Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,409 members, 7,920,554 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 09:18 AM

Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder (2006 Views)

Romola Adeola, Youngest Ph.D Graduate In Centre For Human Rights, University, SA / CV Of Africa's youngest PH.D holder Olaoluwa Hallowed Oluwadara (Screen Shot ) / Olaoluwa Hallowed-Oluwadara Is Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by bullionmx(m): 10:07pm On Sep 10, 2014
AT a time when the nation is plagued with all sorts of challenges, some youths seek to make the nation
proud. One of such Nigerians is Olaoluwa Hallowed Oluwadara who at 24, is Doctor of Mathematics, with a
Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 5, thus making him the youngest African with a doctorate
degree.
To achieve this, he surpassed Opeyemi Shodipe of
Babcock University who at 25 had a doctorate with a
CGPA of 4.98.
The Ekiti State indigene born in Bangui, Central
African Republic (CAR), who recently convoked from
the University of Lagos, Akoka, as the Best
Graduating PhD holder, has two first degrees in
mathematics and physics which were run
simultaneously and master’s degree in the same
courses, also run simultaneously.
From missionary parents and the last of five children,
Olaoluwa, in an interview with Vanguard Learning,
shared how he achieved this feat amidst challenges
and distractions.
Having been born and bred in a French- speaking
country, how did you cope with academics in English
language?
When I was in CAR, I was studying French in school
but speaking English at home, so it was a smooth
transition from French to English.
However, French-speaking countries have a more traditional and rigorous system of education, while the
English system welcomes change and is more into modern mathematics which I like. The capacity to adapt
matters a lot and if one works hard, adapting is not a problem.
Experience in PhD
It was challenging but very instructive. I learnt a lot about collaboration, mentoring, and the importance of
God in one’s endeavours. There were times when I was discouraged and needed my supervisor, parents
and colleagues to encourage me.
One of such instances was at the beginning of the programme. It seemed that all the topics had been
researched and there is nothing left to do except the complicated ones beyond one’s ability. Also
sometimes when you send your paper to international journals, they return it for one reason or the other.
Though it does not mean you are not good enough, but they have their reasons. That can be very
discouraging. Persistence kept me.
Distractions
There were distractions but not restricted to Nigeria. They are universal. Friends, male and female, can be
distracting. Mainly females but I am a born again Christian and I believe that when it comes to
relationships, it is best to wait for God’s time for a proper relationship which is marriage. They might not
mean anything bad, but it can be distracting.
Good job offers also come that would make you slow down your work. Fortunately, I was sponsored by
Deeper Life Bible Church under the approval of the overseer, Pastor William F. Kumuyi so there was no
need to work.
Past performance
I used to read the textbooks of my elder ones, so that made me generally smarter than my peers, albeit, I
was not always first in school but my performance improved greatly when I entered university at age 15 to
study mathematics. I have two bachelors and master’s degrees and it took me three years to get my PhD.
The Future
I believe it would not take me long to attain professorship. I might add another doctorate degree, maybe in
mathematical physics. I would also serve the house of God while working.
Guiding principle
According to the Bible, whatever your hand finds to do; do it with all thy might. That’s my motto. It keeps
me going.
Advice: Never give up. Be focused, diligent, disciplined and have God at the center of all your endeavours.
Olaoluwa Hallowed Oluwadara won University of Bangui’s All Time Best Student Award from the
Department of Mathematics (B.Sc), Best B.Sc Student Award in Physics, 2007 and Best M.Sc Awards in
Physics and Mathematics respectively in 2008. He currently is a Research Fellow of the Mathematical
Analysis and Optimisation Research Group.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/06/wasnt-always-first-school-africas-youngest-ph-d-holder/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by HonourablePomk: 10:09pm On Sep 10, 2014
Great

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by NIGHTFOX: 11:11pm On Sep 10, 2014
I personally think I wld be fine wif a masters in my field, all dis book self, were person day cari am go?

2 Likes

Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by red101(f): 4:35am On Sep 11, 2014
wow.. very impressive

1 Like

Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by tbmas(m): 6:01am On Sep 11, 2014
Nigerians sha!!! If they dnt have sumtn , they will sha luk 4 ways 2 spoil it...... Pastor adeboye also has ph.d in applied maths,go and ask im if he wil take it to heaven...... May GOD hlp us all
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by hatux: 7:15am On Sep 11, 2014
Great
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by nwaobitex: 7:46am On Sep 11, 2014
all dis epistle with no pics?
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Nobody: 8:41am On Sep 11, 2014
Youngest African with a Phd? I doubt it.

Karl-Nkem was done by 22. He's Nigerian. Thumbs up to him though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by MissBritney(f): 9:02am On Sep 11, 2014
Interesting.
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Janeify(f): 9:18am On Sep 11, 2014
NIGHTFOX: I personally think I wld be fine wif a masters in my field, all dis book self, were person day cari am go?
all na for grave oo..you are right
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by lagcity(m): 9:36am On Sep 11, 2014
Highly commendable. However, how come you still believe that born-again bible stuff if you are so intelligent? Mr. PhD holder, you have ruined it the whole thing. Don't bother getting another doctorate in mathematical physics, it would be a waste. Leave all those high-minded scientific pursuits to atheist, the real masters of the universe.

Anyway, you are still young. I hope you grow up and come to your senses.

1 Like

Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 11, 2014
[size=33pt]With all this??
the Big question is

how much does he have in his account[/size]

Read book kill yourself and you nor get money you be suegbeeeeee oooooo
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Olufemiolaolu(m): 9:55am On Sep 11, 2014
Awesome achievement.
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Olufemiolaolu(m): 10:03am On Sep 11, 2014
HonourablePomk: Great
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Lilimax(f): 10:09am On Sep 11, 2014
lagcity: Highly commendable. However, how come you still believe that born-again bible stuff if you are so intelligent? Mr. PhD holder, you have ruined it the whole thing. Don't bother getting another doctorate in mathematical physics, it would be a waste. Leave all those high-minded scientific pursuits to atheist, the real masters of the universe.

Anyway, you are still young. I hope you grow up and come to your senses.
undecided?

1 Like

Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by PrinceAdepoju(m): 10:17am On Sep 11, 2014
Wow.

###That's All !!
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Dreyl(m): 11:08am On Sep 11, 2014
Nice grin
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 11, 2014
Ok
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Drabrah(m): 11:34am On Sep 11, 2014
Yungwizzzy: [size=33pt]With all this??
the Big question is
Well, achievement/accomplishment/aspirations is an individually defined concept. 4 some, it's money, 4 others it's physical possession (houses, cars, etc), 4 others still, it's fame or accolades.
4 him, success is defined by d certies/degrees/awards obtained &achieving such @ a reasonable tym. So, let him b.
Personally, I join those dat think he's gr8 & I wish him many more.

Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Drabrah(m): 11:36am On Sep 11, 2014
[quote author=Drabrah][/quote]
Well, achievement/accomplishment/aspirations is an individually defined concept. 4 some, it's money, 4 others it's physical possession (houses, cars, etc), 4 others still, it's fame or accolades.
4 him, success is defined by d certies/degrees/awards obtained &achieving such @ a reasonable tym. So, let him b.
Personally, I join those dat think he's gr8 & I wish him many more.[
color=#006600][/color]

1 Like

Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Drabrah(m): 11:38am On Sep 11, 2014
Yungwizzzy: [size=33pt]With all this??
the Big question is

Personally, I join those dat think he's gr8 & I wish him many more.
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by OCTAVO: 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
That's good for him. cheesy
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Mayor21(m): 1:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
Impressive
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by afolayanto(m): 1:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
How I wish this deternine how far one goes in life! Congrats dude.....
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by Smartsyn(m): 3:18pm On Sep 11, 2014
Mathematics again, just like other young Ph.D holders on the world, they mostly achieve the feat with Mathematics...

And yet they keep saying that it is the hardest subject.

From a proud member of the Calculus Family..
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by bullionmx(m): 3:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
Highly commendable. However, how come you still believe that born-again bible stuff if you are so intelligent? Mr. PhD holder, you have ruined it the whole thing. Don't bother getting another doctorate in mathematical physics, it would be a waste. Leave all those high-minded scientific pursuits to atheist, the real masters of the universe.

Anyway, you are still young. I hope you grow up and come to your senses.[/quote]

GOD OF THE BIBLE WHO MADE THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS OMNISCIENT. ALL THE LAWS OF PHYSICS AND MATHS ARE HIS HANDWORK. TO BRING HIM GLORY IS TO EXCEL IN THE SCIENCES AS WELL. FOR TRUE SCIENCE IS COMPATIBLE WITH CHRISTIANITY!
Re: Meet Africa’s Youngest Ph.d Holder by lagcity(m): 3:49am On Sep 12, 2014
Lilimax: undecided?

Confused uhn? I understand. You are way out of your league here, missy. grin

(1) (Reply)

Best Nigeria University To Study Physics. / Explanation Of The Mystery Behind This Image / For Your Project Topics And Materials On PHILOSOPHY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.