Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,353 members, 7,940,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 02:01 AM

Who Is Going To Win F1 Championship This Year? Lewis Hamilton Or Felipe Massa! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Going To Win F1 Championship This Year? Lewis Hamilton Or Felipe Massa! (720 Views)

Nigeria Vs Mali. African U23 Championship (3 - 2) On 29th November 2015 / Luiz Felipe Scolari Sacked As Brazil's Coach / Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Going To Win F1 Championship This Year? Lewis Hamilton Or Felipe Massa! by Anicia(f): 3:10pm On Oct 21, 2008
I LOVE F1 BUT NOW I AM NOT SHOW WHO IS GOING TO BE A WINNER OF THE TITLE ANYMORE,IT HAS BEEN SO TOUGH AND COMPETATIVE ,PLEASE HELP ME MAY BE YOU CAN MAKE A CORRECT GUESS.
Re: Who Is Going To Win F1 Championship This Year? Lewis Hamilton Or Felipe Massa! by Horus(m): 2:11pm On Nov 03, 2008
F1: Lewis Hamilton snatches world title
Nov 3 2008 Western Mail

LEWIS HAMILTON became the youngest Formula One world champion after what he described as “one of the toughest races of my life”.
The McLaren driver, 23, only needed to come fifth in the Brazilian Grand Prix to take the title and make history.
But he was trailing in sixth on the final lap after he was overtaken by German driver Sebastian Vettel.
He only took the title after a nail-biting finish which saw him overtake the slowing Timo Glock in the final minutes.
“It was just one of the toughest races of my life,” Hamilton said.
“My tyres were a little bit shot so I was struggling to keep the pace up.
“Then it started to drizzle and I didn’t want to take any risks.
“The last corner I managed to get past Glock – and I can only thank God.”
Hamilton said he still did not know if he had won the title when he passed the finish line at Sao Paolo’s Interlagos circuit.
When he heard the confirmation, he said: “I was ecstatic.”

Lewis Hamilton and Anthony Hamilton

He said it had been “a dream” to repay the faith that McLaren had shown in him.
Hamilton went into the race with a seven point lead over his nearest rival, Ferrari’s Felipe Massa.
The Brazilian driver had the support of his home crowd and Hamilton was booed when he pushed Massa into second place by only one point.
Hamilton’s father Anthony described the crowd’s reaction as “a shame” and said they should have been “fair sportsmen”.
“To be honest, I thought it was over. I thought it was gone. But I believed in God, I believed that right would come through,” he said.
“We have had to overcome a lot. I am extremely pleased not just for us but people like us.
“We came from nowhere, had a dream, worked hard, dedicated ourselves and here we are on top of the world.”
Hamilton’s brother Nick said Brazilian racing driver Ayrton Senna, who was killed in a crash in 1994, was his brother’s hero.
“It means so much to him to win the title here. Being here in Brazil, knowing it’s his country, it’s amazing.”
Also watching from the McLaren garage was Hamilton’s pop star girlfriend, Pussycat Dolls singer Nicole Scherzinger.
Massa looked close to tears after the race.
“It’s really an emotional day for me. You get here. You’ve almost done everything perfectly but I saw Lewis passing Glock and that really mixed a lot of emotions,” he said.
He said he was proud to have won the race and added: “I know how to win and I know how to lose.”
Last year it was Hamilton who lost by one point, to Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen.
He was leading the championship, but his dream of being the first driver to take the title in his rookie season was left in shreds at the same circuit where he today tasted success.
Hamilton is the first Briton to take the world championship since Damon Hill in 1996.
He joins an illustrious list of racing greats, including British drivers Nigel Mansell, James Hunt, Sir Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill, Jim Clark, John Surtees and Mike Hawthorn.
Hill said: “It’s a momentous day. We’re here celebrating another British world champion and I’m really pleased. He will go on and win more championships.”
Hamilton, who will be presented with the winner’s trophy at the gala dinner in Monaco early next month, managed five wins from 17 races despite a season plagued with difficulties.
The final race of the season was delayed by 10 minutes after a sudden downpour.
And there was drama from the start with Scottish driver David Coulthard, 37, crashing out with Nelson Piquet Jnr after just 300 metres in the final grand prix of his 15-season career.

Source: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/sports-news-round-up/2008/11/03/f1-lewis-hamilton-snatches-world-title-91466-22169626/

(1) (Reply)

Police Restrict Nff Sec. Gen's Movement Over Missing Eagles Money! / 2010 Uefa Champions League Final : Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid Host / Any Afl Fans Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.