Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,790 members, 7,882,755 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 01:24 PM

Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God (1971 Views)

Difference Between Going To Church And Worshipping God / The Catholic Easter Vigil Mass "Exsultet": Worshipping God or Satan? / Picture Of A Woman Worshipping God Without Hands And Legs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 9:49am On Sep 21, 2014
Good morning Nairalanders, So I've been wondering lately, why is it that I barely have interest in the things of God I.e worshipping God/living a true Christian life, could there be something behind this It all started after I graduated from high school, a Seminary school precisely, I came to discover that I have little or no interest in the things of God. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not an atheist, I strongly believe in the existence of God but I don't pick interest in church activities. As I'm writing now, everybody at home is out for church and I'm still in bed while I'm the only person that attended a Seminary school in the family.

Moreover, I attribute the whole of this 'non-interest' to the manner I was trained in school. They took this whole 'church' thing so darn serious that we worship at least four times daily and then like five times on Sundays and woe to you if you dare miss any service. The training there was very high handed that I started to think I was living in bondage hoping to be set free after six years.
Furthermore, The way they also took tithing there was so strict that you're not graduating from the school if you didn't pay up to an expected amount.

Fast forward to six years, I graduated and entered college, I felt the fresh air of freedom, since then i lost interest in attending church services and some of these churches too don't seem to be helping issues the way they preach the gospel, they seem to focus more on giving in church at the expense of salvation sad

Conclusively, I don't know if there's any other person out there that can relate to this and also if you've gat solutions to this, feel free to drop it, you might be helping a brother. Thanks! In advance. Your criticisms are always welcome though smiley
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 21, 2014
It doesnt make sense to you or what?
valmunich:
With the kinda training I was given, No!
then, think for yourself, dont let anybody think for you, be curious, ask questions and find the facts and evidence, your life is yours.
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 9:58am On Sep 21, 2014
Peterken05: It doesnt make sense to you or what?
With the kinda training I was given, No!
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by Liveair: 10:01am On Sep 21, 2014
Don't worry OP, its just the first step. Religion uses indoctrination and fear to instill adherence - that's all it has.

Next step is to start questioning all the crap you were thought in Sunday School.

After that, you'll get to question the Infallibility of God.

Finally, you'll understand why science doesn't even agree with the existence of any God.
At that point - welcome to ENLIGHTENMENT and AGE of REASON!

8 Likes

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by kevoh(m): 10:03am On Sep 21, 2014
Tithing in a Seminary? shocked Please, what Seminary is that?

To the main topic, sorry I have no solutions. Any logical response I give you will be because I am more inclined to atheism. I was also a seminarian by the way. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by brightko: 10:07am On Sep 21, 2014
There is vacancy in my village's shrine, and i think you fit well

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 10:12am On Sep 21, 2014
kevoh: Tithing in a Seminary? shocked Please, what Seminary is that?

To the main topic, sorry I have no solutions. Any logical response I give you will be because I am more inclined to atheism. I was also a seminarian by the way. Cheers!
Yea, the Tithing was very serious, from the little 'pocket money' you were given and you serious about being an atheist?
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 10:14am On Sep 21, 2014
brightko: There is vacancy in my village's shrine, and i think you fit well
Lol... How much do they pay? grin
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 10:17am On Sep 21, 2014
Liveair: Don't worry OP, its just the first step. Religion uses indoctrination and fear to instill adherence - that's all it has.

Next step is to start questioning all the crap you were thought in Sunday School.

Finally, you'll understand why science doesn't even agree with the existence of any God.

So you're tryna opine that this is a particular stage in life cos I don't see myself getting out of it. I do question the existence of God sometimes though smiley
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by Liveair: 10:24am On Sep 21, 2014
valmunich:
So you're tryna opine that this is a particular stage in life cos I don't see myself getting out of it. I do question the existence of God sometimes though smiley

Very much so, especially if you are intelligent as I suppose.

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by simplex2: 10:31am On Sep 21, 2014
Its a phase to the path of self-realization. I was at that phase sometime ago; I've come to realize the truth now.

Proud Agnostic.

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 10:31am On Sep 21, 2014
Liveair:

Very much so, especially if you are intelligent as I suppose.
Ok then... Thanks for contributing

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 10:34am On Sep 21, 2014
simplex2: Its a phase to the path of self-realization. I was at that phase sometime ago; I've come to realize the truth now.

Proud Agnostic.
Sorry I'm confused, the truth here, do you mean you now believe in the non-existence or the existence of God?
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by kevoh(m): 10:35am On Sep 21, 2014
valmunich:
Yea, the Tithing was very serious, from the little 'pocket money' you were given and you serious about being an atheist?
Yeah, I'm serious. Once mentioned it at my workplace and found out there was an increase in negative attitude towards me by my colleagues. Trust Nigerians na tongue I've gone back to faking being a christian before someone sets me up at work or one wicked Oga decides to omit my name from possible foreign staff training all in the name of religion. COMMON SENSE and LOGIC is necessary when it comes to where man dey chop. wink .

You still haven't mentioned the name of the Seminary by the way.
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 10:40am On Sep 21, 2014
kevoh:
Yeah, I'm serious. Once mentioned it at my workplace and found out there was an increase in negative attitude towards me by my colleagues. Trust Nigerians na tongue I've gone back to faking being a christian before someone sets me up at work or one wicked Oga decides to omit my name from possible foreign staff training all in the name of religion. COMMON SENSE and LOGIC is necessary when it comes to where man dey chop. wink .

You still haven't mentioned the name of the Seminary by the way.
Wow.. It's an Anglican Seminary though. I don't wanna mention the name for some reasons smiley So please, I really wanna know, what informs your non-belief in God's existence??
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by gatiano(m): 10:50am On Sep 21, 2014
i would say, that is because your brains are wide opened and at alert, but that brain is not getting the truth. i was like that too, until i got struck by the truth, and the reality of GOD, the history and knowledge of my ancestors and the knowledge of the devil.
most of all this pastors and preachers don't even know the meaning of the bible or quran, how much less teaching another people. most don't even understand that the bible and the quran has been corrupted, and if they do know, they don't care.

i was so surprise to read that you do worshipping 4 to 5 times a day, it is only muslims i thought pray 5 times a day, and there is a very good reason for that. and it is a must to pray more than 3 times a day christians or muslims. and infact, christian should learn or start the habit of cleaning up themselves before prayers. why? the actions any part of your uncovered body will surely testify against you if you don't wash or clean up and also cover up (women) all part of your beautiful places while you pray.

so brother it is really nice to have a quiet time with your creator. he is living and he is a MAN like you. He sees you and hears your thoughts. every word you speak comes from thoughts and then image before you even think of altering a word. thus Jesus said in

Matthew 6:8 - Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
that is before the Lord's prayer.

and you may wonder whaaaaaaaat! your thoughts has speed, it is valued at 24 billion miles per second. your brains only have 14 billion cells.

valmunich: Good morning Nairalanders, So I've been wondering lately, why is it I barely have interest in the things of God I.e worshipping God/living a true Christian life, could there be something behind this It all started after I graduated from high school, a Seminary school precisely, I came to discover that I have little or no interest in the things of God. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not an atheist, I strongly believe in the existence of God but I don't pick interest in church activities. As I'm writing now, everybody at home is out for church and I'm still in bed while I'm the only person that attended a Seminary school in the family.

Moreover, I attribute the whole of this 'non-interest' to the manner I was trained in school. They took this whole 'church' thing so darn serious that we worship at least four times daily and then like five times on Sundays and woe to you if you dare miss any service. The training there was very high handed that I started to think I was living in bondage hoping to be set free after six years.
Furthermore, The way they also took tithing there was so strict that you're not graduating from the school if you didn't pay up to an expected amount.

Fast forward to six years, I graduated and entered college, I felt the fresh air of freedom, since then i lost interest in attending church services and some of these churches too don't seem to be helping issues the way they preach the gospel, they seem to focus more on giving in church at the expense of salvation sad

Conclusively, I don't know if there's any other person out there that can relate to this and also if you've gat solutions to this, feel free to drop it, you might be helping a brother. Thanks! In advance. Your criticisms are always welcome though smiley

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by kevoh(m): 10:57am On Sep 21, 2014
valmunich:
Wow.. It's an Anglican Seminary though. I don't wanna mention the name for some reasons smiley So please, I really wanna know, what informs your non-belief in God's existence??
Anglican Seminary. Ok. That's actually what I needed, just didn't want to make it be an issue of denomination.

So please, I really wanna know, what informs your non-belief in God's existence??
This is what I was trying to avoid in my first post on this thread, I would not like my response to be an influence to whatever decision you make. You are already on the path of self realisation, you need to discover the truth of God's existence yourself.

And if you decide to remain a religious person (Christian), please let James 1:27 and Mark 12:31 be your focus.
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 11:06am On Sep 21, 2014
gatiano: i would say, that is because your brains are wide opened and at alert, but that brain is not getting the truth. i was like that too, until i got struck by the truth, and the reality of GOD, the history and knowledge of my ancestors and the knowledge of the devil.
most of all this pastors and preachers don't even know the meaning of the bible or quran, how much less teaching another people. most don't even understand that the bible and the quran has been corrupted, and if they do know, they don't care.

i was so surprise to read that you do worshipping 4 to 5 times a day, it is only muslims i thought pray 5 times a day, and there is a very good reason for that. and it is a must to pray more than 3 times a day christians or muslims. and infact, christian should learn or start the habit of cleaning up themselves before prayers. why? the actions any part of your uncovered body will surely testify against you if you don't wash or clean up and also cover up (women) all part of your beautiful places while you pray.

so brother it is really nice to have a quiet time with your creator. he is living and he is a MAN like you. He sees you and hears your thoughts. every word you speak comes from thoughts and then image before you even think of altering a word. thus Jesus said in

Matthew 6:8 - Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
that is before the Lord's prayer.

and you may wonder whaaaaaaaat! your thoughts has speed, it is valued at 24 billion miles per second. your brains only have 14 billion cells.

Thanks, i really like your write up, the whole issue is just cos the kinda training I received, I just hope to change soon and also you wrote nothing concerning the Tithing.
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by brightko: 11:10am On Sep 21, 2014
U go chop fowl and goats tire
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 11:10am On Sep 21, 2014
kevoh:
Anglican Seminary. Ok. That's actually what I needed, just didn't want to make it be an issue of denomination.

This is what I was trying to avoid in my first post on this thread, I would not like my response to be an influence to whatever decision you make. You are already on the path of self realisation, you need to discover the truth of God's existence yourself.

And if you decide to remain a religious person (Christian), please let James 1:27 and Mark 12:31 be your focus.
Okay, thanks a bunch
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by Kay17: 11:18am On Sep 21, 2014
valmunich: Good morning Nairalanders, So I've been wondering lately, why is it that I barely have interest in the things of God I.e worshipping God/living a true Christian life, could there be something behind this It all started after I graduated from high school, a Seminary school precisely, I came to discover that I have little or no interest in the things of God. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not an atheist, I strongly believe in the existence of God but I don't pick interest in church activities. As I'm writing now, everybody at home is out for church and I'm still in bed while I'm the only person that attended a Seminary school in the family.

Over ritualization.
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by gatiano(m): 11:29am On Sep 21, 2014
as regard to tithes, pastoring or preaching is not a job as most have taken to be, it is rather a duty. and preaching salvation to people is not for GOD, it is for one's soul and self. what can we do for GOD? nothing! GOD is ever capable of getting his affairs done without anybody's help.

tithing is simply helping the poor, not all is rich or wealthy, the rich and wealthy are expected to give a little time, not just money to elevating and civilizing the poor and the uncivilized.

there are two kinds of poor, those poor that won't ask and the disabled. we are to give a little of what GOD gives us to them, not to the church, however as capable as you can, you may give to the church, so the church can support the poor or the wanting. that is not the case in any religious institution today, they are mostly all part of the goverment now.

in nigeria, we have this thing called remembrance of the dead loved ones, the cooking or making of the beans cake or the giving out of clothes is a form of tithes to me.

valmunich: Good morning Nairalanders, So I've been wondering lately, why is it that I barely have interest in the things of God I.e worshipping God/living a true Christian life, could there be something behind this It all started after I graduated from high school, a Seminary school precisely, I came to discover that I have little or no interest in the things of God. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not an atheist, I strongly believe in the existence of God but I don't pick interest in church activities. As I'm writing now, everybody at home is out for church and I'm still in bed while I'm the only person that attended a Seminary school in the family.

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by simplex2: 11:41am On Sep 21, 2014
valmunich:
Sorry I'm confused, the truth here, do you mean you now believe in the non-existence or the existence of God?

I've now realized that religion is man-made way of explaining his understanding of God. The concept of God is something too complex for human mind to comprehend. As an agnostic, I don't border reasoning along the religious or atheist view of God's (in)existence.

If there's a God; its either he doesn't want us to know him, or we're knowing him the wrong way. The bible, quoran, torah or whatever religious book out there that claims to be holy is man-made and full of errors.

Free your mind from the bondage of religion. Be good and do good. If there's a god out there, he'll reward you, if there's no god, you'll have the satisfaction of having led an upright life.

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 11:51am On Sep 21, 2014
gatiano: as regard to tithes, pastoring or preaching is not a job as most have taken to be, it is rather a duty. and preaching salvation to people is not for GOD, it is for one's soul and self. what can we do for GOD? nothing! GOD is ever capable of getting his affairs done without anybody's help.

tithing is simply helping the poor, not all is rich or wealthy, the rich and wealthy are expected to give a little time, not just money to elevating and civilizing the poor and the uncivilized.

there are two kinds of poor, those poor that won't ask and the disabled. we are to give a little of what GOD gives us to them, not to the church, however as capable as you can, you may give to the church, so the church can support the poor or the wanting. that is not the case in any religious institution today, they are mostly all part of the goverment now.

in nigeria, we have this thing called remembrance of the dead loved ones, the cooking or making of the beans cake or the giving out of clothes is a form of tithes to me.

Okay.. Tithing I was made to understand is a freewill offering and not something one should be forced to do, but then we were forced to pay this and certain amount was outlined for one to attain and failure to adhere is tantamount to your graduation, imagine the level. And also in most churches contemporarily, before you're allowed to see the pastor, you must present your tithe card first for assessment and if your tithe doesn't match the expectation, you'll not be allowed in. Most of these things is what I look at and doubt the credibility of these new generation churches. Sometimes I'm even tempted to generalize this menace though most churches might not be guilty of it. Consequently, finding an outstanding church that still Maintains the pure doctrine of Christ becomes a problem
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 11:58am On Sep 21, 2014
simplex2:

I've now realized that religion is man-made way of explaining his understanding of God. The concept of God is something too complex for human mind to comprehend. As an agnostic, I don't border reasoning along the religious or atheist view of God's (in)existence.

If there's a God; its either he doesn't want us to know him, or we're knowing him the wrong way. The bible, quoran, torah or whatever religious book out there that claims to be holy is man-made and full of errors.

Free your mind from the bondage of religion. Be good and do good. If there's a god out there, he'll reward you, if there's no god, you'll have the satisfaction of having led an upright life.
So either way, I'm tempted to conclude you're sitting on the fence. Well I like your line of thought though especially the last that one should do good and if there's a God, he/she will be rewarded... I appreciate your contribution
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 21, 2014
It's only a matter of time bro, before disbelief will set in.
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by gatiano(m): 12:01pm On Sep 21, 2014
xaxaxaxaxaxa, that is extortion,

nobody should be force to pay tithe, it must be free will. and to those pastors that collect toll or gate fees before been seen, put your ears down on the news, they will pay it all back in 10 folds. the news will be like a movie. enjoy it.

Oyedepo said that some people buried their dead for over 1 million, why can't they spend that on their childrens' education? i'm like anybody can spend his money however he wishes, and education itself should be free! expecially those churches controlled school, and parents would be willing to contribute whatever they can to the growth of their own children.

valmunich:
Okay.. Tithing I was made to understand is a freewill offering and not something one should be forced to do, but then we were forced to pay this and certain amount was outlined for one to attain and failure to adhere is tantamount to your graduation, imagine the level. And also in most churches contemporarily, before you're allowed to see the pastor, you must present your tithe card first for assessment and if your tithe doesn't match the expectation, you'll not be allowed in. Most of these things is what I look at and doubt the credibility of these new generation churches. Sometimes I'm even tempted to generalize this menace though most churches might not be guilty of it. Consequently, finding an outstanding church that still Maintains the pure doctrine of Christ becomes a problem
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by Oduduwaboy(m): 12:22pm On Sep 21, 2014
Liveair: Don't worry OP, its just the first step. Religion uses indoctrination and fear to instill adherence - that's all it has.

Bravo. Nothing to add to this masterpiece. OP this is all you need to hear right now.

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by franklytrue(m): 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2014
The mind is the battlefield. There is the crest and the trough periods in the life of a man. You may be at the trough period now -worship feels stale, God seems far away but don't give up on God. He won't give up on you. The Truth shall prevail in the end and Jesus is the truth.

Please read this book, The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. This is part of the preface:

PREFACE

I HAVE no intention of explaining how the correspondence which I now offer to the public fell into my hands. There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight. The sort of script which is used in this book can be very easily obtained by anyone who has once learned the knack; but disposed or excitable people who might make a bad use of it shall not learn it from me. Readers are advised to remember that the devil is a liar. Not everything that Screwtape says should be assumed to be true even from his own angle. I have made no attempt to identify any of the human beings mentioned in the letters; but I think it very unlikely that the portraits, say, of Fr. Spike or the patient's mother, are wholly just. There is wishful thinking in Hell as well as on Earth

You can google and download the free ebook
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by valmunich(m): 4:01pm On Sep 21, 2014
franklytrue: The mind is the battlefield. There is the crest and the trough periods in the life of a man. You may be at the trough period now -worship feels stale, God seems far away but don't give up on God. He won't give up on you. The Truth shall prevail in the end and Jesus is the truth.

Please read this book, The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. This is part of the preface:

PREFACE

I HAVE no intention of explaining how the correspondence which I now offer to the public fell into my hands. There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight. The sort of script which is used in this book can be very easily obtained by anyone who has once learned the knack; but disposed or excitable people who might make a bad use of it shall not learn it from me. Readers are advised to remember that the devil is a liar. Not everything that Screwtape says should be assumed to be true even from his own angle. I have made no attempt to identify any of the human beings mentioned in the letters; but I think it very unlikely that the portraits, say, of Fr. Spike or the patient's mother, are wholly just. There is wishful thinking in Hell as well as on Earth

You can google and download the free ebook
Okay... Thanks, I'll try and download the book

1 Like

Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by Kay17: 4:06pm On Sep 21, 2014
simplex2:

By your use of the big God, you mean the Western conception of God??
Re: Why I Have Little Interest In Worshipping God by stariobran(f): 9:35pm On Sep 21, 2014

http://grailmessage.com/en/contents/
You can start reading this
Thank me later

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sinach, I Don't Agree With You, Please / It Hurt My Spirit When I See Christains Celebrating Christmas. / [janmashtami HD Images] Krishna Janmashtami 2016 HD Images, Profile Pics, Dp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.