Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,972 members, 7,880,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:23 AM

What Car Should A Young Man Get? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Car Should A Young Man Get? (9041 Views)

I Have 1 Million Naira ,pls Advise Me On What Car To Buy / What Car Should I Get? (1.5M, 23 Year Old) / What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 21, 2014
the only reason car Gurus like Siena, Fulaman, and co are commenting on this thread is because there was a mentioned 3.5mil, otherwise the Op is obviously 'just another vernal fellow having fun on nairaland forum'

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Fulaman198(m): 8:13pm On Sep 21, 2014
Eyop:

It's also my desire to drive a brand new(2014/2015) C class but it's very pricey but though buying either in Germany or USA will be ok but Clearing here in Nigeria isn't gonna be child's play. Even a certified(mileage less than 15,000) 2012 Mercedes C class should land here for about 7.5million not to talk of a brand new one.

Very true lollll
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 21, 2014
Eyop:

It's also my desire to drive a brand new(2014/2015) C class but it's very pricey but though buying either in Germany or USA will be ok but Clearing here in Nigeria isn't gonna be child's play. Even a certified(mileage less than 15,000) 2012 Mercedes C class should land here for about 7.5million not to talk of a brand new one.

the brandnew is about 10m for the 2014 C class thanks to the expensive clearing.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 8:22pm On Sep 21, 2014
cne010:

the brandnew is about 10m for the 2014 C class thanks to the expensive clearing.
Really? The #10million i guess is just for now and from next year after the addition of levy will be a disaster
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 21, 2014
Eyop:
Really? The #10million i guess is just for now and from next year after the addition of levy will be a disaster

https://www.nairaland.com/1906537/brand-new-2015-c-200-new

I feel GEJ would suspend it till after the elections.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 8:36pm On Sep 21, 2014
cne010:

https://www.nairaland.com/1906537/brand-new-2015-c-200-new

I feel GEJ would suspend it till after the elections.
I hope so but this 2015 C200 class doesn't look rugged to me and i guess this is a 4 cylinder engine. The 2012/2013 is da bomb cheesy
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by bravolad(m): 9:20am On Sep 22, 2014
In this part of the world, some people erroneously believe that a car is an asset. Some also associate car ownership with wealth and there's this weird thinking "I have arrived". It may look as though there is nothing wrong for a 24 year old man to buy a car of N3.5, but in reality, there's more to it. That automatically puts you in a class, with more people prying into your personal life. This venture also has the potential to derail his/her focus. Depending on resources, in the nearest future, it makes it difficult to use a car in a lower category. Ironically, this guy still lives with his/her parents. Eventually, when looking for a house, your brand of car would also influence your choice of apartment. And from the OP 's tone, the guy wants to acquire the ride just to show off, intimidate/oppress and impress his/her cronies.

Most parents would not allow their children to engage in an ostentatious lifestyle even when they seemingly have the money to. But would rather encourage them to invest for the future. After all, the words of the elders are the words of WISDOM.

Peer pressure only often influences peers who yield in. I believe with the right upbringing albeit the right choice, a substantial part of peer pressure could be subdued. I for one, in my early years, fifteen or thereabouts; while in secondary school, almost all my friends smoked but I never did. Till today. Some guys also say their kind of business requires them to own luxury cars in order to attract more businesses but we all know it's a hype. In Abuja for instance, a lot of these "never-do-well contractors" buy these cars with this unfounded belief but after a few years or even months of ownership, they begin to struggle with them. Your car never wins you a contract, but trust and honesty do.

A 2009 Toyota Highlander may not necessarily be a papa's ride but will project the image of the owner (early 20s) and that of his/her parents within their neighborhood. I also want to believe that "his parents are not living in a rented apartment". The vehicle at N3.5 would depreciate as soon as it leaves the dealership. But again, depending on the regularity of his/her income and his willingness to accept challenges thereof, this decision may affect other aspect of his lifestyle.

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by auhanson(m): 6:12pm On Sep 23, 2014
Kingsteve: Since he has 3.5m to burn, he should consider these rides.
Acura '09 MDX and Infiniti '08 and above M35, G35.

Highlander is for older folks, not so cool for a young guy...he should buy a car that fits his age, unless he looks older than 24.
cheers!

Surely, this is for the younger folks. they look gud on ground,,But by the way, how many young guys would throw away their fortune on such a liability? how many can actually afford it?

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 12:21am On Sep 24, 2014
bravolad: In this part of the world, some people erroneously believe that a car is an asset. Some also associate car ownership with wealth and there's this weird thinking "I have arrived". It may look as though there is nothing wrong for a 24 year old man to buy a car of N3.5, but in reality, there's more to it. That automatically puts you in a class, with more people prying into your personal life. This venture also has the potential to derail his/her focus. Depending on resources, in the nearest future, it makes it difficult to use a car in a lower category. Ironically, this guy still lives with his/her parents. Eventually, when looking for a house, your brand of car would also influence your choice of apartment. And from the OP 's tone, the guy wants to acquire the ride just to show off, intimidate/oppress and impress his/her cronies.

Most parents would not allow their children to engage in an ostentatious lifestyle even when they seemingly have the money to. But would rather encourage them to invest for the future. After all, the words of the elders are the words of WISDOM.

Peer pressure only often influences peers who yield in. I believe with the right upbringing albeit the right choice, a substantial part of peer pressure could be subdued. I for one, in my early years, fifteen or thereabouts; while in secondary school, almost all my friends smoked but I never did. Till today. Some guys also say their kind of business requires them to own luxury cars in order to attract more businesses but we all know it's a hype. In Abuja for instance, a lot of these "never-do-well contractors" buy these cars with this unfounded belief but after a few years or even months of ownership, they begin to struggle with them. Your car never wins you a contract, but trust and honesty do.

A 2009 Toyota Highlander may not necessarily be a papa's ride but will project the image of the owner (early 20s) and that of his/her parents within their neighborhood. I also want to believe that "his parents are not living in a rented apartment". The vehicle at N3.5 would depreciate as soon as it leaves the dealership. But again, depending on the regularity of his/her income and his willingness to accept challenges thereof, this decision may affect other aspect of his lifestyle.

love the way you spoke, but there are some issues i also want to address.
I strongly believe that is not really a matter of the price you bought a car.
My cousin is 25, works in a multinational oil company and rides a 2013 hyundai azera.. Bought it more than that price.
I also believe that a guy that bought a toks 08 accord for say 1.7 also gets the same admiration for a guy on a toks 08 highlander.
I myself am the least of the 20s. Am thinking of a 08 Explorer limited not that i want to show off, but that am lucky to have discovered my purpose early in life, and not following the normal route of getting a cert and looking for jobs.
So as a young entreprenuer, CEO and founder of an innovative internet startup that has attracted investors who believe that this will guarantee them a great ROI within the space of few months, getting a 3.5M car shouldn't be an issue if you know tis gonna help you in daily runs, particularly if you have an investment that guarantees you a great source of income, AGE notwithstanding.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Driver's License Breaking News For Fresh Applicants / CAR Service Manual / Please How Efficient Is Audi A4, I Want To Buy A Direct Belgium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.