Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,855 members, 7,899,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 04:22 AM

Men Of God And Political Aspiration. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Men Of God And Political Aspiration. (941 Views)

Pastor Chris Warns Comedians: Don't Joke With Men Of God! / Unfulfilled Prophecies By Men Of God / Female Aspiration For Presidency, Governorship A Taboo — Satguru Maharaj Ji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Dygeasy(m): 5:56am On Sep 14, 2014
In this part of the world, I am not sure of other places, we now have "Men of God" seeking political posts. An example is the General Overseer of HOUSEHOLD OF GOD Ministries, Rev. Chris Okotie who more than once has contested for the presidential post under a party he created himself, FRESH PARTY. Even my neighbour whose church blares its speakers directly into my room is contesting for a seat in his state's house of assembly.

Now the question is, how does this justify the fact that God instructed these people to do his work? (I may be wrong)

If Rev. Chris Okotie had won the presidential election, would he have on sundays mounted the altar and performed his pastorial duties? Or would he have entirely abandoned God's work or merely put it on hold for the duration of his tenure as president? What exactly is the rationale behind this?
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Tallesty1(m): 5:59am On Sep 14, 2014
How Are We Even Sure That They Are Truely Men Of God?

1 Like

Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Mskrisx(f): 6:09am On Sep 14, 2014
Op let em b
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Dygeasy(m): 6:34am On Sep 14, 2014
Mskrisx: Op let em b
I'm asking a question. A not very difficult question for the deep-rooted religious individuals.

1 Like

Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by KelvinGraphics(m): 6:38am On Sep 14, 2014
Dygeasy:
Now the question is, how does this justify the fact that God instructed these people to do his work? (I may be wrong)

If Rev. Chris Okotie had won the presidential election, would he have on sundays mounted the altar and performed his pastorial duties? Or would he have entirely abandoned God's work or merely put it on hold for the duration of his tenure as president? What exactly is the rationale behind this?
Maybe Obasanjo thought of this when he (Okotie) during that campaign period said God told him he was going to be the leader Obasanjo asked him to go and ask God if He meant that he is going to be the Leader of his Church Choir groupgringrin

All na leader na.

1 Like

Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Dygeasy(m): 6:41am On Sep 14, 2014
KelvinGraphics:
Maybe Obasanjo thought of this when he (Okotie) during that campaign period said God told him he was going to be the leader Obasanjo asked him to go and ask God if He meant that he is going to be the Leader of his Church Choir groupgringrin

All na leader na.
lol!
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Isk(f): 2:54pm On Sep 21, 2014
I have a problem with spiritual heads seeking political positions. People's argument for that is 'when a righteousness man is in power, the people rejoice'
They forget that that has nothing to do with pastors, priests whose main commission is to direct the flock in the path of righteousness, advise the government and speak the truth to them at all times only. No more!! As far as I'm concerned, a pastor's only role in politics should be that of advisory. Anything more makes you more sheep than actual shepherd.
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by PastorOluT(m): 5:05pm On Sep 21, 2014
Dygeasy: In this part of the world, I am not sure of other places, we now have "Men of God" seeking political posts. An example is the General Overseer of HOUSEHOLD OF GOD Ministries, Rev. Chris Okotie who more than once has contested for the presidential post under a party he created himself, FRESH PARTY. Even my neighbour whose church blares its speakers directly into my room is contesting for a seat in his state's house of assembly.

Exactly my point with them, surely they cant do the two together n would have to leave one for the other.

Just as the bible says u cant gain the world n have christ, u either have the world or christ, u just have to make a choice.
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 21, 2014
I see nothing wrong in pastors vying for political positions if their intention for wanting to be in office is borne out of a sincere desire to truly serve the Nation.

It is part of their constitutional right as Nigerians for which they reserve the right to utilize when they want to. I am quite sure there are other equally 'gifted' men who can watch over their flocks in their stead.

The problem Nigeria has is largely due to the fact that good men have decided to shun politics. If pastors can be better administrators politically, then by all means let them turn up in their numbers to vie for any position.
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by sparkleboy(m): 8:44am On Sep 25, 2014
As we all know that politics in Nigeria and infact the whole world is dirty and has a lot of attachments that shouldn't be attached to people referred to as men of God. So it just not ok for a man of God to leave the work of God and be " serving Tables" that's why the early church appointed deacons. And also Jesus christ said His Kingdom is not of this world, so if this so called "men of God ". Are really intereested in helping the people they should face their calling and help the souls that are perishing by preaching christ and the cross and not only prosperity.
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by KehindeAwoniyi(m): 11:38pm On Sep 25, 2014
G'day everyone. Before I proceed, I would like to believe that the op is a person that believes in the existence of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit.
My people have asked this question but not many people have received a satisfactory and adequate answer,and as such, judgment is misguided.

The reason, I believe, men of God go into politics is because the Holy Spirit has led them to. God may choose to effect positive change to a people by using a servant of his.

The Bible told us, in the book of Matthew 6:10 KJV
''Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.''
I would like to base my explanation on the first part''thy kingdom come''.

This line tells us believers to take dominion over the affairs of man. When we pray, thy kingdom come, little do we know that 'the kingdom' will 'come' through us while on earth.

The problem of many believers is that they choose to be passive concerning things of authority and domination when led by the Holy Spirit. My believers do not know that God will only reign through us, His sons on earth.

Furthermore, the book of
''Proverbs 29:2 KJV
When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.''. When a man, authorized and certified by God is in politics, I believe that the people will be satisfied as everything he does will be according to the leading of God and leading will be made easy through the divine wisdom given to him.
In summary, I believe a man of God can go into politics if and only if he is authorized by God.
Shalom
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Dygeasy(m): 2:02pm On Sep 26, 2014
KehindeAwoniyi: G'day everyone. Before I proceed, I would like to believe that the op is a person that believes in the existence of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit.
My people have asked this question but not many people have received a satisfactory and adequate answer,and as such, judgment is misguided.

The reason, I believe, men of God go into politics is because the Holy Spirit has led them to. God may choose to effect positive change to a people by using a servant of his.

This line tells us believers to take dominion over the affairs of man. When we pray, thy kingdom come, little do we know that 'the kingdom' will 'come' through us while on earth.

The problem of many believers is that they choose to be passive concerning things of authority and domination when led by the Holy Spirit. My believers do not know that God will only reign through us, His sons on earth.

Furthermore, the book of
When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.''. When a man, authorized and certified by God is in politics, I believe that the people will be satisfied as everything he does will be according to the leading of God and leading will be made easy through the divine wisdom given to him.
In summary, I believe a man of God can go into politics if and only if he is authorized by God.
Shalom
lol!

I'm sorry I laughe. But you still didn't answer the question.

Let's do it again.

Who is a man of God?

Why did he become a man of God? (give possible reasons)

Now, go back to the original post and answer this; What happens to the house of God which God put into place through him while he's out there holding a political office?

Thanks.
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by LogoDWhiz(m): 5:04pm On Sep 26, 2014
KehindeAwoniyi: G'day everyone. Before I proceed, I would like to believe that the op is a person that believes in the existence of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Furthermore, the book of
Shalom

Don't deceive yourself. God can't ask a true Man of God to go into politics. When there are lots of souls to win back to him.

Going into politics come with an added sense of responsibility and work, making it more harder for u to combine work and serving God, and then they will start giving excuse(s) for coming late to church programs. And if they don't attend to their political work, they'll be removed.

So, you see, you can't combine both in an ideal sense.

And God can't ask u to. There are lots of things a true man of God can do for God and what God can ask him to do. And i know for a certainty that Politics isn't one.

Shallom
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by KehindeAwoniyi(m): 6:20pm On Sep 26, 2014
Dygeasy: lol!

I'm sorry I laughe. But you still didn't answer the question.

Let's do it again.

Who is a man of God?

Why did he become a man of God? (give possible reasons)

Now, go back to the original post and answer this; What happens to the house of God which God put into place through him while he's out there holding a political office?

Thanks.

1.) Joseph was the Prime Minister of Egypt at
God’s leading and did a wonderful job. He didn’t
ask for the position, but never shirked away
from doing it when selected by pharaoh. In fact,
he later told his brothers that it was God who
directed in this matter in order that the
Israelites might be preserved. (Genesis 45:5 and
50:20-21)

2.) After the interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar's
dream, Daniel was proclaimed "the ruler over
the whole province of Babylon, and chief of the
governors over all the wise men of Babylon."
(Daniel 2:48)
During the reign of the Persians, he
held the title of "first president" "because an
excellent spirit was in him and the king thought
to set him over the whole realm". (Daniel 6:1-3)
Daniel was a man of great influence in his day
and it's important to note that he never at any
time forgot to give God the glory for his success.
(Daniel 2:27-28 and 6:22)
Though he ruled in pagan
territories, Daniel was consistently faithful to
the Lord, even when his life was in danger
(Daniel 6:10-13) .
Daniel didn't hesitate to do "the
right thing", even when it meant that he had to
rebuke kings because of their sins (Daniel 4:27
and 5:22-28) . He didn't check the “poles” to see
what course of action to take, but rather, he
sought direction from the Lord of all heaven and
earth (Daniel 2:17-23 and 9:3) . Indeed, Daniel
served God continually. (Daniel 6:16)

3.) Psalm 33:12 says, “Blessed is the nation whose
God is the Lord.” Human logic tells me that it
would be much better for a city, state, or country
to have a true Christian at it’s head, as opposed
to a wicked tyrant. What nation in the Bible has
ever followed the Lord when its ruler was a
wicked man? Bible history is full of stories that
say, “King so and so did what was pleasing in
the sight of the Lord and the people followed the
Lord all the days of the King” or “The king
forsook the Lord and caused the people to do
more abominations than all the kings before
him.”

4.) Proverbs 11:14 tells us that, “Where there is no
counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of
counselors there is safety.” The counsel we
desperately need is a real knowledge of God's
will and the course that is righteous in His sight.
Who should know more about God’s will than a
true minister of the gospel? Matthew 5:9 says,
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be
called the sons of God.” Let’s ask ourselves this
question: Do we need peacemakers in
government? Of course we do.

5) Proverbs 3:5 instructs us to “Trust in the Lord
with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding. In all your ways acknowledge
Him, and He shall direct your paths.” If my
country asks me to serve in a political capacity
and I am willing to take my relationship with
God into every detail of my work, surely the
Lord can direct my path so that all can see His
leading and His name can be glorified. I just
need to maintain a constant connection with
Him and make sure that this is truly His will for
my life.
When we look back into history, we actually find
that a large percentage of the government
leaders were clergy. One reason for this was the
fact that they were among the few that could
read and write – the educated. The problems
that the early church (or the kingdoms)
experienced weren’t because they were clergy,
but because they were greedy or became greedy.
The axiom that ‘power corrupts, and absolute
power corrupts totally' can be seen in so many
clergy of the Middle Ages and has even carried
over into some churches today.
We might also ask you this question: “Which
man (or woman) would you rather have as your
government leader: A Hollywood movie star or a
consecrated Christian minister? In conclusion
then, Romans 13:1 caps this for me. It says, “Let
every soul be subject to the governing
authorities. For there is no authority except
from God, and the authorities that exist are
appointed by God.
” This implies that God is in
charge of all governments and He is working to
do His righteous ways in all things. Sometimes
bad people are allowed to rule to bring about
His mysterious ways, such as the evil pharaoh in
Egypt, whose stubbornness helped the Israelites
understand patience and God’s mighty power to
save. If the pharaoh had let the people go right
away, how would the children of Israel know
that God had the ability to take them to the
Promised Land? And we must never forget that
God, at times, allows sinners to punish sinners.

e.g. The Babylonians and the Syrians taking the
Children of Israel captive into slavery because
they had adopted so much heathenism and they
loved their pagan rituals more than the Lord.
This was God’s way of “waking them up.” (Isaiah
Chapter 1)

I wish that there were more true Christians in
public office – ministers or nonministers.
Corruption in politics is destroying the love of
liberty (democracy) in our land and the moral
structure of the world as we know it. While it's
sad to say, the United States of America is no
longer a Christian nation. The same can be said
of many countries and governments around the
globe. We have a great need for leaders like
King David who was a man after God's own
heart, who sought to fulfill His holy will. (Acts
13:22) According to the Bible, this probably
won't happen until Christ, the King of Kings and
Lord of Lords (Revelation 19:16) reigns over this
world when it will be re-created and purged
from sin. (2 Peter 3:10-13; Revelation 21) Yes, God's
Holy Word assures us that evil intentions and
ungodliness will increase until the return of
Christ (2 Timothy 3:1-5 and 13; Matthew 24:12) , but
we have the promise that we will one day reign
with Jesus in His heavenly kingdom! (Revelation
20:6; Romans 8:16-18)

In fact, this notion even has an application for
us today: Christians are to live holy lives as
children of the King because we "are a chosen
generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a
peculiar people; that ye should show forth the
praises of him who hath called you out of
darkness into his marvelous light: Which in time
past were not a people, but are now the people
of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now
have obtained mercy. Dearly beloved, I beseech
you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from
fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; Having
your conversation honest among the Gentiles:
that, whereas they speak against you as
evildoers, they may by your good works, which
they shall behold, glorify God in the day of
visitation." (1 Peter 2:9-12)

Shalom
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Jeanfortune(f): 7:52pm On Sep 26, 2014
hey Kehinde, u r just making this thread extremly long and somewhat unnecessary
there's a difference between a true christian becoming involve in politics and when a supposed pastor becomes a president, there is no way he can combine leading the country and church at d same time... GOT THAT
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Dygeasy(m): 10:05am On Sep 27, 2014
KehindeAwoniyi.

The examples you're citing don't quite follow. Talk about irrelevancier. Joseph, David, Daniel weren't christians (prove me wrong). They lived long before Jesus was born.

You don't have to be a man of God or a pastor or what not before you qualify as 'a man after God's heart'. Please try and be concise, you still aren't treating the main point of the discuss.

In the world today, how can a 'Man of God' combine God's work and a political office together?

Please note the bolded to save us all from unnecessary quotes from the bible.

And to your question, I'd rather have a seemingly upright man as a political leader. His job matters not. This thread is to question the priority of a man of God between God's work or political aspirations.

You don't mean to tell me one is either a man of God or a nollywood star? Just two sides? Seriously?

1 Like

Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Dygeasy(m): 10:06am On Sep 27, 2014
Jeanfortune: hey Kehinde, u r just making this thread extremly long and somewhat unnecessary
there's a difference between a true christian becoming involve in politics and when a supposed pastor becomes a president, there is no way he can combine leading the country and church at d same time... GOT THAT
Thank you!
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by asalimpo(m): 11:12am On Sep 27, 2014
@kehindeAwoniyi
Who is a true christian?

In nigeria politics is a capstone career.
Something for people to retire into. Of course,its a shortcut to money,fame,recognition.
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by Image123(m): 4:28pm On Sep 27, 2014
If by men of God, you mean pastor. A pastor has no business vying for political post, he is being deceived.
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by KehindeAwoniyi(m): 9:28pm On Sep 27, 2014
Dygeasy: KehindeAwoniyi.

The examples you're citing don't quite follow. Talk about irrelevancier. Joseph, David, Daniel weren't christians (prove me wrong). They lived long before Jesus was born.

You don't have to be a man of God or a pastor or what not before you qualify as 'a man after God's heart'. Please try and be concise, you still aren't treating the main point of the discuss.

In the world today, how can a 'Man of God' combine God's work and a political office together?

Please note the bolded to save us all from unnecessary quotes from the bible.

And to your question, I'd rather have a seemingly upright man as a political leader. His job matters not. This thread is to question the priority of a man of God between God's work or political aspirations.

You don't mean to tell me one is either a man of God or a nollywood star? Just two sides? Seriously?
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by KehindeAwoniyi(m): 9:39pm On Sep 27, 2014
asalimpo: @kehindeAwoniyi
Who is a true christian?

In Nigeria politics is a capstone career.
Something for people to retire into. Of course,its a shortcut to money,fame,recognition.

Nicely said bro, based on the nature of politics these days, especially in Nigeria, it is better for a Christian to continue in the Christian race rather than delve into politics but it still remains that any man of God called into politics shouldn't be castigated or criticised as we cannot tell his intentions and possible future performance.
Shalom
Re: Men Of God And Political Aspiration. by KehindeAwoniyi(m): 9:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
[quote author=KehindeAwoniyi][/quote]

Now I get what you're trying to say...In the world today, the nature of politics is not palatable for a true believer who wishes to make a difference most of the time,but I still stand by the fact that we should not criticise any man of God who wishes to do so. As u rightly said, a non-believer may possibly perform better than a man of God in politics. Infact, I personally do not quite agree with politics+ministry but I do not criticise or judge them as I do not know their reason for doing so.
Peace

(1) (Reply)

WOMAN HEALED OF EBOLA AFTER A TOUCH FROM GOD—A PRAYER WARRIOR'S TESTIMONY / Christians: Do You Think Listening To Wordly Musics Is A Sing?? / Correct Way Of Baptism: Name Of Father Son Holy Ghost Or Jesus Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.