Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,040 members, 7,909,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 01:26 PM

Personalised User Section (php Mysql) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Personalised User Section (php Mysql) (1346 Views)

former Lagos Gov. Fashola Spent $400,000 To Build A Personalised Website – SR / Gov. Fashola Spent N78.3million To Build A Personalised Website (see The Site) / Get A Personalised Website + Webhosting For Just N9,999 Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by pholusho(m): 2:45am On Oct 23, 2008
Hi every one, am currently working on php and mysql and i was wondering if i could use the tech to create a Personalised user section where each user can login to views is own section (messages etc) on the site and if not what should i use please?
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by quadrillio(m): 10:28am On Oct 23, 2008
it's possible using PHP but a bit advanced,I have done something similar,

You need to read more on your CSS and AJAX.

but if you need my hand call me on 08077796668. Olawale Quadri is the name
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by pholusho(m): 3:47pm On Oct 23, 2008
hello,
thanks for the reply, i did like to know if you ve designed a website of that nature b4 and the address pls. thanks once again.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by webguru(m): 6:28pm On Oct 23, 2008
Yes Pholusho,
php is a beautiful thing and can do almost anything smiley

So, what you need to do is this(nt keeping it secret just like it was in d good ol' days of nland wink:

Have d user login to a central page eg home.php and store all user info in a database

On d central page, display info based on the username of the user eg $userinfo = "select userinfo from users where user=webguru";

of course, diff variables for diff infos

That's it!

If u need support smiley
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by kehers(m): 6:59pm On Oct 23, 2008
Hope you are not thinking that u have to create a different page for every user? (ofcourse 've seen people wondering how Yahoo manages to create different web pages for all its email users). The simple trick here as explianed by webguru is storing all info as regards a user in a db and retrieve them toa dynaically customize the successive repective pages after logon.
Nah! wat u need is a server side language and database - of which I recommend PHP and mySQL repectively.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by pholusho(m): 9:14pm On Oct 23, 2008
hello, once again thanks for the reply, you know what i already created a database with mysql which stores user names and password also i created a sign in page but now when authentication is complete and the user gets on the restricted page i want the page to have a link to the users personal messages also allowing the user to compose and send mails to other users within the site. My problem is now how to set up the email paparazi lol grin. please help me ooo. More over please donot use complicated terms thank you.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by quadrillio(m): 10:01am On Oct 24, 2008
All I can tell you is that you need to know your XML, Array and Session very well.

Am talking form experience.

If only my client has paid I will have showed u the link but if you doubt it. kip ur fingers cross and wait soon I will give you the link

Yahoo is not using database for personalization, they used SESSIONS

I don't need any argument.

we are here to give out info, but if you feel am talking jagons then

post the url of the one you have done, how will you change the look and fill of a site without CSS, think TWICE

www.bbc.co.uk. do they need database to personalize.

GURUS, I HAIL oooo
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by pholusho(m): 9:49pm On Oct 24, 2008
Thanks every one for your support, most especially seun for setting up this system. I'l get to me books and see if i can find me way, if not i will have to bother you all again lol grin. Please any other suggestions you have is welcomed.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by Nobody: 12:02am On Oct 25, 2008
@quadrillo,

quadrillio:

it's possible using PHP  but a bit advanced,I have done something similar,

but if you need my hand call me on 08077796668. Olawale Quadri is the name

You can not build a website of that spec with css, CSS only controls browser display

and talking of ajax, OMG, you still need a server side language, that is if you want to have a site that retrieves content from the server without reloading the entire page

@poster, if you follow anyone's idea here (i mean posters so far, ofcourse, minus kehers), you are going to fall into a pit. Just google for "intro to " any of these, PHP ASP JSP CFM. I will recommend PHP. why
You will get help in no time cause it has the largest user group

You can conclude that 70% of web programmers use it.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by pholusho(m): 3:48am On Oct 25, 2008
Thanks o, i hope i won't get all muddled up, cos i ve got to so many ideas, anyway as it goes i'l give you guys feedbacks. ciao.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by kehers(m): 3:53pm On Oct 25, 2008
@quad,
grin i may b a small boy bt nt a newbie in web dev. I'd rather keep my mouth shut dan say wat i dont kwn. Bro, u r confusing sessns nd db together. Db is for persistent storage - storing info as long as, while sessns is for storing info for a set time/till d browser session(runtime) is valid.
D flow here is ds
- user registr nd his username, passwrd nd other necesary info is stored in a db
- on login, validate his login info (username nd password) against wat is in d db
- if a result is not found - invalid login info
- else create a session nd store any necessary info - his userid for example
- Across succesv pgs, check if d needed sessn variable(s) exist.
- Doesnt? He shouldnt b there, throw hm out or restrict wat he can do.
- Does? Retrieve any needed info for d page nd customize.

<?php
//Authenticate
if(!$_SESSION['user.id']){
header('location:getout.php');
exit;
}
//Customìze
echo 'Welcome, '.$_SESSION['user.name'].'
';
//Retrieve oda tns u need here
//e.g select frm, subject, date from mails where toid=$_SESSION['user.id']
?>
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 25, 2008
@poster

now, that a simple and easy to understand logic of what u need.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by pholusho(m): 11:42am On Oct 26, 2008
Thank you Kehers, if i get you correctly the codes you pasted are for the user verification, on the sign in or login in page, but what i need is, after the user as been verified and gains access into the site(probably home page), on that home page i want any user who gains access, to be able to send and receive emails within the site and outside, just similar to Hi5. Do you have any clue ? Thanks.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 26, 2008
About sending and recieving emails, you may be able to send emails from your script directly by calling php's mail function

mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);

but recieving emails, requires some experience with the language, path usage etc. because you will be fetching emails from your server's inbox, although you may find scripts online to help sha.

Try downloading the php manual and read the IMAP, POP3 and NNTP functions.
there is really no magic about all these as long as you can understand the manual

if the email is internal to internal, then just use your database for storing the emails.

create a table that will store the message, sender, reciever, time etc.
so for the reciever, you will have something like

select * from database.table where receiver="current user's email" order by id desc

so for sent messages, that will be

select * from database.table where sender="current user's email" order by id desc

sending action will be

insert into database.table(sender, reciever, message, sent_time, status,read_status) values("current user's email", "person to receive it", "bla bla bla", date(format it), "not viewed yet", "read" )

It is good to put the "not viewed yet" so that you can alert on new mails, so once users open the message list page, it changes to something like "viewed" so when next they login, they dont get that new message alert even though they are yet to read it (hope u get the picture)

let me know if you have problems with any of these
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by pholusho(m): 8:13pm On Oct 26, 2008
Thanks webdezi you made my day. I'l go ahead and try it and i give you a feedback. Thanks again. grin grin
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by yawatide(f): 5:22am On Oct 27, 2008
geez! Simple question has turned into some's quest for notoriety thus confusing the poster even more cool
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by OmniPotens(m): 8:44am On Oct 27, 2008
@pholusho

If my view of your concept is what I will explained below, then I can give you a helping hand.

You are trying to design a messaging system. Sample navigation
::: Register
::: Login/ Log out
::: Activation
::: Inbox
::: Sent
::: Compose
::: Delete, etc

I think for these above, I can give a helping hand if they are correct according to your need.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by pholusho(m): 9:52am On Oct 27, 2008
Thanks omnipotens i'll be glad if you can help. How do i contact you? My number is 08039154364, urs? My email showdey2007@gmail.com, urs? I stay in Ibadan, i hope to hear from you soon.
Re: Personalised User Section (php Mysql) by OmniPotens(m): 12:25pm On Oct 27, 2008
You can always check to see when I'm online @ Y! in case you want to IM me. Moreso, my email address is private so you can see it on my profile.

(1) (Reply)

Seun: Why Nigerian Newspapers Fail / How Apple And Amazon Security Flaws Led To My Epic Hacking: MUST READ / Have You Tried This???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.