Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,787 members, 7,921,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 12:53 PM

Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread (9206 Views)

For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Why Are Some Female Customer Care Assistant Bankers Hyper-reactive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Ijeleigbo(m): 10:45am On Aug 15, 2014
My name is Anthony Eri, a final year student of Banking and Finance, Anambra State University, Igbariam Campus. I desire to undergo the CIBN program during my National Youth Service but my questions are as follows: 1. What is the difference between CIBN (ACIB) and ICAN? 2. Is it true that ICAN is stronger and better than CIBN? 3. Is it true that ICAN is the best professional certification in Nigeria? 4. What are the implications of being a chartered banker? 5. Is it true your salary, allowance/entitlements as a chartered banker are more attractive than that of a B.SC. Holder and chances of being promoted are higher? Seasoned and Professional bankers in the house, I need answers to these questions. Thanks!!!
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by TUNFOL: 2:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
Candid advice: If you desire to be grounded in real practice of Banking, then do CIBN. Mind you in many banks (especially, new generation banks) no one cares about your CIBN. There is a law in the CIBN act that criminalises practising banking without registration with CIBN . It actually prescribes 2yr jail term for offender. The act also prevents people who are not charterred Bankers from holding technical position in the banking sector. The truth is dat in practice, it is never enforced. You that has CIBN, and someone who has Bsc will be on d same level. He might even move ahead of U, if he can bring Accounts. The only thing U have ahead of him is knowledge. ICAN is better than CIBN because the later is limited to the banking sector. With ICAN, u can function in all industries because every organization needs the service of Accountant and Auditors. Though CIBN has started giving liscence to practice to members to boost entrepreneurship, but it is not as lucrative as ICAN's because the job of an external Auditor is statutory to prepared financial statement. Somebody like me for instance, I have ACIB and ACCA. I had ACIB when I was serving and even when I joined banking (despite my ACIB) I was recruited as a contract Staff because I have HND. Today, I have left banking for private practice and the truth is dat my ACCA is more useful than CIBN

3 Likes

Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Ijeleigbo(m): 5:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
TUNFOL: Candid advice: If you desire to be grounded in real practice of Banking, then do CIBN. Mind you in many banks (especially, new generation banks) no one cares about your CIBN. There is a law in the CIBN act that criminalises practising banking without registration with CIBN . It actually prescribes 2yr jail term for offender. The act also prevents people who are not charterred Bankers from holding technical position in the banking sector. The truth is dat in practice, it is never enforced. You that has CIBN, and someone who has Bsc will be on d same level. He might even move ahead of U, if he can bring Accounts. The only thing U have ahead of him is knowledge. ICAN is better than CIBN because the later is limited to the banking sector. With ICAN, u can function in all industries because every organization needs the service of Accountant and Auditors. Though CIBN has started giving liscence to practice to members to boost entrepreneurship, but it is not as lucrative as ICAN's because the job of an external Auditor is statutory to prepared financial statement. Somebody like me for instance, I have ACIB and ACCA. I had ACIB when I was serving and even when I joined banking (despite my ACIB) I was recruited as a contract Staff because I have HND. Today, I have left banking for private practice and the truth is dat my ACCA is more useful than CIBN
This is really wonderful!!! Thank you for this great insight.... Your words are full of wisdom and experience.... Young and ambitious youths who want to add value in their professional career will learn a great deal from this.... Thanks so much for your reply and wealthy contribution, I'm greatly indebted to you.... It is now true, verified and confirmed that ICAN is better than CIBN..... I'll go for ICAN and as a banking and finance student who have limited knowledge in Accounting, according to the little research I did, I will start from the foundation stage, study past questions and attend classes (If and only if the resources will be available) Can I still undergo ICAN in my National Youth service program? What are the challenges I might encounter as a copper studying for ICAN?? Any secrets for passing ICAN easily as I heard the exams are tough and people fail easily.... Thanks a million!!!
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Ijeleigbo(m): 12:49am On Aug 17, 2014
Still on the matter, is Professional certification the same level with masters? If No, why? As young graduates who aspire to be professional bankers, is the knowledge of xpss, cisco and some other IT packages an added advantage?? Please bankers let's resuscitate this thread and engage in productive discussion.
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by houseoftuition: 1:25am On Aug 28, 2014
You can now get Chartered from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by samir101ng(m): 11:24am On Aug 28, 2014
@Ijeleigbo,

As a final year student of Banking & Finance, you already have taken all the modules required to get the ACIB certification from CIBN. Kindly go to www.cibng.org for all the necessary information you need on the CIBN certification and benefits of being a chartered member. Secondly, as regards the difference between CIBN & ICAN, they are both useful qualifications depending on the career path you wish to take. Yes, it is true that ICAN is more expensive and difficult to pass than CIBN. Moreover, with the advent of ACCA into the nigerian labour industry, some employers give more preference to that being a more global certification than ICAN. kindly check out www.icanig.org/ican/ for more information. My advice, register and attempt the CIBN exams as it will be far more easier and cheaper for you as a banking/finance student. You will be granted so many exemptions. As a chartered banker, it does carry some weight and you can work in such units like audit, finance, superivision etc. You can complete the program before your service year runs out. To attempt ICAN however as a non accounting graduate, it is estimated you will take 48months (4yrs) before finishing. Like earlier stated, its also a far more demanding course both in terms of money, time and energy.

Professional certifications are not the same as Masters. They are however a step above the B.sc as they are an acknowledgement to others that you have mastered your field (chartered). An I.T qualification is now a necessary qualification to have as jobs demand certain I.T skills. Certifications like Cisco CCNA, Oracle DBA, etc are not necessary and are too advanced anyway. A basic computer diploma or microsoft office certificate from a well recognised institute like NIIT, APTECH, etc will suffice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Ijeleigbo(m): 6:24pm On Aug 29, 2014
samir101ng: @Ijeleigbo,

As a final year student of Banking & Finance, you already have taken all the modules required to get the ACIB certification from CIBN. Kindly go to www.cibng.org for all the necessary information you need on the CIBN certification and benefits of being a chartered member. Secondly, as regards the difference between CIBN & ICAN, they are both useful qualifications depending on the career path you wish to take. Yes, it is true that ICAN is more expensive and difficult to pass than CIBN. Moreover, with the advent of ACCA into the nigerian labour industry, some employers give more preference to that being a more global certification than ICAN. kindly check out www.icanig.org/ican/ for more information. My advice, register and attempt the CIBN exams as it will be far more easier and cheaper for you as a banking/finance student. You will be granted so many exemptions. As a chartered banker, it does carry some weight and you can work in such units like audit, finance, superivision etc. You can complete the program before your service year runs out. To attempt ICAN however as a non accounting graduate, it is estimated you will take 48months (4yrs) before finishing. Like earlier stated, its also a far more demanding course both in terms of money, time and energy.

Professional certifications are not the same as Masters. They are however a step above the B.sc as they are an acknowledgement to others that you have mastered your field (chartered). An I.T qualification is now a necessary qualification to have as jobs demand certain I.T skills. Certifications like Cisco CCNA, Oracle DBA, etc are not necessary and are too advanced anyway. A basic computer diploma or microsoft office certificate from a well recognised institute like NIIT, APTECH, etc will suffice.
Lovely! Lovely!! Lovely!!! Thanks for this rich piece.... You are absolutely right! I actually gave a deep thought about it.... CIBN would be easier for me than ICAN because I'm already acclimatized with all the courses.... And your reply on IT, Knowledge of the complete microsoft package is enough though, I'm only a professional in MSword, I hope to learn MSexcel and MSpower pinpoint via youtube videos and any relevant materials I can lay my hands on.... As a chartered banker, what course will be ideal to undergo in the master degree program?
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by pioneer: 4:17am On Sep 10, 2014
For your ICAN/ACCA/CIBN lectures, contact Excel
Associates.

Excel Associates is a foremost professional tuition
centre located in Ikorodu that provides lectures for
ATS, ICAN, ACCA, CISA and other programmes. For
enquiries, contact - 07081834869, 09092159476 or e-
mail: excelassociates2020@gmail.com,
info.excelassociates@gmail.com
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Ijeleigbo(m): 10:38am On Sep 11, 2014
pioneer: For your ICAN/ACCA/CIBN lectures, contact Excel
Associates.

Apologies! This is not an avenue for advertisement!!!

1 Like

Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Ijeleigbo(m): 10:38am On Sep 11, 2014
pioneer: For your ICAN/ACCA/CIBN lectures, contact Excel
Associates.

Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Nellz19(f): 10:15am On Aug 19, 2015
I'm a serving corp member and I studied BFN I Need to know which professional course is better maybe ACCA ICAN etc
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Ijeleigbo(m): 8:49am On Nov 12, 2015
Nellz19:
I'm a serving corp member and I studied BFN I Need to know which professional course is better maybe ACCA ICAN etc

ACCA is an international based recognized accounting professional exam. That is where it has an edge over ICAN.
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Stephanie75(f): 10:54am On Nov 12, 2015
I'm a final year student of Banking and Finance and I wish to sit for the CIBN exam next year. Any advice please?
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 27, 2016
Stephanie75:
I'm a final year student of Banking and Finance and I wish to sit for the CIBN exam next year. Any advice please?

Holla at me.
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Stephanie75(f): 8:47pm On Dec 25, 2016
Sacluxpaint:

Holla at me.
Hello sir
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 25, 2016
Stephanie75:

Hello sir

Sent u a Pm
Re: Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread by olabisipet: 11:31am On Jul 06, 2017
Please Help!!!! Am an Ond holder nd i want to go for CIBN and continue my processing my bcs, my question is will i be the same as a bsc contract staff working in the bank with my Ond and Chartered in banking certificate, please bfore i process or i should go directly for my bsc before doing CIBN....Please help me out i need response thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces / Nigerian Air Force Releases Postings Of 19 Air Vice Marshals And 22 Others / Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.