Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,100 members, 7,933,686 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 11:22 AM

Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations (6066 Views)

Militants Threaten Blow-up Of More Oil Installations / Count Me Out Of Threat To Blow Up Oil Installations- Tompolo / Militants Bomb Oil Installations In Warri, Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by Seun(m): 6:46am On Sep 21, 2005
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) -- A militia with a history of violence in Nigeria's oil-rich south threatened to blow up oil installations if the government did not release its leader, after he was reportedly arrested Tuesday.

Dozens of soldiers and police arrested Moujahid Dokubo-Asari, the main militia leader in Nigeria's south, at his office in the oil city of Port Harcourt, said his lawyer Uche Okwukwu.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/09/20/nigeria.militia.ap/

Rivers State Police Command yesterday arrested one of the leaders of the Ijaw youths movement and Chairman of the Niger Delta Peoples Volunteers Force (NDVF), Alhaji Mujahid Asari Dokubo over alleged threats to blow up oil installations in the Niger Delta area.

His arrest has been greeted with protests in Port Hacourt yesterday by Ijaw militant youths. The youths had earlier yesterday given the Federal Government 72-hours ultimatum to release Dokubo failing which they would start attacking from today, foreign oil workers found in the swamp and creeks of the Niger Delta.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=28832

Leader of the Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force (NDPVF), Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, was arrested on Tuesday in Port Harcourt and flown to Abuja for questioning by security operatives.

Police sources disclosed that Dokubo is being held in Abuja “in connection with his threats to blow up pipelines”.

http://www.independentng.com/news/nnsep210501.htm

I have always been concerned by the way this man has been saying he wants to break up Nigeria, and now he is under arrest, and his people are threatening to instigate more of what they know best - violence and terror in the Niger Delta region.  The violent showdown we can expect in the next few days was bound to happen sometime, and I hope the authorities have planned this well.

What's your take on this?
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by Seun(m): 7:14am On Sep 21, 2005

Comprehensive BBC Profile of Asari Dokubo

"Asari is a burly man of 5 feet 10 inches (1.78m). He is soft-spoken and an easy-going person who is passionate about his convictions, especially, on matters he views as injustice. He is given to fits of anger.

"In 1992, Asari attempted to get elected into the Rivers State House of Assembly but failed. In 1998, he sought to be elected as the chairman of Asari-Toru local government area but lost again.

"Asari was a founding member of the Ijaw Youths Council, IYC, becoming its first vice-president in 1998. In November 1998, the IYC issued the "Kiama Declaration", demanding control of the oil resources from the Niger Delta by the people of the Niger Delta.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3713664.stm

"The dominant image of Asari Dokubo, the Niger delta insurgent leader, that is gradually emerging in the media in Europe and the United States is of a frivolous and self-serving young man. It is mentioned, suggestively, that he drives a luxury four-wheel drive, that he has retainers at his beck and call, and that his home in Port Harcourt is a palatial mansion.

http://okrasoup.typepad.com/black_looks/2005/01/asari_dokubo_in.html
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by whizkid(f): 11:47am On Sep 21, 2005
That is what you get from negotiating with a terrorist. The other time he was flown to Abuja- Aso Rock in the presidential jet, why won't he think he is above the law.
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by CimonJorr(m): 12:55pm On Sep 21, 2005
Nigeria is truly a wonderful place..

It is not enough that a man entrusted with the welfare of his people was caught clearly in contravention of the law.. Now sycophants come out to his defense with all sorts of stories..

That:

1. He is a victim of power-play by the powers that be in Abuja..
2. The money in question is not his, but he was simply in care of the alleged amounts..
3. Why should someone who has "Diplomatic Immunity" be arrested and prosecuted by foreign powers, in flagrant disregard to the sovereignty of the home nation.. (as if Diplomatic Immunity is now a license to abuse power and the trust given to you for the welfare of the governed, and loot at will)..

[Thank God they have now learned from the Dariye precedent that Nigerian Governors are not as honorable as they appear to be.. In that case, the guy fled home, not to return back to the UK, as we can all bear witness to the K-leg that that case developed..]

Back to the case at hand..

The Govt. should tread softly on this issue, 'cos this is exactly how terrorist issues are created, and terrorists are born..

There was a time when this Asari Dokubo may have been looked upon as a freedom fighter, looking after the cause of his people.. but we can now see that events have since overtaken this view.. I personally don't think it can be justified that one who claims to be a freedom fighter would so blatantly be in support of the actions of one who has been accused time and time again of looting his state governments coffers.. to the point of threatening and harassing innocent people just going about their lawful business.. the funniest point of this was when they started saying that Shell [A Dutch company] should be held accountable for actions of the UK government, no matter how "correct" the actions are.. Just because it is the nearest oil company that they can access or hold to carry out their activities on..

It is only when people come out and strongly condemn corruption wherever it is seen and whoever it is carried out by, can the people ever have a voice which can be listened to..  But then again, I didn't really expect much from them, considering that they all know where their bread is buttered.. Following past precedents, I wouldn’t be surprised if the governor eventually comes home, and any one who was visibly seen to go against him at this time would then be on the receiving end of the brunt of his anger.. 

I believe the Nigerian government should come out and make clear, in the strongest terms possible, the distinction between wrongful arrest and procecution of Nigerian nationals overseas, as against prosecution for crimes clearly in contravention of existing laws worldwide.. Maybe when these people comprehend the difference, then maybe we can lay rest to this issues, and stop condoning corruption everywhere...  tongue
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by pintos(m): 8:55pm On Sep 23, 2005
PUZZLE. PUZZLE . PUZZLE
While I condemn any act of lawlessness from any persons or citizens of Nigeria,I also disagree with Asari Dokubo’s method of drumming up War drums  in attempt to make his point, but  i wonder  why the Government should carry out acts that may amount to the infringement of the fundamental rights of a Suspect in bringing him to justice.
Please kindly tell me why, if you know?

1. During the arraignment of Alhaji Dokubo , yesterday in an Abuja High Court, was  any charge laid formally against him or any evidence as to what the elements are of the charges, before an Order for his  detention was made?

2. Did the prosecution serve a single document  to the defense on the charges for which he is standing trial ?

3. The police we are told invited Dokubo for a ''chat'' but ended up whisking him to Abuja detention Cell . Does this not amount to the police obtaining evidence by conduct which is in the nature of a trick and duress?

4. The conduct of the Prosecution so far leaves much doubt in the minds of any right thinking member of the society as to whether the Accused can be accorded a  fair trial, one of which is the defendant's right to Counsel of his  choice, and another of which is the defendant's right to be informed of the details of the charges against him .

5. In addition, the government of Nigeria is required by international law to ensure that lawyers are able to perform their professional functions without intimidation or harassment........ in accordance with recognized professional duties"  Why then did the Government arrest Dokubo's Lawyer and prevent other lawyers from meeting him?

6. Why did the Government rush to Court, when investigation has not been concluded?

QUESTION, MORE QUESTIONS.NEEDING ANSWERS
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by CimonJorr(m): 2:13am On Sep 24, 2005
Salient points bro.. tongue

I won't fight you there....

But like u said, it's an arraignment.... not an actual court trial, so no need for the presentation of facts or hard-evidence (although his utterances would be sufficient enough to prove this case..)

I guess it's a case of "cunning man die, cunning man kill am... " grin
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by drbigdaddyg(m): 11:17am On Sep 24, 2005
Let's be very careful because this might result to another september 11 attack maybe in Aso Rock. Terrorists are not only born in Iraq and Afghanistan nor do they live only in the two countries. Dakubo's case can generate such action.

Let Fed. Govt. release the innocent man on a just mission, otherwise, they should be ready to spend billions of naira to get themselves equiped with misiles to fight terrorism in Nigeria; though I know the poor innocent people will feel the heat.

Be wise lipsrsealed
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by CimonJorr(m): 6:23pm On Sep 24, 2005
@ drbigdaddyg...

But is he really innocent?? ... And is his mission just??

drbigdaddyg:

Let's be very careful because this might result to another september 11 attack maybe in Aso Rock. Terrorists are not only born in Iraq and Afghanistan nor do they live only in the two countries. Dakubo's case can generate such action.

Let Fed. Govt. release the innocent man on a just mission, otherwise, they should be ready to spend billions of naira to get themselves equiped with misiles to fight terrorism in Nigeria; though I know the poor innocent people will feel the heat.

Be wise lipsrsealed
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by drbigdaddyg(m): 6:38pm On Sep 24, 2005
@ CimonJorr.

Dokubo is innocent. What he is doing is far from crime. He is a leader of a community just like we have a councellor in a community. He has a right to protest on behalf of his community's welfare. The problem is the Fed. Govt. want to use those people's oil without compensating them despite harm the oil is causing on the their soil fertility.

They have to protest.
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by CimonJorr(m): 6:47pm On Sep 24, 2005
Does his right to protest give him the latitude to threaten the lives of residents/citizens of Nigeria going about their lawful activites.. or the right to incite people to carry out the same?? ..

There are laws against seditious/treasonable utterances by individuals for very good reasons.. the last crisis that happened in the Niger Delta [in Delta state in particular] was started by individuals excersising their right to protest.. And we can all bear witness to the associated loss of life that happened at that particular period..

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not against people excercising their rights to protest, but I'm sure against it when it involves loss of innocent lives.. tongue
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by whiteshark(m): 9:08pm On Sep 24, 2005
Lets all stick to tha facts here...... people have rights to protest when they feel unjustly treated and government have rights to protect its citizenry against any from of threat or attack either from within or outside its territorial boundaries....... having siad this, Mr. Dokubo's statements could be termed as incitive, aggravative and treasonably therefore, the government has every right to wisk him away in any and all ways they deem fit and proper as long as his baisc rights to justice and fair hearing is not trampled opon.

As for why he was taken to court, the laws of the land states that you cannot hold a man down for more than 24 hours without a formal charge been brought against the person and since they (prosecution) has not finish with their so called investigation, they needed a court order to remained the suspect with the police and that was why they went to court.!!
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by pintos(m): 12:06am On Sep 27, 2005
CimonJorr:

Does his right to protest give him the latitude to threaten the lives of residents/citizens of Nigeria going about their lawful activites.. or the right to incite people to carry out the same?? ..

There are laws against seditious/treasonable utterances by individuals for very good reasons.. the last crisis that happened in the Niger Delta [in Delta state in particular] was started by individuals excersising their right to protest.. And we can all bear witness to the associated loss of life that happened at that particular period..

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not against people excercising their rights to protest, but I'm sure against it when it involves loss of innocent lives.. tongue
Please read this report :

http://www.fidh.org/IMG/pdf/ng092005a.pdf
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by pintos(m): 1:08am On Sep 27, 2005
My worthless case:

1. The Nigerian constitution provides that an accused person must be accorded a fair trial.
This includes his right to a legal representation of his choice.
    Section 36[6] [c] of the Nig Constitution.
    See decided cases of:
    Udofia VS [versus] The State reported in [1988] 7SCNJ 188.
    Okojie & others VS  State [1989] 1NWLR [Pt100] 642
I beg , tell me if Dokubo benefit from this constitutional provisions in this instance?

2. We know the police have constitutional powers of arrest -provided for in Section 35[1] of the Constitution ,
     however, the Constitution also provides that a person so arrested should be informed of his Crime
     within 24 hours - Sect 35[3] of the Nigeria Constitution and should be properly charged before a Competent Court , within 24 hours period if the Court is within 40 kms or 48hours if the Court more than 40 kms away.
Wise ones , please tell me if Dokubo enjoy this provisions too?

3. On what formal charge is Dokubo being detained by the Court?
     Holding charge it appears to me.
     The Nigerian Court of Appeal has since declared this practice to be in conflict with an accused's right to liberty as provided in Sect 35 of the Nigeria. Constitution.
    see the case of :
    Bayo Johnson VS AG of Lagos State [2002] 8 NWLR [pt768] 192.

Please Oga Attornije don't turn the practice of law to that of a Banana State to please your Masters.
If Dokubo has broken the laws of the land, bring the full weight of the law on his head, but do it in a proper way , so that all will see that justice is done to all.
Haba enough of this ''quick fix attitude'' by the government of each day.
The world is having a ''GOOD BIG LAUGH'' at us, the Giant of Africa''.
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by CimonJorr(m): 10:06am On Sep 27, 2005
I've downloaded the report onto my system, but it's rather a lengthy one [54 pages.. undecided]..

could you direct me to the specific section you want to refer me to.. So I can see where u're directing me..

Thanks....

pintos:

Please read this report :

http://www.fidh.org/IMG/pdf/ng092005a.pdf
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by Bibi(m): 2:55pm On Sep 27, 2005
Well, I was in Nigeria last week and truely, Asari and his followers had threatened arson due to DSP's arrest in London which so far the British high commision has insisted its not political. If Asari and co wants their governor released, they should go to London and meet the police there.

Asaris followers publicly on TV last week gave goverment 5 days to release Aasari or they will start blowing up oil installations. The government doesnt have to wait for them to start before doing something about it. We may all blame government in many ways, but when people result to arson, lawlessness to drive home their demands, then I can say, the government has nothing to do but do whatever necessary to protect the poeple and the infrastructures.

The act of threathening the country with arson and civil unrest is an act of terrorism. If terrorism is missing in our constitution, it needs to be better defined now. There are civilized and contritutional ways to make demands, not threathening the whole of Nigeria for a thiefs arrest in london.
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by Seun(m): 9:28pm On Sep 27, 2005
ABUJA, 22 Sep 2005 (IRIN) - Militants loyal to Moujahid Dokubo-Asari said they had taken over several oil facilities in the Niger Delta on Thursday, as Nigerian officials said the militia leader would be charged with treason.
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=49197&SelectRegion=West_Africa

PORT HARCOURT, 27 Sep 2005 (IRIN) - Two oil facilities in Nigeria, shut by militiamen protesting their leader's arrest, have reopened, oil company officials said on Tuesday, after the groups withdrew their threats to dynamite installations and kidnap foreign workers.
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=49259&SelectRegion=West_Africa

Well, it appears that, finally, someone somewhere is giving them good advice.
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by EzehM(m): 4:43pm On Sep 29, 2005
'His people' ?
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by CimonJorr(m): 12:50pm On Oct 02, 2005
Let's await the result of the trial... tongue

@ EzehM..

Didnt get ur quote... " 'His people'? "
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by inquisitiv: 10:45pm On Oct 03, 2008
is it true? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by texazzpete(m): 3:09pm On Oct 04, 2008
inquisitiv:

is it true? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

. . .that you're dumb? I'm afraid so.

This topic is two years old. How the hell did you not pick that up?
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by nigeria12: 5:50pm On Oct 04, 2008
Well MEND does not know how to shut down pipeline. he should ask the yorubas how to do it. na national strike, to shut down the pipeline. That how they shut down the pipeline in 1993, how old is this dokubo, It is only thru national strike that you can shut down the pipeline. All this gun and shooting can not do it. people in abuja love money. If no money flow to abuja them go listen. I have said it before they need to create coastal state half of thier problem would be solved, not niger delta ministry.

Create coastal state in warri south and bayelase west senate area.
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by nigeria12: 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2008
una dey talk of law. Nigeria no get law. If they president ask them to detail you because he want to sleep with your wife. That would be pass by the supreme court. which law. we we need to change, we have to uphold the rule of law. i Do not think blowing pipeline that can resolve the niger delta problem.

I believe first create coastal state and you would see how the problem would drop down. Oga yar adua trust me on this. I no say i been playing too much, but now i am serious if you create it, you would stop all this nonsense.
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by nigeria12: 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2008
una dey talk of law. Nigeria no get law. If they president ask them to detail you because he want to sleep with your wife. That would be pass by the supreme court. which law. we we need to change, we have to uphold the rule of law. i Do not think blowing pipeline that can resolve the niger delta problem.

I believe first create coastal state and you would see how the problem would drop down. Oga yar adua trust me on this. I no say i been playing too much, but now i am serious if you create it, you would stop all this nonsense.

I dey lagos, who want me meet. I want to see if i can attend the supreme court which oga yar adua get. to give oga yar adua moral support now,  una go come to court.
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by nigeria12: 6:19pm On Oct 04, 2008
people have rights to protest when they feel unjustly treated

which right, any person get right. you be white person?? people don't have right in nigeria. explain to me, why Nigeria law allows people from kano, katsina,jigawa to vote 3 times and yoruba can only vote once.
Re: Asari Dokubo Arrested Over Threats to Blow Up Oil Installations by Topsido(m): 10:49am On Oct 07, 2008
freedom fight is familiar and normal but anyone who disagrees with a central government defending the fondation upon which its country is built is adnormal, unwelcome and a saddistic, social misfit!

(1) (Reply)

Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities / Akpabio Misfires, Bombs Igbos / Oshiomhole Is Being Exposed Live On NTA!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.