Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,121 members, 7,880,485 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 07:16 PM

Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML (2210 Views)

Basic Knowledge Of Html You Should Know As A Blogger / Php Developer With Knowledge Of Html, Css And Javascript Is Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Sibrah: 8:27pm On Aug 19, 2014
For those of us in house who have tried both approach please could u help in giving tips regarding the strength and weaknesses of both.

I have been trying to jump into the middle of html with the drag n' drop approach lately and i must confess i wasn't as easy it sounded.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 19, 2014
I dont understand what you are saying. I can use both, but I have mastered html and co, so whatever code the drag and drop stops generate, I can add final touches to the correction manually, I only use drag and drop to save time - not because I dont know the right codes.
In real-life situation, you master your tools, then combine them together to get the job done.

1 Like

Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by egift(m): 9:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
What you are asking is like - using an electric blender and a mortar to grind a basket of tomatoes - which is better.

If you understand both at the same dept and efficiency, you will completed web project with Drag-n-Drop at 5% the total time you spent on Notepad and HTML codes. (BTW, without adding php and other codes, with HTML only - you are just designing a "Sign Board").

Try "Virtual Composer + WP + a Premium Theme" VS "Notepad + HTML" VS "Dreamweaver or Expression"

Still anytime you still need to get under the hood and tweak things, you will still have to Code at some point, like the rest of us.

1 Like

Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by adenijiayo(m): 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2014
Drag and drop saves time but you being able to write your codes is far better. Picture a world without editors like Dreamweaver and you will blame unasef for not learning to write codes.
I usually introduce writing codes with notepad to people (about 3) i have taught HTML and after two weeks, i introduce dreamweaver.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by egift(m): 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2014
I love this tool, comes handy.

Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Sibrah: 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2014
eGift, I quite agree with you on the Signboard of a thing as regards static web pages with no code to adapt many contents to one page at different times. I was looking at aspect like look and feel of final pages, neatness, and ability to tie pages to databases. Also i was eyeing things like different IDEs and the strength n' flexibility of what they offer.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 19, 2014
In fact, if you have to chose one of the two - chose writing codes - that will get you anywhere.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by egift(m): 10:26pm On Aug 19, 2014
Sibrah: eGift, I quite agree with you on the Signboard of a thing as regards static web pages with no code to adapt many contents to one page at different times. I was looking at aspect like look and feel of final pages, neatness, and ability to tie pages to databases. Also i was eyeing things like different IDEs and the strength n' flexibility of what they offer.

Without going into other options, I will advise that once you have Domain + Hosting in place, Install Wordpress, a good premium theme, Visual composer, plugins and get your site up and running.

- You can always overhaul your site later by just changing the theme.
- It will be dynamic, etc.

And whenever you finish crafting your hand-codes, you can can upload it. All the best.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 10:36pm On Aug 19, 2014
^^^By being what is best known as "A CMS INSTALLER", that is very cool - just install a wordpress theme and you are good to go, you sef don become web developer be that nau.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Sibrah: 11:10pm On Aug 19, 2014
egift:

Without going into other options, I will advise that once you have Domain + Hosting in place, Install Wordpress, a good premium theme, Visual composer, plugins and get your site up and running.

- You can always overhaul your site later by just changing the theme.
- It will be dynamic, etc.

And whenever you finish crafting your hand-codes, you can can upload it. All the best.
Do you have sites u have done with these combinations of tools? If yes, please sample few of them.

1 Like

Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Sibrah: 6:46am On Aug 20, 2014
dhtml18: ^^^By being what is best known as "A CMS INSTALLER", that is very cool - just install a wordpress theme and you are good to go, you sef don become web developer be that nau.
I used to think CMS is for sites that will be updated by Admin people. Sites that will have to replicate same page format many times or extend pages based on a predefined pattern of its block.

1 Like

Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 20, 2014
Sibrah: I used to think CMS is for sites that will be updated by Admin people. Sites that will have to replicate same page format many times or extend pages based on a predefined pattern of its block.
As a developer, you have go to combine all the skills together. It depends on what you are trying to achieve, and the fastest way to get there.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by egift(m): 7:58am On Aug 20, 2014
Sibrah: Do you have sites u have done with these combinations of tools? If yes, please sample few of them.

Yes, many. My site is done that way www.websubsidy.net - it used to have a more "Corporate" layout, but now I prefer it is a little ecommerce (choice of theme).

So, in conclusion - both hand-coding and drag-n-drop are good and can be combined - depending on how skilled you are and what you aim to accomplish. Learn both - you will need it.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by egift(m): 8:14am On Aug 20, 2014
dhtml18: ^^^By being what is best known as "A CMS INSTALLER", that is very cool - just install a wordpress theme and you are good to go, you sef don become web developer be that nau.

Oga D, with due respect, I am not going to start a chest-beating contest with you (one reason I usually stay away from this part of the forum).

This thread is about advising a beginner on the most effective way to get started (that is what I presume - if he had all the answers, why ask).

While I regard your skill-set and work, I just want to remind you I too have been a web developer since 2001. And have my fair share of scripting and do not shy away from the tools and resources I need to deliver my work.

I will stay away and allow self certified "gurus" comment. Cheers!
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 20, 2014
I am sorry about that, I was just being cheeky, really I mean no harm, and your contributions have been superb. Please dont go away nau. cry cry cry
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by egift(m): 8:16am On Aug 20, 2014
dhtml18: I am sorry about that, I was just being cheeky, really I mean no harm, and your contributions have been superb. cry cry cry

We are good. Keep it up guys.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 20, 2014
egift:
We are good. Keep it up guys.
Your site is very nice and professional, I love that.

1 Like

Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Sibrah: 9:38pm On Aug 22, 2014
egift:
Yes, many. My site is done that way www.websubsidy.net - it used to have a more "Corporate" layout, but now I prefer it is a little ecommerce (choice of theme).
So, in conclusion - both hand-coding and drag-n-drop are good and can be combined - depending on how skilled you are and what you aim to accomplish. Learn both - you will need it.
I am a Java person to some extent i have been thinking about java web technologies for building static or dynamic sites but after viewing this site of yours i am already having a rethink. I only used WordPress briefly when i decided to sample it some years back. Where can i get the premium themes you mentioned and how much do they normally cost? Thanks.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by egift(m): 8:10am On Aug 23, 2014
Sibrah: I am a Java person to some extent i have been thinking about java web technologies for building static or dynamic sites but after viewing this site of yours i am already having a rethink. I only used WordPress briefly when i decided to sample it some years back. Where can i get the premium themes you mentioned and how much do they normally cost? Thanks.

1. On your Java and WP issues, what I will only say is "Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might and try the best you can to perfect it". People and circumstances will try to discourage you, but if you can get pass that and learn (in fact practice) what you need, it will put food on your table.

=> Don't wait for clients to give you job, start today and get one website you can call your very own. Redo and redesign it so many time till you can be satisfy with it. (Please forget . Register a Domain and get cPanel account).

2. For the premium theme, go to http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress (go through as many as you can, see their demos).
a. Select one and provide me the link, I will get it for you.
b. Register any domain of your choice, I will give you Web Hosting.
Note: No strings attached on both gift and not a kobo. If I do, please come here and expose me.

I wish you the very best.

1 Like

Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 23, 2014
Even my website sef is a CMS - www.dhtmlhub.com - but i needed to apply my programming skills to do some advanced tweaking. So I am not discouraging CMSes really, they are a fast way to get your job started really - saves you a lot of time.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by maekhel(m): 9:30pm On Aug 23, 2014
CMS can be great and saves time and stress but I will always advice beginners to @least learn how to code.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 23, 2014
^^^Yes o, otherwise you will just get stranded and come back to cry for help again.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Sibrah: 10:04pm On Aug 24, 2014
Which CMS did u use up there.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Sibrah: 10:29pm On Aug 24, 2014
dhtml18: Even my website sef is a CMS - www.dhtmlhub.com - but i needed to apply my programming skills to do some advanced tweaking. So I am not discouraging CMSes really, they are a fast way to get your job started really - saves you a lot of time.
Which of the CMS?
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by fleps(m): 11:07pm On Aug 24, 2014
Yes! Wordpress is quite good and easy to use especially the premium themes. On www.acegoals.com I eplained how to get a premium Wordpress theme for free. Follow this link http://www.acegoals.com/get-wordpress-premium-themes-free/
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 3:10am On Aug 25, 2014
Sibrah: Which of the CMS?
It is called oxwall from www.oxwall.org - if you require any assistance on it just let me know.
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by etcme(m): 3:42pm On Aug 26, 2014
I like this thread......just exactly what I have been thinking on. Thanks to the gurus
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 26, 2014
etcme: I like this thread......just exactly what I have been thinking on. Thanks to the gurus
You are welcome
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 26, 2014
I just Googled the meaning of drag and drop, I guess Dreamweaver helps you do that.

I have never done any coding with Dreamweaver ever, I work with Notepad++ or Sublime Text
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Nmeri17: 3:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
egift:

oga yo web subsidy web site is not subsidized at all angry took 15years to load on my phone and another 15mb in data cry It's not compatible on mobile chaa cha!!! I thought you're a graphic artist. wtf are u doing here
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by dazekid(m): 7:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
egift:

1. On your Java and WP issues, what I will only say is "Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might and try the best you can to perfect it". People and circumstances will try to discourage you, but if you can get pass that and learn (in fact practice) what you need, it will put food on your table.

=> Don't wait for clients to give you job, start today and get one website you can call your very own. Redo and redesign it so many time till you can be satisfy with it. (Please forget . Register a Domain and get cPanel account).

2. For the premium theme, go to http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress (go through as many as you can, see their demos).
a. Select one and provide me the link, I will get it for you.
b. Register any domain of your choice, I will give you Web Hosting.
Note: No strings attached on both gift and not a kobo. If I do, please come here and expose me.

I wish you the very best.
hey bro,do the services on your site get any buyers coz I would like to put up some of mine there
Re: Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML by Sibrah: 10:56am On Aug 30, 2014
Nmeri17:

oga yo web subsidy web site is not subsidized at all angry took 15years to load on my phone and another 15mb in data cry It's not compatible on mobile chaa cha!!! I thought you're a graphic artist. wtf are u doing here

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Upload Files For Download In Blogger Blog / Five Tips For Improving Your Website Content / Limit Download Per Ip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.