Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,795 members, 7,875,970 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:59 AM

Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue (1266 Views)

Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? / What Does It Take To Have A Crocodile Domesticated? / Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by jovanafarms: 7:00pm On Aug 29, 2014
Despite global concerns over the hunting of animals considered to be endangered species, as well as the environment impact, the bush meat trade in West Africa has continued for decades. In Nigeria, population increase and economic survival has made it more lucrative. Today, many, especially those in the rural areas, see the bush meat trade as a viable means of livelihood.
Nigeria’s forest is, however, blessed with giant grasscutters. Despite the fact that they are carted away by hunters and traders from the rural areas to towns and cities, year-in year-out, for consumption without replenishment. With the upbeat of Ebola scare and food crisis, rearing grasscutter will be one appropriate strategy to increase protein intake and the earning capacity of Nigerians especially women, youth, unemployed and retirees. It will also reduce pressure on the animal in the wild, thus controlling environmental degradation and conserve biodiversity.
The economic potential of grasscutter meat is higher within the region and has an extensive market due to its high demand. However, it is this high demand for grasscutter’s meat that currently poses the greatest threat to its very genetic survival. The populations of wild grasscutters in Africa countries are declining due to over-hunting and destruction of their habitat. In order to ensure their sustainable existence and use, their farming at this juncture is therefore most opportune, given the fact that domesticated grasscutters are now consumers delight.
Bush meat-the meat of wild animals hunted in the forest or bush-is the favourite delicacy of many Nigerians; or used to be as the advent of the Ebola Virus Disease has forced most of the adherents of bush meat to abandon it and turn to domesticated grasscutters. The development has also dealt a heavy blow on the bush meat industry but it re-awakens the need for people to invest in grasscutter farming.
During the last few months, interest in grasscutter farming has escalated. This may be due to the outbreak of Ebola (EVD) as people now prefer home grown grasscutters than those killed by hunters from the bush. Although, grasscutter is not among the bushmeat mentioned that carry Ebola (EVD). The World Health Organisation had said ‘’the virus is transmitted to people from wild fruit bats, gorillas, monkeys and chimpanzes and spreads in human population through human-to-human transmission.”
At Jovana Farms we are encouraging people to start small-scale farming because it has enormous capacity to touch lives. Although, large scale farming has its own advantage, but it’s capital intensive and the risk aversion nature of our people have made it difficult for many entrepreneurs to go into it and so, the price of food has remained high in Nigeria.
This is the time to start raising your own grasscutter for home consumption or for commercial business, the time is right to utilize a natural food resource that is literally at your feet.
It’s imperative to adopt grasscutter farming for sustainable agricultural production and for the economic prosperity of the farmers. This stemmed from the fact that Nigerians are becoming health conscious by avoiding the consumption of red meat that is loaded with cholesterol.
Currently, demand for domesticated bush-meat (grasscutter) is growing higher than those killed by hunters from the forest. This development may not be unconnected with the recent outbreak of Ebola virus disease in some West African countries. According to World Health Organisation, Ebola virus disease is spread by Chimpanzes, gorillas, monkeys and fruit bats. Fruit bats are considered to be the natural host of Ebola virus, not all animals.
Today, we have developed a delivery system that brought the grasscutters to the doorstep of our clients. If you solve a problem, people will pay you for it. This valued-added service sky-rocketed the reputation of JOVANA FARMS as the grasscutter company of choice in Nigeria.
To raise grasscutter, one requires at least N60,000. These include the cost of the 5-grasscutters and their cage. Feeding them is affordable; they are no longer bush-meat but domesticated bush-meat. They are no longer ‘’grass-cutters but grass-eaters’’. The farmer is now the grasscutter because he goes into the bush to cut the grass for the animal that’s now the grass-eaters in the house.
To succeed in animal farming, new farmers are advised to “sit at the feet” of a mentor-someone that has years of experience, has made the mistake, has learned how to succeed and is willing to pass that knowledge down. Attend Jovana Farms nationwide seminars nearest to you and know more opportunities in grasscutter farming. Visit us at www.jovanafarm.com, E-mail:jovanafarms@gmail.com or Call: 080 33262 808, for more details. Choose also the nearest venue from the advert box in this page.

Re: Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by Pavore9: 7:24pm On Aug 29, 2014
l have followed your farm way back 2007! I am happy it has grown and enpowered many.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by ochiosa(m): 10:11pm On Aug 29, 2014
I bought a colony from your farm this February they are doing fine but you gave me two male and three female as against one male and four females.
Re: Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by jovanafarms: 3:20pm On Aug 30, 2014
ochiosa: Thanks for your mail, I'm not surprised that they are doing fine, we have the best grasscutter breeds in town. it seems there was a mistake along the line, although nowadays serious farmers prefer 2-males to 3-females for comprehensive reproduction; but the 2-males should not be allowed to be in the cage same time-you interchange them. However, you can still BRING the said male and collect female if you still prefer 1-male to 4-females.

I hope to read more from you.
Re: Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by ochiosa(m): 6:03pm On Aug 30, 2014
jovanafarms: ochiosa: Thanks for your mail, I'm not surprised that they are doing fine, we have the best grasscutter breeds in town. it seems there was a mistake along the line, although nowadays serious farmers prefer 2-males to 3-females for comprehensive reproduction; but the 2-males should not be allowed to be in the cage same time-you interchange them. However, you can still BRING the said male and collect female if you still prefer 1-male to 4-females.

I hope to read more from you.
Am planning to get another set by then I will see how you can help arrange the sex.
Re: Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by fayahsoul: 7:48pm On Sep 02, 2014
WARNING!! To all viewers: be
carefull when dealing with
jovana. If you cant go directly
to his farm to buy then forget
it. His manual, vcd and seminars are inadequate.
Greedy fat fvck.
Re: Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by tundesto(m): 11:29am On Dec 29, 2014
Don't mind this one above me. Please I need information on these? How many babies can a grasscutter bears at a time? How long does it take a Grasscutter to fully mature? How much can it be sold for in the market?
Re: Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by emmyz09(m): 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
good day oga jovans pls i want you to help me with cost details and for building a simple grasscutter house as am in a rented house so i dont want a permanent structure also how much will it cost me to get a colony? i need the information asap. also am based in the North how easy is it for me to sell when they are ready for market?
emmyz03@yahoo.com is my email would really appreciate ur response.

Thanks
Re: Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by tundesto(m): 6:58am On Dec 30, 2014
jovanafarms
Re: Ebola Scare: Domesticated Grasscutter To The Rescue by ADENITAN: 11:55am On Jan 02, 2015
Good day Sir,
Thanks for the good work,I really appreciate your good work and am interested but looking through your training schedule none is schedule for Jos,Bauchi and gombe axis,I actually reside in Bauchi and am interested,my number is 08065292770 and email is aretedo@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Needs Dry Small Fish / Tackling Poverty In Nigeria With Agriculture- My Take / My Sis Gave Birth. How Much Does A Ram (sheep) Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.