Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,965 members, 7,873,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:03 AM

Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa (629 Views)

Buhari Has Removed Veil Of Economic Secrecy- Sen Nwaogu. / Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa / Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by dmoville(m): 11:35am On Sep 14, 2014
For more than two years now the economy of Bayelsa has been in perpetual penury. Civil servants and ordinary folks have been worse hit. Salaries of civil servants both at the state and local government level have been drastically reduced as a result of taxes imposed on workers by government. Let's not also forget that Bayelsa can be best termed a civil servants state where bulk of its workforce are civil servants and depend on government. Ordinary folks and unemployed Bayelsans are not left out because they are finding things really hard in the state. Sometime ago an SSA in the state wrote on social media lauding the fact that in bayelsa state those that were driving SUVs and other exotic cars can no longer maintain it and have resorted to packing it in their garage, he was also happy that Bayelsa is fast becoming a state of low income earners due to the economic hardship notwithstanding that Bayelsa is one of the highest receivers of federal allocation and richest as a result of its huge oil and gas deposite, but unfortunately this feat have not been reciprocated in the lives of its people.

Government have continuously blamed the current economic hardship and all its woes on dwindling federal allocation even though it has launched different economic policies which it said are all aimed at making the state self sufficient and less dependent on oil.

In respect to these policies Bayelsans have seen the setting up of different government owned business enterprises like Niger-Delta sea foods limited, re-organised Bayelsa oil palm limited, Bayelsa dredging and construction company, state owned fish ponds, Bayelsa plastic company, state owned rice farms and cassava farms etc
In the just concluded economic forum government revealed that it has made available billions of naira for SMEs operating in the state and those intending to start their own small scale businesses, but going to months now no tangible guideline have been given on how to access the funds and this has put into question government's sincerity in tackling the increasing menace of unemployment. Just of recent the CBN released the sum of N220b to fund SMEs in the 36 states.

So far the above points have triggered my consciousness to ask the following questions:

Now with all these business enterprises and monies allegedly provided by government to boast the economic fortunes of Bayelsa why is the state still sinking deep into an economic abyss and retrogressing economically?

Are our economic woes as a results of government's unseriousness to match their words with concrete actions, the business ventures are not properly set up or policies were not properly formulated?

Is it that government is sabotaging its own economic policies deliberately as a result of widespread corruption in government? (#furuocracy)
NB: This also brings to bear the reluctance of government to formally inaugurate the Bayelsa state anti-corruption commission.

Finally, when is Bayelsa state going to be self sufficient and less dependent on black gold (oil)?

#sufferation
Re: Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 14, 2014
Op
The situation of Bayelsa State is a pathetic one. Bayelsa happens to be the exclusive Ijaw State that we have at present, it is also seen as a home to every Ijaws. Unfortunately, her government has been mediocres and perpetual failures. First it was Alamesiagha Depriye, who engage in laudable human development policies and infrastrutural development before his disgraceful exit. Since his exit from Government house in 2005, his successors had been plunging the state into further misery.
The Goodluck Jonathan Administration was pathetic that couldn't maintain the policies of his predecessor and his boss.
Then comes Sylva Timpre who only go about gallavanting without any vision nor progress.
After his unceremoneous exit came the Chief Stooge and Joke Seriake Dickson. This man who's also the incumbent has bastardized the economy of the Great Bayelsa State. What do you expect from a man that had no reasonable manifesto during the electioneering period? A big shame.
Meanwhile this State Bayelsa has one of the least population, the have the least number of LG but receive the Second Highest in terms of Federal Allocation. At a point Bayelsa state receive even more than Rivers State( her sister state), Lagos State, Kano State etc

But I am confident that Bayelsa will rise again. I am confident that patriots will takeover the mantle of Leadership from clueless people of Jonathan, Sylva and Dickson. We need someone in the mould of DSP Alams but without corruption mentality.

I believe in Bayelsa
I believe In Ijaw prowess

2 Likes

Re: Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by dmoville(m): 12:05pm On Sep 14, 2014
barcanista: Op
The situation of Bayelsa State is a pathetic one. Bayelsa happens to be the exclusive Ijaw State that we have at present, it is also seen as a home to every Ijaws. Unfortunately, her government has been mediocres and perpetual failures. First it was Alamesiagha Depriye, who engage in laudable human development policies and infrastrutural development before his disgraceful exit. Since his exit from Government house in 2005, his successors had been plunging the state into further misery.
The Goodluck Jonathan Administration was pathetic that couldn't maintain the policies of his predecessor and his boss.
Then comes Sylva Timpre who only go about gallavanting without any vision nor progress.
After his unceremoneous exit came the Chief Stooge and Joke Seriake Dickson. This man who's also the incumbent has bastardized the economy of the Great Bayelsa State. What do you expect from a man that had no reasonable manifesto during the electioneering period? A big shame.
Meanwhile this State Bayelsa has one of the least population, the have the least number of LG but receive the Second Highest in terms of Federal Allocation. At a point Bayelsa state receive even more than Rivers State( her sister state), Lagos State, Kano State etc

But I am confident that Bayelsa will rise again. I am confident that patriots will takeover the mantle of Leadership from clueless people of Jonathan, Sylva and Dickson. We need someone in the mould of DSP Alams but without corruption mentality.

I believe in Bayelsa
I believe In Ijaw prowess

Yes my brother we shall overcome all this very soon... My happiness is that 2016 is not too far ahead. I pray everyday as the elections draw closer Bayelsans don't sell their votes for peanuts and end up suffering for the next four years again as we are doing now.
Re: Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 14, 2014
dmoville:

Yes my brother we shall overcome all this very soon... My happiness is that 2016 is not too far ahead. I pray everyday as the elections draw closer Bayelsans don't sell their votes for peanuts and end up suffering for the next four years again as we are doing now.
Amen. Who are the Candidates this time?
Re: Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by dmoville(m): 12:36pm On Sep 14, 2014
barcanista: Amen. Who are the Candidates this time?

No one has really declared his/her intention to run but Dickson and his cartel have been going on fruitless endorsement tours for a second term of lately.
Re: Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2014
dmoville:

No one has really declared his/her intention to run but Dickson and his cartel have been going on fruitless endorsement tours for a second term of lately.
What of Timi Alaibe? Though I don't like his face but we need a break from the Jonathan's and cabal grip
Re: Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by dmoville(m): 12:54pm On Sep 14, 2014
barcanista: What of Timi Alaibe? Though I don't like his face but we need a break from the Jonathan's and cabal grip

Timi Alaibe's a sellout. We need fresh blood.
Re: Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by BlackTechnology: 1:19pm On Sep 14, 2014
Yes its possible

Bayelsa can attain socioeconomic prosperity if

1) She through her formal and informal education system.

a) Introduce " Personal socio-financial management and its impacts on the socioeconomic prosperity of Bayelsa " as a subject in her primary secondary and higher public/ private schools.

In this subject, real life assumptions should be used to teach the students to see how their personal management of their socio-finance lifestyle can impact positively or negatively on Bayelsa's socioeconomic prosperity.

Real life assumption
Eg Taiwo's family ( man and his wife) both earn #150000 per month . They decided to have 2 kids only, live in a less expensive house and buy a car that is less expensive to maintain. This enabled them to save and invest #50000 every month for 10yrs which amounted to at least 8million naira enabling them to invest in a bread factory that employs 10 Staff and generate a monthly income after expenses of #300,000 monthly.The next 10yrs of their working lives, the #300,000 from the bread business generated every month and the #50,000 they save were used to
i) Build their own house
ii) Create other businesses which generated additional 20 jobs

Dayo's family earns #150 000 monthly . They have 5 children, lived in a costly apartment, and sent their kids to a very expensive school. They were only able to save and invest 20, 000 naira every month for 10yrs which amounted to 4million naira which they used to build a house. The next 10 yrs of their working life, they acquired shares treasury bills etc and retired.

At the end of the day, the students will be asked to pick which of the two that ended up impacting positively or negatively on Bayelsa's socioeconomic prosperity.

With this real life assumptions , the people will be wise in socio financial matters.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by dmoville(m): 1:22pm On Sep 14, 2014
BlackTechnology: Yes its possible

Bayelsa can attain socioeconomic prosperity if

1) She through her formal and informal education system.

a) Introduce " Personal socio-financial management and its impacts on the socioeconomic prosperity of Bayelsa " as a subject in her primary secondary and higher public/ private schools.

In this subject, real life assumptions should be used to teach the students to see how their personal management of their socio-finance lifestyle can impact positively or negatively on Bayelsa's socioeconomic prosperity.

Real life assumption
Eg Taiwo's family ( man and his wife) both earn #150000 per month . They decided to have 2 kids only, live in a less expensive house and buy a car that is less expensive to maintain. This enabled them to save and invest #50000 every month for 10yrs which amounted to at least 8million naira enabling them to invest in a bread factory that employs 10 Staff and generate a monthly income after expenses of #300,000 monthly.The next 10yrs of their working lives, the #300,000 from the bread business generated every month and the #50,000 they save were used to
i) Build their own house
ii) Create other businesses which generated additional 20 jobs

Dayo's family earns #150 000 monthly . They have 5 children, lived in a costly apartment, and sent their kids to a very expensive school. They were only able to save and invest 20, 000 naira every month for 10yrs which amounted to 4million naira which they used to build a house. The next 10 yrs of their working life, they acquired shares treasury bills etc and retired.

At the end of the day, the students will be asked to pick which of the two that ended up impacting positively or negatively on Bayelsa's socioeconomic prosperity.

With this real life assumptions , the people will be wise in socio financial matters.

Very good suggestion
Re: Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa by BlackTechnology: 1:57pm On Sep 14, 2014
dmoville:

Very good suggestion

Another path they should take is

CONVERSION OF BAYELSA WORKERS TO BUSINESS PEOPLE and INVESTORS

Fact is that in achieving socioeconomic prosperity the business/investment potential of the working class has not being tapped.

Bayelsa should pay her workers well and force them to save for at least 10yrs while attending compulsory socio-financial seminars during that 10 yrs. After 10yrs, those interested in creating job/profit businesses should be encouraged by
a) Tax exempting them for 5yrs in order to help their businesses grow.
b) Making available long term low interest micro credits to those whose businesses have created more well paid jobs and kept their tax records clean.

This will encourage many Bayelsa working class to become more business conscious leading to a greater socioeconomic prosperity.

(1) (Reply)

Get Ready For Ebola, Rivers Warns Abia, Others / 2015: No Vacancy In Aso Rock - Babangida Aliyu / Pray For Ekiti People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.