Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,896 members, 7,933,317 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 01:25 AM

Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) (44554 Views)

What Do You Think About A Satellite Radio / Need Information About Starting A Satellite Paytv Like Dstv / Nigeria’s N40bn Satellite Missing From Orbit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by Romulus(m): 8:51am On Oct 05, 2006
Hey! I don't think you guys know wat exacty a sattelite is or wat its supposed to do. YOU CALL SAT 1 (this crappy toy) A SATELLITE? That thing is just anutha channel to feed sum hungry mouths. The "1000x optical zoom lens" supposed camera is probably not as good as your eye. This toy is not something to be happy about. The launchers or should i say "makers" actually think we all are block heads in Nigeria. They think we are just going to be delighted about a "Satellite". Nah men! It does work day way.
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 9:16am On Oct 05, 2006
That same satellite is the same one that found out that the lake chad was drying out (FROM SPACE) I don't know about you romulus but my eyes can't see a lake and tell it's drying up from space, I don't know about you but my eyes can't make new maps. Also on the issue of telecommunication and satellites a new Nigerian satellite(NOT theSat-1) has been launched it'll be more for telecommunications than for mapping cool
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by Romulus(m): 12:11pm On Oct 05, 2006
Patriotic Nigerian! What has your country done to curb the drying up of Lake Chad! Why couldn't your Nig SAT-1 detect a plane crash site, as wild as the explosion was? And infact, isn't it so ironic that your satellite is monitoring a neighboring country instead of yours. That shit is a mere toy. I don't need to talk too much. Read about your Nigeria SAT-1(nick SAT-1) then you know wat im talking about. To SAT 2, lets hope it isn't a liability.

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 1:43pm On Oct 05, 2006
Are you one of those i'm not Nigerian wannabees. Anyways Lake chad aint foriegn we also have a bit of the lake TIP; look at your map it won't hurt. Why do you blame the Nigeria for the limitations of the satellite when the sattelite wasn't even made in nigeria all they did was buy it we aint a money bag it's all we could afford as for SAT-2 that one is made in naija and proudly too wink
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by Romulus(m): 1:59pm On Oct 05, 2006
ENGLISH!!! Who said Chad was foreign, guy? Since sat 2 has rendered sat-1 useless, why make sat-1 in the first place when sat 2 was there waiting to be made. E be like say you dey chop from Satellite money! No wonder. NAIJA BOI. i feel you!!!!!

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by Romulus(m): 2:08pm On Oct 05, 2006
And Guy (aka NAIJA BOI) why is it dat companies that make use of satellites for remote sensing and topographical projects don't make use of the impotent sat-1 you've been shouting about. Aerial Photograghs of locations are, till today, been taked by other sats. Y not sat-1. Because they know its a toy. SIMPLE! So why buy a sat wen it can't do shit!

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 4:56am On Oct 06, 2006
You also comented that nigeria hasn't done didley to curb the blah blah well the government of Nigeria has, they are in a conbined agreement with the other governments to try to chanel a river from congo to lake chad thus making it as large as it originally was and sustaining the local fishing and agricultural economy in the area, people like you seem to jump around issues without stating facts, Nigeria is leading the way America won't develop our economy for us and neither will Britain or other super powers we have to do it ourselves and if it means buyuing a toy then that's exactly what we'll do, it sure shows results doesn't it, improving communications and improve the standard of living by making such services as e payment and banking a reality this innovatives that have been provided by the current administration bring Nigeria closer to te rest of the world, funny what a toy can do hey tongue

Romulus:

Patriotic Nigerian! What has your country done to curb the drying up of Lake Chad! Why couldn't your Nig SAT-1 detect a plane crash site, as wild as the explosion was? And infact, isn't it so ironic that your satellite is monitoring a neighboring country instead of yours. That shit is a mere toy. I don't need to talk too much. Read about your Nigeria SAT-1(nick SAT-1) then you know what im talking about. To SAT 2, lets hope it isn't a liability.

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by Romulus(m): 9:50am On Oct 06, 2006
Guy, Nigeria wasn't in charge of that project o! Chad did it themselves o! Una don dey claim again as usual. O ti mora now! O normal. I said it! You are eating out of satellite money cuz if not you won't even recommend the toy in the first place and talk of a better one after. Chop your money dey go o, OGA SAT-1! No beefs, okay? You for even talk say na SAT-1 bring GSM, 25bn naira capital base for banks e.t.c come NAIJA. Abi no be so?
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 10:05am On Oct 06, 2006
Chad were in charge but we were a part of it, Chad should be in charge has they have the largest portion of the lake so therefore it is more of their reponsibilty they aren't a broke country they're just infested with corrupt leaders, It's not the Sat-1 that brought naija to where it is when it comes to telecommunictions but it improved it's place significantly and that's why Nigeria is the fastest growing market in Africa and second fastest in the world behind Brazil cool
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by Romulus(m): 10:57am On Oct 06, 2006
What place did the toy improve o, bros? The launch of that toy sat say hasn't done shit to improve the technological advancement of this country. It's highly obsolete so wat can it do at this age and time, ehn, Bros? Even the Department Of Surveying and Geoinformatics Dept in Unilag (as lame and small as it is) uses the aerial photographs captured by other better and accurate satellites, so of what exact use is it, when it isn't even useful to a school talkless of a nation. You and this your "SAT-1 support" sef! Na wah o!
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 2:51am On Oct 07, 2006
The satellite is very important for the needs of Nigeria's space aspirations so it's a very useful toy, but it's very suprising that a toy can have lenses that can see image scenes as large as 640 x 560 km, This satellite can be used to monitor pollution. The Nigeria Sat-1 is similar to the Alsat toy of Algeria and is just as effective. I am not a supporter of Sat-1 but i'm not a critic, Nigeria wishes to collect surveys of things like deforestaion, Acid Rain, Pollution and Aquatic surveying and this satellite is doing just that, Nigeria is the biggest producer of hardwood in Africa, but trees are been cut down at an alarming rate, the lenses of this magnificent toy can easily spot new changes in vegetationa nd spot the rate of dessertification in that respect this satelite is very important, it will launch the initiatives of new methods of enriching soils and creating green belts in areas needed to help the people of Nigeria, this satellite is't for the sake of showing off to the other kids that we got a new toy but to help our people this satellite is a multi purpose satellite like it's toy buddy the Sat-2, for a nation to go beyond one must look beyond cool
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by LoverBwoy(m): 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2006
Has the satellite been used at all? is it being used currently?

things are created for a reason,

I think sat2 will be more useful though
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 8:30pm On Oct 07, 2006
It's been used for many issues, Sat-2 will be great
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by LoverBwoy(m): 8:52pm On Oct 07, 2006
many issues like. . . . ? ? perharps its classified info wink
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 8:58pm On Oct 07, 2006
It has been used for the monitoring of pollution, land use and other medium-scale phenomena, it's also been used for tracking disasters, like storms although that hasn't been fully implemented because Nigeria is no Florida
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by LoverBwoy(m): 9:09pm On Oct 07, 2006
dblock:

It has been used for the monitoring of pollution, land use and other medium-scale phenomena, it's also been used for tracking disasters, like storms although that hasn't been fully implemented because Nigeria is no Florida

you are basically explaining what sats are used for , i want to know what the nigerian sat1 is currently being used for

most west african countries do not experience severe weather conditions apart from extreme heat

pollution? like whats happening in the Niger Delta shocked
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2006
Hey i'm no Brainbox or article filter, I know what this satellite was built for but the only issue that the satellite was put into use that i am aware of is the Lake Chad issue and that i am certain of, as for the niger delta no satellite is needed to see the extent of the problem, that companies like shell are making but all the government has done concerning that problem is to demand a fee which i'm sure wasn't paid
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 9:21pm On Oct 07, 2006
This picture of the missisipi delta was taken by the satellite

Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 9:44pm On Oct 07, 2006
A picture that the Sat-1 downloaded in december 2003 showed a large area in South Wetern Nigeria, the purpose of the picture was to create a map that showed the detailed geography of the area and thus allowing the government to embark upon new Tourism initiatives, detailed pictures of the gambari park, Oyo state; specifically ibadan the picture was immensely detailed that observers could spot Eleyele Dam and the precise location of the university of Ibadan, a revolutionary map of Lagos state was also taken by the satellite, but the satellite did encounter obstructions such as cloud Covered area thus making some pictures poorer than others, and the satellite also has limitaion of identification due to the power of it's lenses, but nevertheless th satellite is quite useful and has proven quite useful for the tourism sector because it made it possible to draw out new tourism sites without actually having to travel in vain. cool
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by alabiyemmy(m): 8:27pm On Dec 24, 2006
@ ROMULUS

Dont talk like that.

""""What place did the toy improve o, bros? The launch of that toy sat say hasn't done shit to improve the technological advancement of this country. It's highly obsolete so what can it do at this age and time, ehn, Bros? Even the Department Of Surveying and Geoinformatics Dept in Unilag (as lame and small as it is) uses the aerial photographs captured by other better and accurate satellites, so of what exact use is it, when it isn't even useful to a school talkless of a nation.  You and this your "SAT-1 support" sef! Na wah o!"""""""

You even said the University department is lame - I disagree with you. I am a product of that same department, graduated first class and one of the best in the field worlwide now. The maps from the satellite are useful, if you say the resolution is low, that is a different matter, it serves a different purpose from high acccuracy mapping satellites - chill - what you don't know, you don't know - don't put down everything as if you know it all.
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by nazzyon(m): 10:27pm On Dec 25, 2006
Guys stop complaining about the state at which Nigeria is at the moment. They say Rome wasn't built in a day, though we know technology and some other developments are slow here in the country, but we should not be complaining, what do you have to say about those who had advanced far beyond Nigeria and yet it was later demolished by either war or natural causes.

It is better if we stopped complaining and trying to do one thing or the other. Either we study to meet up with our dreams and if your line does not appply to technology you can work hard right now and hope to be able to help financially.

I myself do complain but I do give it a rethink. Sometimes i blame myself for not meeting up with my plans and think that if i had done the right thing at the right time I would have been the one to solve the problem i am now complaining about.

We can not just sit down and keep blaming the peoples who are striving for a better future for us. We have to sit right and contribute to what they have done or anything in progress.

We've got lots to do than to keep blaming other for what they do. Why not try to add to what they are doing and see what the future holds. Any body can be a pioneer. Newton, Einstein and a whole lots of others may have achieved what we hear and see today but this is our country, your name will be mentioned that you're the one who did certain thing which peoples are enjoying.

Though I know most may be taking me for a freak but it can happen. If youths sit together and hold some kind of semar or a kind of meeting. There is no need for any financial assistance from the elders and if it is required they can later be contacted.

The problem most people here in Nigeria is people have this general princple "Anything man does, Man must gain for it" Wrong we can do for others to gain. Your gain may not come in your life time but the hereafter counts for most.

It is jjust a matter of believing. And to forget about our gains and impossiblities.

Possiblities, and believe.

Think about it, We know a host peoples are suffering. Lets forget about our pains. And do the right thing. P

Pardon me for this. In South Africa most believe that with Whites rulling they were enjoying and Blacks cannot do quarter. That's why they are suffering.

If we can put superiority, racial problems and religious crisis aside here in Nigeria we can do better.
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by marhoatumu(m): 4:58pm On Jan 29, 2007
why is everybody getting so worked up about a satellite put up by nigeria. if you feel its a good thing then good for you, if you feel its bad then take it down and if you cant then keep quiet and stop unleashing ur bad feelings on everybody. we were not the ones that put up the satellite, so stop bad mouthing us. as for me i think its a good thing. at leaast we can now rely on our own property instead of looking for outside help. when will we actually launch one here in nigeria?
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by New(m): 6:30pm On Feb 16, 2007
I can't believe people are moaning 'cos we've taken a step into space (still playing catchup) instead of applauding. Yes people are starving, yes we have unstable electricity supply etc We are playing catch up. Best to start now (which we have) than sit back with arms folded and watch Benin republic pass us by.

here is a plus.
allAfrica.com: Nigeria: Nigerian Satellite Aids Tsunami With DataNigerian satellite, Nig-sat 1, has been actively involved in the mitigation of recent Asian Tsunami disaster, by supplying satellite images of the affected ,
allafrica.com/stories/200501200228.html -
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by nazzyon(m): 9:51pm On Feb 17, 2007
People never seize to making me laugh.

People like saying this, "Rome was not built in a day" but I doubt if they knew what they are saying. Yes, we want to meet up with all these leading countries which we are hearing about or we have visited. Peoples' have forgotten that those countries started in a place just like this with both positive and negative results and all the same the citizens remain supportive, that's why they are leading today.

Yes, we know the economy is bad. Who is to be blamed? I know lots will hail "Government". Sometimes Governments has to be left to its problems and anyone related to political aspect in life should make it his/her targeted put out the widely burn fire. And others who are not related to political lines should strive and add what they think will improve the economy.

America as some peope believe is the best in the world, "Yes, they are advanced, yes, they are wealthy, yes their economy is good, but do you know that they also have problems, as our source of power supply fails here in Nigeria, over there too they have environs where people do not have access to electricity.

In the United States, and some european all the way to Asia, their are lots of people working towards the success of their country. Are we doing the same here?

Yes, we know that most of lecturer do not encourage Success, the best way to handle that is to leave them behind if we @ them with the expectations that they will do good. Believe you will rot and after Graduation. It will be hard to design a personal project even when we find a person to finance.

I once asked if there is an organisation, which is meant for technological developments here in Nigeria, my answer was Nada.

Well my prayer we rising youth in Nigeria should over all the problems, and all the problems in Nigeria should come to pass in no time.

The SAT-1 has its purpose, it is serving it, it cannot leave and start doing something else.
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by bimbor(m): 11:05am On Feb 26, 2007
well it goes further to show our govt. has misplaced priorities. money meant 4 developing the economy, providing basic amenities like shelter, electricity and roads is being used to place satellite in orbit. what a shame. Nig. should take a cue from. dev. countries
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by alabiyemmy(m): 7:35pm On Mar 03, 2007
some people just blame government for anything government does - good or bad. Sometimes I wonder if they get paid for saying bad about the government and whatever good the government does, however I have found out that such people have their brains in their arses, I advice them to go wipe their butts with sand paper.
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by kino: 4:18pm On Mar 16, 2007
A govt that cannot provide more than 1000MW of electricity for its people is wasting funds operating a satellite. What gain has the satellite brought home, it has not helped in search and rescue efforts, climate prediction, communiction , the list goes on. BABA and Nweke have got their priorities wrong. Build roads, hospitals ( not travelling to London for sprained ankles) is what we need not some machine that orbits space and provided no benefit for the poor man on the ground. OLD HOW YOU GO SAY THIS GOVT GOOD. THIS GOVT WORSE PASS ABACHA.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by larryoncol(m): 5:21pm On Mar 22, 2007
Nigerai and their so called sat -1,

well i actually do not see any reason for launching a satellite into space when we can't even provide constant wanter and electricity, the fgact about it is that our govenment in this country is so disorganised, new government new policies,

they don't see or respect the fact that development is somethinmg that should be incremental, we do not have the power to manage our resources here on earth, then what about in space.

grin
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by dblock(m): 4:50am On Mar 25, 2007
whoohoo, here comes da insults grin
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by shower(m): 3:58pm On Mar 25, 2007
seun, Thanks for highlighting the use of the satellite. It is that the federal government should use the satellite to monitor or carry out checks on oil pollutions and others things in the country.
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by shower(m): 4:03pm On Mar 25, 2007
It will be very good that the federal government should use the satellite to in area of agriculture for mass food production.
Re: Nigeria has a Satellite in Orbit! (NigeriaSat-1) by bunmii(f): 4:05pm On Mar 25, 2007
well good for them as least every country gotta start from somewhere and i like the idea of a satelite tha can warn pple about dangers.the nxt thing on the agenda should be free education.,24 hrs electricity and water e.t.c

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNAIJA: MC Oluomo Trends After Omoshola Says He Is Like Youth Leader Of Lagos / Kiddwaya To Erica: It Is Risky To Love A Guy Like Me / BBNaija: K-Brule Tried To Kiss Anto, She Refused, But Went On To Kiss Lolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.