Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,767 members, 7,875,928 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:28 AM

Gay-friendly Mosque Opens In South Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gay-friendly Mosque Opens In South Africa (587 Views)

At least 65 dead in Makkah Grand Mosque crane crash (graphic Pics) / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African / US Opens Up On Why Nigeria Cancelled Military Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gay-friendly Mosque Opens In South Africa by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 20, 2014
Despite violent treats, there are fresh indication that a Open Mosque has being peacefully in Cape Town on Friday. The Open Mosque supports gay marriage, welcomes christian and women are treated equally to men.

The mosque which is presumed to be against the global background of rising Islamist militancy, was opened by Taj Hargey, a South African-born director of the Muslim Educational Centre of Oxford.

According to Taj, this mosues marks the beginning of a religious revolution.

"We are opening the mosque for open-minded people, not closed-minded people.In South Africa 20 years ago, there was a peaceful revolution changing from apartheid to democracy and we need to have a similar development in the area of religion,"

He says the mosque will help counter growing Islamic radicalism. Mr Hargey, who was born in Cape Town, said the mosque would welcome people from all genders, religions and sexual orientations.

In addition, Hargey said that women would be allowed to lad prayers and they can worship in the same room as the men.

According to reports, the first prayer in the new mosque was held peacefully with a handful of protesters claiming "they would stop this thing no matter what".

Hargey told reporters outside the mosque earlier that he had been subjected to physical and psychological threats since he announced his plans.

“There’s been threats about castrating me, beheading me, hanging me upside down. But South Africa has the most liberal constitution in the world — they cannot stop us opening today.”

Asked about his qualifications as a religious leader he said: “I have a PhD in Islamic studies from Oxford University, unlike my opponents who went to some donkey college in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia.”

http://www.whonaija.com/2014/09/gay-friendly-mosque-opens-in-south.html

Re: Gay-friendly Mosque Opens In South Africa by Ibrokane(m): 8:13am On Sep 20, 2014
I'm not surprised the world is coming to an end.... more so, he studied in the state of anti-islamist (oxford university)......

(1) (Reply)

How Did ISIS Get So Many Toyota Trucks? / Biafra - Made Shoes Hit The Internet . Would You Buy One? / Photos: Party Supporters Fight Over Jollof Rice In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.