Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,201 members, 7,910,274 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 12:00 AM

Mutual Funds - Investment (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Mutual Funds (995173 Views)

Top 10 Mutual Fund Managers In Nigeria / Mutual Funds In Nigeria: Please Share Your Experience / Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (328) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 10:48am On Nov 30, 2015
Today is the last day of November. as we step into the last month of the year here is something to take note of,

Yields on most funds are always on the down side around this time, most analyst attribute this to the number of people exiting the funds at this time in other to meet up with festive seasons expenditure(most people use mutual funds as a means of savings rather than investment), this number of people are usually significant that they can mount pressure on the market leading to fall in yields, this doesn't happen only to mutual funds in also affects the stock market.
judging that we have had a not too good year I see the likely hood of this being more pronounced accompanied with the new monetary adjustment.

my opinion.
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 1:22pm On Nov 30, 2015
ernie4life:
Today is the last day of November. as we step into the last month of the year here is something to take note of,

Yields on most funds are always on the down side around this time, most analyst attribute this to the number of people exiting the funds at this time in other to meet up with festive seasons expenditure(most people use mutual funds as a means of savings rather than investment), this number of people are usually significant that they can mount pressure on the market leading to fall in yields, this doesn't happen only to mutual funds in also affects the stock market.
judging that we have had a not too good year I see the likely hood of this being more pronounced accompanied with the new monetary adjustment.

my opinion.

Hmmm interesting points raised...IMO this is the best year since I have been doing mutual funds (started 2012)...I saw a couple of 15%, a few 14% and more 13% coupled with inflation in single digits.
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 4:35am On Dec 01, 2015
Yea in terms of yield you are right, 
Carpenter have you ever wondered why we saw such high yields this year compared to other years? 
What happened this year that has not happened in a while?
MPR!
Late last year MPR was adjusted from 12% which it has been in quite a long time to 13% ‎
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 6:12am On Dec 01, 2015
ernie4life:
Carpenter have you ever wondered why we saw such high yields this year compared to other years? 
MPR!
Late last year MPR was adjusted from 12% which it has been in quite a long time to 13% ‎

Funny you mentioned that, I was thinking about the same thing yesterday. Maybe the govt was spending a lot and it was a way of mopping up liquidity cos inflation was the lowest in naija for a long time around the same time.
Re: Mutual Funds by taiwoliu(m): 11:21am On Dec 01, 2015
carpenter:

Funny you mentioned that, I was thinking about the same thing yesterday. Maybe the govt was spending a lot and it was a way of mopping up liquidity cos inflation was the lowest in naija for a long time around the same time.
if, i understand the conversation well, the more liquidity in circulation, the higher the inflation?
if that be the case, why can't our government go on spending-fast (awe owo)? cheesy
Re: Mutual Funds by spinoff: 1:05pm On Dec 01, 2015
feelamong:

I saw this coming!!

Since the Mutual funds are all invested in FGN Bonds and TBills; with the drop in the rates and Yields...it was only a matter of time!

Clearly the days of high yields in financial investments is over!

make everyone go invest their money for real business or farms! or be ready to receive only 3% returns p.a tongue grin
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2015
taiwoliu:
if, i understand the conversation well, the more liquidity in circulation, the higher the inflation?
if that be the case, why can't our government go on spending-fast (awe owo)? cheesy

Ha! Can u handle it?
Re: Mutual Funds by ogawisdom(m): 7:13am On Dec 02, 2015
carpenter:

Hmmm interesting points raised...IMO this is the best year since I have been doing mutual funds (started 2012)...I saw a couple of 15%, a few 14% and more 13% coupled with inflation in single digits.

Which mutual fund do u use pls, I Hope to try my hand on this next yr
Re: Mutual Funds by ogawisdom(m): 7:14am On Dec 02, 2015
ernie4life:
MPR!

Pls which mutual fund do u use and would advice
Re: Mutual Funds by taiwoliu(m): 8:00am On Dec 02, 2015
carpenter:

Ha! Can u handle it?
is it not for the greater good? as long as government informs investing public of the intention and is very transparent in its dealings, i dont think i'll complain. #GhanaByBus grin grin grin

But on a serious note, aside the counter-liquidity vehicles (tbills nd co), aren't there other forms the government can tackle inflation?

I also need someone to clarify the term 'private-public partnership (PPP)'. Been reading so many confusing articles on it.

cc Ernie
Feelamong

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by 9janinja(m): 7:45am On Dec 03, 2015
carpenter:

I don't know of any online business bro, am sure there will be a few threads on nairaland with people familiar with such.

Although, you may want to think of this as partly online too, I have not been to any of the mutual fund offices before, I send them money via internet banking, I get my redemption through the same mode, I never see what they sell...online business too if you ask me grin
. ...........share some of d companies pls . Thanks
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 8:37am On Dec 07, 2015
taiwoliu:
is it not for the greater good? as long as government informs investing public of the intention and is very transparent in its dealings, i dont think i'll complain. #GhanaByBus grin grin grin

But on a serious note, aside the counter-liquidity vehicles (tbills nd co), aren't there other forms the government can tackle inflation?

I also need someone to clarify the term 'private-public partnership (PPP)'. Been reading so many confusing articles on it.

cc Ernie
Feelamong

Public-Private Partnerships
A business relationship between a private-sector company and a government agency for the purpose of completing a project that will serve the public. Public-private partnerships can be used to finance, build and operate projects such as public transportation networks, parks and convention centres. Financing a project through a public-private partnership can allow a project to be completed sooner or make it a possibility in the first place. Simply put its just an agreement between the government and private company(ies) to carry out a project that will be for the better good of the public.
The benefit of this is that there is more funding for whatever the project may be.
It also creates room for introducing private sector technology and innovation in providing better public services through improved operational efficiency.
PPP also creates transparency in the execution of projects.
It also has its short comings like the cost could be higher than what it would have been if the government alone handles the project.
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 7:56am On Dec 10, 2015
For those in the Diaspora seeking investments back home.

https://www.nairaland.com/2791408/meristem-diaspora-trust
Re: Mutual Funds by taiwoliu(m): 7:58am On Dec 10, 2015
ernie4life:

Public-Private Partnerships
A business relationship between a private-sector company and a government agency for the purpose of completing a project that will serve the public. Public-private partnerships can be used to finance, build and operate projects such as public transportation networks, parks and convention centres. Financing a project through a public-private partnership can allow a project to be completed sooner or make it a possibility in the first place. Simply put its just an agreement between the government and private company(ies) to carry out a project that will be for the better good of the public.
The benefit of this is that there is more funding for whatever the project may be.
It also creates room for introducing private sector technology and innovation in providing better public services through improved operational efficiency.
PPP also creates transparency in the execution of projects.
It also has its short comings like the cost could be higher than what it would have been if the government alone handles the project.

Thank you bro..... really appreciate your time and simple explanation.
Re: Mutual Funds by elpiro: 11:34am On Dec 12, 2015
@ all,

Having read about index funds, are there index funds available for one to invest in? what are the requirements?
Paitently Awaiting response from the ogas
Re: Mutual Funds by wisemanj(m): 3:24pm On Dec 14, 2015
carpenter:
Folks,

I just made my 1st withdrawal from FBN Capital MMF and I got my money within 3 business days. It wasn't all a smooth ride due to no fault of theirs though. The Registrar sent back my form for irregular signature twice and we had to use alternative ways to get it resolved. They asked if I had shares with their registrar which is First Registrars and they just just used my signature there. One of the reasons why it pays to do business with the same family.

Disclosure: I bank with FBN, have shares in FBN Holdings, I use FBNCapital for some investments
hi please if I invest hundred thousand what will be the dividence in 3month
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 5:03pm On Dec 14, 2015
elpiro:
@ all,

Having read about index funds, are there index funds available for one to invest in? what are the requirements?
Paitently Awaiting response from the ogas

Chief,

Please read from page 1 to 20. You will be able to take a decision after that..enjoy
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 5:10pm On Dec 14, 2015
wisemanj:
hi please if I invest hundred thousand what will be the dividence in 3month

At a conservative rate of 10% per annum averagely, you will get 2500 naira.

Average rate: 10
Number of months in a year: 12
Amount: 100,000
months to calculate: 3

Dividend = {[(Average Rate/12)*months to calculate]%/100%}*amount invested

Dividend = {[(10/12)*3]%/100%}*100,000 = 2,500

Without a doubt the rates may vary from month to month but your final figure will be about that based on the present economic climate.
A month ago, I would have used 12% as the average rate.
Re: Mutual Funds by taiwoliu(m): 7:49pm On Dec 14, 2015
carpenter:

At a conservative rate of 10% per annum averagely, you will get 2500 naira.

Average rate: 10
Number of months in a year: 12
Amount: 100,000
months to calculate: 3

Dividend = {[(Average Rate/12)*months to calculate]%/100%}*amount invested

Dividend = {[(10/12)*3]%/100%}*100,000 = 2,500

Without a doubt the rates may vary from month to month but your final figure will be about that based on the present economic climate.
A month ago, I would have used 12% as the average rate.

chai..... D interests Are dancing konko below with rushing..... Didn't knw it as gotten ds bad. Chai
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 8:06pm On Dec 14, 2015
I bought dollars today at 263 naira/1$ from the local marketing for something urgent because my bank said the don't have Fx at this rate yields may even perform less than 10%.
Re: Mutual Funds by yak(m): 9:06pm On Dec 14, 2015
I still believe it's beta than leaving d money in a savings account
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 11:56pm On Dec 14, 2015
yak:
I still believe it's beta than leaving d money in a savings account

definitely it will, savings account is a loss even you put into calculation the inflation effect
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 7:17am On Dec 15, 2015
ernie4life:

definitely it will, savings account is a loss even you put into calculation the inflation effect

hahahahah! Spot on!

Thats like comparing sleep and death my brother.

for MMF you may be lucky to get the value of MPR which is 11% at the moment but a savings account is a minimum of 30% of MPR....banks go for the minimum. if you are extremely connected, you get 35-40% of MPR.
Re: Mutual Funds by kaze4blues(m): 8:43pm On Dec 15, 2015
hi all,
I am currently in my youth service. I started in November.
I intend to invest my nysc monthly allowance into the money market fund. I opened an account with uba for the allowance.

However, I am in doubt because of the present downturns in the sector.

I need expert advise on whether I should go ahead with the investment or I should retain the money in the savings account.

suggestions of any other investment opportunities that will best suit me will also be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 7:14am On Dec 16, 2015
kaze4blues:
hi all,
I am currently in my youth service. I started in November.
I intend to invest my nysc monthly allowance into the money market fund. I opened an account with uba for the allowance.

However, I am in doubt because of the present downturns in the sector.

I need expert advise on whether I should go ahead with the investment or I should retain the money in the savings account.

suggestions of any other investment opportunities that will best suit me will also be appreciated.

Thanks

Kaze,

Both have their pros and cons

1. Accessibility and Flexibility

Savings account is easily accessible and you can get your money as long as the bank is open, instantly as far as ATMs and POS are concerned. With a Money Market Fund (MMF), if you need to have your money, you need to wait for 1-3 business days depending on the company you choose. There is also a holding period of (1-3months depending on the fund).

2. Profitability

Savings account is at best 1/3 of what you will get if you put your money in MMF. MMFs revolve around something called MPR (you will have to do some work...read from page 1-20 on this thread, this is intentional) which is presently 11% at the moment. So for example if MPR is maintained at 11% for a whole year, the minimum stipulated by the CBN that a bank can give its’ customers as interest is 30% of MPR. If you catch my drift, you may be thinking minimum right, that means it can be more... Don't kid yourself...they will most likely give you the minimum which is 3.3% on your money for a year....so that’s like 0.275% per month. So you need to ask yourself why you would want to make 3.3% in a year as against 11% (both rates can go up and down but are directly proportional....one goes up, the other goes up, one goes down the other goes down).

3. Personality

The kind of person you are and your needs will determine how you intend to play and the balance between the two.

The idea of this post is to give you just enough information to be interested enough to dig deeper into the other pages, this is not in any way prescriptive, just descriptive. We all have different values and needs…All the best on your journey.

Please also note that I have used "Money Market Fund< in places where I should have just used Funds (there are quite a number of them),...again when you read the rest, you will get my point.
Re: Mutual Funds by taiwoliu(m): 12:13pm On Dec 16, 2015
carpenter:

Kaze,

Savings account is easily accessible and you can get your money as long as the bank is open, instantly as far as ATMs and POS are concerned. With a Money Market Fund (MMF), if you need to have your money, you need to wait for 1-3 business days depending on the company you choose. There is also a holding period of (1-3months depending on the fund).

2. Profitability

Savings account is at best 1/3 of what you will get if you put your money in MMF. MMFs revolve around something called MPR (you will have to do some work...read from page 1-20 on this thread, this is intentional) which is presently 11% at the moment. So for example if MPR is maintained at 11% for a whole year, the minimum stipulated by the CBN that a bank can give its’ customers as interest is 30% of MPR. If you catch my drift, you may be thinking minimum right, that means it can be more... Don't kid yourself...they will most likely give you the minimum which is 3.3% on your money for a year....so that’s like 0.275% per month. So you need to ask yourself why you would want to make 3.3% in a year as against 11% (both rates can go up and down but are directly proportional....one goes up, the other goes up, one goes down the other goes down).

3. Personality

The kind of person you are and your needs will determine how you intend to play and the balance between the two.

The idea of this post is to give you just enough information to be interested enough to dig deeper into the other pages, this is not in any way prescriptive, just descriptive. We all have different values and needs…All the best on your journey.

Please also note that I have used "Money Market Fund< in places where I should have just used Funds (there are quite a number of them),...again when you read the rest, you will get my point.
God no go mistakenly bless you, He go do am Intentionally.... You and a host of others here are a blessing to the coming generation of investors and enterpreneurs.

a quick question tho; a 'real' investment offering 3% monthly in interest with secured capital versus MMF? will you say 3% interest on investment is a good bargain?

cc - Ernie4life and other ogas
Re: Mutual Funds by kaze4blues(m): 12:43pm On Dec 16, 2015
carpenter:

Kaze,

2. Profitability

3. Personality

thanks for the response
Re: Mutual Funds by Ibenuel: 1:22pm On Dec 16, 2015
I know of an investment platform that pays 15% every 2 months. Investment starts from #5k
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 1:55pm On Dec 16, 2015
taiwoliu:
God no go mistakenly bless you, He go do am Intentionally.... You and a host of others here are a blessing to the coming generation of investors and enterpreneurs.

a quick question tho; a 'real' investment offering 3% monthly in interest with secured capital versus MMF? will you say 3% interest on investment is a good bargain?

cc - Ernie4life and other ogas

it depends on the rate, if it's 3% annual but prorated to one month then it's not good, but if it's 3% ROI net one month then it's a fair deal because it simply means 36% per annum
Re: Mutual Funds by taiwoliu(m): 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2015
ernie4life:

it depends on the rate, if it's 3% annual but prorated to one month then it's not good, but if it's 3% ROI net one month then it's a fair deal because it simply means 36% per annum
hmmm..... i needed a second opinion ni bro, appreciate your explanation and time
Re: Mutual Funds by ednut1(m): 3:29pm On Dec 16, 2015
It is only a matter of time that Tbill rates would rise as govt has to fund d budget with borrowings. Beware of Wonder banks and ponzi schemes

2 Likes

Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 5:37pm On Dec 16, 2015
ednut1:
It is only a matter of time that Tbill rates would rise as govt has to fund d budget with borrowings. Beware of Wonder banks and ponzi schemes

Just to add to the above.

When someone offers you a mouth watering deal here, check their previous posts...chances are that the account is new and the individual has been spewing the same shit everywhere.

That been said, there are businesses that can make you 100% on your money in a month but may not be sustainable each month. There is no limit to how much you can make in reality. A typical example is buying and selling...and you can be Dasuki's cousin and make 100000% for helping him polish his shoes. lol

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (328) (Reply)

MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread / Treasury Bills In Nigeria

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.