Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,366 members, 7,920,382 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 05:49 AM

Lusting After Your Partner? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lusting After Your Partner? (988 Views)

Does The Bible Justify Lusting After People's Husbands Or Wives? / Someone Said Admiring Ladies Is Lusting After Them / Spirit Of Drinking, Smoking And Lusting After Woman Vanish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lusting After Your Partner? by huxley(m): 8:50am On Oct 24, 2008
Matthew 5
27 You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery. 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart'.

In view of the above injunction from Jesus, how do Christians make their choice about their future partners if they cannot lust after their partners?

What would make you choose one person over another as your partner? Is physical attractiveness to that person one of those things that would influence your decision?
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by MrCrackles(m): 8:51am On Oct 24, 2008
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by KunleOshob(m): 9:57am On Oct 24, 2008
huxley:

Matthew 5
27 You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery. 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart'.

In view of the above injunction from Jesus, how do Christians make their choice about their future partners if they cannot lust after their partners?What would make you choose one person over another as your partner? Is physical attractiveness to that person one of those things that would influence your decision?
Pastor huxley, you mix u issues again, in the verse you referenced to the term "adultery" was used. In other wards Jesus was talking about lusting after a married woman and not a spinster. Adultery can only be commited if at least one of the people involved is married. So the issue of future partner does not arise within that context.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by huxley(m): 6:14pm On Oct 24, 2008
KunleOshob:

Pastor huxley, you mix u issues again, in the verse you referenced to the term "adultery" was used. In other wards Jesus was talking about lusting after a married woman and not a spinster. Adultery can only be commited if at least one of the people involved is married. So the issue of future partner does not arise within that context.

Interesting! How were you able to derive exactly what Jesus meant form these plain and simple words? As far as I can see, nowhere in the context does it suggest what you just said.

OK, let me humour you for a moment. Supposing your interpretation was right. Does it mean that it is not a sin for a single man to look lustfully at a single woman?
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by DavidDylan(m): 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2008
huxley:

Interesting! How were you able to derive exactly what Jesus meant form these plain and simple words? As far as I can see, nowhere in the context does it suggest what you just said.

As usual when your poor scholarship and hypocrisy is exposed you start running in circles.

KunleOshob was right, the bible does not use "fornication" and "adultery" interchangeably. They mean explicitly different things. Christ's mention of the term "adultery" in that verse means either one of the parties (the man lusting or the woman he is lusting after) is married.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 24, 2008
huxley:

Matthew 5

In view of the above injunction from Jesus, how do Christians make their choice about their future partners if they cannot lust after their partners?

What would make you choose one person over another as your partner? Is physical attractiveness to that person one of those things that would influence your decision?

This is the reason why i advice nairalanders to get a dictonary.

Relating what Jesus said about aldutery to Lusting/attraction is absurd

You need to stop criticizing.

@David

It Obvious the poster has issues with himself

Just ignore him.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by huxley(m): 9:29pm On Oct 24, 2008
DavidDylan:

As usual when your poor scholarship and hypocrisy is exposed you start running in circles.

KunleOshob was right, the bible does not use "fornication" and "adultery" interchangeably. They mean explicitly different things. Christ's mention of the term "adultery" in that verse means either one of the parties (the man lusting or the woman he is lusting after) is married.

OK, let us examine what Jesus is supposed to have said.  This is it again:

huxley:

Matthew 5

You are claiming that this only applies to a married man lusting after a single or a married woman?  Although it says nowhere that it is only for a married man, I shall take it as being implied from the use of the word "adultery".  All good and well.   But that still leaves my other question unanswered, namely;

What if a single man lusts after a single or married woman?

If he lusts after a single woman, does he commit fornication? Can fornication also be committed in the man's heart without direct sexual contact?

If he (a single man) lusts after a married woman, what has he committed -  fornication of adultery?

Further, can you turn this injunction around so that it reads:

You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery. 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a man lustfully has already committed adultery with him in her heart'
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by DavidDylan(m): 9:37pm On Oct 24, 2008
huxley:

OK, let us examine what Jesus is supposed to have said. This is it again:

Your starting premise is already flawed and is evident of a mindset that is bent on forcing his own warped opinions unto a subject that is clear even to the blind. Jesus Christ did not "supposedly" say that, it is recorded that He indeed made that statement.

huxley:

You are claiming that this only applies to a married man lusting after a single or a married woman? Although it says nowhere that it is only for a married man, I shall take it as being implied from the use of the word "adultery". All good and well. But that still leaves my other question unanswered, namely;

I'm not "claiming", i'm simply pointing out a CLEAR FACT that you fail to see or deliberately wish to sidestep. The key word in that verse you quote is "adultery" . . . indicating one or both parties is assumed to be MARRIED.

huxley:

What if a single man lusts after a single or married woman?

The verse in question has nothing to say on this issue.

huxley:

If he lusts after a single woman, does he commit fornication? Can fornication also be committed in the man's heart without direct sexual contact?

The verse that you quote again has nothing to say on this issue.

huxley:

If he (a single man) lusts after a married woman, what has he committed - fornication of adultery?

Adultery from the part of the woman.

huxley:

Further, can you turn this injunction around so that it reads:

You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery. 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a man lustfully has already committed adultery with him in her heart'

A casual read thru the bible shld tell you that it is not simply talking about men only when you seem terms such as "he", "him".

turn the verse however you pls. Your consistent dishonesty is becoming a drag.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by naomijt(f): 9:48pm On Oct 24, 2008
Stupid post . . .

Davidylan and Oshob,

in as much as u guys made valid points, u seem not to really know d poster's problem.

He is mistaken attraction for lust.

I believe Jesus statement is pretty clear there. Attraction is different from lust.

And sure, one area I can agree with the poster is dat it is a sin to lust after your partner or have sex before marriage.

P.S

Lust is not only when u lust after another man's wife. It also applies to singles.

Mat 5:28  But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by JJYOU: 9:57pm On Oct 24, 2008
KunleOshob:

a very confused rev, dr this huxler is. he claims he is not interested in God's existence yet cannot stop asking all these confused questions.
naomijt:

Stupid post . . .
And sure, one area I can agree with the poster is that it is a sin to lust after your partner or have sex before marriage.
the godly struggles with this daily. just imagine how the ungodly sorts this one out
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by huxley(m): 10:14pm On Oct 24, 2008
As much as you may try to calumnise me, I does not really bother me.  I am simply trying to get the meaning of the text and see how widely or narrowly it could be applied.

DavidDylan:

Your starting premise is already flawed and is evident of a mindset that is bent on forcing his own warped opinions unto a subject that is clear even to the blind. Jesus Christ did not "supposedly" say that, it is recorded that He indeed made that statement.

Let's take it, arguendo, that Jesus indeed say this. How wide ranging is it?  I asked if it also covers the scenarios I presented, and you said that it did not.  Fair enough.   Then I asked, if it did not cover those scenarios, then this verse, as it is presented, does not:

1)  bar a single man lusting after a single or married woman.  Is it then sinful for a single man to lust after a single or married woman.  The single man cannot have commited adultery since he is single.  Nor does the woman have committed adultery if she was unaware and uninvolved with the man's lust.

DavidDylan:

Adultery from the part of the woman.

Are you suggesting here that a married woman who is the subject of a man's lust is also guilty of committing adultery?   What if she was unaware of the man's lustful interest in her?   Is she still guilty of adultery?

DavidDylan:

A casual read through the bible shld tell you that it is not simply talking about men only when you seem terms such as "he", "him".

By your "logic",  let see if we can use him/her, she/he interchangeably in the Verse 32, presented below. Let us ignore the fact that this is a particularly cruel injunction.

32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Do you also accept that we could swap the masculine and feminine words here and still retain exactly the main thrust of the idea Jesus was trying to present?
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by DavidDylan(m): 10:19pm On Oct 24, 2008
naomijt:

in as much as u guys made valid points, u seem not to really know d poster's problem.

He is mistaken attraction for lust.

I understand his many problems. He's not mistaking attraction for lust, he is making the deliberate attempt to conflate both without which he'd have no legs to stand on.

We've seen worse.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by Danke: 10:24pm On Oct 24, 2008
Huxley likes problem,hiding under d shadows of " i wanna learn more" wen we all know dat hes mind his locked up against christianity

huxley since u dont like xtianity ,y on earth do u spend quality time reading d bible?wat is it about christianity dat draws u to the bible

we have refused to follow atheism ,so if u like hang urself,who cares undecided
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by huxley(m): 10:25pm On Oct 24, 2008
DavidDylan:

I understand his many problems. He's not mistaking attraction for lust, he is making the deliberate attempt to conflate both without which he'd have no legs to stand on.

We've seen worse.

You have not shown how I am conflating attraction and lust.  None of your answers have revealled that.  

I am simply asking -

If I am a single male Christian individual.  Is it wrong or a sin for me to lust after a single or a married woman?  If I do, what sin have I committed?

What is hard in that question to understand?
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by huxley(m): 10:30pm On Oct 24, 2008

Huxley likes problem,hiding under d shadows of " i want to learn more" when we all know that hes mind his locked up against christianity

huxley since u don't like xtianity ,y on earth do u spend quality time reading d bible?what is it about christianity that draws u to the bible

we have refused to follow atheism ,so if u like hang yourself,who cares undecided

Can you try and answer the question, or are just sheepishly following this desert barbaric dogma without engaging your thinking faculties?
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by Danke: 10:31pm On Oct 24, 2008
huxley:

Can you try and answer the question, or are just sheepishly following this desert barbaric dogma without engaging your thinking faculties?

i would have answered but knwoing dat its coming from smone wtout brains,i better save it for smthing else
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by DavidDylan(m): 10:33pm On Oct 24, 2008
huxley:

You have not shown how I am conflating attraction and lust.  None of your answers have revealled that.  

I am simply asking -

If I am a single male Christian individual.  Is it wrong or a sin for me to lust after a single or a married woman?  If I do, what sin have I committed?

What is hard in that question to understand?

Here is your answer - Single or married it is a sin to LUST after a woman in your heart (you can say vice versa for a woman too just so you dont come back howling "what about women"wink. The issue now is what do you understand by the term LUST?
Is it now wrong for a man to have genuine attraction for a woman? No. It is perfectly healthy and the bible encourages that . . . Jacob was attracted to Rachel that he worked 14 yrs to marry her . . . if it were simple lust he would have had tons of time within 14 yrs to have slept with her but he kept himself.

Lust is when you are attracted to a woman simply for the purpose of satisfying fleshly cravings or sex to put it in perspective. It is fornication or adultery in the heart depending on the status of the individual.

The bible puts LUST in a clearer perspective - 1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by Cayon(f): 10:34pm On Oct 24, 2008
the heading read "lusting after your partner"

Lust  to have an intense desire or need : crave ; specifically : to have a sexual urge

So i ask "whats wrong lusting after your partner?
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by MrCrackles(m): 10:37pm On Oct 24, 2008

i would have answered but knwoing that its coming from smone wtout brains,i better save it for smthing else

DANKE!!!!!!

U again? grin
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by DavidDylan(m): 10:37pm On Oct 24, 2008
huxley:

I find it funny that athiests always assume they are the only ones with "thinking faculties".  grin

Here is your first post on this issue - pls note my highlights

Matthew 5 27 You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.  28    But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart'.

In view of the above injunction from Jesus,  how do Christians make their choice about their future partners if they cannot lust after their partners?

What would make you choose one person over another as your partner?  Is physical attractiveness to that person one of those things that would influence your decision?

There is a world of difference between being physically attractive to your partner and lusting after her. The two are not the same. while Matthew 5:27 talks EXPLICITLY about lust (with emphasis on looking), it says nothing about genuine attraction.

There, here i was thinking you could engage your thinking faculties.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by DavidDylan(m): 10:38pm On Oct 24, 2008
Another thing that has to be quickly pointed out.

the title of this thread is one more example of the morally decaying world we live in. less than 200yrs ago there was nothing like "partner" in the sexual sense. You were either married or not.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 24, 2008
@ topic

The person lusting is not married, so technically he isn't commiting any type of adultery. Besides what responsiblity has a married wo/man got if s/he is attractive?

the thread still doesn't make sense to me!
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:55pm On Oct 24, 2008
Lets put things in perspective and stop talking blindly,
Lust
In Christianity, the word "Lust" is commonly used to translate the New Testament Greek "Epithymia". In the New Testament, it is treated as one of many sins and states of mind. However, it is always distinguished from sexual desire, which in Christianity is a God-given gift. Lust, however, is regarded as a wanton perversion of that gift, and is used to refer to unchecked desire for fornication, adultery, or any sexual intercourse outside of marriage.
Sexual Attraction
In a species that reproduces sexually, sexual attraction is an attraction, usually, to other members of the same species for sexual or erotic activity.

Physical Attraction
Physical attractiveness is the perception of the physical traits of an individual human person as pleasing or beautiful. It can include various implications, such as sexual attractiveness and physique.
Source Wikipedia

Look nobody is forced to reply to a thread here , if you feel pushed to reply at least say something that has to do with the question posedd rather than thinking it came from an atheist, are the questions Huxley asked not valid enough? I think they are, not everything is about atheism abeg!

Definitions are on the board oya everybody begin to analyse.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by DavidDylan(m): 11:01pm On Oct 24, 2008
Chris . . . lets stop deceiving ourselves here - lust and sexual attraction are one and the same thing. Trying to split them so as to force an erroneous point is like claiming six is different from half a dozen.

Chrisbenogor:

Look nobody is forced to reply to a thread here , if you feel pushed to reply at least say something that has to do with the question posedd rather than thinking it came from an atheist, are the questions Huxley asked not valid enough? I think they are, not everything is about atheism abeg!

I've just gone through Huxley's "questions" . . . they are not valid because it is based on a false premise in the first instance. Conflating genuine attraction for lust.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by huxley(m): 11:08pm On Oct 24, 2008
Where have I suggested that lust was the same as physical attractiveness towards someone?  With respect, I don't think I did.   I deliberately left it open and vague to give the question more latitude in terms of how respondent might understand it.

Look at my questions again.  I deliberately separated out the questions, so that hopefully they could not be miscontrued. But alas, some people still could not understand:

Matthew 5 27 You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.  28    But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart'.

In view of the above injunction from Jesus,  how do Christians make their choice about their future partners if they cannot lust after their partners?

Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:16pm On Oct 24, 2008
@david
Me I just gave definitions oh I just hate it when people misuse words, you guys carry on, take it easy on huxley he might already be saved too you know wink
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by DavidDylan(m): 11:25pm On Oct 24, 2008
huxley:

Where have I suggested that lust was the same as physical attractiveness towards someone?  With respect, I don't think I did.   I deliberately left it open and vague to give the question more latitude in terms of how respondent might understand it.

the problem with your "questions" is that they are perpetually "vague" so as to give YOURSELF ample room to maneuver in case you get stuck.

you read your own bogus "question" again . . . you quote a verse that expressly talks about LUST and then ask a question about physical attraction.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by huxley(m): 11:33pm On Oct 24, 2008
DavidDylan:

the problem with your "questions" is that they are perpetually "vague" so as to give YOURSELF ample room to maneuver in case you get stuck.

you read your own bogus "question" again . . . you quote a verse that expressly talks about LUST and then ask a question about physical attraction.

You talk as if these are totally unrealistic scenarios. Are these not the issues that face everyone of us? Are these not the issues that Christian agonise over?

Look, I have been a Christian, I live essentially amongst them, I listen to their conversation, I see them agonise over these issues. So what is wrong in asking them on this forum?
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by DavidDylan(m): 11:36pm On Oct 24, 2008
huxley:

You talk as if these are totally unrealistic scenarios.  Are these not the issues that face everyone of us?  Are these not the issues that Christian agonise over?

We are not talking about "scenarios", we are talking about the need to be entirely honest and to properly digest the point of each verse that you wish to mutilate for false motives.

If the topic had been about how christians overcome the issue of lust then that would been another story.

huxley:

Look, I have been a Christian, I live essentially amongst them, I listen to their conversation, I see them agonise over these issues.  So what is wrong in asking them on this forum?

No one cares what you once were or who you live amongst. Any christian who truly desires to know the mind of God concerning issues such as relationships needs only to check the pages of the bible and talk to more mature christians who can help him with whatever questions he/she has.

Christians who "agonise" over such issues are simply those who want an avenue to sin even though they know its wrong. don't worry, i've been there too so i know how it feels.
Re: Lusting After Your Partner? by Nimshi: 12:49am On Oct 25, 2008
DavidDylan:

Chris . . . lets stop deceiving ourselves here - lust and sexual attraction are one and the same thing. Trying to split them so as to force an erroneous point is like claiming six is different from half a dozen.

C'mon, Dave. c'mon!

(1) (Reply)

Why Thank God For Your Life? / Biblical Advice For The Youth / Jesus, God And The Sham Sacrifice Of His Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.