Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,122 members, 7,907,082 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 11:04 PM

In Memory Only (Romance) - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / In Memory Only (Romance) (141304 Views)

Two Realms... {Romance-thriller} / Letters Fall Apart-in Memory Of Chinua Achebe / Shape Of Our Friendship By Vic Toria A. I wrote this in memory of my dog. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by safarigirl(f): 3:27am On Apr 12, 2015

"Your brother is just....wow!"

Jaiya rolled her eyes, if another female friend of hers used that term- or gorgeous, hot, sexy, fine...or any other words relating to the above mentioned- to describe Lanre one more time, she would do something crazy. It was because of reactions like these that she preferred he didn't meet her friends- but Lanre would catch a deadly disease if he didn't 'drop by' once in a while to either take her out or just talk to her. He said he did it to help ease the stress that came with being an undergraduate, but she sometimes felt he intentionally did it to get a kick out of having her friends fawn oner him

He had dropped by today right after a very hectic class and for once she was grateful, there had been a test she could honestly say she would fail and she felt drained, so when the all too familiar number had lit up her screen, she was only too happy to say know where he was- unfortunately, she was with Uduak, and she wasn't one to leave her friend without consideration, Uduak was only too willing to tag along.

"Yeah, I know." She replied blandly- he was also an incurable flirt and a certified ladies man- it would do them all some good to know that

"How do you even live with all that sexy without being just a little flustered?"

She shook her head and lowered her gaze to hide a small smile, "We barely see at home, he's very busy"

Uduak shook her head, "shame"

Jaiya was relieved at the silence that followed that statement. Hopefully, she wouldn't have to dwell on any Lanre-themed topics today.

"Has it ever been awkward?"

The question came over 5 minutes after Jaiya had thought the conversation was over.

"What?"

"Having a brother who isn't blood related. Do you ever think maybe...do you wish you guys weren't siblings? Like, maybe he could date you?

Jaiya stared at her friend for a while and then let out a small laugh, "Me and Lanre? Never....we're much too familiar with each other to date. Besides, blood or not, he's still my nrother and dating him would be..." She paused to consider a word that would describe what such occurence would mean, "...just...impossible. It will never happen" she said with finality. She surely wasn't crazy enough to date Lanre and she doubted he was that desperate.

Lanre wined and dined with the classiest women in the city, he met beautiful ladies the likes of whom graced magazine covers everyday, in the midst of all that beauty, only a mentally unstable man would think to date plain old her. She smiled at the thought once again. Yep! Never going to happen

It didn't turn out as envisioned.

Jaiya stared at her canvass, the intense need to throw it out the window overtook her, thankfully she was no barbarian and if she did throw it out, everyone would know it was her. Then the entire complex would think she was crazy...or worse still, it could hit a passer-by, then there would be no doubts as to her mental state.

Instead, she dumped her paint brush in a nearby can and sat on her stool with a sigh. It had been over a week since her gallery was raided. She was now back in her place of peace after having more than a few intense arguments with Lanre on her decision to not leave this place. This was her first gallery, she couldn't just up and leave because a few miscreants were seeking attention. For all of his memory loss, he was much still the same controlling, overbearing hulk he had been the last 10 or so years. She would think he would understand that one didn't just leave a place where most memories had been created...that was too much to expect from him as she would later learn

Now, she was plagued with thoughts of him....of them. She couldn't even concentrate on her work anymore. She honestly was tired of sneaking around their parents with him, he had suggested they tell the entire family that they were dating, but she vehemently refused. He didn't think it was that big a deal, but it was easy for him to think it was straightforward, he was their son, but she....it didn't matter how long she was with the family or how much she had been incorporated into their family life, she remained an adopted child. She wasn't blood and she wasn't foolish enough to assume she had same privileges.

Sure, they all got the best education the family could afford, she had never lacked in the Coker family house and Laraba had been as much a mother as anyone could ever wish for, but Jaiya knew her motherly instincts soared where her son was involved and she didn't want to end their goodwill on the grounds of a relationship she was uncertain about.

This was pointless.

She stood up and started to clear up the room. She'd just go back home, have a long soothing bath. Eat something light and go to sleep. Sleep always worked wonders on her creative engine.

"Jaiya, are you in here?"

What the...? Jaiya paused and then turned toward the closed door. She went to it and flung it open and sure enough, there was Lanre looking as irresistible as always in a pair of cargo shorts and a grey tee shirt that fit a little too good.

Apparently, she hadn't made it clear enough how much she hated surprises. Now her plan to get home and relax would be pushed back.

"Hi." He began. He hadn't made any attempt to approach her and for that she was grateful. She needed to be stern with him now and she couldn't do that if he was close. She was strong, but not that strong

"I wasn't expecting you." She began, intentionally ignoring his greeting

He smiled, "I know, I just thought you'd need company." He replied.

"No thank you. I was about leaving." As she turned to finish clearing up her workroom, she noticed his confusion. A part of her protested, told her she was being unnecessarily harsh, but another, the one which was totally frustrated at the position she had unwittingly found herself in, had no qualms with her behaviour.

As she placed her palette and brush on a shelf, his voice cut through the silence of the room, "So, what have I done now?" He asked with a sigh.

A glance his way provided her the sight of his leaning frame against the door jamb. He looked more like a Supermodel having a photo shoot in that pose. The thoughts that ran through her mind at the sight made her drop her gaze. "I don't know what you mean."

He scoffed, "Indeed. Can you stop doing whatever it is you're pretending to do while I talk to you? Your movement is making me dizzy."

She dropped a cup of paint with a bang against the hard wood of a table, "What, Lanre?"

He stared at her for a while, probably trying to figure out what exactly was eating her up. It was a lot of things and she doubted he'd be able to guess them all today.

"What's with the attitude?" He shot back. Apparently, he couldn't figure it out, "Why are you being so hostile? I haven't seen you in 3 days, you haven't called, picked my calls or replied any of my messages and I come here to see if you're alright and what do I get? Attitude for all of my concern."

"What do you want?"

"I want some respect! And while we're at it, some explanations and an acknowledgment would be nice."

"Explanations for what?"

"Explanations for why you've been avoiding me. Even mum is starting to ask questions. You've been avoiding us all."

Jaiya calmed down at the mention of their mother. In her bid to stay away from Lanre, she had also distanced herself from Laraba unintentionally. The guilt ate at her everytime she was in her presence, it always felt like she was commiting some heinous crime by dating Lanre behind her back and acting like nothing of such was going on when in her presence. It killed her to have to pretend to a woman who was as good as her own mother especially when she would want nothing more than to tell her all about the man in her life. How he made her happy, how much she loved to sit and talk to him, how he sought her safety and protection like a lone ranger, the way he could be both harsh and gentle to her in one breath and how much she hated that his commanding aura sparked a fire within her.

She had always thought she could and would share those tales with her mother, but how would she do that when the man in question was none other than her brother?

She sat on a nearby stool, her eyes trained on her conjoined fingers, "Lanre...I...I can't do this anymore. We...this thing we have going...."

"Is that what this is about? Our relationship? Is that why you've been avoiding your family?"

"They're your family Lanre. My family is dead." She burst out. He seemed to go still at that. His reaction should have warned her to shut it, but she couldn't help the words that reeled off her lips, "They've been dead for over 10 years now and I don't...I don't have anyone. Your family is all I have and I'm sick of lying to them and playing these games with you..."

"Then why won't you tell them about us? Why do you insist on keeping our relationship a secret?"

She shook her head, "You don't even understand. You're their son, their brother. If we tell them about us and then something happens...if we don't work out, they'll be on your side. Then I'd lose everything. I'd lose their love, their goodwill...everything. You'll go on with your life, but I may not have anything left to go on with. Don't you see?" She tried to hold back her tears, but it wouldn't be stopped. She felt some drops roll down her cheeks, but she made no efforts to wipe them. She wasn't sure if getting her fears off her chest this way was a good thing. Maybe she should've held back a little, but what was said was said.

His long silence felt like someone was twisting a hot knife in her skin, at some point it was almost like he hadn't heard her, but the look of disbelief and shock that marred his otherwise hanndsome features told her she had been heard loud and clear.

"Is that what you think of my family Jaiya? After 12 years?"

Those words felt like two blocks of ice hitting her in the face. She opened her mouth to say something, but she seemed to have exhausted every word in her mini rant. She wanted to clarify herself, but nothing was coming.

"Do you really think them so fickle? That they'd attack you or love you less if per chance you hurt me? Is that what you think of them?"

She wanted to shout "No!" She wanted to explain that she hadn't meant it in that way and had allowed her fears and frustrations dictate her words, but once again, she found herself on 'pause' mode while she bore the scorching burn of his eyes. He looked almost devastated, his expression further worsened her regretful state.

"First off, I'm a grown man, mature enough to survive a failed relationship and move on so I won't be crying all over the place if something happened. And I can place my last kobo on the fact that if we did break up, my family would roast me alive and feed me to pigs before they'd ask questions. They would sacrifice me without batting a lid just to protect you. They fuc-king adore you! You're their little angel, the one who does no wrong, so that you would think I have some privileges simply because I'm their son shows how little you think of my family."

Whatever was left of her spirit crumbled at those words and all that was left was a stabbing pain in her chest that threatened to stop her airflow

He laughed. It wasn't a happy laugh, it wasn't filled with mirth, it sounded forced and even that sound buried her deeper in a grave she dug herself.

"And to think Mo' was all set to fight me just yesterday to protect you, and then you stand there and...." He paused, making her even more nervous. The tears were now steadily trickling down her cheeks, "...I can't do this right now" he muttered.

He turned around and was out the door in seconds. She watched his retreating back, wishing she could go back in time and correct her error, prevent that outburst that caused nothing but trouble. She wished she had tabled her concerns with more civility instead of riding on a horse of emotions, but what was said was said and as much as she wished she could take it all back, she couldn't.

Today was turning out to be the worst day of her life and she didn't even have the slightest control over it all

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by tijehi(f): 6:26am On Apr 12, 2015
My girl is back....Safarigirl biko don't let the next update take this long.
I so so love this story. You are one fantastic writer.
Jaiya sha, she just hurt Laren real bad. Anyway making up is usually very romantic. We are waiting.
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by harjibolar10(m): 6:39am On Apr 12, 2015
So touching, jaiya is a confused girl, and I think that's what killing her. ... And for lanre, he's madly in love for his once little sis(angel). ..

Keep em coming ma'am, and welcome back
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Queening(f): 7:10am On Apr 12, 2015
.haha
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 12, 2015
Awwwwwwwwww!!!!!
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by bumsiee: 11:34am On Apr 12, 2015
Tank u ma'am. Nice update
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by oghenekome51(f): 12:11pm On Apr 12, 2015
Lanre still does not understand! He needs orientation on ladies!

Safarigirl, thank u for coming back to us! Buh pls, we want more!
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by harjibolar10(m): 12:25pm On Apr 12, 2015
oghenekome51:
Lanre still does not understand! He needs orientation on ladies!

Safarigirl, thank u for coming back to us! Buh pls, we want more!
Princess Pearl, shey?
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Nobody: 1:52pm On Apr 12, 2015
welcome back safarigirl
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Mj45: 3:55pm On Apr 12, 2015
Jaiye is just been sensible which is quite understandable. It's an indication she is a wise young woman- I mean still been able to think clearly in such situation is commendable. A silly lady would have quickly devised means of manipulating Lanre to acquire every possible thing even if it leads to d break up of d family. I know she really values d family and has much regard 4 them despite what Lanre says.

Thanks, Safari babe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Mj45: 3:57pm On Apr 12, 2015
Jaiye is just been sensible which is quite understandable. It's an indication she is a wise young woman- I mean still been able to think clearly in such situation is commendable. A silly lady would have quickly devised means of manipulating Lanre to acquire every possible thing even if it leads to d break up of d family. I know she really values d family and has much regard 4 them despite what Lanre says.

Thanks Safari babe.
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by lateef4me(m): 5:28pm On Apr 13, 2015
Thanks for the update though overdue ....Pls don't let the next update tarry oh !
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by oghenekome51(f): 12:30am On Apr 14, 2015
harjibolar10:

Princess Pearl, shey?

Ure very correct!
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by harjibolar10(m): 12:12pm On Apr 14, 2015
oghenekome51:

Ure very correct!
How have you been now, longest time. .. You just leave us for group, without good bye, ehn... We miss you shaa ooo

And happy birthday in arrears, may happy returns
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by lizbethy: 1:28pm On Apr 14, 2015
tanx for d update & wating to see more of you
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by gal10(f): 9:38pm On Apr 14, 2015
Nice one safarigal!! How did ur exams go?? Hope u killed it!!! More grace dear..awww i understand Jaiya s plight....
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Faith3luv(f): 4:37pm On Apr 16, 2015
Interesting
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by oghenekome51(f): 5:30pm On Apr 18, 2015
harjibolar10:

How have you been now, longest time. .. You just leave us for group, without good bye, ehn... We miss you shaa ooo

And happy birthday in arrears, may happy returns

thanks a bunch ajibola!
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by harjibolar10(m): 6:25pm On Apr 18, 2015
oghenekome51:

thanks a bunch ajibola!
You welcome sis
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by dherbee: 8:17pm On May 02, 2015
safarigirl, m anxiously waiting 4 an update plus i wnt to remind u incase u've 4gotten (i knw u didnt) abt ur oda story 'Getting a life' m also waiting 4 an update dia! luff ya wink
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by cutediva87(f): 2:36pm On May 03, 2015
**ghostmodedeactivated** abeg update this story nao haba
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Mj45: 7:56am On May 08, 2015
I am still waiting for an update on this story dearest.
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Essyprity(f): 11:46am On May 08, 2015
Mj45:
I am still waiting for an update on this story dearest.
Too bad dear, manage what she has given now and hope she really finds time to post another. She's one with a gift.
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by harjibolar10(m): 9:59am On May 18, 2015
TODAY THE VOTING OF MISS NAIRALAND ELIMINATION ROUND 1 COMMENCES AND TWO OF OUR LITERATURE-LANDERS ARE PARTICIPATING..THEY ARE ONE OF US, LET US SHOW THEM SUPPORT BY CLICKING THIS LINK
https://www.nairaland.com/2320383/miss-nairaland-contest-2015-elimination
AND TYPE:
I VOTE ADEH39
I VOTE MARIAMFERANMI
I VOTE AIPETEE2
Cc:nljega
Tanx for your coperation
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Franchris(f): 11:20am On May 28, 2015
You're always the best Safarigirl. Thanks for the update. It's a nice story. I've appeared harsh when distracted while reading this. Lol. Not my fucking fault sha.
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Franchris(f): 11:22am On May 28, 2015
harjibolar10:
You welcome sis
Ah. You are here again!
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by harjibolar10(m): 11:26am On May 28, 2015
Franchris:
Ah. You are here again!
Christy!!! hope say no be you go lipsrsealed me now, ehn

I'm still around oooo, and welcome on board
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Franchris(f): 11:48am On May 28, 2015
harjibolar10:
Christy!!! hope say no be you go lipsrsealed me now, ehn

I'm still around oooo, and welcome on board
Tanshoe.
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Queening(f): 6:39pm On May 28, 2015
sad
Franchris:
You're always the best Safarigirl. Thanks for the update. It's a nice story. I've appeared harsh when distracted while reading this. Lol. Not my fucking fault sha.
aunty which update?
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Franchris(f): 4:23pm On May 29, 2015
Queening:
sadaunty which update?
Modom...lessay...write ups...uh? Yes! Write ups

1 Like

Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by Zeenas(f): 10:07pm On May 30, 2015
Safarigirl, u're simply d best. I have never read a better book. In fact i have never entered dis section but am so lucky i did. More mb to ur fone.
Re: In Memory Only (Romance) by misslambo(f): 5:20pm On May 31, 2015
Sagarigirl we aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣ patiently waiting fr another fantastic updates which I believe ώɨℓℓ worth waiting for. Thanks in anticipation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Sassy And Slaying: Diary Of A Single Naija Babe / Beneath My Heart / Birthmark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.