Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,290 members, 7,887,855 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:15 PM

He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account (1807 Views)

Ladies If You Are Asked To Pick Just One Of These. / Should A Woman Help Her Fiancé To Pay Her Bride Price? / His Ex Tricked Him To Pay Her Bride-Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by 2gbasky22(m): 2:22pm On Aug 19, 2014
Please fellow Nairalanders, especially our brothers and sisters from the eastern part of Nigeria.

My older brother is about to get married to an igbo girl ( reason best known to him, but still unknown to we his family members. WHETHER IM DON GO ROBB CBN WE NOR KNOW) and he went to enugu last weekend for the second time because his inlaw to be sent for him.
After some deliberation between them, he said the man told him since edo state where we reside is quit far from enugu that he should convert everything on the list they gave him into RAW CASH and pay it into his account. That he shouldn't bother himself conveying his family members to the east,

HIS REASONS ARE
1. So that the expenses will not be too much for him ( my brother).
2. To also have enough money to take of his daughter after the marriage.
3. That was how he married his own wife.

The idea still sound strange to our hear cos we've never heard of something like that before.

Pls o NL is this how it is done by the igbo??
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Bunchersstab(m): 2:32pm On Aug 19, 2014
Igbo Kwenu!!!
Op It is called e-marriage.
Let dey doury be paid online since the man is selling his dota...

As far as am concern dat man is on his own, i av neva seen or heard dis kind of thing b4.

3 Likes

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by 2cato: 2:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
Why do this people love money like this
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by drestoneokuta(m): 2:57pm On Aug 19, 2014
Tell am say make he make sure say e convert the teller to reciept grin

2 Likes

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by victor08(m): 2:59pm On Aug 19, 2014
That is scam! That is not how igbo tradition is done.

2 Likes

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Affable0709(m): 3:03pm On Aug 19, 2014
booked
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Saraha1(f): 3:05pm On Aug 19, 2014
Scam. How will your brother be able to boost that he paid his wife bride price when there is no body from your brother family to witness it ?
Beside I do not think they are ready to give out their daughter to your brother. you better tell your brother to go in person with atleast two person from his family to pay the bride price.

1 Like

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by 2gbasky22(m): 3:29pm On Aug 19, 2014
The question we are asking my bro now are

1. Bros u mean say we nor go do party??
2. Abi you want make all of us wear native attire go bank?
do d gbedu 4 inside UBA??
3. what if the man say im nor receive alert??
If the girl blip d hell up, hw we go take return am??

7 Likes

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2014
Tell him you want to bring your people in person to do the traditional rites.

That he should not bother about the extra expenses..

1 Like

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by ednut1(m): 4:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
extortion and scam
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Justeenaleo(f): 4:57pm On Aug 19, 2014
That's a dumb story.
Don't go about ruining people's tribe all in the name of what?? Hate?? Or you just want to tell story??
Smh
If its true,there has to be more to the story,not just this messss you have up there.

3 Likes

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Waspy(m): 5:04pm On Aug 19, 2014
Scam alert bro sad
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by 2gbasky22(m): 5:13pm On Aug 19, 2014
Justeenaleo: That's a dumb story.
Don't go about ruining people's tribe all in the name of what?? Hate?? Or you just want to tell story??
Smh
If its true,there has to be more to the story,not just this messss you have up there.

hey gurl!
I ain't no hater of no tribe or Wale adunuga's super story,
I'm a full blooded nigerian and don't give a fu*k where he(my bro) is taking his wife from afterall its is life. And i think he knows what he is getting himself into.
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Sparrow13: 5:54pm On Aug 19, 2014
2gbasky22: The question we are asking my bro now are

1000 likes for this guy
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Farouksenior: 6:34pm On Aug 19, 2014
2gbasky22: The question we are asking my bro now are

...can't stop laffin. Mean u made ma day.
Just:
...1. Na wa oo. Party go dey nah.
...2. Hahah. Una go enter Uba hqrts for edo nah. Gbedu all nite.
...3. Una go carry teller nd photocopies like 2-3 go enugu. Hahahah
grin grin cheesy

4 Likes

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Kirinwa: 6:35pm On Aug 19, 2014
okparaugo: Tell him you want to bring your people in person to do the traditional rites.

That he should not bother about the extra expenses..

Case solved.

1 Like

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
Why them no tell am say make him do bank transfer?
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Bunchersstab(m): 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
Even as dis story is a fabricated lies i still av fews questions for ya inlaw
1, Is she going to give birth to another Jesus?

2, How does d so-called wife look?

3, Is she coming to ur house wit wat she will eat dis d end of time?
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by tonididdy(m): 6:48pm On Aug 19, 2014
Igbo kwenu !!!!

cashless policy cheesy

1 Like

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by 2gbasky22(m): 7:20pm On Aug 19, 2014
[quote author=Bunchersstab]Even as dis story is a fabricated[/quot
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by 2gbasky22(m): 7:20pm On Aug 19, 2014
Bunchersstab: Even as dis story is a fabricated

bro you think I'm that jobless?
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by flyca: 7:34pm On Aug 19, 2014
I don't even know what to say but..... menh this thread is very funny. I "liked" almost every post!
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by cococandy(f): 8:56am On Aug 20, 2014
Paying the bride price is not all that's required for marriage.

There's the unification drink part of the ceremony where the bride takes drink from her father and presents it to the man she has chosen to marry her IN PUBLIC,he accepts as sign of agreement,drinks the wine and follows her back to her father where they then kneel for unification and blessing by the father of the bride. It is vital and is synonymous with ring sharing or the I DO moment in white weddings.

So what's his prospective father in law saying about that particular part of the ceremony?
It can't be waved away.

You brother should be careful. If your story is true.

1 Like

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by cutiemoi: 9:08am On Aug 20, 2014
What if he is trying to save your bro the stress of having to drive down to Enugu for the whole process(

Igbo process demands coming like 2-3times b4 the main ceremony) rather you guys only come once for the trad ceremony?

If he is not comfortable with it, he can still follow the due process

1 Like

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by lovinhubby2wife(m): 9:17am On Aug 20, 2014
2gbasky22: Please fellow Nairalanders, especially our brothers and sisters from the eastern part of Nigeria.

My older brother is about to get married to an igbo girl ( reason best known to him, but still unknown to we his family members. WHETHER IM DON GO ROBB CBN WE NOR KNOW) and he went to enugu last weekend for the second time because his inlaw to be sent for him.
After some deliberation between them, he said the man told him since edo state where we reside is quit far from enugu that he should convert everything on the list they gave him into RAW CASH and pay it into his account. That he shouldn't bother himself conveying his family members to the east,

HIS REASONS ARE
1. So that the expenses will not be too much for him ( my brother).
2. To also have enough money to take of his daughter after the marriage.
3. That was how he married his own wife.

The idea still sound strange to our hear cos we've never heard of something like that before.

Pls o NL is this how it is done by the igbo??
It does seem strange to me. well, anyway whatever rocks his boat .
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by mployer(m): 9:31am On Aug 20, 2014
Maybe that is just for the traditional rites. But there will be wedding and traditional marriage ceremony.
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 20, 2014
cutiemoi: What if he is trying to save your bro the stress of having to drive down to Enugu for the whole process(

Igbo process demands coming like 2-3times b4 the main ceremony) rather you guys only come once for the trad ceremony?
Exactly!!!

Also, maybe the man is even trying to save them some stress, cos in the case of my sister, the husband gave us some money which we used to buy stuffs like palm wine, cola nuts, drinks etc and kept in our house for them instead of them carrying those stuffs all the way from their town... The man demanding some money may not mean no ceremony. ..

Again, if he isn't comfortable with it, he can always decline. .no biggie

3 Likes

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by Akeem79(m): 11:46am On Aug 20, 2014
Justeenaleo: That's a dumb story.
Smh
my thought exactly , you head is there , well don !

1 Like

Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by natasha: 2:45pm On Aug 20, 2014
This isnt all that strange. Whilst i am not igbo by tribe, i am from the middle belt area. My husband is from the South south. We both didnt want a large crowd/party (despite resistance from both sides of the family). We had always planned for a small wedding cos i dont understand how people can justify spending ridiculous amounts of money on a few hour events (money that can buy a land/uncompleted building/cab to put on road to generate more income to the family etc)

Anyhoo, after going to the village and discussing with my uncles and elders etc, it was agreed that whatever was on the list should be converted to cash, this amounted to about 150k, and brought back to the family on a said day.
The choosen day came, my inlaws, and relatives from my mother's side also returned to my village to see my uncles, shared 8 cartoons of drinks and killed goat (paid for by my inlaws), presented the check to my uncles. Its upto them how the money was shared but that was how my trad held.

NB- They did ask that because i choose not to have a "ceremony", we would have to provide money to kill a cow so that they could share to the different households in the village around christmas time which we did.
Re: He Was Asked To Pay Her (his Wife To Be) "BRIDE PRICE" Into A Bank Account by candidbabe(f): 3:51pm On Aug 20, 2014
Abeg mods move this thread to the jokes section that is where it belongs.
I have been laughing all day.

(1) (Reply)

Lipstick Stain / . / Women: God's Greatest Mistake To Mankind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.