Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,341 members, 7,897,519 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 03:27 PM

The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. (38577 Views)

A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly / Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! / Who Are The Most Educated Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by KingEdwardI(m): 10:35pm On Sep 06, 2014
glitest:

I'm shocked that UK made the list, and more shocked that Nigeria didn't make the list.

Uk employs a compulsory stand like some of the other countries (state is free & private is paid) that every child of 'school-able age' should be in school(or the parents get's visited by the Social Services/Welfare) until the age of 16 or until after GCSEs where the person decides to continue to college et al or just get a job or sumat or a vocation...

2 Likes

Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Day169: 10:37pm On Sep 06, 2014
I imagined if all Nigerians were from Ekiti,then our literacy level would've been close to 100%.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by KingEdwardI(m): 10:38pm On Sep 06, 2014
thwarrior72: Pardon my ignorance, I never know there are USA citizens who cannot read or write, I been think say na African thing

You go FEAR fear wen you follow them talk....na dem dey "sabi" pass person wey miss road enter yaba left
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by HiiiPower(m): 10:44pm On Sep 06, 2014
glitest:

I get into online fights with trolls, but not with mentally retarded cases such as yourself, who are in need of sedation.......I might not sound educated, but you aren't one to talk, when you simply can't use a (comma).

If you are highly educated, you should know excessive use of punctuation marks in short sentences is absolutely unnecessary. Another proof that you're an educated sod.

Is that why you're using 4/5 dots, instead of the standard 3 to join clauses, phrases, and short sentences together? cheesy Olodo like you; please ask for a refund from your school. And if it's either the wacky backy or pints of cider, go to rehab before it is too late. I'm a toff and you're a tosser, Ms. Potty. undecided
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 06, 2014
HiiiPower:

If you are highly educated, you should know excessive use of punctuation marks in short sentences is absolutely unnecessary. Another proof that you're an educated sod.

Is that why you're using 4/5 dots, instead of the standard 3 to join clauses, phrases, and short sentences together? cheesy Olodo like you; please ask for a refund from your school. And if it's either the wacky backy or pints of cider, go to rehab before it is too late. I'm a toff and you're tosser, Ms. Potty. undecided

Hahahaha!!..... Neither of us are in need of Rehab, cos I don't drink, neither do I do drugs...You on the other hand, you do not need rehab, cos you are simply crazy...You need to ask your mother for help, cos you are in need of either a thorough deliverance session, or an exorcism..... Or better yet, be shot...it could be the fastest way to help put an end to your madness.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by HiiiPower(m): 11:01pm On Sep 06, 2014
glitest:

Hahahaha!!..... Neither of us are in need of Rehab, cos I don't drink, neither do I do drugs...You on the other hand, you do not need rehab, cos you are simply crazy...You need to ask your mother for help, cos you are in need of either a thorough deliverance session, or an exorcism..... Or better yet, be shot...it could be the fastest way to help put an end to your madness.

A toff will always look crazy to an
alky serf. So I understand how playing catch up to someone superior got you confused like a daft apeth. I understand.

I don't do mother banter. All I do is educate the uneducated, to make their mothers happy. I'm bored now. undecided
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by star4(f): 12:05am On Sep 07, 2014
glitest:

I'm shocked that UK made the list, and more shocked that Nigeria didn't make the list.

Why are you shocked about uk? I'm surprised about Nigeria tho
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Liekiller(f): 1:31am On Sep 07, 2014
This list is NONSENSE. It appears to be based mainly on "Percent population with tertiary education". Well, the more you lower the standard, the higher that percentage will be. undecided
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Danabu(m): 2:50am On Sep 07, 2014
kunlesehan: Where is my darling Nigeria?
the ten least educated countries.

1 Like

Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by jamebex(m): 4:02am On Sep 07, 2014
Liekiller: This list is NONSENSE. It appears to be based mainly on "Percent population with tertiary education". Well, the more you lower the standard, the higher that percentage will be. undecided

Agree with you apart from the "the list is NONSENSE" part. IMO the list is fair enough if you consider the criteria used for the judgment.

I am surprise people failed to recognize that this list is based on perceived percent of the educated populace with respect to the country's total population. For instance Israel and Sweden are less than 15million each, Canada is less than 50million while Korea is approximately 50million; Nigeria is more than the combined population of France and Germany. Only Japan and USA are the two countries with a population greater than 100million yet Nigeria is still more than Japan's population.

For what it's worth, there are more educated Nigerians than the whole of Canada, however the uneducated Canadians <<<<<< uneducated Nigerians.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Liekiller(f): 4:45am On Sep 07, 2014
jamebex:

Agree with you apart from the "the list is NONSENSE" part. IMO the list is fair enough if you consider the criteria used for the judgment.

I am surprise people failed to recognize that this list is based on perceived percent of the educated populace with respect to the country's total population. For instance Israel and Sweden are less than 15million each, Canada is less than 50million while Korea is approximately 50million; Nigeria is more than the combined population of France and Germany. Only Japan and USA are the two countries with a population greater than 100million yet Nigeria is still more than Japan's population.

For what it's worth, there are more educated Nigerians than the whole of Canada, however the uneducated Canadians <<<<<< uneducated Nigerians.

Yeah it's only "nonsense" when you apply more realistic criteria. I agree with you on that. However I don't understand your reference to the total populations of these countries. The total population is totally irrelevant here. And I think we would agree that "tertiary education" does not mean quite the same in naija as it does in Norway, just as an example?
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by horlabiyi(m): 6:46am On Sep 07, 2014
Jamean:

your signature is funny o!
Well, that's none of my business.
#continues sipping Lipton tea#
lol pass the lipton around and let me taste it.

1 Like

Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 07, 2014
which korea
pls specify
north korea or south korea??
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by darnley16(m): 8:36am On Sep 07, 2014
What kind list be this? Amercan kids all they know is getting fat, and eating junk food, the only thing they know is the internet and immoral acts , same as the others on the list, Canada Pfft, how many Phd do they have individually on. That continent! If So Nigeria should be on the list, You and I know that, Nigerians win this and that all over the world , our teenagers strive hard in school make good degrees, the best in Africa, but I ask why is it just the America, Europe and Asia that made the list, even china is on the list , what is this? Only fools will accept this bias list. Thank you
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 07, 2014
horlabiyi: UK on the list?? Haha you must be kidding
UK is one of the worst among Europe countries on education
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by dubienatti(m): 9:16am On Sep 07, 2014
Titiluvly: 5. Sweden, 63.7
Sweden’s access to basic knowledge index is 63.7. The index for the country’s women’s mean years in school comes in at 61.5, secondary enrollment is at 60.5, primary enrollment is 58.9, and adult literacy is 57.5. According to the Swedish Education Act, every child and young person should have equal access to education regardless of socio-economic status. Education is compulsory for every child in the country from age of 6 or 7. The compulsory education includes special schools and programmes, which are designed for students who suffer from intellectual and physical disabilities. High school is compulsory up to age 15 or 16 and it’s also offered for free. According to the OECD research, Sweden spends more than the average country on its education system, spending about 6.7% of its national budget on education as of the end of the last decade.

4. United Kingdom, 64.0
The United Kingdom’s access to basic knowledge index is 64.0. The index of women’s mean years in school in the UK is at 60.7, secondary enrollment is 62.2, primary enrollment is 59.1, and adult literacy is 57.5. Students in the United Kingdom can either attend state schools – which are free – or independent schools that charge fees. The law requires students to go through full-time education until they are 16 years old and in the UK, financial incentives are offered to teenagers who continue in education after the age of 16 to prepare them for higher education or employment.

3. Republic of Korea, 64.2
Korea’s access to basic knowledge index is 64.2. The women’s mean years in school index is at a very strong 63.6, secondary enrollment is at 61.3, primary enrollment is at 57.9, and the adult literacy index comes in at 56.8. Education is compulsory for all children in Korea. The country offers free education for all children who are between 6 and 15 years old and high school students who are between 15 and 18 years have to pay tuition, which is subsidized by the government. Extra-curricular study and parental participation in their children’s education is considered essential, with ‘self-study’ sessions common. The citizens spend a lot of money on education compared with other countries. Koreans spend a huge 15% of the country’s GNP and 22% of their household incomes on education. However, while Korea’s education system has been praised it’s also been noted that it’s an enormously competitive environment, a factor which has been cited as a factor in the high suicide rate among Korea’s youth.

2. Japan, 64.7
Japan’s access to basic knowledge index is 64.7. The country’s education system is nationalized and the curriculum is developed by the Japanese Ministry of Education. Elementary and junior high school is compulsory in the country, where students must spend six years in elementary and at least three years in junior high. The nationalized system ensures that all students get an equal education; but it has been said that a lot of pressure is put on students to achieve highly in the university entrance exam at age 18, forcing a sort of meritocracy based on university degrees. For its provision of basic education, though, Japan still ranks as one of the most successful countries in the world.

1. Canada, 65.0
Canada’s access to basic knowledge index is at an unprecedented 65.0. Its secondary enrollment is 60.7, primary enrollment is 59.1, and adult literacy is 57.5. Canada’s education system is controlled by the different provinces, and the federal government does not regulate education – there is no national, centralised curriculum in Canada, meaning education can vary widely between the various territories. Public education is available for free for every Canadian who meets the residence and age requirements. Pre-elementary education is offered by local authorities, but it’s not compulsory. Elementary education is compulsory and it can either start at age 5 or 6 and until age 16 or 18 depending on the jurisdiction. Secondary education is also compulsory and it takes between four and six years. The country’s comprehensive education system has created one of the most skilled labor forces in the world; Canada’s strong economy and competitive industries can likely be attributed, at
least in part, to a strong, functioning system of basic education despite very little hands-on involvement from the national government.
me hear say CUBA na d most educated.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 07, 2014
MOBJECTIVE: [size=14pt]WTH,

DUDE STOLE MY THREAD THEN IT MADE FP?[/size]

Titiluvly, ever hear of plaigiarism? At least include your source, mine or the original
Bros no vex jare.....yours was under POLITICS section but the copy writer's own was under Education so its yur fault and not the thieves fault!!
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 07, 2014
MOBJECTIVE: [size=14pt]WTH,

DUDE STOLE MY THREAD THEN IT MADE FP?[/size]

Titiluvly, ever hear of plaigiarism? At least include your source, mine or the original

stole your thread...haha...forgot to add the source but its there now...btw I'm not a dude..
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by charlito94(m): 11:24am On Sep 07, 2014
grin grin :DLet's not make it sentimental on dis issue, but it need to be also emphasized dat dis list is been biased n unprecedented and as such should not be looked upon having no reasonable grounds to prove its verasity.

No african country I mean dis list is wrong, incomplete, uncalled for and finally unacceptable an the person who compiled it shud take due inquiry into the subject more cos to me

Africans nah like book even if dey don't dey try as much as possible to get it so dey won't be embarassed in the society. Dey read 24/7, burning midnight canddle, struggle for years to enter schl for nija even wen ur age don go far u think say na beans grin
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by jamebex(m): 11:42am On Sep 07, 2014
Liekiller:

Yeah it's only "nonsense" when you apply more realistic criteria. I agree with you on that. However I don't understand your reference to the total populations of these countries. The total population is totally irrelevant here. And I think we would agree that "tertiary education" does not mean quite the same in naija as it does in Norway, just as an example?

Sure more realistic criteria will give different list, perhaps a more reliable one.

"tertiary education" does not mean quite the same in naija as it does in Norway.

I have to disagree with you on this one, tertiary education means the same thing anywhere in this world. Perhaps you might want to make a case for the quality of education but that's a different thing altogether. A graduate in Nigeria will never become a high school graduate anywhere in this world.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Liekiller(f): 1:45pm On Sep 07, 2014
jamebex:

Sure more realistic criteria will give different list, perhaps a more reliable one.

"tertiary education" does not mean quite the same in naija as it does in Norway.

I have to disagree with you on this one, tertiary education means the same thing anywhere in this world. Perhaps you might want to make a case for the quality of education but that's a different thing altogether. A graduate in Nigeria will never become a high school graduate anywhere in this world.

Exactly. I was talking about the quality and contents, not the word as such.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by spinall: 2:32pm On Sep 07, 2014
I was expecting countries like somalia Iraq paki u understand naw.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by spinall: 2:35pm On Sep 07, 2014
jamebex:

gbam u have successfully destroyed d nearly country. oga suffury ooo
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by tk4rd: 3:31pm On Sep 07, 2014
PLEASE.
WHAT IS THE NIGERIAN INDEX.?
WHAT IS THE FIGURE LIKE.?
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by OkekeChristian(m): 8:15pm On Sep 07, 2014
Sagamite:

Nigeria should have been on the list!

That is a "FACT"!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

...because...
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Sagamite(m): 8:17pm On Sep 07, 2014
OkekeChristian:

...because...

.....it is a "FAAACT"!

Naija education product styleee "fact". grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 07, 2014
Titiluvly:

stole your thread...haha...forgot to add the source but its there now...btw I'm not a dude..

Yes, stole my thread. I don't do coincidences, so it's not a coincidence that you opened practically the same thread the day after mine on such a backpage topic. Anyways, nice thread miss i'm not a dude.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 07, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

Yes, stole my thread. I don't do coincidences, so it's not a coincidence that you opened practically the same thread the day after mine on such a backpage topic. Anyways, nice thread miss i'm not a dude.

Chill Sire....
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by Jimmyo3(m): 10:03pm On Sep 07, 2014
Superstar007: Where Naija dey
I bet Nigeria will be among the top 10 most religious countries
...not just on the list it is the first or second most religious nation.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by richardoz(m): 11:14pm On Sep 07, 2014
UK must definitely be among them that is what makes her 'the citadel of learning'.
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by OkekeChristian(m): 12:18am On Sep 08, 2014
Sagamite:

.....it is a "FAAACT"!

Naija education product styleee "fact". grin grin grin grin grin

f0r shining teeth, e show say your point has no "rigid idiosyncrasies".
Re: The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. by xJaysonx(m): 5:02am On Sep 08, 2014
My Canada!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15-Year-Old Boy Sent Home From School Over This Hairstyle In West Midlands / Madonna University Increases Her Tuition Fees - Pic / Regrets Of A First Class Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.