Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,472 members, 7,881,640 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 05:27 AM

The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! (3356 Views)

Over 500 APC Members Defect To PDP In Lagos / The True Size Of Africa!!! / The True Size Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by AkoEja: 10:43am On Aug 19, 2014
Its important for us to know this. The way AFRICA shows on the world map is part of the conspiracy to make Africa look inferior
[img]http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/Olasupo_Orimogunje/media/true-size-africa_zps688c7754.gif.html[/img]

Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by grandx88: 10:54am On Aug 19, 2014
I don't understand...are you saying that the countries are wrongly placed or that the map representation of the land mass of various African countries is wrong?

1 Like

Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by Tolexander: 11:05am On Aug 19, 2014
grandx88: I don't understand...are you saying that the countries are wrongly placed or that the map representation of the land mass of various African countries is wrong?
exactly my question to the guy.

1 Like

Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by AkoEja: 12:36pm On Aug 19, 2014
This map was not drawn by me (I'm not a cartographer!), It was done by people who know how to draw maps.You can find details here: – http://www.buzzfeed.com/mariasherm/every-world-map-youve-ever-looked-at-is-wrong

What I'm saying is that Africa has been presented to look small in terms of landmass, which at the time satisfied the wish of the colonialists when information was not widely available as it is now.The map was part of the design to allow the domination of Africa without question. If at the time of colonisation and slavery, people knew that Britain was so tiny, compared to other parts of the world, there would have been greater assistance to what they were doing at the time.

The bigger you are, the more people pay attention to you, amongst other things

Read more here http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/02/google-maps-gets-africa-wrong

4 Likes

Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by 1shortblackboy: 1:18pm On Aug 19, 2014
^^^^^ rubbish. Greatness comes from political, organisational and technological advancement not from d size of landmass. Can u compare Africa's advancement and European advancement at the time of colonialism ? Afrcans like decieving themsalves sha

5 Likes

Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by nyt3237(m): 3:06pm On Aug 19, 2014
Obviously, what the OP is trying to say is that Africa is bigger than all those countries combined. But then I don't see how that makes the Map of Africa misleading

1 Like

Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 19, 2014
op there was a time something like this made front page. Try n find that thread and read
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 19, 2014
Well Op if you are in doubt, Google imageries is there to help you out.

How are the maps misleading?

And also the statements ' Africa is about ***** large' and 'Africa is ***** large' are different. Maps uses the word 'about'.
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by Horus(m): 6:52pm On Aug 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zBC2dvERM

[size=17pt]We Have Been Misled By An Erroneous Map Of The World For 500 Years[/size]

It was featured in "The West Wing," Check out this clip to get an accurate look at the size of Africa.
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 19, 2014
So what then, is the true size of Africa? according to you.
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by TOYNEX(f): 8:59pm On Aug 19, 2014
AkoEja: Its important for us to know this. The way AFRICA shows on the world map is part of the conspiracy to make Africa look inferior
[img]http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/Olasupo_Orimogunje/media/true-size-africa_zps688c7754.gif.html[/img]
so what would we have done better, if we d known d true size?

1 Like

Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 19, 2014
Black people always crying fowl.

Set up your own cartographers and geographers and all what-nots. No one is stopping us from developing except ourselves.
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by tijjanioyan: 10:01pm On Aug 19, 2014
My advice be say make we write petition carry waka go Hague,but if ebola don finish because if we go now d fear of ebola no go let dem answer us
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by phillippiano(m): 10:08pm On Aug 19, 2014
Is the op Musiwa??
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by 1Dray(m): 10:40pm On Aug 19, 2014
Op, did you take permission from Musiwa before uploading that map here?
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by Brimmie(m): 11:16pm On Aug 19, 2014
Y'all are getting the OP wrong.
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by gatiano(m): 11:27pm On Aug 19, 2014
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
undecided
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:14am On Aug 20, 2014
So what's if its bigger than half the planet?
How does that amounts to commonsense for we Africans?

1 Like

Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by Sheriffc(m): 2:13am On Aug 20, 2014
I think the OP got everything wrong; the map he uploaded was used to show the location of the influence of the big nations of the world on Africa. If you look at the map, the US has much influence on western and sahara Africa, while China's influence is located at the Central, Eastern and Southern Africa. Either the OP used a wrong map or he didn't actually understand the map.
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by tevinsolt: 4:49am On Aug 20, 2014
umm i think everyone knows that Africa is second to only Asia size-wise. it is no news.
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by impromptu: 4:56am On Aug 20, 2014
Don't understand whatz gwan here.

Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by dadaibrahim(m): 7:36am On Aug 20, 2014
I suscribed to wat the op had said tat Africa map has a big role in Africa problem. My reason is nt far fetch let's take a cursory look at Africa map we would find a big question mark( ? ) Which nobody nor cotinent has offered answer to. In this respect I belief until the question has been aanswer or the shape is moderated I thk Africa and Affrican sha have a rest
Re: The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! by AkoEja: 6:41pm On Feb 09, 2015
Thanks for the above post. Africans are too sleepy. Its amazing that some of the comments here don't seem to understand why representing Africa the right way is important. There is a reason why the cartographers did it this way. Nobody is saying this is the reason for all the problems Africa has!

(1) (Reply)

The Real Jagaban - Pics / Mass Defection! 6000 PDP Members Defect To APC In Edo State! / Throw Back Picture Of Diepreye Alamieyeseigha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.