Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,167 members, 7,880,646 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:36 PM

Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? (9184 Views)

Why Is Obama Soft On The ISIS? / Is Obama Likely To Win His Relection Bid In The States? / Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by kalmebad(f): 3:40pm On Nov 06, 2008
@i_laugh

How @ ease u feel with foul languages

at ur post,alot of pple have answered concisely in their best understanding
For me am not sure i have much to say, whether people, the whole world perceive Obama as African American o. Black,or white American, the fact remains he is the president elect, can one rule in a country where he is not recognise , for me it simply means he is accepted irrespective of his colour. and if i must have anytin to contribute to the post, Obama is of both race, which left him with African-American. He cannot be denied of any,
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by Gamine(f): 3:45pm On Nov 06, 2008
@JustGood

undecided

@Carmelily

Thats what Racist White think,

They dont see themselves as racist sef, they see themselves as protecting their culture and heritage.

So if Any Mix comes into the WHITE, it is contaminated and therefore BLACk, regardless of the percentage.

But then What is Mixed? are they another Race?

i feel we should really think about this though.

i have "mixed" cousins, "mixed" friends, they all see themselves as black sha, even here in naija.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by sexyLeamon(f): 3:46pm On Nov 06, 2008
JustGood:

I assumed that this is a forum for Nigerians, and their friends, to discuss. Naturally, every discussion should take a Nigerian slant. Or perhaps you forgot it's a forum dedicated to Nigerians cheesy
but the topic here is not about nigerians is it? undecided
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by bawomolo(m): 3:47pm On Nov 06, 2008
Thirdly, the fight is not just ours, this is a fight for the mixed race children. When filling a form they should write their race as white and not black if their father is white since they bear the name of the father and if they are from black fathers they should fill in their race as blacks because they bear the black father's name. The man is the head of the family and as such the wife and the kids belong to the man.

nigerians and their crude beliefs.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by JustGood(m): 4:00pm On Nov 06, 2008
sexyLeamon:

but the topic here is not about nigerians is it? undecided

and that means Nigerian views cannot be aired?

you may wish to take the topic to Black American forums if you want only Black American views

Besides, the topic has nothing to do with nationality but with ascribing colour, race, groupings to people.

sheeor
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by JustGood(m): 4:02pm On Nov 06, 2008
@Gamine

I was asking if the views of the white people always have to be right. So if they call MIXED people black, it has to be right?
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by sexyLeamon(f): 4:04pm On Nov 06, 2008
JustGood:

and that means Nigerian views cannot be aired?
the topic is not address as Nigerians what do you think. eventhough it is a Nigerian website, different tribes come here as well. and I think it is better to stick to the topic then going offtopic
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by carmelily: 4:04pm On Nov 06, 2008
Gamine:

@JustGood

undecided

@Carmelily

Thats what Racist White think,

They don't see themselves as racist sef, they see themselves as protecting their culture and heritage.

So if Any Mix comes into the WHITE, it is contaminated and therefore BLACk, regardless of the percentage.

But then What is Mixed? are they another Race?

i feel we should really think about this though.

i have "mixed" cousins, "mixed" friends, they all see themselves as black sha, even here in naija.

Haba, Gamine. And do you agree with the skewed White view?

Mixed might be another race, and it might not be. But there's already such an expression as "MIXED RACE" (i didn't coin it). And the fact remains that the one-drop rule doesn't make any sense.

Your friends and your cousins are products of a world where the rule has held sway for generations. But that's not to say they shouldn't choose a culture to be identified by. Good for them. It's their right. Another idea might be allowing the child at the age of consent decide what race he wants to be identified by. That's Human Rights since they are Mixed.

People like Obama and some of MY friends have decided that they should be who they are. Mixed. Obama has never said he's Black or White. That fact has annoyed some folks but that's the rational thing. who's to say what the predominant gene in his SOUL is? Na only him know. Not a rule.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by Gamine(f): 4:11pm On Nov 06, 2008
@JustGood,

Why are you asking, did i ever imply that?

or do i perhaps look white undecided

@Carmelily,

I cannot speak for anyone

but its left to whoever, mixed or unmixed

to choose what they like or like to be seen as.

If today i want to become a Fijian, no one can stop me

But can i change what runs in my blood? No.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by carmelily: 4:18pm On Nov 06, 2008
grin I just added some ideas to my post before i saw your reply. I think we're saying the same thing now.

My problem is with a rule telling anyone who they are. 50% means 50%. Not 100% of something some rule stipulates.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by ilaugh1: 4:36pm On Nov 06, 2008
all of you are goats in sheeps clothings, cows in dog's shoes and chickens in rats headgear.

The question remains un answered.

White father - black mother = black

black father - white mother = black.

Why?
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by JustGood(m): 5:03pm On Nov 06, 2008
sexyLeamon:

the topic is not address as Nigerians what do you think. eventhough it is a Nigerian website, different tribes come here as well. and I think it is better to stick to the topic then going offtopic

I take it you meant NATIONALITIES.

Anyway, look at my posts and check who's going off tangent here
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 5:34pm On Nov 06, 2008
ok, to all these people trying to be white by hook or by crook:  why are you trying to force yourselves to be something you're not a la Michael Jackson.

Its only a Nigerian who will pound yam, eat a heavy meal of eba, stockfish and draw soup, then come back to yarn stories about how they're not black but white. undecided

And we wonder why bleaching is so popular among Nigerians. undecided

If having mixed blood makes you non-black, then most Fulanis, some Calabars and many many others , arent black. Not to mention countless northern Nigerians arent black either. My friend's mother has Semitic blood from Chad- so she's not black then.

Amazing how folks want to dump being black but at the same time they're crying and ululating over Obama being the first black president. Can a little common sense be applied here.

@ i-laugh: why not post your question on a white forum. Abi you dey fear since you already know the answer. Why disturbing people with your erratic questions?

is it any wonder the whites get very protective of their race: they must have extensive experience with white wannabees. undecided Such a pity.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by KarmaMod(f): 5:53pm On Nov 06, 2008
Or maybe YOU'VE forgotten that this thread is about Obama and why HE is referred to as being black thus the discussion of the AMERICAN 1 drop rule

Nigeria has nothing to do with this discussion.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 6:13pm On Nov 06, 2008
KarmaMod:

Or maybe YOU'VE forgotten that this thread is about Obama and why HE is referred to as being black thus the discussion of the AMERICAN 1 drop rule

Nigeria has nothing to do with this discussion.

this is the current question and context:

i_laugh:

all of you are goats in sheeps clothings, cows in dog's shoes and chickens in rats headgear.

Why?

If America's one drop rule has still produced the first black president, then what are people crying about here? If Obama isnt a black president, then are they trying to field a 100% negro for the white house? With impeccable credentials of his unadulterated African blood?

what on earth is the big deal?
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by ikeyman00(m): 6:19pm On Nov 06, 2008
@poster

u got a goat brain

this thread is such a joke!
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by ilaugh1: 6:40pm On Nov 06, 2008

Why?
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by carmelily: 9:41am On Nov 07, 2008
@Tpia

What we are saying is that the rule is silly. It's illogical. If one drop of Black blood makes you Black, what does one drop of White blood make you? It's a racist rule. Apartheid thrived on an identical rule.

You say the rule produced America's first Black President, but the person in question does not regard himself as either White or Black. And I agree with him. Do you call the colour grey,  black because you could get it by mixing white and black colours?

p.s. And what's bad about a 100% Negro going for the White House? You say it like it's a bad thing.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by carmelily: 9:53am On Nov 07, 2008
tpia:

ok, to all these people trying to be white by hook or by crook: why are you trying to force yourselves to be something you're not a la Michael Jackson.And we wonder why bleaching is so popular among Nigerians. undecided

is it any wonder the whites get very protective of their race: they must have extensive experience with white wannabees. undecided Such a pity.

who on this thread are you really talking about here? Who has said he/she wants to be White so far?
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by tpia: 4:10pm On Nov 07, 2008
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by JustGood(m): 4:19pm On Nov 07, 2008
tpia,

I am not saying Obama is not Black. I am saying he is also white. He is as much Black as he is white because he is 50/50. If anyone can refer to Obama as black, they should have no problem if he is also referred to as white.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by 2tait: 4:38pm On Nov 07, 2008
Obama is a haf-caste. He has african roots.
However, his being the first blackman to win USA presidential election is no big deal.
Black President? A feat Nigeria has achieved since 1960. Nigeriais ahead of the USA.

www.wetindeyforum.com
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by stxnaja: 4:49pm On Nov 07, 2008
To the original poster. You asked why he is considered black when he is mixed. Well, in America, this idea or notion was followed because of the one drop rule which was implemented by white people. As long as you had one drop of black blood in you , you were automatically considered black. This rule may have officially came off of the law, but it is still something that whites use to determine who is black or not. Obama clearly chooses to identify himself as black so if that is what he wants to be, who are we to say otherwise. And to the poster that say why can't he be considered white if he has one drop of white as well, that would then create a problem, because almost all of black America and those in the caribbean will also be considered white because they all have a touch of white blood in them. So I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by stxnaja: 4:54pm On Nov 07, 2008
2tait,

I guess it was easy for nigeria to have a black president, after all it is a black country where blacks are the majority, so of course in countries such as these elected officials in high positions will be black. The USA is a different story because the country is a white country with blacks being the minority so to achieve presidency in a white country is a big deal.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by JustGood(m): 5:01pm On Nov 07, 2008
stxnaja:

To the original poster. You asked why he is considered black when he is mixed. Well, in America, this idea or notion was followed because of the one drop rule which was implemented by white people. As long as you had one drop of black blood in you , you were automatically considered black. This rule may have officially came off of the law, but it is still something that whites use to determine who is black or not. Obama clearly chooses to identify himself as black so if that is what he wants to be, who are we to say otherwise. And to the poster that say why can't he be considered white if he has one drop of white as well, that would then create a problem, because almost all of black America and those in the caribbean will also be considered white because they all have a touch of white blood in them. So I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere.

What exactly is the problem that will create? Will that give them different nationalities or personalities?

What is the logic of saying that if someone has a drop of black he is black, but if he has some drops of white, he is still Black?
Does it really make any sense except to the white supremacists and those who will follow everything that the white man wants them to accept? Why do we make life difficult for mixed race people by almost forcing them to deny of side of their biological make-up
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by stxnaja: 5:24pm On Nov 07, 2008
I guess the problem would be whites not being willing to accept all blacks with white heritage as being black. The blacks with white blood are very proud of the african heritage they have and have no desire to be looked at as a percentage of anything. So they feel better identifying themselves as 100% of something that they know will fully embrace them and that is the black race.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by JustGood(m): 6:22pm On Nov 07, 2008
stxnaja:

I guess the problem would be whites not being willing to accept all blacks with white heritage as being black. The blacks with white blood are very proud of the african heritage they have and have no desire to be looked at as a percentage of anything. So they feel better identifying themselves as 100% of something that they know will fully embrace them and that is the black race.

Must we be subject to every whim of the 'whites'?
I understand the feeling of mixed kids but then again, many of them look down on African/Africans. The fact as well that they are accepted asblack kids (which they rightfully are) does not mean that they are not white as well.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by anonimi: 10:58am On Nov 08, 2008
i_laugh:

Why?

I thought I answered here shocked
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by carmelily: 11:54am On Nov 10, 2008
tpia:

in what way is the pencil test identical to the One drop rule?

Did i ever say the pencil test is identical to the one drop rule? You were the one who brought up the pencil test thing, dude.

Also, seems you didn't see this part of your article:

In the absence of any centralized method, this and other subjective tests were used in various places across South Africa as part of the Population Registration Act of 1950

The pencil test was one method, out of many, that the Apartheid regime used. Go and read up on Apartheid. I have. And i am 100% certain that the regime did practise a method identical with the one drop rule. The Nazis did too.

South Africa already practiced a policy of segregating people by skin color and admixture. Their mixed race people are called coloreds.

coloreds is not a derogatory term in SA. The government decided that it makes more sense to identify a certain group of people more specifically (since the business of government must go on) since they are mixed. Neither White nor Black. An acceptable word was coined to distinguish them. That is perfectly OK. Rational.

and like I pointed out before: you claim either your paternal or maternal hometown. Most times paternal. Explain the logic behind that. I also used the Fulani, Calabar and northern Nigerians example, which no one has responded to yet. many of them are also mixed- should they no longer be called black.

You already said it yourself, they are mixed

In what way did Obama say he doesnt see himself as black?

In the way you are saying it.

The 100% negro comment came in because of the extreme right wing views some of you are holding on this matter.

extreme mai nene?

If the whites want to maintain their Caucasian lineage, why should it be regarded as a crime?
My point exactly.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by davidif: 3:54am On Feb 19, 2009
its called the one drop rule go check it out. By the way, he looks black.
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by chibaby5(f): 2:27pm On Feb 20, 2009
@topic

hehehehe moi waz thinkin sme but itz all gd. . . . hez bn claimed already. . . . lol grin cheesy
Re: Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? by lawwyblack(m): 1:19pm On Feb 27, 2009
YOUR OPINION IS ALL WE NEED TO MAKE NIGERIA BETTER TODAY, VISIT http://greenwhitepolls.com/ THANKS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Oklahoma Tornado Kills 91, 233 Injured / Nelson Mandela Is 'responding To Treatment' / Saddam Hussein Sentenced To Death By Hanging

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.