Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,318 members, 7,936,966 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 09:08 AM

SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master (30064 Views)

Buhari Presented With His National ID Card (Photos) / Kachikwu Sanctions NNPC Staff Over Scandalous Project Exposed By PREMIUM TIMES / ”APC To Release Scandalous Documentary Against President Jonathan" FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by AZeD1(m): 7:08pm On Aug 29, 2014
stevecantrell:

But you're missing the point, ALL your information will be encoded on the chip on the mastercard. The govt and Mastercard will have knowledge and access to ALL your bank accounts.
Better keep your money inside your mattress. grin
My garden is better

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by datguru: 7:09pm On Aug 29, 2014
Aboki undecided
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 29, 2014
Everything about Nigeria is a bad idea

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by felixworld: 7:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
Would like someone who has a good idea of how this thing works to educate me.... I gat 3 bank accounts, only of them can be encoded into d said card abi na ? If so na to leave dt account empty use others for transactions.... If u gat a could idea about the card, kindly educate me.

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by PhockPhockMan: 7:17pm On Aug 29, 2014
Bawss1:

Pinch of a button eh? grin
,Shaaarraaaaap.
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by abbakacici: 7:18pm On Aug 29, 2014
undeniableGrace: Sentiments should be put out of this. All around the world, key business modules work best on Public private partnerships with investors putting in funds for the project. Private hands are far better in handling government projects. Kudos to the operators for thinking really smart.
no body is complaining about public/private but why should sold the datebase of all Nigerinas to American firm

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by abbakacici: 7:20pm On Aug 29, 2014
ZKOSOSO:
I see nothing wrong in this arrangement! Mastercard is global brand in the payment system industry.
OP is likely a pro-Islam with premordial hate for USA/Israel and their corporations who are hypocrically quick to collect AIDs and military assistance from the same nations. Yeye!!
so Germany, England, France etc that why all very angry last year why they found out that American are trying to spy on them are all muslim

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by kraba: 7:22pm On Aug 29, 2014
PhockPhockMan: Stop celebrating your naivety here. MTN,u AIRTEL And ETISALAT are all foreign companies, yet they in possession of personal information of millions of Nigerians including you, if NSA want any of the information from any of them, including Glo, an indigenous company, its a matter of pinch of button.

My broda, yours is one of the few informed comments I have read on this thread, first off all 160 million nigerian phone lines were. Registered with biometrics by 3 major foreign firms and I never heard any dissenting voices then, secondly, most nigerians 16 years & above have willingly gone to submit their biometrics at one foreign embassy or the other with great pride and even paid for it.
So except for myopic political gains, I see no reason why any "progressive" mind will oppose this long over due instrument of true inclusive prosperity.
This was the same excuse used by northerners to keep us from liberalising sectors like electronic/print media, aviation, telcoms, power for so long and thesame people that are "outraged" here have been raging for the "outages" in those sectors.
What you can't do for now, outsource it until you can, it simple logic.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 29, 2014
These technology otondos representing Nigerians will never stop to amuse me. Putting our nation at risk of indirect ruling simply cos of electronic device is a similitude of buying our identity with a piece of mirrow as it happened in the past.

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by obiscolly(m): 7:23pm On Aug 29, 2014
Nigerians would always look for what to criticize. How many people among those talking don't use an ATM with the MasterCard or Visa logo. You weren't bothered about security when you were using it to make all your transactions I guess? So what makes this so different? Because it's coming under GEJ's administration haters will always have something to say. Hypocrisy at its peak!

I'm not of the opinion that MasterCard will compromise our data, however I feel it's of no significance implementing a payment function in the identity cards.

4 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by AZeD1(m): 7:24pm On Aug 29, 2014
kraba:
My broda, yours is one of the few informed comments I have read on this thread, first off all 160 million nigerian phone lines were. Registered with biometrics by 3 major foreign firms and I never heard any dissenting voices then, secondly, most nigerians 16 years & above have willingly gone to submit their biometrics at one foreign embassy or the other with great pride and even paid for it.
So except for myopic political gains, I see no reason why any "progressive" mind will oppose this long over due instrument of true inclusive prosperity.
This was the same excuse used by northerners to keep us from liberalising sectors like electronic/print media, aviation, telcoms, power for so long and thesame people that are "outraged" here have been raging for the "outages" in those sectors.
What you can't do for now, outsource it until you can, it simple logic.

When you submitted your biometrics to the telecommunications company and embassies, did you also submit your financial details?

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by stevecantrell: 7:28pm On Aug 29, 2014
anakobembash: These technology otondos representing Nigerians will never stop to amuse me. Putting our nation at risk of indirect ruling simply cos of electronic device is a similitude of buying our identity with a piece of mirrow as it happened in the past.

Good intentions...wrong implementation. This kind of thing cannot happen in Europe or even the US. Their supreme court will shoot it down.

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by bendike: 7:36pm On Aug 29, 2014
ordinarily, it should be a good idea. but the problem is that the americans cant be trusted to handle such sensitive issue of a multipupose card. The issue is not about them having our information which as someone said earlier, they already do.
My point is that mastercard is an american company and american government polices recently have been proven to effect business and so they are unreliable.
Nairalanders take the case of russia. because of disagreement over russian action in ukraine, russia was SANCTIONED by the american goverment. Russian citizens could not acess their funds in the bank for days through MASTERCARD. Even till now some citizens targeted by sanctions cant. Hence russia has started developing their own payment system. The chinese have theirs.
Tomorrow we disagree with the usa over homosexuals and they then sanction us?
Iran had issues with usa and they then sanctioned them and stopped selling parts for usa built aircrafts to them!

Its a good idea but we should not do it with an american company.
STOP BUYING AMERICAN simple

7 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by cassyrooy(m): 7:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
felixworld: Would like someone who has a good idea of how this thing works to educate me.... I gat 3 bank accounts, only of them can be encoded into d said card abi na ? If so na to leave dt account empty use others for transactions.... If u gat a could idea about the card, kindly educate me.
Brother i really think that all thre3 will be synchronised into your NID Card, because you will have to update/upgrade your account(s) details when you apply for Higher ID clearance. All in one word is 'you need this card'.
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by abbakacici: 7:39pm On Aug 29, 2014
American were angry when they found out that CIA and NIA are using a private company to store their database and spy on them, even-though the firm is an american firm with almost 90% of american employees. so why should Nigerian be happy that an american company will have easy access to all their private information. and the people using facebook as example are f00ls, how many nigerian have facebook account less than 15% and less 20% of nigerian have email addresses

secondly any serious country in the world will never give a foreign company access to all their vital information. for example Germany, canada and UK who are american best friend are doing everything possible to stop america from spying on them, so Nigeria should at-last try

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by iswallker(m): 7:41pm On Aug 29, 2014
undeniableGrace: Sentiments should be put out of this. All around the world, key business modules work best on Public private partnerships with investors putting in funds for the project. Private hands are far better in handling government projects. Kudos to the operators for thinking really smart.

So there no private Nigerian hands that
Can drive payment platform..kudos..
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Misterpaul(m): 7:41pm On Aug 29, 2014
People really need to chill and stop panicking, there is no way MasterCard will get your "biometric information" because the chip on the card is like a memory card dat stores nothing but ur individual data. Mastercard integration is like having an Open SSL which doesn't require mandatory usage thereby allowing ur freedom of expression. Again: Mastercard is only incorporated just like u having ur computer and installing software, d developer of d software can't access ur laptop unless u approve of it
in d setting this is d layman's explanation of
Standalone.

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by AZeD1(m): 7:42pm On Aug 29, 2014
bendike: ordinarily, it should be a good idea. but the problem is that the americans cant be trusted to handle such sensitive issue of a multipupose card. The issue is not about them having our information which as someone said earlier, they already do.
My point is that mastercard is an american company and american government polices recently have been proven to effect business and so they are unreliable.
Nairalanders take the case of russia. because of disagreement over russian action in ukraine, russia was SANCTIONED by the american goverment. Russian citizens could not acess their funds in the bank for days through MASTERCARD. Even till now some citizens targeted by sanctions cant. Hence russia has started developing their own payment system. The chinese have theirs.
Tomorrow we disagree with the usa over homosexuals and they then sanction us?
Iran had issues with usa and they then sanctioned them and stopped selling parts for usa built aircrafts to them!

Its a good idea but we should not do it with an american company.
STOP BUYING AMERICAN simple
Its not about America alone, its the fact that our National ID shouldn't bear the logo of a company talk more of a foreign company.

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by o2k(m): 7:42pm On Aug 29, 2014
Our leaders sha!!!
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 29, 2014
I dnt really kick against the idea but the logo? Its a no no
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by kraba: 7:45pm On Aug 29, 2014
AZeD1:

When you submitted your biometrics to the telecommunications company and embassies, did you also submit your financial details?
I registered for mine today and got my NIN, I didn't give any bank details and Presently I don't have any mastercards only visacards, so if anything, I expect I'd have a choice on the account I want to attach to be able to key into the other applications on the card

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by tpia1: 7:46pm On Aug 29, 2014
who owns access bank?

my concern is this could be a test run before expanding the idea to other places in the west, eg america.

thus beginning the end times.

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by theoctopus: 7:47pm On Aug 29, 2014
You have to weep when you see a thread like this. How ignorant can this OP be? So the mastercard and visa card you use from your bank should be destroyed because mastercard is an American company, shouldnt it? Please what other information exist in the new ID that doesnt exist in your current bank account?

This is becoming very ridiculous from some naysayers

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by tpia1: 7:48pm On Aug 29, 2014
from wiki:

Overview

Access Bank is a large financial services provider, with an asset base in excess of US$12.6 billion (NGN:2.02 trillion), as of February 2012. The shareholders' equity in the bank is valued at approximately US$2.33 billion (NGN:373.5 billion)[5]

Starting in 2007, Access Bank began an International expansion drive. As of February 2012, it has subsidiaries in Burundi, Côte d'Ivoire, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ghana, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, The Gambia, Tanzania, United Kingdom, and Zambia.

Burundi - Finbank Burundi[6]
Côte d'Ivoire - Omnifinance Bank.[7]
Democratic Republic of the Congo - Banque Privée du Congo.[8]
The Gambia - Access Bank Gambia[9]
Ghana - Access Bank Ghana
Rwanda - Access Bank Rwanda.[10]
Sierra Leone - Access Bank Sierra Leone
United Kingdom - Access Bank has a head office and one branch.
Zambia - Access Bank Zambia

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by theoctopus: 7:48pm On Aug 29, 2014
AZeD1:
Its not about America alone, its the fact that our National ID shouldn't bear the logo of a company talk more of a foreign company.

What is wrong with your card bearing the logo of a company? Stop being an illiterate villager my friend!
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Misterpaul(m): 7:50pm On Aug 29, 2014
AZeD1:

I am very sure you have not registered for the national ID card. Because if you have, you would have known that there is no place in the registration form where your Bank/Financial details will be required. Nobody will ask you to provide your bank/Financial detail during registration. It seems a lot of people just argue based on assumption and not fact.

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by sufficientGrace: 7:51pm On Aug 29, 2014
emog17: Those of u saying it is bad to hv MasterCard on our national I.D card, i wnt to ask u; why does our naira notes, a symbol of national identity have Arabic inscription on it which no one understands except the Muslims? cos i knw we weren't colonized by d Arabs and neither is Arabic our official language.

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by AZeD1(m): 7:51pm On Aug 29, 2014
theoctopus:

What is wrong with your card bearing the logo of a company? Stop being an illiterate villager my friend!
I don't do free advertising.
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by theoctopus: 7:51pm On Aug 29, 2014
This ignorance is on the same level as the Ebola salt therapy!

2 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by wickyyolo: 7:55pm On Aug 29, 2014
Did they not use their pictures to open accounts. I know El rufai is scared of something. He did some back yard business.

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by wickyyolo: 7:58pm On Aug 29, 2014
theoctopus: You have to weep when you see a thread like this. How ignorant can this OP be? So the mastercard and visa card you use from your bank should be destroyed because mastercard is an American company, shouldnt it? Please what other information exist in the new ID that doesnt exist in your current bank account?

This is becoming very ridiculous from some naysayers
Honestly I dont knoww ooooooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

We’ll Be Back In Four Years Time – Okupe / 22 Top Federal Officials Sacked Over Budget Padding / Ayo Olowonihi: My Travails In The Hands Of Magu - EFCC Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.