regret it.

Veracious truthful Mnemonics: -the root word 'VER' refers to true.. hence we can frame words like: veracious - truthful and verisimilitude - an appearence of truth.

Veracity truthfulness. Mnemonics: -ver=truth so truthfulness or honesty

Paucity: scarcity take it as somebody saying about a city as pau;in hindi PAU(pao-a small weght)i.e "ek pau ki to city hai" or in a "city", there is a "scarcity" of many things or pa+city works has been PAused in CITY bcoz of SCARICITY

Patrician: noble, aristocratic patrician~britan; They are very critical about their behaviour in public as they think they are noble and aristocratic!

Peccadillo: slight offense "pecc" (actually, pecado) refers to "mistake" as in impeccable. pecking others etc., So, peccadillo means small mistake

Prosaic: (adj.) not challenging; dull and lacking excitement Mnemonic: mosaic--->beautiful artistic work with full of vibrant colours.....prosaic ...opposite of that ...dull; divide it like pros(prose)+aic- prose consist of facts and facts do not produce any interest in you, do not require any imagination.

Pugnacitysadnoun) a natural disposition to be hostile Mnemonic: PUGNACIOUS - a PUG(a breed of dog) who is Vicious.So Pugnacity can be related; (Tag: hindi) Reverse 'gn' to 'ng' to make- 'punga'-'city' ( quarrelsome place).

Disparate :: basically different; unrelated Mnemonic: Dis(this) + parate(parrot) is different from the rest. But how?? It can talk!!!

Sedulous: which means diligent, hardworking (people easily forget this word) Mnemonic: It sounds like study-lous!!

Egregious: To stand out in a bad way Mnemonics: it sounds like Erroious!! The dictator's abuse of human rights was so egregious.

Profuse: If something literally pours out in abundance! GoodLuck was sweating profusly after the Chibok Girls Fiasco!.. #BRINGBACKOURGIRLS

EXTANT::still in existence Mnemonic:remember it as a short of EXISTANT

Assiduous Diligent, persevering, industrious, attentive, tireless, hardworking Mnemonics: � A$$ is donkey and donkey is hardworking. � acid+do, to get acid sharp results you need to do it diligently\� As+Siduo+us: If you know the meaning of Sedulous, which means diligent, hardworking. One can find the same word in Assiduous too. AS+SEDUOL+OUS.

2 Likes

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 1:19am On Aug 25, 2014
Tricky Words!! BE CAREFULL Even though they sound easy!!

Stem: It means to hold back or limit the flow of growth of something Mnemonic: You can STEM bleeding on your leg before the emergency Ambulance arrives.. grin (create ur own mnemonic)..

Blinkered: Means to have a limited outlook or understanding. mnemonic: sounds like blink, when you blink alot, you are likely to miss something..

Check: To check something is to stop its growth My wife told me to check my biggy belle before she vex enter one chance cool (Am Single!)

Checkered: It describes a past marked with disreputable happenings. Mnemonic: Checke-Red when you Check turns RED, it means you bad spending habits don cast..

Raft: Its an inflatable boat, it also means a large number of something(take note). Mnemonics: Raft sounds like RAT! there are plenty rats in the dustbin..

Involved: As far as GRE is concerned, it means COMPLICATED! (honestly).. The Neurologist got so INVOLVED that his students were almost in COMA!!..lol

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by ridimic1: 1:20am On Aug 25, 2014
eletriconic u got pm
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 1:20am On Aug 25, 2014
WORD COUNT 100
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 1:21am On Aug 25, 2014
ridimic1: eletriconic u got pm
Aight
i just Followed! i guess u shld send again!!...the prev mail had Admin ish on it!!!
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 25, 2014
Make electronic jst help me write my verbal...lol
Nice work

Please I intend scheduing my test for November...The issue is will I be able to get a spot if I just pay by say first week of Sept?
Secondly, I m billed to serve in Nov, can i register it mayb on d first week or shld i jst move it to Dec? Cos i m suspecting the orientation camp thingy might clash wt d test...
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 25, 2014
Artless....To be innocent or guile

Artful means to be deceptive
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 25, 2014
Innocuous .....not harmful;safe
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 10:44pm On Aug 25, 2014
Expansive: One who is communicative and prone to talk in a sociable manner.

Retiring: To be shy and to be inclined to retract company.

Base: lower Class

Imbibe: literally it means to drink!. Figuratively, it can also refer to an intake of knowledge.

Inundate: it means to flood, figuratively, to be inundated means to be overwhelmed by too many people or things.

Scintillating: Figuratively, it describes someone who is brilliant and lively.

Benighted: To be in a state of ignorance Mnemonic: Be-Night, night represents a cloud of darkness over people; indicating ignorance.

Galvanize: Means to excite to action or spur on.

Hedge: mean playing safely, to avoid making a direct statement. taking caution etc.

Flush: It has three other meanings stated below.
To turn red, to be in Abundance,to drive out of hiding.

Fell: it also means evil
Mnemonics: it sound like Hell (#endtimethings)

Arch: It also means to be delibrately teasing..

Wanting: Means lacking...

Becoming: When something is becoming, it is appropirate and matches nicely.

Fleece: it means to decieve.. many have been fleeced by yahoo yahoo boys!...

Start: To suddenly move or dart in a particular direction.

Qualify: (Very tricky GRE word!) is to limit!

Kowtow: It has a negative connotation and implies that a person is acting in a subservient or sycophantic manner.

Powwow it means an informal discussion or colloquy.

Imbroglio: It describes a confusing, and potentially embarrassing situation.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by ridimic1: 1:48am On Aug 26, 2014
anomalous; not normal
aberration; a deviation from what is normal
ingenuous; to be naive or innocent
venality; to be susceptible to corruption or bribe
parsimonous; extremely fugal

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by shakol91(m): 1:59am On Aug 26, 2014
Electronic dey spit fire now cheesy ride on bro
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by TeeVee(m): 4:45pm On Aug 26, 2014
Gossamer (omo mi, go-sa-mer pelu glass yen oo) - light,delicate

Inveterate - habitual

Malediction (maleh shud diction U̶̲̥̅̊...kidding) - Curse

Hegemony - lay claim over an area

Rustic - characterized by rural properties

Maintained - asserted

Diference - Respect, revere
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by lequatee(m): 12:28am On Aug 27, 2014
my shout out goes to everyone who has contributed to make this thread what it is today. in accordance to the main purpose for which this thread was opened, i am of the opinion that we start-up a thread for the issue and arguement task.

we will pick a stipulated number of topics from both the issue and argument task from the ETS OFFICIAL POOL of questions and proffer points and viable solutions to the questions as well as example(s) to bolster the validity of the point.

the thing is this: when there is teamwork, its easier for everyone to achieve success with little stress and there is general progress. future nigerians can access this information and help bring themselves up to speed for the exam. progress for one Nigerian is progress for the country and as such for us.
if we prefer to make it a group thing cos of protection of intellectual property... well its also welcome. so please i will like to get about 10 likes and know if it should be made public (thread) or we make it a group thing. have i spoken the mind of progressive Nigerians? thanks.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 12:34am On Aug 27, 2014
Wa gba iyi...
Thoughtful of you,really...
Two parts I am not really confident about yet are the Argument task and the Reading Comprehension. I really need to complete this my school searching and go back to serious study. I am interested in this thread.

lequatee: my shout out goes to everyone who has contributed to make this thread what it is today. in accordance to the main purpose for which this thread was opened, i am of the opinion that we start-up a thread for the issue and arguement task.

we will pick a stipulated number of topics from both the issue and argument task from the ETS OFFICIAL POOL of questions and proffer points and viable solutions to the questions as well as example(s) to bolster the validity of the point.

the thing is this: when there is teamwork, its easier for everyone to achieve success with little stress and there is general progress. future nigerians can access this information and help bring themselves up to speed for the exam. progress for one Nigerian is progress for the country and as such for us.
if we prefer to make it a group thing cos of protection of intellectual property... well its also welcome. so please i will like to get about 10 likes and know if it should be made public (thread) or we make it a group thing. have i spoken the mind of progressive Nigerians? thanks.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by lequatee(m): 12:35am On Aug 27, 2014
[quote author=TeeVee]Gossamer (omo mi, go-sa-mer pelu glass yen oo) - light,delicate

Inveterate - habitual

Malediction (maleh shud diction U̶̲̥̅̊...kidding) - Curse

Hegemony - lay claim over an area

Rustic - characterized by rural properties

Maintained - asserted

Diference - Respect, revere[/quote

good work bro but the last one is : DEFERENCE not DIference.
ride on sir, we will strike gold someday.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 7:58pm On Aug 30, 2014
Juggernaut: It refers to any large force that cannot be stopped.

Amuck(amok): to be frenzied (exitment)..

Pariah It means an outcast

nabob: It means a wealthy, influential person. Mnemonics: Na-bob be that? the guy don hammer cool

FRENCH WORDS!! Sangfroid: Itliterally means cold-blooded, it is defined as calmness and poise,especially in trying situations.

Parvenu / Arriviste: This is a derogatory connotation that refers to someone who has recently acquired wealth, and has therefore risen in class.

Melee: It means a wild, confusing fight or struggle. Mnemonics: It has Me-Lee should represent bruce - Lee(the guy shouts in a fight).

Lagniappe: A lagniappe is any unexpected gift.

...credits (Magoosh)

Eponym: its a word that is derived from the proper name of a real or mythical person or place.

EPONYMS!!

Gerrymander: manipulating of boundaries to favour a certatin group.

Hector: To bully Someone.

Pollyannaish: Means extremely optimistic.

Chauvinist: Any one who thinks that their group is better than anybody else's group.

Pyrrhic: A victory that comes at a cost.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 12:13am On Aug 31, 2014
Sinister: Evil

Quixotic: Someone who is widly idealistic.

Maudlin: A person that cries in public for no good reason.

Panglossian: It implies blind optimism.

Malapropism: Mixing up similar sounding words. Quisling: A Traitor.

Byzantine: Anything that is extremely inticate and complex.

Supercilious: is to be haughty and disrespectful. That is, when we look down at someone in a demeaning way.

Protean: it's used to represent one with versatility. So an actor,musician, or writer who is very versatile is protean.

Sartorial: relates to clothing, or tailored fashion.

Saturine: To be saturine is to be morose.

Mercurial: it refers to a personality of anybody that is unpredictable.

Jaundice: (GRE meaning) Is defined as one who is biased as a result of envy or prejudice.

Jejune: To be dull,Insipid and lacking flavour.

Bilious: (from the word bile) It means to be constantly irritable.

Choleric/Bilious

Sanguine: To be cheerful and optimistic....

Credits: MAGOOSH
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by lequatee(m): 1:13am On Sep 01, 2014
Hello house, i once called for a solution pool for the GRE analytical writing and the response wasnt very encouraging. for the benefit of those who want it, it exists already and i implore you to search for it online and open your mind to the solutions discussed there. once again, thanks everyone.

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 2:23am On Sep 01, 2014
lequatee: Hello house, i once called for a solution pool for the GRE analytical writing and the response wasnt very encouraging. for the benefit of those who want it, it exists already and i implore you to search for it online and open your mind to the solutions discussed there. once again, thanks everyone.

Noted!!!
too much to read!!! sad
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by tolutweety(m): 10:50am On Sep 01, 2014

sorry i've been away..

deleterious - harmful
demure - modest,shy,diffident
derelict (noun),vagabond,vagrant,drifter,floater,bum - aimless,unsettled,continually changing especially from one abode/occupation to another.

dicker - to bargain ,argue over prices. E.G You dont just expect me to give in to that ridiculous price of garri without dickering,do you ?
delve - to investigate, to search E.G i delved into seun's relationship with some NL's ladies when i got the chance to ask him questions.
diaphamous - transparent,very sheer and light

sage - wise person E.G SAGE001 -the wisest of my group
sagacious - wise . The sagacious moniker on NL might just be the opposite of the real meaning of the moniker lipsrsealed
sadistic - deriving pleasure from inflicting pain on others.

circumvent - beleaguer,besiege,surround,outsmart,outthink,beat thru cleverness and wit

Gdmorning fellows !

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by tolutweety(m): 11:00am On Sep 01, 2014
sirRiddy: Innocuous .....not harmful;safe

Innocuous - the antonym of DELETERIOUS smiley
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by ridimic1: 4:34pm On Sep 01, 2014
sori i hv been away since

engender; to give rise to
mawkish; disgusting
torpor; inactivity due to loss of energy
preclude; t o keep from happening
eschew; to avoid deliberately..
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 11:52pm On Sep 01, 2014
engender can also mean "to create"
ridimic1: sori i hv been away since

engender; to give rise to
mawkish; disgusting
torpor; inactivity due to loss of energy
preclude; t o keep from happening
eschew; to avoid deliberately..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

OAU Suspends Six Students Indefinitely Over Allegations Of Cultism / Full List Of All The Military Schools In Nigeria And Their Locations / ASUU: Our Decision On Strike Will Be On Or Before Wednesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.