Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,862 members, 7,972,995 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 03:30 AM

Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo (961 Views)

96-yr-old Woman Who Donated N1M To Buhari Receives First Lady Of Kebbi..photo / Photos Of Sokoto Residents On The Streets With Brooms, Shovels Over N1m Prize / State Govt Of Osun New Policies On Education, What's Your Opinion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by pijango(m): 6:29pm On Sep 20, 2014
It's no news that Nigerians have complained over the high cost of tuition fees for private universities,especially those owned by Churches.The founder of the Living Faith Church, Bishop David Oyedepo, has defended the tuition fees charged by schools owned by the church, describing the provision of quality education as an expensive venture. While addressing journalists on Friday in Ota, Ogun State, at a media chat organised in commemoration of his 60th birthday coming up on September 27, 2014.He said

“I’m sure we all agree that education is expensive. Education carries cost; nothing of
value is free. Our mission for years long, before we started any university or secondary school, was a bursary awarding church and we have not stopped doing that till tomorrow.

Our problem most of the time is priority; an average Nigerian can spend N1m on burial but to spend N200,000 on education (is a problem), because of wrong priority. On a yearly basis, we have N1.5trn that Nigerians spend to overseas universities, so people thrive on it. Nigerians spend N463bn a month on recharge cards, how much are they paying for schools fees? So it’s all a matter of priority. This is the largest market for telephone in the world. Now, to pay N500,000, some people have only one son, they have huge business and houses all over the places, they will never pay it.”

On why he never responds to controversial reports about him

“My understanding of opposition, persecution is simply someone’s opinion harshly expressed. Everybody has a right to his opinion. Today, millions follow after Christ but you will be surprised that when you get to Israel some people do not believe that Christ has come.
“People have rights to their opinions. I naturally don’t feel it’s necessary (to respond). The energy I would need to react, I can use it to make moves. I have enough to think about than start running after a man who says you are a fool.
“If he says you are a fool and you are behaving so, then he’s right. If you leave your job and start pursuing somebody who says you are a fool, he has already said so, your going around doesn’t change it. So why going around, why don’t you settle on your job and make moves?
“I’ve also come to understand that those who make news hardly watch them, they are so busy making news while others are busy watching.”
www.pijango..com/2014/09/oyedepo-defends-high-fees-charged-by.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by dopedealer(m): 6:32pm On Sep 20, 2014
Ole....say something else
Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 20, 2014
nigerians are also ready to give 10% of their salary to jet-flying pastors than to help the needy in the society.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by Degis(m): 7:02pm On Sep 20, 2014
Very aptly spoken. Those who makes news don't watch them
Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by MichaelAustin(m): 7:16pm On Sep 20, 2014
happy birthday 2u Sir
more grace
Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by Omen100(m): 7:19pm On Sep 20, 2014
I will be back, let me 1st get something 2 eat.
Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by nora544: 7:37pm On Sep 20, 2014
This man should keep his mouth.

Because he got his money from his poor followers and he build his University with the money of his poor followers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 20, 2014
nora544: This man should keep his mouth.

Because he got his money from his poor followers and he build his University with the money of his poor followers.

Don't mind that witch hunter. He just enjoys gibbering.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by Timothy3113(m): 8:18pm On Sep 20, 2014
I cant just imagine, all the man of God nowadays, there attitude cant be speak of. We have uni like bowen, covenant, bingham, SAo.etc. They are all owned by the church, funded by the church members. Special offering are being donated every sunday's in church by poor member's,but majority of the student there are outsiders. Church member's cant afford the fee's. Instead of the leader's to organise scholarship award, and programmes to sponsor the church member's, it is a no.
Biblical, am no one to judge them but with them acquiring wealth are they moving in God's path. When nicodemus went to Jesus ,Jesus told him to dispose all his wealth. Can those pastor's do like these.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by Xfactoria: 9:04pm On Sep 20, 2014
"Our problem most of the time is priority; an average Nigerian can spend N1m on burial but to spend N200,000 on education (is a problem), because of wrong priority. On a yearly basis, we have N1.5trn that Nigerians spend to overseas universities, so people thrive on it. Nigerians spend N463bn a month on recharge cards, how much are they paying for schools fees? So it’s all a matter of priority. This is the largest market for telephone in the world. Now, to pay N500,000, some people have only one son, they have huge business and houses all over the places, they will never pay it.”

So disappointing to hear a respected man of God utter this myopic statement!

Who are the average Nigerians that are worth more than N1m? Or have the means to mobilize N1m for whatever purpose?

Lets even exaggerate and say there are 100,000 people in every state and the FCT who are worth more than N1m, that makes the total of millionaires in Nigeria equal 3,700,000. Nigeria's population is conservatively 150 million, which makes 3,700,000 equal 0.25% of the population who are millionaires.

So when did 0.25% of a population become the average population? A man like Oyedepo opened his mouth "gadagba" and say an average Nigerian cannot pay school fees of N200,000 because they can't get their priority right? So these 0.25% now represents the average Nigerian?Can someone pls show the man of God some mind boggling statistics of poverty in Nigeria? Does he even know than more than 60% of the people live in abject poverty? Obviously the man of God has a warped view of the economic situations of Nigerians. No wonder the guy was buying jets here and there! Does he know how many businesses would have sprung up if their promoters can just mobilize as "little" as N1m and put into the business?

Well, that is what happens when people get too rich and comfortable. They forget quickly how hard it is for people down there. I remember how the son of a Senator could not believe I maintained myself with N3,500 per month while in the university (in 2004/2005) because he gets N10,000 per week and it was hardly enough for him.

He said education is not cheap. Yes, we agree but that statement is tale my moonlight and in fact bull-shit! When the missionaries that brought christianity to Nigeria brought free education and community health services with it as evangelical tools, was it cheap then? Those missionaries did not buy aeroplanes, cars, bicycles, chariots, horses and all but funded all their philanthropism from tithes and offerings from their parent churches in the West. If christianity cannot be for charity as christ commanded, it is then a business. Pastor Oyedepo is in church business.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by psalmizt(m): 9:21pm On Sep 20, 2014
Xfactoria: "Our problem most of the time is priority; an average Nigerian can spend N1m on burial but to spend N200,000 on education (is a problem), because of wrong priority. On a yearly basis, we have N1.5trn that Nigerians spend to overseas universities, so people thrive on it. Nigerians spend N463bn a month on recharge cards, how much are they paying for schools fees? So it’s all a matter of priority. This is the largest market for telephone in the world. Now, to pay N500,000, some people have only one son, they have huge business and houses all over the places, they will never pay it.”

Who are the average Nigerians that are worth more than N1m? Or have the means to mobilize N1m for whatever purpose?

Lets even exaggerate and say there are 100,000 people in every state and the FCT who are worth more than N1m, that makes the total of millionaires in Nigeria equal 3,700,000. Nigeria's population is conservatively 150 million, which makes 3,700,000 equal 0.25% of the population who are millionaires.

So when did 0.25% of a population become the average population? A man like Oyedepo opened his mouth "gadagba" and say an average Nigerian cannot pay school fees of N200,000 because they can't get their priority right? So these 0.25% now represents the average Nigerian?Can someone pls show the man of God some mind boggling statistics of poverty in Nigeria? Does he even know than more than 60% of the people live in abject poverty? Obviously the man of God has a warped view of the economic situations of Nigerians. No wonder the guy was buying jets here and there! Does he know how many businesses would have sprung up if their promoters can just mobilize as "little" as N1m and put into the business?

Well, that is what happens when people get too rich and comfortable. They forget quickly how hard it is for people down there. I remember how the son of a Senator could not believe I maintained myself with N3,500 per month while in the university (in 2004/2005) because he gets N10,000 per week and it was hardly enough for him.

He said education is not cheap. Yes, we agree but that statement is tale my moonlight and in fact bull-shit! When the missionaries that brought christianity to Nigeria brought free education and community health services with it as evangelical tools, was it cheap then? Those missionaries did not buy aeroplanes, cars, bicycles, chariots, horses and all but funded all their philanthropism from tithes and offerings from their parent churches in the West. If christianity cannot be for charity as christ commanded, it is then a business. Pastor Oyedepo is in church business.

Bless your soul mate....
Re: Nigerians Are Ready To Spend N1M on Burial But Not On Education" -oyedepo by nora544: 10:02pm On Sep 20, 2014
Xfactoria: "Our problem most of the time is priority; an average Nigerian can spend N1m on burial but to spend N200,000 on education (is a problem), because of wrong priority. On a yearly basis, we have N1.5trn that Nigerians spend to overseas universities, so people thrive on it. Nigerians spend N463bn a month on recharge cards, how much are they paying for schools fees? So it’s all a matter of priority. This is the largest market for telephone in the world. Now, to pay N500,000, some people have only one son, they have huge business and houses all over the places, they will never pay it.”

You are so right.

All this rich Pastors have lost the feeling that a normal nigerian didnot has the money to send their kids to the privat University.

I read in an newspaper last year that mumy adeboye speak about that the people didnot give so much tithe the last year and that they need it for the spreading the gospel.

(1) (Reply)

EBOLA: The World Look Unto Nigeria For Solution. / More Photos From The Fire Outbreak In Nkpor Market / Resignation Of Ministers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.