Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,910 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:14 AM

Court Stops FG From Sacking Resident Doctors - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Court Stops FG From Sacking Resident Doctors (794 Views)

NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters / Breaking:- FG Sacks All Resident Doctors / Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Stops FG From Sacking Resident Doctors by Kcinho(m): 9:32am On Aug 26, 2014
National Industrial Court, NIC, yesterday in
Lagos, restrained the Federal Government
through the Chief Medical Directors of 37
medical institutions across the country from
terminating the appointment of the resident
doctors.

President of the court, Justice Babatunde
Adejumon, gave the order, while ruling on a
Motion on Notice filed by the Registered
Trustee of the Nigeria Medical Association,
NMA, against the Attorney General of the
Federation, the Minister of Health and 37
Chief Medical Directors of University
Teaching Hospitals and Federal Medical
Centres across the country.
Joined as respondents in the suit, are the
Chief Medical Directors of Aminu Kanu
Teaching Hospital, Jos University Teaching
Hospital, Lagos State Teaching Hospital,
Nnamdi Azikiwe Teaching Hospital, Obafemi
Awolowo Teaching Hospital, University
College Hospital, Ibadan, University of Benin
Teaching Hospital, Calabar Teaching
Hospital, University of Ilorin Teaching
Hospital, University of Maiduguri Teaching
Hospital, University of Portharcourt Teaching
Hospital, University of Uyo Teaching
Hospital, Usman Danfodio Teaching
Hospital, University of Abuja Teaching
Hospital and the University of Nigeria
Teaching Hospital.
Others respondents, are the medical
Directors of Federal Medical Centres in
Asaba, Azare, Bida, Birnin-Kebbi, Birnin
Kudu, Gombe, Keffi, Gusau, Ido-Ekiti,
Katsina, Lokoja, Makurdi, Owerri, Owo,
Umuahia, Yenegoa, Yola, Ebute Metta, Lagos
and Yobe state respectively.
In his ruling, Adejumon, further ordered that
status quo ante be maintained pending the
hearing and determination of the suit filed
by the resident doctors.
On the issue of suspension training
programmes for doctors, the court, also
directed that the claimant (NMA) to put all
the respondents on notice, saying the issue
would be better addressed when parties
joined issues before the court.
www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/court-stops-fg-sacking-resident-doctors/
Re: Court Stops FG From Sacking Resident Doctors by phantom(m): 10:00am On Aug 26, 2014
our government does not respect court injunctions.
tell me why this would be an exception..
Re: Court Stops FG From Sacking Resident Doctors by toysleek(f): 11:19am On Aug 26, 2014
phantom: our government does not respect court injunctions.
tell me why this would be an exception..
The same way NMA did not respect the NIC injuction that said AMLSCN should oversee the importation of invitro diagnostic equipment..
Re: Court Stops FG From Sacking Resident Doctors by phantom(m): 11:51am On Aug 26, 2014
toysleek:
The same way NMA did not respect the NIC injuction that said AMLSCN should oversee the importation of invitro diagnostic equipment..

haba....but on that issue,NMA appealed it in court.NMA has not disobeyed anything
Re: Court Stops FG From Sacking Resident Doctors by Amaizu(m): 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
Like i have asked in some other forums,how does this solve the problem?.In Labour agitations,constructive engagements are usually more fruitful than litigations.The health minister has always insisted that no doctor was sacked but that the residency programme was temporarily suspended pending a review.Once you suspend the Residency programme,the issue of employment for the residents is blown to high heaven.Pls see Sanusi vs FGN (2014) where the technicality of "suspension pending investigation" was used to sack Sanusi from the CBN.
While i have great sympathy for the ARD cause,i fear that NMA has once again shot itself in the foot.It may be better in this instance to jaw-jaw instead of to war-war.
Re: Court Stops FG From Sacking Resident Doctors by Kcinho(m): 12:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
toysleek:
But Why should AMLSCN oversee that if not to see opportunity to cause more troubles for themselves and doctors
Re: Court Stops FG From Sacking Resident Doctors by Kcinho(m): 12:17pm On Aug 26, 2014
Amaizu: Like i have asked in some other forums,how does this solve the problem?.In Labour agitations,constructive engagements are usually more fruitful than litigations.The health minister has always insisted that no doctor was sacked but that the residency programme was temporarily suspended pending a review.Once you suspend the Residency programme,the issue of employment for the residents is blown to high heaven.Pls see Sanusi vs FGN (2014) where the technicality of "suspension pending investigation" was used to sack Sanusi from the CBN.
While i have great sympathy for the ARD cause,i fear that NMA has once again shot itself in the foot.It may be better in this instance to jaw-jaw instead of to war-war.
This has crippled activities in some teaching hospitals. FG doesn't know this has affected training of medical students and HOs also.

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why Kponmo Is Dangerous To Health And Could Be Banned In Nigeria / Akha,thailand Tetanus Vaccinations And Miscarriages / Why You Experience Memory Loss When Walk Through A Door Way Into Another Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.