Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,219 members, 7,943,351 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 12:51 PM

So The Human Heart Is Deceitful - The Difference Between The Heart And Mind. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / So The Human Heart Is Deceitful - The Difference Between The Heart And Mind. (1134 Views)

The Way Different Religions See The Human Heart / Psalms 50 - Reveals The Heart And Mind Of God On Giving/tithing / Symbolism,Satanism,Illuminati,and Mind Control in Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So The Human Heart Is Deceitful - The Difference Between The Heart And Mind. by MizMyColi(f): 12:56am On Aug 24, 2014

When the scriptures say "the heart is deceitful" it is referring to the inner process human beings have been socialized to use for knowing something.

The process begins with the mind. Did
you get that? The MIND.

The human mind has been conditioned or programmed by all sorts of cultural, worldly, and religious narratives. Think of your mind as the motherboard. How that mind - motherboard is wired up is going to be the engine driving the train.

When the Bible says "the heart is deceitful" it is basically saying "your mind - motherboard is faulty."

Our problem is that when we hear the word "heart" we think of things like the
most inner and intimate part of our interior self, our feelings or emotions, or inner stirrings, promptings and intuitions. WRONG!
This is not what these scriptures are referring to. In fact, those deep inner feelings, stirrings, promptings, and intuitions are the most reliable pathways to what is real.

In other words, it's your mind that is getting in the way, not your heart.

#ThinkOnThis

[url=https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152270615230592&id=506305591&refid=28&_ft_=qid.6050902953014215416%3Amf_story_key.4350590194284123234%3Aapp_id.25554907596&__tn__=%2As]Source[/url]

On answering the question @Topic
I feel like our mind is where we think rationalize and plan but our heart (more than being a mere organ) is where our core values and beliefs are stored up as well as our conscience and will
^^^These are not my original thoughts but they come pretty close to what I perceive as the difference between the heart and mind.

What are your thoughts on this, differing views are welcome. Let's reason.
Re: So The Human Heart Is Deceitful - The Difference Between The Heart And Mind. by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 24, 2014
Heart in the.Bible refers.to the mind. That's why the bible says "Guard.your heart with all diligence..." it means guard for Mind against evil thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: So The Human Heart Is Deceitful - The Difference Between The Heart And Mind. by ideology(m): 4:58pm On Aug 24, 2014
I feel like our mind is where we think rationalize and plan but our heart (more than being a mere organ) is where our core values and beliefs are stored up as well as our conscience and will
Sweet mz, na you open this thread grin

First of all, its important for us to understand that the bible was not written in English, the original languages are Greek and Hebrew.
So Some interpretations does not definitely express the communications of the spirit.

2 Hebrew words come to mind when the word "heart " is used in the bible.
1. Lebeab - interior organ; referring to our physical heart
2. Leb - the will, intellect, the centre of substance

From the definition above, the context can help us decipher which is the spirit communicating.
Furthermore, lets remind ourselves that the real us is a spirit not our physical body.

The mind is like a processing house, holdind our thoughts, processing info from the physical world and the spirit world(God).

The spirit (heart) is the real us, where the processed info is stored, this stored info defines us. Not the info under processing.

In other words, it's your mind that is getting in the way, not your heart

like you rightly said and the writers view, the info in our minds (which we receive daily, from various forms ) keeps interferring with the stored info in our spirit.

2 Likes

Re: So The Human Heart Is Deceitful - The Difference Between The Heart And Mind. by MizMyColi(f): 5:37pm On Aug 24, 2014
^^^ some educating exposition up there. Thank you. smiley I didn't want to quote your post.
Re: So The Human Heart Is Deceitful - The Difference Between The Heart And Mind. by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 25, 2014
smiley undecided
Re: So The Human Heart Is Deceitful - The Difference Between The Heart And Mind. by ihedinobi2: 3:46pm On Sep 07, 2014
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/7436-heart

The above is one link I found when I googled "leb" to get an idea how it is defined. The article in there is excellent and when you think about it, it does agree with the entire Scripture.

Man is a whole being described as a spirit, soul and body. The idea that one of the three is the "real" us makes us handle ourselves in somewhat injurious ways. If our spirits are the real us, why does the Bible talk about souls under the altar in heaven in the Book of Revelation? And what do we need a body for? Why does the Bible talk about a spiritual body which obviously is still physical (remember Jesus after He rose from the dead?)?

We are wholly body, soul and spirit. We are not complete without any of those. However, everything has an essence: something that is the very definition, the meaning of that thing. That essence is the heart of the thing. It is the heart that produces the expressions that can be seen and interacted with by other entities.

It is with the heart that we think, make judgments, enforce decisions, feel things (from base appetites to high spiritual emotions). In so far as the mind is our tool for thought it is a part of our heart. The heart does not thus oppose the mind. It uses it along with other faculties like conscience, intuition and everything else.

Yes, our values and beliefs are stored in the heart but each time we are faced with a situation and we call up these values and beliefs, we also process the data from the environment to decide whether to adjust our values and beliefs or enforce them. The heart is the workshop, the powerhouse of our entire being. That is what makes us us.

1 Like

Re: So The Human Heart Is Deceitful - The Difference Between The Heart And Mind. by GoldStandard: 7:45am On Sep 10, 2014
Understanding the 'body, spirit and soul' has eluded me since forever!
Following this thread.........

(1) (Reply)

Faithfulness In Your Business / The Most Found Gender In HELL FIRE / Wrongly Banned For Statement I Didn't Make

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.