Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,841 members, 7,945,697 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 12:48 AM

Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! (5118 Views)

The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development / Nigerian Visa Rip Off / Review Of Online Travel Agencies In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! by bigblow(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2014
Hello Nairalanders, i would love to bring to your notice my ordeal in the hands of a travel agency named TRAVELSTART. I made my bookings through their website for an onward trip to Las Vegas for a trade show and my dates were 16th August from Lagos to Houston then connect to Las vegas with United Airlines and same route back on the 28th of August. However, we were ferried to Los Angeles for another show under same platform via a coach. Somehow, some urgent business concerns required my presence back home, i contacted the airline asking to re-route my itinerary from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and shift my date backwards to the 23rd of August which they obliged, got me a seat and asked for a $210 fee. I was more than excited and offered to pay with my Visa Card but was told it must be registered to US address, hence i should contact my Travel Agent to effect the payment on my behalf, that was when my problem started. I did send an email to them, no response for 2days. I asked my wife to help get across to them on my behalf to inform them of my travel plans whilst i repeatedly stayed up late nights due to the different time zones (-8hrs) calling their mobile and landlines all to no avail. Finally, an agent responded after the 3rd day and asked me to send a mail with my request for it to be treated. i sent another mail and waited the whole day before i got a shocker from them. I was asked to pay the sum of NGN139337. This is the breakdown of their charges;

Price breakdown :
Difference in Fare: NGN106602
Difference in taxes: NGN6308
Airline change penalty: NGN19560
Travelstart admin fee: NGN6867

I was livid and could not imagine where all these charges came from. Confused and frustrated , i resolved to just stay to return on my scheduled date. Something within me asked me to contact the airlines directly one more time and asked for the changes which was effected, Lo and Behold, the airline told me there are no charges for the changes effected. i was gobsmacked! As we speak, i left Los Angeles on the 23rd and arrived Lagos on 24th.

My advice for intending travelers , endeavour if you can to make your travel plans personally with the airlines and not these thieving agencies who are hellbent on ripping innocent travelers of their hard earned resources. I have resolved never ever ever to use any travel agent for future travel plans. The morons wouldn't even have thought some peeps out there do have a lots of knowledge on ticketing. Feels good to be back home though grin

3 Likes

Re: Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! by halfcurren: 2:12pm On Aug 26, 2014
Wakanow is even the worse. They just did same thing to me last week

1 Like

Re: Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! by RoyalRoy(m): 2:26pm On Aug 26, 2014
Re: Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! by RoyalRoy(m): 2:27pm On Aug 26, 2014
Like seriously what's the rip-off in this?

Since you decided to "place your life" in their hands surely they are free to toss it around as they want.

What you should have done from the start was what you just did at the end.

I wonder sometimes why most computer Literate and educated Nigerians decide to use agents for their travel plans when they can deal with the airlines directly.
Its cheaper and more convenient.

A lesson for all to learn.

1 Like

Re: Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 26, 2014
I don't see any rip off, you choose to change your booking at your own risk!

First and foremost, they make the mistake of not telling you the penalties when you're purchasing the ticket, Most European and American airlines have alot of ridiculous classes, that you will regret ever buying in case you have a no show or intend to change your date!

The person attending to you should have take his or her time to explain all the rules for you and reason for extra charges, the airline that asked you to pay $210 and later decline you using your credit card for the transaction have reasons, if i get you right they didn't change the date, they only told you the date change penalties and not the hidden charge they've included in the repricing? if they are being truthful they can make the changes and ask you to pay the penalty at the airport! ( it's possible with all airline, if they did the change for you)

For every change, first the agent needs to get you on the same fare basis you were initially booked, but if that fare basis is not available, they book the next available class and reprice the ticket with it, off course this will create a new fare hence the reason for difference in fare stated above, secondly if there is a diff. in fare then the taxes will change too because they are re-booking with a new class, thirdly there will always be a date change penalty, which is the date change you mentioned.
If the airline are been truthful, they should have tell you of the other charges, perhaps the airline staff got to know that later, reason why he/she told you your card is unacceptable.

Though we have some greedy agents but airlines rules are terrible , I once bought Iberia airline ticket on behalf of my brother directly from them, he had a no show and they told us he can't use the ticket again because it's a promo ticket.

My advise is even if you're buying directly from the airline, know the type of ticket you buy, some tickets are not changeable or you even have to upgrade some tickets before you can use it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Journey To Canada PART 1 / Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? / Rio Carnival 2022:The Party Is Still On In Rio, Brazil(photos, Video, 18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.