Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,802 members, 7,938,392 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 02:47 AM

Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? (2638 Views)

Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? / Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing / What Does Your Name Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by culcid(m): 7:51am On Sep 25, 2014
I've always wondered if ones name/names affects/influences the way he/she behaves or what happens to the person. To buttress my point, my family's name is Ezeobi (literally means king of boys) and till date having a female issue has become a rare occurrence in my own family and even extended families.

Also, I've seen people who changed their name or surname with the notion that it will help to change their status.

So what's your opinion, is it just a coincidence or are we subject to the name we chose or accept to bear?
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Sealeddeal(m): 7:58am On Sep 25, 2014
this Topic will make Front page. So,i am taking the Front seat to occupy it against FTC people.
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Sealeddeal(m): 8:11am On Sep 25, 2014
Op,i too have seen people that changed their surname thinking that it will remake them or their fortune.its all religious subscription thats totally nonsensical. In your case,the Ezeobi name is not the reason why your family find it difficult to have a female child. If you think there is something abnormal that causes it,it surely has nothing to do with your name/surname.
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 25, 2014
u couldn't even tell the meaning of your name. shame.
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Mayydayy(m): 8:30am On Sep 25, 2014
YES.i changed my colonial name to a native name.i now think like a real African.i use to think like chris tucker.now i think like Aliko Dangote.
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Sealeddeal(m): 9:52am On Sep 25, 2014
spotit: u couldn't even tell the meaning of your name. shame.
loll.. Actually,that name is an Ozo title and i too do not know the meaning. Alot of Igbo people can not tell the meaning of their surname.
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 25, 2014
Sealeddeal: loll.. Actually,that name is an Ozo title and i too do not know the meaning. Alot of Igbo people can not tell the meaning of their surname.
Ezeobi means the Priest/ruler of the court. every man is the king of his own family in igboland. that does not negate the fact that there's a central parliamentary court usually at the village square, presided over by the chief priest or the local king. this name is a derivative of the two instances I've mentioned...consider Adaobi..
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Sealeddeal(m): 10:38am On Sep 25, 2014
spotit: Ezeobi means the Priest/ruler of the court. every man is his own king of his family in igboland. that does not negate the fact that there's a central parliamentary court usually at the village square, presided over by the chief priest or the local king. this name is a derivative of the two instances I've mentioned...consider Adaobi..
Okayy..thanks for the explanation.i was thinking that names that starts with,'Eze' are Ozo titles.
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 25, 2014
Sealeddeal: Okayy..thanks for the explanation.i was thinking that names that starts with,'Eze' are Ozo titles.

yh sometimes they are, but it's not a given. it's even closer to a priestly title than the chieftaincy. e.g Ezeani...nobody bears this name by choice. it's inherited. however, the nze/ozo titles and the names that are chosen with them are borne simultaneously with the person's real birthnames..it explains the bearer's professional/philanthropic feats, noble birth or future ambitions..all in one short name or string of names....like Ogbuagu, Akunesiobike, Onwanetiliora, Ezeafojuru grin, dim Akuneto, dim akuagwuagwu etc

ezeobi is not very different from dimobi
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by culcid(m): 1:25pm On Sep 25, 2014
spotit: u couldn't even tell the meaning of your name. shame.

You are digressing from the question, does someones name influences the person or not? That's is the question, please answer!!!
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 25, 2014
culcid:

You are digressing from the question, does someones name influences the person or not? That's is the question, please answer!!!
stop yelling kid. shall i teach you some epistemology? has it occured to you that if the originator of this post(and that's you, shamefully)has a distorted understanding of the meaning of his own name, he may have lived a long life in displeasure or conceitedness with his name and consequently pegged every other person as having their fortunes or destinies determined by their given names..even if erroneously?
undecided

and yes i believe a name has a pronounced effect on the bearer...but yours is something else and you need to stop yelling like someone has u in the balls
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Bryan12(m): 2:47pm On Sep 25, 2014
I was here.
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by tpia1: 3:44pm On Sep 25, 2014
even someone with no knowledge of Igbo at all, would still know the meaning of Ezeobi though?
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by culcid(m): 4:36pm On Sep 25, 2014
spotit:
stop yelling kid. shall i teach you some epistemology? has it occured to you that if the originator of this post(and that's you, shamefully)has a distorted understanding of the meaning of his own name, he may have lived a long life in displeasure or conceitedness with his name and consequently pegged every other person as having their fortunes or destinies determined by their given names..even if erroneously?
undecided

and yes i believe a name has a pronounced effect on the bearer...but yours is something else and you need to stop yelling like someone has u in the balls

Thanks for answering the question. If only I have met you hitherto this post, guess I wouldn't have used my surname as an example, and since you are on the affirmative, is changing ones name a solution, in a case where the influence is on the negative side? Or what should the person do?
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 25, 2014
culcid:

Thanks for answering the question. If only I have met you hitherto this post, guess I wouldn't have used my surname as an example, and since you are on the affirmative, is changing ones name a solution, in a case where the influence is on the negative side? Or what should the person do?
...i think it's advisable to do so...seeing as the repeated calling of the name (whether good or bad) is a form of incantation. choosing a new name is a demonstration of faith, it doesn't matter if you're religious or not...it has a spiritual/psychological significance... just as you must invoke a god or any powers by uttering their name...when u call a kid Stupid, he gets angry and acts some more stupid towards you. if you continued that way, it becomes his permanent habit with you and may develop a lifetime character showing you how Stupid can get. I've observed that names just carry the specific energy or wish embedded in them when they are used. u don't curse someone using good words, do you? u don't go to the high commission in the name and seal of your president and still have people questioning your authority... doors open. if you ignored all my argument, what about the physical and psychological results u see when you praise entertainers/sportsmen with their stage names? they suddenly find power and get in their element...now if they continued hearing those names, they're bound to form a stable dependable brand to give a lifetime of productivity. names invoke/venerate forces
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Sealeddeal(m): 8:19pm On Sep 26, 2014
spotit: ...i think it's advisable to do so...seeing as the repeated calling of the name (whether good or bad) is a form of incantation. choosing a new name is a demonstration of faith, it doesn't matter if you're religious or not...it has a spiritual/psychological significance... just as you must invoke a god or any powers by uttering their name...when u call a kid Stupid, he gets angry and acts some more stupid towards you. if you continued that way, it becomes his permanent habit with you and may develop a lifetime character showing you how Stupid can get. I've observed that names just carry the specific energy or wish embedded in them when they are used. u don't curse someone using good words, do you? u don't go to the high commission in the name and seal of your president and still have people questioning your authority... doors open. if you ignored all my argument, what about the physical and psychological results u see when you praise entertainers/sportsmen with their stage names? they suddenly find power and get in their element...now if they continued hearing those names, they're bound to form a stable dependable brand to give a lifetime of productivity. names invoke/venerate forces
can you please give a specific example of how name affect someone's fortune. And if name does as you claim,why are people that bear a name like 'Ikechukwu' not have a power of a god and so one?
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 26, 2014
Sealeddeal: can you please give a specific example of how name affect someone's fortune. And if name does as you claim,why are people that bear a name like 'Ikechukwu' not have a power of a god and so one?
..umm i mean i don't wanna call u thick in the head...after my concise explanation. whose reality is the name Ikechukwu intended to represent or fulfil? the parents' victory over their trials before the child's birth(in testimony to God) or the desired victories of God in the child's waking(adult) life? like i'd said, if you don't first get the reason or the knowledge of the cause of something, u stand a danger of assuming a distorted effect of it. u won't get this argument cos your question already put u out as parochial in mind to go the depth of it.

please don't call me back to this topic. thanks
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by itstpia8: 4:22am On Apr 12, 2016
sometimes- there's not really a general rule.
Re: Does Your Name Influence Your Character And Personality? by itstpia8: 4:24am On Apr 12, 2016
culcid:
I've always wondered if ones name/names affects/influences the way he/she behaves or what happens to the person. To buttress my point, my family's name is Ezeobi (literally means king of boys) and till date having a female issue has become a rare occurrence in my own family and even extended families.

Also, I've seen people who changed their name or surname with the notion that it will help to change their status.

So what's your opinion, is it just a coincidence or are we subject to the name we chose or accept to bear?

maybe your family's name rose from the phenomenon, not the other way round.

It's probably descriptive, not circumstantial.

btw, Ezeobi should mean king of the household or compound, not so?

(1) (Reply)

Symbolism In Yoruba Traditional Religion / Have You Seen Gnome (egbere) Before? / Why Cant We Nigerians Make Our Own Version Of "Coupe Decale" Or Congo "Soukous"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.