Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,465 members, 7,891,917 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 10:32 PM

Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? (598 Views)

Dear Oby, A People Have The Right To Choose Their Hero / Enugu Onitsha Expressway: A Reflection Of A People’s Nightmare / Zainab's. Article On Boko Haram. A People In Terminal Decline. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by 2gbasky22(m): 8:47am On Aug 13, 2014
These thoughts has been running through my mind for some time now, and i don't know if I'm the only person thinking along this line

take mathematics for example, how is calculus or almighty formulae suppose to affect our day to day life? not to talk of X+X(Y-Z)1 find X bla bla bla...........for God sake how is that supposed to affect the way am to relate with the guy next door? (please save me the sermon of it making you think fast

Our university system which is supposed to be the height of education is not even helping matter with the way they chunk theories that where propounded in the 15th and 16th century that are never put to practice through the throat of our undergraduates year in year out................little wonder a graduate of electrical engineering do know how to connect a lamp holder from a junction box

come to the social sciences which is suppose to be the study of human behaviour,environment, our social life and the way we relate with ourselves. This is another theory induced curriculum altogether where we are thought history upon history that is not relevant in our everyday life

No gain saying the departments of pure and applied art and agric science are almost a share waste of 4 and 5 years respectively

My idea of what the curriculum should be is that we should be thought what we need for our everyday life.
THINGS LIKE: how to create and manage wealth, nation building, peacefull coexistence, etc. And not some archaic history and laws that was propounded some 14th century ago

The important of medicine and science cannot be over emphasized, then it should be thought with adequate practicals and exposure and not this copy and paste method that is holding sway in our fatherland

please share your thoughts
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by Ramon92: 10:14am On Aug 13, 2014
Our educational system is tailored to make us feel inferior and serve those who brought them to us - by using our brains to develop them 'masters'..
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by AZeD1(m): 10:48am On Aug 13, 2014
"take mathematics for example, how is calculus or almighty formulae suppose to affect our day to day life? not to talk of X+X(Y-Z)1 find X bla bla bla...........for God sake how is that supposed to affect the way am to relate with the guy next door? (please save me the sermon of it making you think fast"

This excerpt from your post shows that its not the educational system that's the problem but the student. If you are asking how mathematics is supposed to affect the way you relate with the guy next door, then you don't know what maths is all about and that is your problem not that of the educational system.

"Our university system which is supposed to be the height of education is not even helping matter with the way they chunk theories that where propounded in the 15th and 16th century that are never put to practice through the throat of our undergraduates year in year out................little wonder a graduate of electrical engineering do know how to connect a lamp holder from a junction box"

The so called theories that where propounded in the 15th and 16th century are still valid today and if you plan to make any meaningful impact in the world today especially in science and engineering, you need to know and understand those theories.
PS: Electrical engineers are not supposed to connect lamp holders, they are supposed to design electrical systems.

"My idea of what the curriculum should be is that we should be thought what we need for our everyday life.
THINGS LIKE: how to create and manage wealth, nation building, peaceful coexistence, etc. And not some archaic history and laws that was propounded some 14th century ago "

You don't go to school to learn how to create wealth, you go to school to gain knowledge which in turn might get you wealth. This is your problem and not that of the educational system.

"The important of medicine and science cannot be over emphasized, then it should be thought with adequate practicals and exposure and not this copy and paste method that is holding sway in our fatherland "
This is the only part that makes sense and the major problem is not from the curriculum but from the method and mode of instruction.

Application of Mathematics for those who do not know
Pythagoras Theorem: Roofing.. If you go to any building site during the roofing stage, you'd see the wood are arranged in the form of a triangle, most people including the carpenters don't know that its based on Pythagoras theorem.

Sets and Graph: This topics are very important in the field of computer science. The Facebook feature 'people you might know' is based on graphs.

Calculus:This is the foundation of engineering need i say more?
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by 2gbasky22(m): 7:20pm On Aug 13, 2014
AZeD1: "take mathematics for example, how is calculus or almighty formulae suppose to affect our day to day life? not to talk of X+X(Y-Z)1 find X bla bla bla...........for God sake how is that supposed to affect the way am to relate with the guy next door? (please save me the sermon of it making you think fast"

This excerpt from your post shows that its not the educational system that's the problem but the student. If you are asking how mathematics is supposed to affect the way you relate with the guy next door, then you don't know what maths is all about and that is your problem not that of the educational system.

"Our university system which is supposed to be the height of education is not even helping matter with the way they chunk theories that where propounded in the 15th and 16th century that are never put to practice through the throat of our undergraduates year in year out................little wonder a graduate of electrical engineering do know how to connect a lamp holder from a junction box"

The so called theories that where propounded in the 15th and 16th century are still valid today and if you plan to make any meaningful impact in the world today especially in science and engineering, you need to know and understand those theories.
PS: Electrical engineers are not supposed to connect lamp holders, they are supposed to design electrical systems.

"My idea of what the curriculum should be is that we should be thought what we need for our everyday life.
THINGS LIKE: how to create and manage wealth, nation building, peaceful coexistence, etc. And not some archaic history and laws that was propounded some 14th century ago "

You don't go to school to learn how to create wealth, you go to school to gain knowledge which in turn might get you wealth. This is your problem and not that of the educational system.

"The important of medicine and science cannot be over emphasized, then it should be thought with adequate practicals and exposure and not this copy and paste method that is holding sway in our fatherland "
This is the only part that makes sense and the major problem is not from the curriculum but from the method and mode of instruction.

Pythagoras Theorem: Roofing.. If you go to any building site during the roofing stage, you'd see the wood are arranged in the form of a triangle, most people including the carpenters don't know that its based on Pythagoras theorem.

Sets and Graph: This topics are very important in the field of computer science. The Facebook feature 'people you might know' is based on graphs.

huh..........
Story for the gods!
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by 2gbasky22(m): 7:58pm On Aug 13, 2014
AZeD1: "take mathematics for example, how is calculus or almighty formulae suppose to affect our day to day life? not to talk of X+X(Y-Z)1 find X bla bla bla...........for God sake how is that supposed to affect the way am to relate with the guy next door? (please save me the sermon of it making you think fast"

bro, u Claim in ur post that roofing is based on pythagoras theorem
do these men know what dat theorem is?
Did they went through the kind of boring process u went through in learning pythagoras theorem?
You or any other person who has gone through series of pythagoras theory classes, can u roof a house?
U see what i mean when i say what we learn cannot be used in our everyday life

you also said electrical engineer are supposed to fix lamp holders
please tell me whose job it is??
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by AZeD1(m): 8:06pm On Aug 13, 2014
"bro, u Claim that in ur post that roofing is based on pythagoras theorem
Did theu went through the kind of boring process u went through in learning pythagoras theorem?
You or any other person who has gone through series of pythagoras theory classes, can u roof a house?
U see what i mean when i say what we learn cannot be used in our everyday life "

Its true that the carpenters did not study Pythagoras theorem but the Architects did and that's why the architects get paid more.

"you also said electrical engineer are not supposed to fix lamp holders
please tell me whose job it is??"

People who go to technical school.
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by 2gbasky22(m): 2:35am On Aug 14, 2014
AZeD1: "bro, u Claim that in ur post that roofing is based on pythagoras theorem
Did theu went through the kind of boring process u went through in learning pythagoras theorem?
U see what i mean when i say what we learn cannot be used in our everyday life "

Its true that the carpenters did not study Pythagoras theorem but the Architects did and that's why the architects get paid more.

"you also said electrical engineer are not supposed to fix lamp holders
please tell me whose job it is??"

People who go to technical school.

can a graduate of electrical engineering from any of Nigeria university design an electronic system?? Lets say maybe a pocket radio
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by AZeD1(m): 7:48am On Aug 14, 2014
2gbasky22:

can a graduate of electrical engineering from any of Nigeria university design an electronic system?? Lets say maybe a pocket radio

Yes. Plenty.
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by 2gbasky22(m): 9:55am On Aug 14, 2014
AZeD1:

Yes. Plenty.

na wash
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by acorntree(m): 10:48am On Aug 14, 2014
2gbasky22:

The problem with our educational system is that we lay too much emphasis on theories rather than practicals. Most of the curriculum being taught still covers outdated topics which are no longer relevant to modern day . Garbage in garbage out.
Re: Is Our Educational System Tailored Toward Improving Us As A People Or Otherwise? by AZeD1(m): 11:56am On Aug 14, 2014
acorntree: The problem with our educational system is that we lay too much emphasis on theories rather than practicals. Most of the curriculum being taught still covers outdated topics which are no longer relevant to modern day . Garbage in garbage out.
Can you back up the assertion you made with proofs?

What has changed so much in engineering in the last 10/20/30/40/50 years that makes our curriculum outdated?
What has changed so much in the sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics) in the last 10/20/30/40/50 years that makes our curriculum outdated.

If you say mode of instruction, i'll agree with you.

PS: I'm talking university education here.

(1) (Reply)

I Owe No One Any Apology Says Minister Who Cleared Patrick Sawyer To Travel / Three Killed, Two injured As APC, Pdp supporters Clash In nasarawa / Do You Know There Is A Solution To Ebola????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.