Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,887 members, 7,942,225 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 01:59 AM

Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour (613 Views)

Fewer Americans Believe In God Now: New Study / Enter The Kingdom Of God Now! / Did Joseph Legally Separate From Mary After Jesus' Birth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour by Debonair01: 6:14am On Aug 17, 2014
First of, i am a christian, would even consider myself as born again (If that means having taken Jesus as ur personal lord and saviour)

But i have had this worry in my heart for some time. Especially with the body of christ in Nigeria. I am basing the premise of my line of thought on the fruits been bore by "christians" as we can all see.

On sundays, the churches across the nation are usually filled to the brim, then from monday to saturday, its business as usual, same cheaters, same embezzlers, same ritualist, same fornicators, same slanderers, same... you name it. The churches now emphasis loving God, defining loving Him by how much tithe you pay, or donations you make, or how much work you do in church, or how many vigils you attend, or how well you know the bible cover to cover, or how well you pray against witches and wizards. As much as all those are wonderful christian duties, the church has totally forgotten to preach simple love for our neighbours.

We spend so much time in church, yet can not resist pilfering that money in the office, or saying kind words to some one we run into, or taking genuine interest in pple - inquiring genuinely about their well being, or even something mundane as picking a fellow christian up in ur car on ur way frm church when going same way.

The average christian (your pastor included) wld see you as evil when you dnt come to church on sunday, but wld praise you and give you a front row seat in church if u steal tonnes of cash and donate same to church, even when they know you can't afford it.

If some pple are trying to live the christian life, then it is not nearly enough. Because, if it is, 1 person out of 10 is enough to really effect changes.

I THINK WE CHRISTIANS THEREFORE NEED TO SIT UP AND STOP DECEIVING OUR SELVES WITH LIVING PRETENTIOUS LIVES. LOVING GOD IS DEEPLY INTERTWINED WITH LOVING OUR NEIGHBOUR AND VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH WHAT WE DO IN CHURCH.
MONDAY TO SATURDAY IN A CHRISTIANS LIFE SHLD BE PREACHED TO BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE SUNDAY. THE SUNDAY IS JUST AN ICING ON THE CAKE.

BUT THEN AGAIN, WHAT DO ONE EXPECT WHEN THE ALTER OF GOD IS NOW FILLED WITH CHARLATANS AND THIEVES.

P.S: If any one is going to claim i am judging, so what? Anyways, observation and inference to me, is what i just did.
Re: Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour by Tallesty1(m): 6:42am On Aug 17, 2014
The bes place to worship God is inside your room.

The temple of God is you.

Nigerian pastors are business men, many of them do not have any relationship with Christ.

They preach with his name but not for him.

Many christian have been brainwashed by the spirits these pastor got their powers from.
Re: Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour by kgbd(m): 7:07am On Aug 17, 2014
Tallesty1: The bes place to worship God is inside your room.

The temple of God is you.

Nigerian pastors are business men, many of them do not have any relationship with Christ.

They preach with his name but not for him.

Many christian have been brainwashed by the spirits these pastor got their powers from.
and who are you "Mr room worshiper", all rant no substance!
Re: Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour by Tallesty1(m): 7:21am On Aug 17, 2014
kgbd: and who are you "Mr room worshiper", all rant no substance!
What is this one saying?
Re: Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour by kgbd(m): 7:33am On Aug 17, 2014
I just cannot fathom blaming false pastors, people choose pastors and ministries unto themselves, and are therefore responsible for the choices they make......... There are fake doctors for all i care. No one is being brainwashed. If it were that would have been good because our brain is filled with filth and corruption and needs washing and cleansing by the blood of Jesus. .................................If the life of a preacher differs from what he professes on sunday, if his words are not found in the word of God, if he does not backup is sermon with the scripture, stop your fellowship with such a ministry.
Re: Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour by kgbd(m): 7:39am On Aug 17, 2014
Tallesty1: What is this one saying?
I'm saying there are times you need not display foolishness, silence on matters not clear to you will make you a little more wiser.
Re: Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour by otipoju(m): 8:24am On Aug 17, 2014
Nowadays when someone tells me repeatedly that he is a Christian, I become very careful. Many have become very mean and heartless raining curses on percieved enemies whereas Jesus says that we should love our enemies and sked forgiveness for those who put him on the cross. Steven did the same and Paul insisted that we wrestle not against flesh and blood.

To love a fellow christian nko,na wa, In my new sorroundings, I attended a church and one person was telling me not to talk to this one and not to talk to that one... I beat a tactical withdrawal.

My Choirmaster was an insecure tyrant
Who reveled in talking down on other choir members as if they were his slaves. All in the name of "zeal for my Father's house has consumed me."

I have a friend who is a Pastor's son waste about 2 million naira in 3 months while we were rolling together even though he could see that I was in dire straights. They day he told me that he could not account for any tangible thing he did with it got me speechless.I've given him a wide berth ever since oo cause I can't imagine me having such large amounts to lavish and turn a blind eye to my buddy
Trying to adjust in a new environment.

I could go on and on but I understand that it is the quality of the spiritual food they receive from their many Pastors whose area of concentration is tithe, offering and coerced donations to one programme or the other forgetting that God's work is primarily taking care of the less priviledged then telling them your motivation and empowering them to do the same to others.

To many Christians, having compassion has become a foolish thing to do.the day the brother to one popular jerry curled Televangelist said that it is more rewarding to donate money to " God's work in the church" than giving money to someone in need of it. And the congregation shouted " Ride on Pastor" was the day I lost hope. According to him some grounds were more fertile than the other, so instead of helping to pay for a cousin's school fees, it is better to contribuite in church for upgrading the choir's musical instruments to the latest version so that the glory of the lord can be revealed. No wonder christ told them on judgement day" depart from me you sinners for I knew you not- while I was hungry, you did not feed me...etc

So don't blame me please if you tell repeatedly tell me you are a Christian and I distance myself from you. If you are a true follow of Christ, it will show in your kindness to those who you have nothing to gain from.." By these all men shall know that you are my followers, if you love yourselves"

Shalom
Re: Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour by Tallesty1(m): 8:29am On Aug 17, 2014
kgbd: I'm saying there are times you need not display foolishness, silence on matters not clear to you will make you a little more wiser.
oh I see.

Is that why you sound so harsh? Srcipture says we should teach/correct in a humble maner.

I stand corrected then, tell me what you think is the right thing to say.
Re: Christianity - Love Of God Now Separate From Love Of Neighbour by Debonair01: 8:53am On Aug 17, 2014
In all honesty, as much as i would want to lay all the blame on the feet of the pastors, i can not sincerely do so. I think the pastors just evolved into telling and giving pple what they want. Take your boss in the office for example, try telling him the truth and watch how he begins to treat you.

In church, watch when the prayer point is for forgiveness and help to do what is right, to when the prayer point is "breakthrough this week" or "protection against spiritual forces hindering ur destiny". Even talking of tithes and offerings, 90percent of christians do not pay because of need to help the church or less privileged grow (actually, most christians do not care what its used for) so long as their return on investment is "pressed down, shaken together and running over"

It is akin to blaming our leaders only for the woos we suffer as a nation, when its the followers that condone and encourage the ill treatment.

I believe the Nigerian version of christianity is just an evolution frm our traditional religion. What is in it for me... how do i distroy my imaginary enemies and spiritual forces hindering me, how can i better my lot, all at the same time continuing what i do in my daily life. No sacrifices, no genuine craving to help the less privileged.

Its a very sad development, and it is my opinion that unless we lay less emphasis on the church, and on the "body of christ" which if correctly viewed is not in the church building or ur pastor, but in ur neighbour, our lives would always be worst for it.

(1) (Reply)

Are The"holier Than Pope" In Your Office Or Street Living Up To Expectations? / What Did You Learn From Church Today? / Signs And Symbols

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.