Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,356 members, 7,881,310 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:24 PM

Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine (3501 Views)

.physicians' Strike Irks Lagos State Government. / .physicians' Strike Irks Lagos State Government / Unhealthy And Self Seeking Claim By Nigeria Physicians By Obisesan, Oluwatuyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 7:19am On Aug 27, 2014
armadeo:

Honestly I really don't care who calls himself dr. If the op wants it. He can simply add it to his name.

The area of your post which interests me is quoted above.

Now the illiteracy of our people as you so rightly put it when he calls you dr who does he think he is talking to?

How many people actually correct the people who call them dr and ask for diagnostic or therapeutic help.

The op doesn't want the title for the reasons listed above by you, he wants it because it connotes respect.

Op feel free to put up an ad. Accept my congratulations
First of all what do u mean by op?
I will ask u a question. Why do u always quickly tell ppl ur r Dr medicine. Y don't u just say u r medicine?
There is nothing wrong if u want a title for reputation sake especially when u deserve it. Physicians frown when they hear a person call another health worker Dr. because they feel the health worker is impersonating a medical doctorr or infringing into a title bigger than them. This is very wrong.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 7:22am On Aug 27, 2014
armadeo:

Honestly I really don't care who calls himself dr. If the op wants it. He can simply add it to his name.

The area of your post which interests me is quoted above.

Now the illiteracy of our people as you so rightly put it when he calls you dr who does he think he is talking to?

How many people actually correct the people who call them dr and ask for diagnostic or therapeutic help.

The op doesn't want the title for the reasons listed above by you, he wants it because it connotes respect.

Op feel free to put up an ad. Accept my congratulations

Let's forget about why the OP wants the title 'doctor' and take his assertions at face value. You really can't confirm and prove it. He might even be a Physician or PhD himself, who knows.

Politics aside, the last definition implies that if i call anyone who is Skilled practitioner a 'doctor', i can't be wrong, so why i should i be corrected?. It's simple logic. He doesn't really have to add it as a prefix to his nomenclature, you can't sue him.

Let us remember that it is even borrowed by the Physicians as the latin word 'docere' means 'to teach', not 'to treat'. From your assertion, can we also imply that physicians wanted respect so they decided to use the title or allowed people to call them 'doctor'. If this is so, aren't you guilty of what you accuse him of?
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by anag0900: 7:57am On Aug 27, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Let's forget about why the OP wants the title 'doctor' and take his assertions at face value. You really can't confirm and prove it. He might even be a Physician or PhD himself, who knows.

Politics aside, the last definition implies that if i call anyone who is Skilled practitioner a 'doctor', i can't be wrong, so why i should i be corrected?. It's simple logic. He doesn't really have to add it as a prefix to his nomenclature, you can't sue him.

Let us remember that it is even borrowed by the Physicians as the latin word 'docere' means 'to teach', not 'to treat'. From your assertion, can we also imply that physicians wanted respect so they decided to use the title or allowed people to call them 'doctor'. If this is so, aren't you guilty of what you accuse him of?

dozie the scientoprenuer why you run for politics section. all your lies na him we don see. amadioha strike that your lying buccal orifice.

3 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by passion007: 8:15am On Aug 27, 2014
Conversations
(Three hours of intense arguments later)

Patient: Oh I see, you do have a certain inalienable claim to the title Dr
Pharmacist: Phew! I'm glad you now understand.
Patient: A quick question though. Did you take courses in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology?
Pharmacist: Oh yes indeed. I most certainly did.
Patient: Pharmacology and Pathology?
Pharmacist: Pharmacology, yes. Pathology ermmmm
Patient: Obstetrics? Gynecology? Pediatrics? Public Health?
Pharmacist: Ermmmmm
Patient: Medicine? Surgery?
Pharmacist (infuriated): I get your point smarty-pants.
Patient: How can you get my point when I haven't made it. In the strictest sense, the title Dr is open to any expert--even you. However, in the hospital there is already one who bears the title. So, your claim will be defined in relation to the real doctor as a benchmark. Considering you've taken 4 of 10 courses as him, I suppose we could call you two-fifth of a Dr

Pharmacist: What the hell is 2/5 of a Dr?
Patient: Exactly! What the hell is it? And who comes to the hospital requesting to see 2/5 of a Dr when he can be seen by all 5/5 of a Dr. So, sir, you see your argument has no leg to stand on.

Whether with an illiterate Nigerian patient or an educated one, those desperate for the title Dr have no argument. Except of course they agree to be addressed as 2/5Dr Abc Xyz.

3 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 9:06am On Aug 27, 2014
passion007: Conversations

Patient: A quick question though. Did you take courses in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology?
Patient: How can you get my point when I haven't made it. In the strictest sense, the title Dr is open to any expert--even you. However, in the hospital there is already one who bears the title. So, your claim will be defined in relation to the real doctor as a benchmark. Considering you've taken 4 of 10 courses as him, I suppose we could call you two-fifth of a Dr

Patient: Exactly! What the hell is it? And who comes to the hospital requesting to see 2/5 of a Dr when he can be seen by all 5/5 of a Dr. So, sir, you see your argument has no leg to stand on.

Whether with an illiterate Nigerian patient or an educated one, those desperate for the title Dr have no argument. Except of course they agree to be addressed as 2/5Dr Abc Xyz.

grin grin...........now this is the best post I've read this week on nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Morotov1(m): 9:09am On Aug 27, 2014
With my deductions from naira land , I can state that Nigerian doctors lack the intelligence to argue objectively, constructively and without sentiments.

This is not turf war or a way of attacking the Op and
anybody have similar notions with him but a debate to explore the question put forward by op.

2 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by adahib: 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
phantom: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin make we even drop this title 'doctor' abeg and take up mister. the wahala don dey too much grin

My brother the wahala too much abeg.

@OP, kindly add the title to your name if it makes you feel less inferior. Enjoy.....

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 1:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
Morotov1: With my deductions from naira land , I can state that Nigerian doctors lack the intelligence to argue objectively, constructively and without sentiments.

This is not turf war or a way of attacking the Op and
anybody have similar notions with him but a debate to explore the question put forward by op.

God bless u my dear. They cannot even come up with a reasonable argument without being biased.

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by passion007: 1:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
adahib:

My brother the wahala too much abeg.

@OP, kindly add the title to your name if it makes you feel less inferior. Enjoy.....
I don't know why you Drs are willing to give up what makes you unique.
If the OP must adopt the title, he has to specify just how much of a doctor he is, for instance: 2/5 Dr Theodarl Ebelechukwu Aderibigbe. That fraction must not be omitted!

3 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by adahib: 1:16pm On Aug 27, 2014

Epic... grin
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 1:22pm On Aug 27, 2014

This is the dumbest analysis I hv ever seen on naira land. You don't even kno the difference btw the word 'Doctor' and 'Medical Doctor'. If u did, u won't post that dumb argument.

5 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 1:28pm On Aug 27, 2014
passion007:
I don't know why you Drs are willing to give up what makes you unique.
If the OP must adopt the title, he has to specify just how much of a doctor he is, for instance: 2/5 Dr Theodarl Ebelechukwu Aderibigbe. That fraction must not be omitted!
Very dumb. It takes only a bright mind to understand d original argument.

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Vulu: 2:21pm On Aug 27, 2014
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 2:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
Theodarl:
Very dumb. It takes only a bright mind to understand d original argument.

what do you want us to debate on? grin grin
abeg nobody has that strength.
ask the mods to move it to front page if you want a good argument from intelligent people.
I and my fellow docs are too dumb to argue with you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 9:22pm On Aug 27, 2014
Theodarl:
First of all what do u mean by op?
I will ask u a question. Why do u always quickly tell ppl ur r Dr medicine. Y don't u just say u r medicine?
There is nothing wrong if u want a title for reputation sake especially when u deserve it. Physicians frown when they hear a person call another health worker Dr. because they feel the health worker is impersonating a medical doctorr or infringing into a title bigger than them. This is very wrong.

The very first line of my statement you quoted tells you my opinion on the term dr.

Secondly what do you mean wanting a title for reputation sake? Your work would speak for you not your title. Some people prefer some residents to consultants not for knowledge but attitude.

I really don't know about physicians frowning on the title dr as I have seen a lot of PhD patients who bear the title and it doesn't bother me. The title wasn't deserved by them it was earned.

So once again have u earned the title or you just want it for respect which also by the way is earned.

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 9:27pm On Aug 27, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

I can bet the op isn't a physician or PhD holder because they won't bother about the title that's already Thiers.

Secondly you actually can call anyone a dr. The guy who fixes my car has a doctorate in fixing cars he calls himself engineer but it means mechanic simple.
I won't/ can't sue him

Thirdly the assertation of the title dr for respect was made by the op not me.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 9:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
Theodarl:
This is the dumbest analysis I hv ever seen on naira land. You don't even kno the difference btw the word 'Doctor' and 'Medical Doctor'. If u did, u won't post that dumb argument.

Once you say I am dr xyz the person you are speaking with automatically assumes you are a medical dr at least in Nigeria.

Many people don't correct that notion and also dish out medical advice to the detriment of the patient. Is this right?

Let me tell you of a personal experience. A man was rushed into the hospital where I worked post nysc he came with his wife and an elderly man.

I excused the man who told me don't worry I am a dr. I automatically passed he was a medical dr and taking into consideration his age I didn't probe further as he would be my senior by far.

I even wondered at some questions he asked concerning my treatment plan which was glaring.

Anyway the consultant comes in later has a brief description with the old man and tells him to go to the waiting room. I then asked her why? And she said he has a PhD.

Now maybe this dr had started treatment and when it got over his head he rushed the patient to the hospital.

What is your take on this?
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 10:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
armadeo:

The very first line of my statement you quoted tells you my opinion on the term dr.

Secondly what do you mean wanting a title for reputation sake? Your work would speak for you not your title. Some people prefer some residents to consultants not for knowledge but attitude.

I really don't know about physicians frowning on the title dr as I have seen a lot of PhD patients who bear the title and it doesn't bother me. The title wasn't deserved by them it was earned.

So once again have u earned the title or you just want it for respect which also by the way is earned.

The title was originally for those with high level of intellect. The physicians hijacked the title because of the respect that comes with it. In time past, they were the all in all of medicine. They were the only ones who practiced all aspect of medicine as it were in those days. Now in modern medicine, it is no more so. Other health proffesionals now practice medicine in their own fields n therefore deserve to be addressed with that title just like d physicians. If a physician can b addressed with that title, other health workers with a bachelor's degree should also b addressed with that title because they all practise medicine in different fields where they r trained. Stop acting like u don't know what is attacted to that title n y d physicians cling to the title so badly they prefer it to their own names. U said phd patients with d title don't bother u. Y would it bother u? When u know u r not half as learned as he is. U think your 5 years of craming basic pathology n other medical related courses has put u on the same intellectual level as the PhD patient? My friend think again
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 11:18pm On Aug 27, 2014
armadeo:

Once you say I am dr xyz the person you are speaking with automatically assumes you are a medical dr at least in Nigeria.

Many people don't correct that notion and also dish out medical advice to the detriment of the patient. Is this right?

Let me tell you of a personal experience. A man was rushed into the hospital where I worked post nysc he came with his wife and an elderly man.

I excused the man who told me don't worry I am a dr. I automatically passed he was a medical dr and taking into consideration his age I didn't probe further as he would be my senior by far.

I even wondered at some questions he asked concerning my treatment plan which was glaring.

Anyway the consultant comes in later has a brief description with the old man and tells him to go to the waiting room. I then asked her why? And she said he has a PhD.

Now maybe this dr had started treatment and when it got over his head he rushed the patient to the hospital.

What is your take on this?

Thank you for this question. I'm very happy that at least someone now undrtstand d difference btw doctor and a medical doctor.

It would b right for everyone to always differentiate the type of doctor he or she is whenever necessary. We should take d pain to educate Nigerians who just think all doctors are medical doctors.

Thirdly, u should have asked him what kind of doctor he is before concluding he is a medical doctor. Your consultant probably asked him and he told her he was PhD. Assumptions r dangerous!
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by armadeo(m): 12:54am On Aug 28, 2014
Theodarl:

The title was originally for those with high level of intellect. The physicians hijacked the title because of the respect that comes with it. In time past, they were the all in all of medicine. They were the only ones who practiced all aspect of medicine as it were in those days. Now in modern medicine, it is no more so. Other health proffesionals now practice medicine in their own fields n therefore deserve to be addressed with that title just like d physicians. If a physician can b addressed with that title, other health workers with a bachelor's degree should also b addressed with that title because they all practise medicine in different fields where they r trained. Stop acting like u don't know what is attacted to that title n y d physicians cling to the title so badly they prefer it to their own names. U said phd patients with d title don't bother u. Y would it bother u? When u know u r not half as learned as he is. U think your 5 years of craming basic pathology n other medical related courses has put u on the same intellectual level as the PhD patient? My friend think again

Mr man I can see you love the title dr. You can have it.

Secondly what do you mean by practicing medicine in your own field. A medical dr practices medicine, a nurse nursing a physiotherapist physiotherapy etc. Hope you get that drift.

Nobody hijacked any title I have explained that before.

The PhD holder is nor an intellectual level with me in any aspect of medicine. A professor in another field of medicine isn't on a level playing field if he meets me on my turf.
Your final statement explains your desire to be called dr. The PhD guy misrepresented himself and he knew it. In his field I may actually have no idea what is goinf on that doesn't make me intellectually deficient. Hope you getting it.

3 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 3:04am On Aug 28, 2014
The title doctor should not be exclusive for physicians. However in the hospital setting, doctor should be left to the physicians. It is unhealthy for every cadre of staff to want to be called doctor. In advanced countries there are already legislation in this regard. Outside the hospital you can flaunt your doctorate, but in the hospital leave it for the physicians. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 6:22am On Aug 28, 2014
desperation
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by drcakes: 6:56am On Aug 28, 2014
Theodarl:

Thank you for this question. I'm very happy that at least someone now undrtstand d difference btw doctor and a medical doctor.

It would b right for everyone to always differentiate the type of doctor he or she is whenever necessary. We should take d pain to educate Nigerians who just think all doctors are medical doctors.

Thirdly, u should have asked him what kind of doctor he is before concluding he is a medical doctor. Your consultant probably asked him and he told her he was PhD. Assumptions r dangerous!

Seven states (Georgia, Illinois, Maine,
Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Oregon) have
statutes or regulations prohibiting a nurse
practitioner or other doctorally prepared
health professional from using the title
"doctor" in the clinical setting.
Several other states allow a healthcare
professional to use the title "doctor" as long
as he or she also
includes title of licensure or specialty (NP,
physical therapist, etc) in their communication.

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Doctorate-of-Nursing-Practice-Center/DNP-Articles/Should-Patients-Call-You-Doctor.aspx
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by drcakes: 6:59am On Aug 28, 2014
Theodarl:

[quote author=Theodarl]

Seven states (Georgia, Illinois, Maine,
Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Oregon) have
statutes or regulations prohibiting a nurse
practitioner or other doctorally prepared
health professional from using the title
"doctor" in the clinical setting.
Several other states allow a healthcare
professional to use the title "doctor" as long
as he or she also
includes title of licensure or specialty (NP,
physical therapist, etc) in their communication.

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Doctorate-of-Nursing-Practice-Center/DNP-Articles/Should-Patients-Call-You-Doctor.aspx
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Oduduwaboy(m): 7:20am On Aug 28, 2014
@OP!, why do you seek the back door to becoming a 'doctor'? To what level of absurdity will you sink to in order be called a doctor? I actually pity you! You need psychiayric evaluation.

5 Likes

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 9:24am On Aug 28, 2014
Oduduwaboy: @OP!, why do you seek the back door to becoming a 'doctor'? To what level of absurdity will you sink to in order be called a doctor? I actually pity you! You need psychiayric evaluation.
Your premature conclusion that I am not a 'doctor' already, that I seek to b called a doctor shows u r not different from a typical Nigerian physician who begins to treat a patient without inquiring for proper laboratory investigations because he has concluded in his small mind that he already knows what is wrong with the patient. I'm sorry u r the one who needs psychiatric evacuation.

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 9:43am On Aug 28, 2014
Theodarl:
Your premature conclusion that I am not a 'doctor' already, that I seek to b called a doctor shows u r not different from a typical Nigerian physician who begins to treat a patient without inquiring for proper laboratory investigations because he has concluded in his small mind that he already knows what is wrong with the patient. I'm sorry u r the one who needs psychiatric evacuation.

what lab test does one do for acute appendicitis?
what lab test does one do for glaucoma?
what lab test differentiates tesicular torsion from acute epidydimorchitis?
what lab test does one do to make a diagnosis of peptic ulcer disease?
what lab test does one do to make a diagnosis of ventricular septal defect?
what lab test does one do to make a diagnosis of coarctation of the aorta?
what lab test differentiates ischaemic from hemorrhagic stroke.
what lab test does one do to confirm congestive cardiac failure?

ask Google! your time starts now!

1 Like

Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 11:22am On Aug 28, 2014
phantom:

what lab test does one do for acute appendicitis?
what lab test does one do for glaucoma?
what lab test differentiates tesicular torsion from acute epidydimorchitis?
what lab test does one do to make a diagnosis of peptic ulcer disease?
what lab test does one do to make a diagnosis of ventricular septal defect?
what lab test does one do to make a diagnosis of coarctation of the aorta?
what lab test differentiates ischaemic from hemorrhagic stroke.
what lab test does one do to confirm congestive cardiac failure?

ask Google! your time starts now!

Phantom I tbink u r still a student. If so, my advise for u will be 'study hard' . If u r practising already, I am sorry for you n d patients u treat.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by phantom(m): 12:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
Theodarl:

Phantom I tbink u r still a student. If so, my advise for u will be 'study hard' . If u r practising already, I am sorry for you n d patients u treat.

interesting! no answer and you resort to insults.
lab work is listed as an ancillary investigation.

what does ancillary mean?
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Theodarl: 1:47pm On Aug 28, 2014
drjoshua2000: The title doctor should not be exclusive for physicians. However in the hospital setting, doctor should be left to the physicians. It is unhealthy for every cadre of staff to want to be called doctor. In advanced countries there are already legislation in this regard. Outside the hospital you can flaunt your doctorate, but in the hospital leave it for the physicians. Thank you.
This is the best logical reasoning coming from a physician in Nairaland. But, drjoshua don't u think if everone knows his jurisdiction in d hospital the patients would not be misguided? I think If the doctor of physiotherapy does not encroach into the job of a doctor of medicine (physician) nor the doctor of biomedicine trying to do d job of a physician, then d patients would not b misguided in d health care system.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 28, 2014
As long as nobody encroaches on any other professional's duties, i don't see any reason for the endless bickerings for the title. Since we all know the etymology has nothing with treatment.
Another issue is the use of stethoscopes. Our physicians always decry the hanging of stethoscopes by non-physicians, but very few of them are aware that even a mechanic uses a stethoscope as one of his tools.
Re: Should The Title Dr. Remain Exclusive 4 Physicians In Dis Era Of Modern Medicine by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
Theodarl:

He is a respected physician on this forum but in his euphoria at reeling out medical terminologies, he has probably forgotten that Radiographers/Imaging Scientists detect anomalies like Appendicitis while there are specific/non-specific laboratory tests to detect, confirm and/or understand the severity of several of his listed medical conditions.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Importance|Benenefits of Weed To The Health / How Obasanjo And The Striking Doctors Killed My Friend! / A Little Here And There About Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.