Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,437 members, 7,881,581 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 12:35 AM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (146066 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 9:30pm On Sep 30, 2014
lif2uz: judemorfy]jst hav dis week

I got to my farm today and found out that Squarel had removed and eaten up the majority of my watermelon seeds before they could germinate, Its painful!
eyhaaa vry sorry ,yu have 2 get a scare screw like Mangam said
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 9:31pm On Sep 30, 2014
judemorfy: eyhaaa vry sorry ,yu have 2 get a scare screw like Mangam said
Dis wek seem nt to be vry nice 4 us all
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by touchmeder: 6:36am On Oct 01, 2014
It is well with all the resilient farmers. Good morning n happy independence yall
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:16am On Oct 01, 2014
cheesy Happy Independence Anniversary cheesy
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:23am On Oct 01, 2014
It was a terrible week
judemorfy: Dis wek seem nt to be vry nice 4 us all
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by sholay2011(m): 7:23am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy Independence day to dear watermelons, happy new month to their farmers grin grin

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:32am On Oct 01, 2014
I went thru the farm this morning and I saw some melon flowering already within 30days of planting

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Etranshub(m): 7:36am On Oct 01, 2014
Infomizer: Interesting thread Mangam,
Had a lil experience farming kankana (what the Hausas call it) in Bunkure, Kano early this year. The harvest was poor and I can't really point fingers as I was barely around and left it with some mallos to manage. I also failed to carry out serious feasibility studies as I just got carried away by the fact that almost every TomDicknHarry was planting it there, so I didn't envisage much problems. Fast forward 3 months later and almost a 100k gone (yea! see milking), all I had as harvest were not commiserate with expectations. Apart from the fact that the intense sun affected some (the mallos didn't want to harvest in my absence and I was too damn busy in Lag, they said the harvest was poor generally (I can partly attest to this as their Cucumber and Tomato yields in the part of the village I got were also poor). I'll attach pictures later sha. It was a real learning curve then, though I later came to realise that it is planted down south too. I intend doing it again sha but I don't have the time these days and relying on someone else (which I have to) is quite limiting too. I.might keep you guys posted then. Nice one Mangam.

TL;DR
Been there, done that (with no supervision from me coz I left it in the hands of others). It was crazy, expensive, and not as fulfilling as expected. My bad though.
sorry is this stainless?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by sholay2011(m): 8:22am On Oct 01, 2014
MANGAM: I went thru the farm this morning and I saw some melon flowering already within 30days of planting
Nice! I'm happy for you mangam.

Happy flowering day to the melon plants. May God uphold them amidst the thick and thin of a harsh weather and greedy pests. grin
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 9:19am On Oct 01, 2014
Funny comment sholay2011. Thanks for ur prayers
sholay2011:
Nice! I'm happy for you mangam.

Happy flowering day to the melon plants. May God uphold them amidst the thick and thin of a harsh weather and greedy pests. grin

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by miqos02(m): 9:33am On Oct 01, 2014
MANGAM: It was a terrible week
hi can i still plant this month since rain is still fallin
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by bamdexfarms(m): 11:01am On Oct 01, 2014
Hi mangam, I noticed from your pix that water melon is a creeping plant. Won't the farm get over crowded as a result? Considering the spacing between each plant.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by roxell120(m): 3:44pm On Oct 01, 2014
MANGAM: I went thru the farm this morning and I saw some melon flowering already within 30days of planting
hehehehehe,im keenly watching u.just planted few seeds in my compound carelessly on saturday.im yet to see it germinating.cant wait to see it blossom around me.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Infomizer(m): 3:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
Etranshub: sorry is this stainless?

:/
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
Day 31
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by world1(m): 8:36pm On Oct 01, 2014
You should think about fertilizing watermelon after the vines begin to spread out and again when the blossoms appear and the fruit is set. You should think about watering your watermelon patch for the first few weeks after planting the seeds.

Watermelon plants have somewhat deep roots that are good at extracting moisture from the soil. Until these roots are developed, you should water the plants regularly with slow, deep soaks. For the first 3 weeks after planting, water your watermelon patch once or twice a week if no rain falls in your area. After the seeds have sprouted, scale back the watering to once every 10 days or so. When the vines begin to spread out, you can stop watering all together. As long as rain falls every 2 weeks, you won't have to water your watermelons again. After the fruit begins to get large, stop watering for good, even if no rain falls. This will allow the sugars in the fruit to concentrate and the flesh to stay crisp. This makes for much better tasting watermelon.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 8:42pm On Oct 01, 2014
Thanks u for the info
world1: You should think about fertilizing watermelon after the vines begin to spread out and again when the blossoms appear and the fruit is set. You should think about watering your watermelon patch for the first few weeks after planting the seeds.

Watermelon plants have somewhat deep roots that are good at extracting moisture from the soil. Until these roots are developed, you should water the plants regularly with slow, deep soaks. For the first 3 weeks after planting, water your watermelon patch once or twice a week if no rain falls in your area. After the seeds have sprouted, scale back the watering to once every 10 days or so. When the vines begin to spread out, you can stop watering all together. As long as rain falls every 2 weeks, you won't have to water your watermelons again. After the fruit begins to get large, stop watering for good, even if no rain falls. This will allow the sugars in the fruit to concentrate and the flesh to stay crisp. This makes for much better tasting watermelon.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by lif2uz(m): 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2014
You should think about fertilizing watermelon

Thanks bros for the info, that is to say application of fertilizer on the watermelon is compulsory or what?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:47pm On Oct 02, 2014
Day 32
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by dgitrader(m): 3:02am On Oct 03, 2014
Following...
@mangam and others, Sorry for your losses, i am certain its a learning curve, with better knowlegde and harvest eventually.

I got my ridges weeks back, but couldnt plant because the local seeds were not ready even after a week of preparation.
But now am fullyback to town and have planted both local and hybrid seeds, its 6 days now, no trace yet of germination(its been raining every day since i planted though) am keenly observing and will post updates here.
OP thanks once again for this wonderful thread.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by LONGFELLOW02(m): 9:02am On Oct 03, 2014
@mangam hw often do you apply insecticide abi na pesticide.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by roxell120(m): 12:22pm On Oct 03, 2014
mine germinated today ooo in awka. oluwa ose
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by world1(m): 4:49pm On Oct 03, 2014
lif2uz: You should think about fertilizing watermelon

Thanks bros for the info, that is to say application of fertilizer on the watermelon is compulsory or what?

Not really. If you can apply organic manure
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by adaemeka245(f): 5:19pm On Oct 03, 2014
roxell120: mine germinated today ooo in awka. oluwa ose
wich side of awka re u, Mayb I can cm n chk u out
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by roxell120(m): 6:28pm On Oct 03, 2014
adaemeka245:
wich side of awka re u, Mayb I can cm n chk u out
agu awka but its not a farm o but within my compound
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:33pm On Oct 03, 2014
Day 33
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 5:50pm On Oct 04, 2014
Day 34: Barka Da Sallah!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 04, 2014
Pls, how do I need to start d full scale of planting of water Mellon
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by mogentle(m): 5:48pm On Oct 05, 2014
@MAGNAM, you inspired me to get back to my abandonned land. Good news, my water melon germinated within a week.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 9:52pm On Oct 05, 2014
Day 35: happy to hear ur melons ve germinated and watch them closely so that insects wil not invade them. When u sense any, fumigate ur farm
mogentle:
@MAGNAM, you inspired me to get back to my abandonned land. Good news, my water melon germinated within a week.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (24) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.