Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,625 members, 7,937,839 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 12:56 PM

Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC (25950 Views)

Secession. Catalonia To Vote On Referendum From Spain. / Scotland Yard Detectives Identified In Uk Bribing Scandal - James Ibori / Osama Bin Laden's Death Does Not Swing American Voters To President Barack Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by daquestsly(m): 8:15am On Sep 19, 2014
Na waa. Ooh
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Awoofawo(m): 8:16am On Sep 19, 2014
Eldavido1:

Maybe you should read more of your history than nairaland probably you will be educated on how your nation evolved.

History teacher I don come class with my slate and ya begin the lesson cool grin
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by maxit2(m): 8:17am On Sep 19, 2014
Collynzo17:
Shut up fool. The scots were given the opportunity to decide what is good for them.
The scotland situation cannot in anyway be compared to what is obtainable in Nigeria.
There is nothing like unity here.

1st i aint no fool. Wondering why your likes will be bold enough to call someone a fool even after looking at your mother's behaviour. An apple does not fall far from the tree. What gave you the impression that you'd grow up to become a smart person seeing how stupeed your mother is. Let's leave your dead father out of it. May his soul R.I.P.

Maybe we don't have unity. But one thing is certain, by the time your status turns to that of your father(R.I.P) we will be a step closer to UNITY.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 19, 2014
careytommy:
There is the part you start hearing irrational statements like “to keep Nigeria one is a task that must be done”,“the unity of Nigeria is not negotiable” angry
Why is that "irrational" exactly? Do you have any idea what Nigeria represents or why it exists? Or what the consequences of a breakup will be?
I bet you don't. But the easiest thing to do is to ridicule and insult what you don't understand yes?

Well, I've said it previously that regardless of how much foot-stamping you bunch of cry babies do, Nigeria will remain undivided.
I bet with all your online big mouth, you can't even talk back to a soldier. Let's see how you want to disintegrate a 100 year old country of 177,000,000.
Shior.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nihilist: 8:20am On Sep 19, 2014
So Mel Gibson died in vain tongue
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Basic problems with a potential Independence vote in Nigeria.

1.Who conducts the vote? INEC? (that has problems with conducting the regular vote? That is not independent?) The UN ? (which opens the door for foreign intervention?)

2.What is a region? Nigerians who talk about separation assume that it is still 1964....when we had four semi-autonomous regions. It isn't, thanks to state creation.....which has changed the dynamics well well....especially with regards to minority rights.

3.Most of the chaps calling for splitting Nigeria are usually from the big tribes. And many of them are so disdainful of minority rights that the idea of independence where majority tribes dominate minority tribes in the new countries......is not acceptable to minorities.(Infact, that is why we have states in the first place....because minorities were tired of being dominated by majorities in the old regions....and that is why we even had the Midwest region created in 63).

4.What currency will each of the countries use? Assuming say...Biafra splits up from Nigeria for example....would they still use the Naira? (When Biafra was formed in 67...they used the Nigerian Pound until Jack Gowon played a fast one on them in 68 and changed the colour of the Nigerian Pound).Would Abuja let them? And do you know the difficulties in creating a new currency? (That is one of the reasons why Scotland voted no).

5.Who controls the oil (That is why it took five years for Sudan to split up....arguments over control of oil....an argument they still have now). If there is a split...there is going to be some argument over compensation for missing oil money.

6.And there are issues over landlocked countries vs countries with access to the sea.

7.At the bolded....Nigeria is not united...so also is the UK. Wales, Northern Ireland , even Cornwall have their own issues...and Ireland split from the UK in 1922.

And I have more confidence in the parts of the UK surviving on their own than Nigeria....because you Nigerians are not interested in harnessing your human and natural resources for innovative development. You are not interested in creating new jobs, new industries etc....which all the parts of the UK do. You Nigerians are only interested in selling raw materials...oil especially...and sharing the money. And the only reason why you grumble about oil money is because you think that the other parts are cheating you of your fair share. You and your Hausa pals.

So, Nigerians...go home, stop arguing over tribe, religion, Sharia, and resource control. Stop waving the flag of Islamist fundamentalism. Stop your message of christian prosperity without hard work....and go home and invest in education, industry , defeating corruption, and justice for all under the law.....and when each and every state in Nigeria is self sustaining and can boast of industries and jobs galore...because that is why they were created...for development....then we can talk all day long about splitting.

Scotland has oil...but it also has a diversified industrial setup. You Nigerians want separation or unity because you all want to be like a rich man's trophy wife...spending her husband's money on baubles...and refusing to work ever. Well....better get working. This isn't paradise....it is planet Earth.
POST OF THE WEEK!

CLOSE THE FUKING THREAD!!!

5 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by eruchboy(m): 8:22am On Sep 19, 2014
guess they still want to be part of the Empire of the United Kingdoms
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Amadaz(m): 8:24am On Sep 19, 2014
There're better off being together.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 19, 2014
PAGAN9JA: [size=18pt]
VERY SAD RESULTS!

IT WAS A CLOSE MATCH.

ETHNIC INDEPENDENCE IS IMPORTANT!

SCOTLAND THE BRAVE![/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycy0KZMlV6c

Well, even if Scotland voted yes...the Queen of England would have still been their queen, the English pound would have still been their currency...and most Scots would still be speaking English(very few scots speak Scots Gaelic).

Anyway they lost for these main reasons

1.Economic....a lot of companies threatened to pull out of Scotland in the event of a yes vote...plus the oil in scotland will run out in a few decades.

2.The EU...if Scotland had voted yes...they would have found their road to the EU blocked by Spain (which faces seven separatist movements....the Basques and the Catalans two of them). Spain feared a yes vote could lead to the breakup of spain.

3.Scotland already has powers over much of its activities...so they do not really need independence.(They crucially had cultural independence...you can speak Scots Gaelic freely....sadly less than 5% of the population speak it).

Ethnic independence works...so long as you have your economic , cultural and big picture dominoes lined up perfectly.(And if they are not...it won't happen as Quebec found out when they tried to split from Canada.

3 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 19, 2014
Yet they rejected Crimea's referendum? Who is decieving who?

6 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by justitiaomnibus(m): 8:31am On Sep 19, 2014
Good Omen for 1-Nigeria if u ask me.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Collynzo17: 8:35am On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Basic problems with a potential Independence vote in Nigeria.

1.Who conducts the vote? INEC? (that has problems with conducting the regular vote? That is not independent?) The UN ? (which opens the door for foreign intervention?)

2.What is a region? Nigerians who talk about separation assume that it is still 1964....when we had four semi-autonomous regions. It isn't, thanks to state creation.....which has changed the dynamics well well....especially with regards to minority rights.

3.Most of the chaps calling for splitting Nigeria are usually from the big tribes. And many of them are so disdainful of minority rights that the idea of independence where majority tribes dominate minority tribes in the new countries......is not acceptable to minorities.(Infact, that is why we have states in the first place....because minorities were tired of being dominated by majorities in the old regions....and that is why we even had the Midwest region created in 63).

4.What currency will each of the countries use? Assuming say...Biafra splits up from Nigeria for example....would they still use the Naira? (When Biafra was formed in 67...they used the Nigerian Pound until Jack Gowon played a fast one on them in 68 and changed the colour of the Nigerian Pound).Would Abuja let them? And do you know the difficulties in creating a new currency? (That is one of the reasons why Scotland voted no).

5.Who controls the oil (That is why it took five years for Sudan to split up....arguments over control of oil....an argument they still have now). If there is a split...there is going to be some argument over compensation for missing oil money.

6.And there are issues over landlocked countries vs countries with access to the sea.

7.At the bolded....Nigeria is not united...so also is the UK. Wales, Northern Ireland , even Cornwall have their own issues...and Ireland split from the UK in 1922.

And I have more confidence in the parts of the UK surviving on their own than Nigeria....because you Nigerians are not interested in harnessing your human and natural resources for innovative development. You are not interested in creating new jobs, new industries etc....which all the parts of the UK do. You Nigerians are only interested in selling raw materials...oil especially...and sharing the money. And the only reason why you grumble about oil money is because you think that the other parts are cheating you of your fair share. You and your Hausa pals.

So, Nigerians...go home, stop arguing over tribe, religion, Sharia, and resource control. Stop waving the flag of Islamist fundamentalism. Stop your message of christian prosperity without hard work....and go home and invest in education, industry , defeating corruption, and justice for all under the law.....and when each and every state in Nigeria is self sustaining and can boast of industries and jobs galore...because that is why they were created...for development....then we can talk all day long about splitting.

Scotland has oil...but it also has a diversified industrial setup. You Nigerians want separation or unity because you all want to be like a rich man's trophy wife...spending her husband's money on baubles...and refusing to work ever. Well....better get working. This isn't paradise....it is planet Earth.
Absolute trash!
1. The UN is always involved in a referendum, any country that emerges from a referendun not sanctioned by the UN is not internationally recognized i.e somaliland etc
2&3. The South South region was artificially carved out to address the issue of minorities and from the look of things, they are happy with being seen as one region.
4. Biafran pound was used by Biafra for 2 years, I am not aware of any difficulty in creating a new currency, maybe you need to educate us on that.
5. Those who have oil on their land will control what belongs to them
6. Land locked countries exist all over the world and most are doing well. They can always import through the ports of neighbouring countries and pay the required duties.
7. Comparing the disunity in Nigeria with what is obtainable in the UK is quite laughable.
Bottomline: People must be allowed to choose what is right for them.
Your arrogant and long sermon cannot change that.

11 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by NaLaugh: 8:37am On Sep 19, 2014
melojames: Why do i feel it wasn't free and fair

Because you've come to perceive all elections in that manner.

All thanks to the nation called Naija smiley
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nihilist: 8:38am On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well, even if Scotland voted yes...the Queen of England would have still been their queen, the English pound would have still been their currency...and most Scots would still be speaking English(very few scots speak Scots Gaelic).

Anyway they lost for these main reasons

1.Economic....a lot of companies threatened to pull out of Scotland in the event of a yes vote...plus the oil in scotland will run out in a few decades.

2.The EU...if Scotland had voted yes...they would have found their road to the EU blocked by Spain (which faces seven separatist movements....the Basques and the Catalans two of them). Spain feared a yes vote could lead to the breakup of spain.

3.Scotland already has powers over much of its activities...so they do not really need independence.(They crucially had cultural independence...you can speak Scots Gaelic freely....sadly less than 5% of the population speak it).

Ethnic independence works...so long as you have your economic , cultural and big picture dominoes lined up perfectly.(And if they are not...it won't happen as Quebec found out when they tried to split from Canada.

Bank of England already said Scotland wouldn't have kept the pound. And RBS and co only threatened to move their registered address and not operations.

The people who voted No are disgraceful. This was a once in a lifetime chance to emerge from the shadow of their colonial masters that has lingered for the last thousand years....

I just hope that the great Yoruba nation gets such a chance in my lifetime. We must leave this ugly faulty contraption called Niggerarea

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 19, 2014
The Scots who're clamouring for segregation are only concerned about their alliance with the United States.

They would eventually end up confronting Putin and giving into the advances of US.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by seunmsg(m): 8:42am On Sep 19, 2014
ezeagu:

The Scottish independence movement has (or had) absolutely no resemblance to Nigeria's geopolitical landscape, to start with, Scotland is already its own country, that is in a union with the United Kingdom, they have their own parliament, capital, governance, and so on. Scotland is in a good deal with England and the UK already, whereas (most of) the component parts of Nigeria are actually not gaining anything from the Nigerian union. You see, you've based the benefits of staying in Nigeria on things that could/should/would happen unlike how Scotland has based it's unity with the UK with things that were already on ground. Do you think Scotland would have stayed in the UK if all it did was take its resources, tke away its independence (again Scotland is already an independent country), and bog it down with troubles that are not their own such as serious distant ethno-religious clashes/wars (like Boko Haram), polar-opposite political arrangements (a la Sharia law), bad governance, and tense ethno-religious shaped politics? No, they wouldn't.

If scotland was an absolutely independent country, their won't be any need to conduct the referendum. And please, make no mistake about it, the scots wanted to be free from the united kingdom but majority of them knew that the pragmatic decision to make was to vote NO based on current economic situation. I have no problem with a similar referendum being conducted in Nigeria to satisfy those clamouring for break up but personally, I think the call for Nigeria's break up is more emotional than rational. Despite all the imperfections of Nigeria, I belief we are still better off as one country. My opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by GuyFawkes: 8:43am On Sep 19, 2014
The existence of House of Lords contradicts the view of the UK as a democracy. Now the result is NO, I hope the whole UK stands up and demands a federal system that gives real power to their four nations while retaining common defence and foreign policy.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by destante(f): 8:44am On Sep 19, 2014
I saw this coming anyways.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nihilist: 8:45am On Sep 19, 2014
seunmsg:

If scotland was an absolutely independent country, their won't be any need to conduct the referendum. And please, make no mistake about it, the scots wanted to be free from the united kingdom but majority of them knew that the pragmatic decision to make was to vote NO based on current economic situation. I have no problem with a similar referendum being conducted in Nigeria to satisfy those clamouring for break up but personally, I think the call for Nigeria's break up is more emotional than rational. Despite all the imperfections of Nigeria, I belief we are still better off as one country. My opinion though.

Are we really?

Then let's get the Gaddem referendum to decide
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by destante(f): 8:46am On Sep 19, 2014
GuyFawkes: The existence of House of Lords contradicts the view of the UK as a democracy. Now the result is NO, I hope the whole UK stands up and demands a federal system that gives real power to their four nations while retaining common defence and foreign policy.
touché

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nihilist: 8:47am On Sep 19, 2014
GuyFawkes: The existence of House of Lords contradicts the view of the UK as a democracy. Now the result is NO, I hope the whole UK stands up and demands a federal system that gives real power to their four nations while retaining common defence and foreign policy.

Barman give this man a crate of his favourite brand.

I said exactly the same thing almost verbatim last night

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by GuyFawkes: 8:50am On Sep 19, 2014
Nihilist:

Bank of England already said Scotland wouldn't have kept the pound. And RBS and co only threatened to move their registered address and not operations.

The people who voted No are disgraceful. This was a once in a lifetime chance to emerge from the shadow of their colonial masters that has lingered for the last thousand years....

I just hope that the great Yoruba nation gets such a chance in my lifetime. We must leave this ugly faulty contraption called Niggerarea

Scotland were avid colonisers - even more than the English. Check out the histories of Africa, Canada, New Zealand, etc - the Scots were at the forefront of Britain's imperialism. In fact Scotland united with England 300 years ago when it's colony in Panama failed, causing the country to go bust. Don't forget also that the Commonwealth of former colonies is still going - they just had a lovely celebration and in fact countries that weren't former colonies are trying to join.
History is complex.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 19, 2014
Nihilist:

Are we really?

Then let's get the Gaddem referendum to decide
Oya go to Aso Rock and tell the President to hold a "Gaddem referendum" or else.
Stamp your feet harder we can't hear you! grin
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 19, 2014
Collynzo17:
Absolute trash!
1. The UN is always involved in a referendum, any country that emerges from a referendun not sacntioned by the UN is not internationally recognized i.e somaliland etc
2&3. The South South region was artificially carved out to address the issue of minorities and from the look of things, they re y with being seen as one region.
4. Biafran pound was used by Biafra for 2 years, I am not aware of any difficulty in creating a new currency, maybe you need to educate us on that.
5. Those who have oil on their land will control what belongs to them
6. Land locked countries exist all over the world and most are doing well. They can always import through the portsf hbgcountrie and the required duties.
7. Comparing the disunity in Nigeria with what is obtainable in the UK is quite laughable.
Bottomline: People must be allowed to choose what is right for them.
Your arrogant and long sermon cannot change that.
you shouldn't have bothered replying as his ignorance will always be steep. imagine that one quoting me asking if I can space to a soldier's face (wonder what that has got to do with anything)

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Collynzo17: 8:59am On Sep 19, 2014
careytommy:
you shouldn't have bothered replying as his ignorance will always be steep. imagine that one quoting me asking if I can space to a soldier's face (wonder what that has got to do with anything)
That one as his name implies is a kid, an overfed one.
The Scots were given an opportunity to freely choose what the want and he is here talking about Soldiers and guns. Yet he wants to compare the situation in Scotland to that of Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by GodMode: 9:04am On Sep 19, 2014
maxit2:

Dude it's the 21st century. By now you should be ashamed to mention the word TRIBE..

Check your map. You'd see that every region in the world that still addresses themselves as TRIBESMEN are the most underdeveloped and cursed-like people on earth.........

Just be Nigerian and proud. Furk that Oduduwa or Biafra BullCRrap. It's all bullcrrap.

It been the 21st century does not mean an ethnic culture should be erased.

4 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by TAKETWO: 9:04am On Sep 19, 2014
[quote author=henchamb]Stayed awake all night because i wanted Scottish independence but seems that the Scott voted in fear just becos of British threat to close down British firms in independent Scotland[/quote

Don't peddle misinformation on this thread. I don't know where you got the information that British firms threatened to close down their business in Scotland. What the businesses that have their operational headquarters in Scotland said was that they would move such operational base from Scotland to England. They did not at any point said that they would close down their business.The British government does not run the private companies in the U.K so it was purely the decision of these companies to make the pronouncement.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by feedthenation(m): 9:04am On Sep 19, 2014
Bad news for the so many 'illegal immigrants' who are praying for a yes vote.

It obvious that the votes will be a resounding no.

For now it is extremely difficult for Scotland to break away because the Commonwealth is too strong.

At least for now the seed of wanting their independence has be sown, I forsee in decades to come, their independence will surely happen.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nihilist: 9:05am On Sep 19, 2014
GuyFawkes:

Scotland were avid colonisers - even more than the English. Check out the histories of Africa, Canada, New Zealand, etc - the Scots were at the forefront of Britain's imperialism. In fact Scotland united with England 300 years ago when it's colony in Panama failed, causing the country to go bust. Don't forget also that the Commonwealth of former colonies is still going - they just had a lovely celebration and in fact countries that weren't former colonies are trying to join.
History is complex.

I'm not sure you got the gist of that statement.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nihilist: 9:08am On Sep 19, 2014
feedthenation: Bad news for the so many 'illegal immigrants' who are praying for a yes vote.

It obvious that the votes will be a resounding no.

For now it is extremely difficult for Scotland to break away because the Commonwealth is too strong.

At least for now the seed of wanting their independence has be sown, I forsee in decades to come, their independence will surely happen.
Except it wasn't a 'resounding No' was it?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Shortage Of Eggs In UK / Biden Administration Urges Judge To Block Texas Abortion Law / Chinese Air Force Sends Another 56 Warplanes Toward Taiwan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.