Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,689 members, 7,979,322 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 06:23 AM

Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right (30391 Views)

Interpret These Sayings / Clever Quotes And Sayings / Funny Women Quotes And Sayings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by NDprudent(m): 3:18pm On Sep 28, 2014
What an elder sees sitting, a child can't see even when on a palmtree............BROS, NOT WEN D COMPOUND IS FENCED.

See e-warriors o!!!....runs out of thread.

1 Like

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by TheAmazon: 3:40pm On Sep 28, 2014
grin well said !
Austyn44: 1. the patient dog eats the fatest bone "COS THE SMART DOGS HAVE EATEN THE MEAT".
2. Two heads are better than 1 "TWO GOOD HEADS ARE BETTER THAN ONE and ONE GOOD HEAD IS BETTER THAN TWO BAD HEADS.
3. A problem shared is a problem half solved. "DEPENDING ON WHO U SHARE IT WITH COS SOME FOLKS HAVE PROBLEM MAGNIFYING GLASSES.
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by uchdollar111: 5:14pm On Sep 28, 2014
Guy wetin U wan ma do ni? Anyway check out www.myeventsgallery.com sign up to receive free gifts b/4 our launching party!
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by habiolah(m): 5:28pm On Sep 28, 2014
MrKontrovErsy:

you didnt get it,
it says A STITCH IN TIME... MEANING A SINGLE STITCH... AND NOT SEWING ENTIRE CLOTH.... IF U SEW 1 STITCH FAST ENUFF UT WILL SAVE U TIME TO MAKE OTHER STITCHES.

SO IM SAYING THAT U MIGHT HURT UR SELF AS U ARE TRYING TO BE FAST.....
MOST ROAD ACCIDENTS ARE CAUSED BY UNNECESSARY SPEED BY AS THEY ARE TRYING TO REACH THEIR DESTINATION ON TIME..

I HOPE U GET MY POINT

I guess. though I doubt it means what you think it does
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by eaglechild: 5:32pm On Sep 28, 2014
Donfamous: u're confused here.
No he is not
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by willorie(f): 5:38pm On Sep 28, 2014
Donfamous: u're confused here.

definitely, he is unreasonably confused! angry
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 28, 2014
nedu2000: I like your modified version but your version is quite obvious

lol its true.... its quite obvious..but its not "my version" o

thats the way its rightly said
i used to make that mistake aswell untill i was corrected
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by adonbilivit: 8:20pm On Sep 28, 2014
willorie:

don't just follow suit! a deep thought is all you need now.
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Noneroone(m): 8:54pm On Sep 28, 2014
Robbing peter to pay paul.
Nah! You can't 'cos if you rob peter to pay paul you are still paying PSQUARE.

1 Like

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by mytym(m): 9:28pm On Sep 28, 2014
Donfamous: u turned it upside down, its actually d inverse u wrote
willorie:
VIPICO: The OP is not confused. That's the correct saying. I know you expected to read "You can eat your cake and have it". But the latter is wrong while the former is right. Research.

OP was right...It is You Can't Have your cake and eat it.- the main reason why the quote was included in the first place is because its one that always generate controversy even this thread already proves it coz it sounds counterintuitive..
OP is NOT confused in anyway most ppl often think literarily it should be the reverse, albeit they are very wrong.
Your cake can NOT be existing 'uneaten'...(Have)
and simultaneously be existing 'eaten' (Eat).
The quote is depicting two opportunities that are NOT mutually exclusive. It is not explaining Order!
People confuse it for what it is NOT..."order of eating" nd in that regard.... 'You can Not Eat Your Cake and THEN Have It' will make sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by adonbilivit: 10:01pm On Sep 28, 2014
mytym:

OP was right...It is You Can't Have your cake and eat it.- the main reason why the quote was included in the first place is because its one that always generate controversy even this thread already proves it coz it sounds counterintuitive..
OP is NOT confused in anyway most ppl often think literarily it should be the reverse, albeit they are very wrong.
Your cake can NOT be existing 'uneaten'...(Have)
and simultaneously be existing 'eaten' (Eat).
The quote is depicting two opportunities that are NOT mutually exclusive. It is not explaining Order!
People confuse it for what it is NOT..."order of eating" nd in that regard.... 'You can Not Eat Your Cake and THEN Have It' will make sense.
thank you. donfamous i need you to apologise to me ASAP. LOLZ

1 Like

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by chibyke959: 6:51am On Sep 29, 2014
"What must be must be".. This is the reason so many are poor.
We are supposed to make things happen.
This one should be removed entirely

1 Like

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Adrenaline123(m): 9:28am On Sep 29, 2014
AfricanApple: Lol, seriously maybe English owners have changed it but i know it as Ebola

sometimes I don't like following these newscasters' oral English o cos most of them likes using American English which they can't even speak well.
True that, I frown at those casters forming oyibo accent, spoilng english for us. smiley smiley
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Hephzibeulah: 10:59am On Sep 29, 2014
I think the poster has just demonstrated how shallow he/she is.
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Donfamous(m): 1:41pm On Sep 29, 2014
adonbilivit: thank you. donfamous i need you to apologise to me ASAP. LOLZ
lolz, boss I know u are ryt, but d one which u depicted as d wrong one in which ppl always say is right, is indeed wrong but, I haven't heard it from ppl claiming its right, hope u get?
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by adonbilivit: 1:49pm On Sep 29, 2014
Donfamous: lolz, boss I know u are ryt, but d one which u depicted as d wrong one in which ppl always say is right, is indeed wrong but, I haven't heard it from ppl claiming its right, hope u get?
no p. we are cool now
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by fightforchange1(f): 5:27pm On Sep 29, 2014
Youre as right as rain.
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 30, 2014
if you can't beat them,join them.
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by SenatorJames(m): 7:49pm On Oct 01, 2014
@last quote
MrKontrovErsy: wow..nice topic @op somtymes i equally tink of some mistakes in the popular sayings grin

ONCE BEATEN TWICE SHY....n0pe not all d time because the one beaten might learn from his mistake and do better next time.

HALF BREAD IS BETTER THAN NONE... nope i think it should be HALF GOOD BREAD IS BETTER THAN NONE because its better to stay hungry dan eat a rotten bread and fell sick.

TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE BROTH....unles the are bad cooks

IF U CANT BEAT THEM JOIN THEM..... they will poison u becox dey can hardly trust u

SLOW AND STEADY WINS D RACE... pls is diz man ok? undecided
May be Marathon race, because the fastest at the beginning will soon get tired, before the end of the race.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jeremiah Fasipe Emerges Student Union President At Sheffield Hallam University / 11-year-old Boy Admitted To The University To Study Quantum Physics / Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.