Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,836 members, 7,976,142 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 08:12 PM

Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin - Nairaland / General (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin (46733 Views)

10 Funny Answers To Common Nigerian silly Questions / Some Common Abbreviation / Nigerian Dogs(origin Of The Word Nkita?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:20pm On Aug 20, 2014
baby124:
Lai lai is Yoruba short for Laiye Laiye. Meaning not in two life times. Meaning never.

Same as Moyin Moyin is short for moi moi. Just easier to pronounce when shortened and making a statement

Oh ok thanx for the clarification.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 20, 2014
Of all the people in the universe, you ve proven to be the daftest. You were biased, antagonistic, judgemental, irrational and rude. You even lied and claimed I altered my posts when the time of its initial posting is still in tact. I am not like you and can never be! You re a child and a foolish one. Go back and collect your school fees from your teachers, they did an appalling job in the bid to educate you.
Kaysalas:

my little girl. I have only told you the bitter truth.LOL
and remember what d Bible says: children, obey your elders, for this is d 1st commandment with promise.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by rocgirl: 5:02pm On Aug 20, 2014
penzino:
What of kalanbolo : skin cut

Lmao...
Penzino no go kill me oo! gringrin
Though i'm not too sure of the origination of that word, it sure does sounds alot 'waffish' shaa..(Warri).
gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 20, 2014
I will be back

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by rocgirl: 6:11pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kaysalas:
while I also dispute amebo & mumu being a Yoruba word, I must say u r in a delusional grandeur for basing or egusi origin on 'writings' b4 d civil war when you know fully well that there had been inter-tribe migration since God knws when and a silly joke you heard from ...wherever. Doubt it and fabricate more tales but the fact remains that garri, eba,egusi e.t.c are youruba words.
at least, we are making progress educating you. you have dropped 'fufu' being IBO now abi? you guys are not so much of a bad student after all

Lol..
Casillas abi na Asala be that your name. Firstly; murder, you wrote! gringringrin

Next; you made a really poor attempt at hiding the fact that you're one confused, attention-seeking, ethnic bigot (your posts reeks of it and showed you just 'started' towing that line today). I'm sure your 'colleagues' (with zetrabytes of rabidness dwarfing yours) have marked you and would stop at nothing to ensure just two things--see to it that you're adequately cut to size, and make this 'testing-the-waters' attempt, one mistake you'll ever regret making on Nairaland. gringringrin
On parting notes; the next time you try attempting to pick on your supposed 'preys', could you atleast read through their posts thoroughly before commenting? You'd pick the most minute details of where they're drifting to, while making your arguments..logically sound and structured even while at it! gringringrin

Regards. gringringrin

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by itsIYKE(m): 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
baby124:
Mad man. Have you finished, retard. It's still a native Yoruba soup. And Egusi is the Yoruba name.
its a full igbo soup,and egwusi is an igbo word,so go fvck urself for all I care

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Ruuchiinaa: 7:45pm On Aug 20, 2014
boombay MAMA SEUN... ABEG PUT RICE N120 BEANS N20 SPAG N20 DODO N20... ABEG HELP THROW FISH 2 AND ONE POMO WEY RAPE STEW WELLA... AND ONE PURE WATER WEY DEM IMPRISON FOR FRIDGE SINCE LAST WEEK!!.
My Guy, na U sabi It pass......twash 4 u.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by macof(m): 9:23pm On Aug 20, 2014
oboy3: chai-(an exclamation)- igbo

owu-broke,thread - igbo

egwusi -pumpkin seed - igbo

okra-from the igbo word okwuru

obodo oyibo-overseas - igbo

iba-fever- igbo

grin grin Iba is not pidgin. I never heard anyone use that as pidgin

And btw it is a Yoruba word
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by macof(m): 9:53pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

No one tribe can lay claim to Lagos

Yes that's because there are 3 tribes in Lagos
1. Ijebu
2. Awori
3. Egun

Any other are just bits of individual migrants seeking the cool ocean breeze and hustle of Lagos grin grin
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by macof(m): 9:55pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kaysalas: A beg, what is d origin of:
Chai! Chai!Chai!

Igbo
And I love the word grin
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by macof(m): 10:07pm On Aug 20, 2014
shizzle11:
i enjoyed your expository comment above, many yorubas keep claiming many Bini pidgin as theirs, forgetting that even the Eko they always shout is a bini slang after the Bini kingdom conquered parts of lagos particularly the island, funny lots cheesycheesy

Bini NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER conquered an inch of Lagos Island

The awori people only allowed Prince Ashipa settle with his son Ado.

Oba of Lagos owns NO LAND IN LAGOS except the small pepper farm the Island Awori gave him to build his.house( or palace)

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by macof(m): 10:08pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

Akara is a bini word, fro 'Eka' pronounced A-ka where the word akara came from. And 80percent of yoruba came fron Benin, please get your facts. And please use the word origin rightly next time or check your dictionary/google.

And who are these 80% Yoruba?
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by macof(m): 10:13pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan: We are talking about pigin and the three major Nigerian tribes are laying claim to it advent , but the last time I checked Huasas, Yorubas and the Ibos don't actually speaking pigin in their towns, what you do is just to add some part of your language to English. The real people that speak pigin are those from the south-south especially the former bendel. So we all need to be clear of this

The south-south can boast of 4-generations of pigin speaking people if not even more.

Una doo'

You speak truth bro.

Most typical Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo cities aren't used to pidgin like Edo, Delta and Ijaw areas
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by macof(m): 10:19pm On Aug 20, 2014
proevan:

So I have to be a gradute to know history ; errmmm don't want to be that kind of graduate. How come other superior yoruba Obas are not addresses as such.
Why call them Oni of Ife, Alafin of Oyo etc You still fail to understand that Oba is a bini word

how does this make oba a Bini word?
Omonoba is the correct title of Oba Erediuwa

And wat does omonoba mean?
Child of the Oba, who is Oba? = Oranmiyan of Ife

You should know that Oba is a title in Yorubaland that is over 3000yrs, there were about 13 obas under oduduwa
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Dibiachukwu: 1:33am On Aug 21, 2014
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Dibiachukwu: 1:36am On Aug 21, 2014
proevan: I will be back
I guess you are proud of those boi boi in that pic. Typical Nigerian slave
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by dellaziz(m): 7:59am On Aug 21, 2014
Tonylyte:
O boy nothing mega, na here me just dey do my thing soffery soffery, hw mata, your wife?

wife dey inside in malae belle o....so how nassarawa parole ...or na taraba u go
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by dellaziz(m): 9:07am On Aug 21, 2014
in case yall don't know fufu or foofoo is a congolese word ...cassava morsel....

2CENT MIA
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 21, 2014
Dibiachukwu:
I guess you are proud of those boi boi in that pic. Typical Nigerian slave

For your information, that is Oba Ovoramwen nor gbai se'
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by BUTICANT: 2:58pm On Aug 21, 2014
English

Leaf am - 'let alone'
Yarn me - 'tell me the the whole story'

Greek

Beta - 'good'
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 21, 2014
Dibiachukwu:
My friend Igbo is not your motherland. Igboland only recognizes patrileneal relationship. Mother land is for Igbo's in different communities. Stop claiming to be one of us.
Did I ever mention your name on here? Nwokem, je nodu ana!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by keypad1: 7:17pm On Aug 21, 2014
IrishKez: Nice one op

Am bad at language though embarassed
hi dear. Good evening
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Holyrule(m): 7:26pm On Aug 21, 2014
for the igbo....

Ogbanje iss not a water spirit... Ogbanje is changelin....
mmuo mmiri means water spirit.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Holyrule(m): 7:29pm On Aug 21, 2014
palaver... not kpalava..... for the portugese
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by maxit2(m): 8:53pm On Aug 21, 2014
kekakuz: [size=16pt]
origin of pidgin in Nigeria can be traced to when the Igbos migrated from their land due to erosion dirt and poverty to lagos
they needed to communicate and do business but they lacked education so they just mumble the little English they can hear e.g
give me food make I chop
a beg make una give me house because poverty dey for our place
your money or your life.
I go shoot you if you no give me your car key
tuface don release new album make we pirate am
etc
that is the origin of pidgin in Nigeria
[/size]

Yourself alongside the 38 miserable people that gave you a like are BASTARDS..
Why turn a fun thread to tribal insinuations? Irrelevant foools.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by maxit2(m): 8:56pm On Aug 21, 2014
macof:

how does this make oba a Bini word?
Omonoba is the correct title of Oba Erediuwa

And wat does omonoba mean?
Child of the Oba, who is Oba? = Oranmiyan of Ife

You should know that Oba is a title in Yorubaland that is over 3000yrs, there were about 13 obas under oduduwa

Yes Smart and Educated man.
You are always quick to know what happened in the last 3000 years. Your people dont even have any documentations of the last 50 years. Nigga stop assuming dust.
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by kekakuz(m): 8:57pm On Aug 21, 2014
maxit2:

Yourself alongside the 38 miserable people that gave you a like are BASTARDS..
Why turn a fun thread to tribal insinuations? Irrelevant foools.

See you
Serial idioot
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by maxit2(m): 9:04pm On Aug 21, 2014
kekakuz:

See you
Serial idioot
I keep saying it that people of your kind(Tribalist) have not been to places. Just try and leave your village and see that outside the shores of this sh!thole we call country. Nobody even knows where NIGERIA as a country is. Who da heck cares about a tiny black african tribe like Yoruba or Igbo ?
Dude who do you think carez?
FYI i am not IGBO, i am not Yoruba, But seeing how you two ABSOLUTELY irrelevant people fight yourselves like monkeys just makes me wanna let ya'all know how insignificant and irrelant your ENTIRE country is. Talkless your stupid village.

May thunder fire your family HEAD!

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by kekakuz(m): 10:25pm On Aug 21, 2014
maxit2:
I keep saying it that people of your kind(Tribalist) have not been to places. Just try and leave your village and see that outside the shores of this sh!thole we call country. Nobody even knows where NIGERIA as a country is. Who da heck cares about a tiny black african tribe like Yoruba or Igbo ?
Dude who do you think carez?
FYI i am not IGBO, i am not Yoruba, But seeing how you two ABSOLUTELY irrelevant people fight yourselves like monkeys just makes me wanna let ya'all know how insignificant and irrelant your ENTIRE country is. Talkless your stupid village.

May thunder fire your family HEAD!
hmm
If yoruba and Igbo is so puny and you don't belong to any.then your tribe must be on the brink of extinction.
Am proud of who I am and where am from. And I may insult Igbo online but in reality they are my friends so stop talking like a retard and shut that assholee you call mouth
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by Orokita(m): 6:33am On Aug 22, 2014
Sabi is coined from the "english" word SAAVY. So take note!
Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by maxit2(m): 9:02am On Aug 22, 2014
kekakuz: hmm
If yoruba and Igbo is so puny and you don't belong to any.then your tribe must be on the brink of extinction.
Am proud of who I am and where am from. And I may insult Igbo online but in reality they are my friends so stop talking like a retard and shut that assholee you call mouth

See this Buffalo.
What you fail to understand is the kinda igbo/yoruba hatred you IRRELEVANT people display online can be carried to the real world. Before i became a Nairaland user, i had NOT the slightiest idea that Igbos and Yorubas hated each other this much. You claim to just hate for "fun" but others who reads your instigating comments don't know that. Some may actually start applying this hatred and start seeing each other as enemies.
Like i said before. Phuck where you came from. Phuck your Oba! and also Phuck your village head!
Oh, let's not leave your family head out of the Phucking equation. So phuck him too!

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Some Common Nigerian Pigin by kekakuz(m): 9:33am On Aug 22, 2014
maxit2:

See this Buffalo.
What you fail to understand is the kinda igbo/yoruba hatred you IRRELEVANT people display online can be carried to the real world. Before i became a Nairaland user, i had NOT the slightiest idea that Igbos and Yorubas hated each other this much. You claim to just hate for "fun" but others who reads your instigating comments don't know that. Some may actually start applying this hatred and start seeing each other as enemies.
Like i said before. Phuck where you came from. Phuck your Oba! and also Phuck your village head!
Oh, let's not leave your family head out of the Phucking equation. So phuck him too!

am not gonna get on your level
you are not going pull me off my cool
am such a grown asss man
I don't have the time to play yab me I yab you.
for people people believing things well you can believe what you want and I wount be shocked if you are among those that recently bath with salt

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

See The Big Python Found At The Back Of Our House. / My Grisly Experience In My Room Yesterday / Huge Python Caught In Owerri, Butchered In Front Of Children (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.