Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,000 members, 7,919,187 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 11:42 PM

How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' (6103 Views)

Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis / The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by chuxyz(m): 10:14am On Aug 14, 2014
Yamiri is actually no Hausa or Fulani word like most people will think, neither does it have any meaning in any of these languages. The word Yamiri originated as a mockery to the Igbo captives during the civil war (a.k.a Nigerian-Biafra war). This captives were usually starved or poorly fed. Most of them who can only speak the Igbo language will only try to request for water from their captors and would say nye m mmiri which means 'give me water' when translated to english language. Nye m mmiri was what the Hausa/Fulani soldiers pronounced as Yamiri which later became a mockery name for the Igbos. This name has been able to stick around till date as a mockery name for Igbos even with most of them(Hausas, Fulanis and Igbos) not knowing it's actual origin.
Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by MANGAM(m): 10:26am On Aug 14, 2014
what about the mockery word aboki which is used by easterners and westerner to refer to all northerns?

1 Like

Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by whirlwind7(m): 10:54am On Aug 14, 2014
MANGAM: what about the mockery word aboki which is used by easterners and westerner to reffer to all northerns?

Someone told me that "aboki" means "my friend" Don't know if its true.
Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 14, 2014
The Hausa-Fulani were calling the Igbo 'Nyamiri' before the Civil War.

2 Likes

Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by MANGAM(m): 11:36am On Aug 14, 2014
Aboki means my friend in Hausa language .
whirlwind7:

Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by tobtap: 1:31pm On Aug 14, 2014
chuxyz: Yamiri is actually no Hausa or Fulani word like most people will think, neither does it have any meaning in any of these languages. The word Yamiri originated as a mockery to the Igbo captives during the civil war (a.k.a Nigerian-Biafra war). This captives were usually starved or poorly fed. Most of them who can only speak the Igbo language will only try to request for water from their captors and would say nye m mmiri which means 'give me water' when translated to english language. Nye m mmiri was what the Hausa/Fulani soldiers pronounced as Yamiri which later became a mockery name for the Igbos. This name has been able to stick around till date as a mockery name for Igbos even with most of them(Hausas, Fulanis and Igbos) not knowing it's actual origin.
ibos claiming every word originated from there language....hausas have been calling ibos nyamiri b4 d civil war
Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by chuxyz(m): 5:21pm On Aug 14, 2014
tobtap:
ibos claiming every word originated from there language....hausas have been calling ibos nyamiri b4 d civil war
were you born before the civil war to know if they call Igbos yamiri before then? My late grandfather who fought in the civil war who does yam business between North and South-east before and after the civil war narrated the story to me. I'm very sure it didn't start before the civil war else my grandfather would have told me they use to call him that before the civil war. What do we gain for claiming words. Go ask any hausa man the meaning of yamiri - it has no meaning in their language. The word was coined from igbo language.

1 Like

Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 14, 2014
The word doesn't stop Igbo from being Igbo.
Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by zenti99(m): 6:18am On Aug 15, 2014
chuxyz: were you born before the civil war to know if they call Igbos yamiri before then? My late grandfather who fought in the civil war who does yam business between North and South-east before and after the civil war narrated the story to me. I'm very sure it didn't start before the civil war else my grandfather would have told me they use to call him that before the civil war. What do we gain for claiming words. Go ask any hausa man the meaning of yamiri - it has no meaning in their language. The word was coined from igbo language.
have you read kaduna boy written by late chief Bola Ige? when he was a kid living at zaria the igbos in his compound were called that [not in their prescence though o] and that was way before the civil war
Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by uduokirika1(m): 8:43am On Aug 15, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]
chuxyz: Yamiri is actually no Hausa or Fulani word like most people will think, neither does it have any meaning in any of these languages. The word Yamiri originated as a mockery to the Igbo captives during the civil war (a.k.a Nigerian-Biafra war). This captives were usually starved or poorly fed. Most of them who can only speak the Igbo language will only try to request for water from their captors and would say nye m mmiri which means 'give me water' when translated to english language. Nye m mmiri was what the Hausa/Fulani soldiers pronounced as Yamiri which later became a mockery name for the Igbos. This name has been able to stick around till date as a mockery name for Igbos even with most of them(Hausas, Fulanis and Igbos) not knowing it's actual origin.

The Hausa/Fulani have been calling the Igbo YAMIRI for a very long time before the civil war. the origin like my Grandfather (who settled in the far north in the late1930s) once told me was a result of excessive heat often experienced by newly arrived Igbo traders which made them request for water at every point in time to quench their thirst, as a result 'nye mu mmiri' became the first igbo word the hausas knew, so also is 'aboki' vice versa
More so, a review of some civil war literature will educate you better, i recommend you read AlexAnder Mmaduebo's civil war memoir, Chimamanda Adichie's half of a yellow sun, Chinua Achebe's There was a country and many others.

The civil war only made the name more popularly used since it became some sort of mockery to civil war captives mostly at the Enugu axis of the Biafran territory which borders Northern nigeria.
Just like 'Aboki' which had been in use for only God knows when but you will agree with me that its becoming more popular almost eliminating 'mallam' that was in vogue before why? because 'Aboki' have recently become a mockery name for Hausas/Fulanis
Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by worldmidom: 10:00am On Mar 21, 2015
Wrong ·Yamiri· was not created during the Biafra war although it is a mockery name from the Hausa to the Igbos it has always existed decades before that war. In fact that definition is at the limit of an insult to any Igbo called so but certainly a lack of respect to be called Yamiri.
Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by worldmidom: 10:08am On Mar 21, 2015
In fact the Hausas don't pronounce the word Yamiri but they say Nyamiri.

1 Like

Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by Nobody: 1:29am On Feb 01, 2016
whirlwind7:

Well.... Hope this answers your question

Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by Nobody: 1:33am On Feb 01, 2016
What do you mean what does it mean? What about yoruba or bayarabe as we call it? FYI yoruba is a hausa term and it doesn't really mean anything, just that we use it to refer to yorubas just as we use inyamiri (single) or inyamurai (plural) to refer to Igbos. You need to stop trying to stir hatred.
Re: How Hausas/Fulanis Started Calling Igbos 'Yamiri' by woky: 9:26pm On Feb 01, 2016
yamiri dodondoya grin

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Proverbs And Their Stories / Chi In Igbo / Ijesha Indigene Go Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.