Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,121 members, 7,922,722 topics. Date: Friday, 16 August 2024 at 11:58 AM

Faithless Boy - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Faithless Boy (716 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Faithless Boy by Realtol(m): 9:52am On Sep 13, 2014
THE day he witnessed soldier brutality was a war though he had never witnessed one, he had seen many in the movie. In fact, he thought he was seeing another movie when the whole issue played out. The day happened to be his 20th birthday and he wouldn't believe it even if a clairvoyant had told him heavy beating awaits him. Why would he believe? He was never a man of faith even though his father is one. At age 8, he had once asked his father for food. His father, sensing frustration and hunger that are well written over his son face, coupled with the fact that their is no food at home neither kobo in his pocket, had asked his son to pray to God and see what happened in the next hour. He did it even though throughout the time he was looking at the wall-clock awkwardly hung on the wall as if it's the food he is patiently waiting for. 1... 2 ...
"Father it is more than two hours now and nothing had happened" Said Tade " In fact, I feel more pain in my paunch"
"That is because you haven't prayed..."
With anger he snorted "Yes, I had prayed" highly frustrated, he continued" moreover, what has prayer got to do with food, even Jesus Christ when his disciples and the thousands were hungry in the Bible didn't ask them to pray but to sit, bring the fish and loaves of bread which he prayed on, multiply and fed them with it. You haven't done any and..."
A thunderous slap landed on his face and for some minutes he couldn't see anything. Since then he had hated religion and any man who claim to know what's beyond human comprehension.

Today something will happen and even if he had been told he would have dismiss it with a smug on his face and see it as a joke.
The sun rose at 7am as it used to and there have not been any report of earthquake, flood or bomb blast so why should he believe the day would be different. By 8am, he was still sleeping on the settee which currently serve as his bed since he must leave his tiny bed for his uncle who arrived late from Lagos in the previous night. The sunshine perched on his face and he groaned as he is accustomed to when a new day breaks.
Today is his birthday and also a day he would join the league of eligible voters in his constituency to exercise his franchise and see wether his vote would count or not. He woke at 8:15, rushed to the outhouse bathroom which served the whole neighbourhood, brushed his mouth and quickly had a shower. He put on his shirt, then rushed out to the polling unit thinking he is late and might not be able to be among the first ten to cast their votes as he had promised himself but he was disappointed.
Getting to the polling unit, he couldn't see either electoral officers or any electorate but a small army that seems to have being waiting for him...

...to be continued
Re: Faithless Boy by Realtol(m): 7:26am On Sep 15, 2014
... yes, he had dreamt about lot of things; as a child, he had dreamt of being the king of his town, giving order from the stool, asking guards to let in those who had ideas that could facilitate the progress of the town and the beggars to stay outside. In fact, he had once fantasised about being the husband of the young beauty in his neighbourhood who both old and young wished and prayed to marry, some even wet their pants at the thought and sight of the lady - rumour had it she was a river goddess in human form and anybody who proposes to her is not only contracting her soul to her but sealing it with the word of their mouth.
It had happened one day that Samuel and Ayo were playing Scrabble while Tade was watching when Yetunde walked pass them without saying a word
"Can't you all she the way she walks? She is not from this realm, she is from sea, only here to win souls to her kingdom - as she is going like that she is giving orders to her soldiers, telling them who to visit with misfortune, who to kill and who to rub off his glory." Said Samuel.
Perhaps, it was the drama and zeal Samuel put in his words, maybe it was because words came through his nose (this always happenedwhen he is excited), Ayo his friend and Tade who is 10 years younger burst into a wild uncontrollable laughter and started writhing their bodies on the floor.
"See, things of the spirit cannot be discerned by mere men like you. You have to be in spirit to know what I know".
It was as if fuel is added to a raging inferno, both continued their wicked laughter and wouldn't stop until 3 minutes later. After he had removed dirt on his shirts, Ayo openedhis mouth gently and said
"My friend, if you are deceiving everyone here in this neighbourhood, count me out. I can never be played by this your spiritual brouhaha. You and I know that you started seeing this girl as evil after she had turned you down... everybody in the neighborhood knows that you hated her for that and had never seen anything good in her..."
"Please stop that. I won't allow you mock the holy spirit that works in me. Are you telling me I am not filled with holy spirit to know a mere maid in the spirit of darkness? Because that is what she is... and if you care to know, she hypnotized me then but thanks to God, I'm free."
"Give me a break from this holy spirit things of yours..."
Perhaps it was intentional; perhaps it was not, a hot blow landed on Ayo's face and blood started gushing out as if it was a fountain. He couldn't believe it. He touched his face and all he could feel was a red liquid oozing out of his face. Different thought started flashing through his mind and in a twinkle of an eye Samuel was lying flat on his back - both ended up on the hospital bed that day.

He wished he was still in one of those dreams but he was wrong, he wasn't in dream, reality was staring at him. A group of army is here, holding guns in their hands, well pointed at his head, chest and knees.
"Young man, what or who do you seek?" A guttural voice had asked him from a corner which he couldn't say wether it's left or right. The voice jolted him out of his fear and hearing the voice he jumped like a man who had been pushed at the edge of a cliff in a dream. He thought to himself why didn't he take his novel, Achebe's Arrow of God, along with him, he would have had a better excuse; something like "I'm here to read", "I'm on my way to a friend house just to return his book". But he had left it at home when it would have being his saving grace.
"Are you deaf? Can't you answer a simple and direct question? If I move closer to you, though you had come in your own accord, hearse would be your ride home" The voice said again.
"Yes sir! I'm here to vote sir" his voice started to faint and his legs had became so weak beneath him, it couldn't carry him any longer and he fell heavily on the ground...

... to be continued

P.S. you can as well suggest another suitable title for this piece. Thanks!

(1) (Reply)

14 Naijagood Most Influential Under 35 / Please Where Can I Buy Any Comic Book In Anambra State? / Most Controversial Quote Of Chanel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.