Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,364 members, 7,950,758 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 09:21 PM

Mass Failure In Recently Released Waec Result - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mass Failure In Recently Released Waec Result (672 Views)

Waec 2014 May/june Results Out. Mass Failure Recorded / Released WAEC Result .'cancelled' Why? / Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mass Failure In Recently Released Waec Result by Olola15(m): 12:10pm On Aug 20, 2014
Though, this issue had been extensively addressed by several contributors’ on this forum but I still wish to lend my voice on this topic, as it concerns the students’ and Teachers’/lecturers’ on one hand and the role played by parents on the other hand.

In our dear country, Nigeria, we have all chewed and swallowed, it is now time for cogitation. The fraud going on in our education sector is beyond the secondary schools, it is so encompassing that it requires a holistic diagnosis in order to ascertain the required dosage of “Zymapp” or “Nano Silva” to apply, because it has almost become an incurable virus that necessitates urgent attention.
Most of us are aware or had in one way or the other participated in raping our educational system. It is obvious that our education is based on fraud and pervasive corruption that has enveloped the entire system and had since thrown the entire country into turmoil. It is common knowledge that so many people that have no business with Tertiary institutions’ are admitted and graduated on a daily basis. The factors that have led to this, includes but not limited to the following:

Compromise of integrity by Teachers/lecturers: Most teachers/ lecturers’ in our tertiary institutions had thrown the ethics of integrity to the wind. Most of them collect money, award fictitious marks and some others, award marks out of mere kindness or “Paddy-Paddy” and in their opinion; it does not matter. The danger this portends at the long run, is that, these graduate impersonators’ will definitely take up different career paths on graduation, which will include mentorship, teaching, policing etc. Surest jobs amongst all, being teaching and policing (Policing here, includes both military and paramilitary), you want to imagine what this impostors’ will impact on their students’ (who could equally be children of their former Lecturers’ – “Vicious Circle”) or the type of “law-less” enforcement officers they become. In all spheres of our national life, we should make sure that mediocrity does not have a place.

Again, our value system is an issue that should urgently be addressed. A situation where most employers of labour prefer certificate to knowledge becomes an issue of concern. Though certificate is one of the major yardsticks to measure competence, it should not be exclusively relied upon. We have seen circumstances where Headmasters and Headmistress could not read and write in English Language and yet, there are carrying certificate(s) signed, sealed and stamped by NUC or NBTE accredited tertiary institution(s); what a shame! What measures has these institutions’ taken to redeem their battered image? Award more certificates; I guess. My candid opinion is that, certificates should be recalled as soon it becomes worthless or tainted, instead of continuing to embarrass the institution that issued it.

In addition, the influence of parents and guidance cannot be over emphasized; there are instances where parents and guidance aid their child or children with petite issue as common entrance examination in primary schools. In some circumstances, they write the examination for their children, supply extraneous materials or even influence their teachers and/or invigilators to assist their wards with answers. In some other clime, parents will never allow a child that failed to repeat the same class (especially in private schools). In tertiary institutions also, we have seen situations where parents include money for “sorting” as part of allowances for their children up-keep in school, this problem becomes complicated where the parents are illiterates’ (“Sorting” becomes a course, the name of a text book or compulsory practical).

Finally, one wonders the relationship that exist between most Postgraduate students’ and their lecturers’/supervisors, is it that of family ties? Or being your brother’s keeper? Sometime ago, I visited a friend who resides in housing quarters of a Federal University (name withheld) and I saw some matured men and women turning “amala”, they were so many that I was constrained to inquire what the issue was and I was told that one of their lecturer/supervisor’s wife just turned Fifty (50)-----EHEE! In as much as there is nothing wrong with assisting your lecturer/supervisor, one will be forced to ask, if this is how it is done in western world or are we saying objectivity will not be compromised by this? I was further told that, this is just one of the chores for postgraduate students that want to succeed. They also carry out other assignments such as “school run”, shopping, washing/cleaning of cars, staying with mechanics during car
repairs, pruning flowers, serving as ushers during ceremony etc. You will be very sure that at the end of the programme, a CERTIFICATE will be awarded (may be, Ph.D. in “AMALA”).
I have to submit here, that we all owe our dear country a duty of honesty, integrity, probity, loyalty, diligence and above all the ability to speak out when things are going wrong. We can’t afford to keep standing aloof when things a going wrong. Thank God we have something to cheer about, lately, (The Ebola trial drug) Nano Silva, claimed to have been produced by Nigerians. It is hard truth, that whatever goes around, also comes around and whatever we sow, we shall surely reap.

source:
Ndili Stephen Ebialim
Re: Mass Failure In Recently Released Waec Result by ajahexcel(m): 1:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
PERMIT ME TO POST THIS ON NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP WEBSITE
http://www..com
Re: Mass Failure In Recently Released Waec Result by Olola15(m): 1:43pm On Aug 20, 2014
ajahexcel: PERMIT ME TO POST THIS ON NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP WEBSITE
http://www..com
GRANTED
Re: Mass Failure In Recently Released Waec Result by whitewezzy(m): 5:42am On Sep 03, 2014
Am mary by name I worte my waec exam three times it was this year when a friend of my gave me the contact of mr
johnson he was the one that help me upgrade my result to
upgrade or you have a missing result contact him on

(1) (Reply)

55 Illegal Universities Operating In Nigeria, 8 Under Investigation -NUC / UNICAL - The Quiet Citadel With A Mission To Impact / Nairaland Entrepreneurship Development Centre.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.