Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,621 members, 7,908,588 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 09:21 AM

Why Do We Go To School? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do We Go To School? (15760 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Go To School? by Olutola88(m): 11:57pm On Sep 29, 2014
The commonest reason for going to school is to have a secured future; Get a noble job with your degree, have good work environment, access to better healthcare, good retirement package etc. This applies not only to Nigerians but also to people all over the world.

At one point or the other, our parents reminded us of how important it is for us to face our studies so as to become great in life. I remember vividly one of the most popular Yoruba songs we sang in primary school: “Bata re a dun ko ko ka, bi o ba ka we re, bata re a dun ko ko ka, Ti o ko ba kawe re, bata re a wo sherere ni le e”. Meaning: “If you take your studies seriously, you will get to wear the most elegant office Shoes but if you do not read your books, you will be roaming the streets in bathroom slippers all your life”.

Then, we were all made to believe that the most brilliant students in class had the brightest future and that the ones that weren't academically sound were in trouble. The brainiacs were on top of the world, loved by all, enjoyed preferential treatment from teachers, classmates always wanted them to have a taste of whatever food they brought from home, classmates always shared everything with the brightest kid in class because everyone wanted to be friends with the young boy/girl with the BRIGHT FUTURE.

Whenever we were asked what we wanted to become in future, none of us wanted to be Teachers. Have you ever asked yourself why we never wanted to be Teachers? It's simply because even as kids, we knew the Teaching profession was not among the most lucrative. We all wanted to be Medical Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Bankers, Pilots etc. As fate would have it many of us are teachers today not because we wanted it but because of the killing rate of unemployment. The teaching job seems to be one of the easiest to get and trust me, it still remains one of the worst-paid jobs. Some University graduates earn as low as 15,000 naira monthly as Teachers.

Where are the best 5 students in your class while in primary school and secondary school? Did they end up having BRIGHT FUTURE? In fact, I can't count the number of people that have told me that I have a bright future(especially girls). Some of them even dated me for that reason. I just hope the “You have a bright future” slogan isn't a scam because the future is almost here. *lmao*. Even if I'm not fooled by the numerous “you have a bright future” gists I've heard from people, I still believe with GOD I have a VERY BRIGHT FUTURE *winks.

Do Primary school and High school students of today still have that our archaic orientation? Are they still made to believe that Education should be mainly for you to secure a decent job? Do they need to be reoriented? Should we teach them better benefits of Education?

As for me, I will call a spade a spade and not an instrument for digging; I WENT TO SCHOOL BECAUSE I WAS BORN IN A SOCIETY WHERE WE WERE MADE TO BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL AND HAVE GOOD GRADES TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE.

WHY DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL?

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Kennethco(m): 12:09am On Sep 30, 2014
It depends on ur own personal reason for going
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by rawpadgin(m): 12:13am On Sep 30, 2014
this sure will be interesting
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by AfricanApple(f): 12:37am On Sep 30, 2014
becos I want to be learned, I want to know what I can not ordinarily know, I went to school to....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by CharlieMaria(m): 2:07am On Sep 30, 2014
I went to school to sleep.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by AlexisM16: 2:08am On Sep 30, 2014
What warranted this foo..lish question in the middle of the night?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by alamoht(m): 2:09am On Sep 30, 2014
I want be educative now, wole soyinka if u are not educated then u are not a complete human being.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by NaLaugh: 2:09am On Sep 30, 2014
Anyone who goes to school for the sole purpose of getting a "job" afterward isn't ready for life.

14 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Bolgra2008(f): 2:09am On Sep 30, 2014
We go to schoool to learn how to take Claro........
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by marieolae(f): 2:11am On Sep 30, 2014
Its a personal preference. Although in the society today, you don't have to be "educated" to make it. The world is looking at what you have to offer.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:12am On Sep 30, 2014
Rancho: Pursue excellence, and success will follow, pants down.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by CharlieMaria(m): 2:12am On Sep 30, 2014
AlexisM16: What warranted this foo..lish question in the middle of the night?
Nnaa help me ask ooo. But you no dey sleep? cheesy grin
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by ibrews: 2:13am On Sep 30, 2014
Because dey said I won't be nobody if I didn't but I bet I will hv become somebody had it been I didn't! And besides...una no dey sleep for dis place,u still dey comment from ya meeting ni? Na wa o...if I no fit be FTC for midnight,shey na afternoon I wan come be...Mtcheew!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by msmon(m): 2:13am On Sep 30, 2014
I will comment later!

Modified:

@OP, you asked 'why do I go to school'?. I will answer by telling you it's just to have education believing that it will be the benchmark for me to be successful in life. Like you rightly said, our parents has made us to believe that but we later find out it's not totally right.

We often confuse 'Schooling' with 'Knowledge', but it's has been discover that some people may have education without been knowledgeable and it brings to mind the debate of 'Brilliance VS. Intelligence'.

In conclusion, I thank God I had education because I read my way through to discover some fault in some of the things our parents told us back then and I have come to realise that there are two things that shape our destiny and define our future, 1) the choice we make and 2) our commitment towards that choice.

I submit!

23 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by pabon(m): 2:14am On Sep 30, 2014
K
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 2:15am On Sep 30, 2014
The educational system here particularly in nigeria is over hyped. School is preached as having excessive benefits. Meanwhile in the world, its much more difficult. You find dropouts and entrepreneurs who didn't see the four walls of school even employing the so-called graduates. So to me education and learning is a personal thing, shouldn't be stereotyped to four walls of some large building. Discover yourself, your passions. Delve into into. Learn about it passionately. The internet alone is a better school than most of our universities here... Take advantage of it and be a better person. Thanks.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 2:16am On Sep 30, 2014
AlexisM16: What warranted this foo..lish question in the middle of the night?
like seriously you lack manner of approach.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 2:16am On Sep 30, 2014
marieolae: Its a personal preference. Although in the society today, you don't have to be "educated" to make it. The world is looking at what you have to offer.
But its still not seen that way. They still attach this "tag" on "school" as the higest value.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by TheyVid(m): 2:16am On Sep 30, 2014
Okada man oya drop me here sharply!

This got to be interesting!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by marieolae(f): 2:17am On Sep 30, 2014
nassyblue:
But its still not seen that way. They still attach this "tag" on "school" as the higest value.
that is only in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by evea: 2:19am On Sep 30, 2014
want to know everything in life. I want to be a woman of wonders. Thank God for education
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 2:20am On Sep 30, 2014
I didnt know why I went to school as a kid but wen I started making friends in primary school, going to to school was like a must cos of my friends...anyways I knew the purpose of going THROUGH school in secondary school which helped in deciding wat I wanted for my life tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by yomi007k(m): 2:20am On Sep 30, 2014
I went to school cos my daddy said I should.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 2:23am On Sep 30, 2014
marieolae: that is only in Nigeria
Exactly. It does suck. And its funny how they praise these so called dropouts who become celebrites,footballers etc.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by sammieguze(m): 2:28am On Sep 30, 2014
Coz my parents flogged and forced me to school.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 2:35am On Sep 30, 2014
Wud love to meet you... sorry if msg does not tally wit d post embarassed

marieolae: Its a personal preference. Although in the society today, you don't have to be "educated" to make it. The world is looking at what you have to offer.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Idrismusty97(m): 2:38am On Sep 30, 2014
....Because parents said so of course. By fire by force! Typical Nigerian style like the poster below illustrated ↓ cheesy
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 2:41am On Sep 30, 2014
It wasn't an option.

13 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Mintayo(m): 2:45am On Sep 30, 2014
I don't even know! But i guess i won't be where i am today if i didn't go to school,no?:>

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by elspycey(m): 2:49am On Sep 30, 2014
there are three great weapon of mind control viz: Love,Religion and Education
we are made to believe that education is the key meanwhile it is a scheme to streamline our thoughts and bottle our imagination.......
me oh, i went to school to fulfill parental expectation...today, they are proud of me but i can't say I'm proud of myself cos I'm not yet who I want to be

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

University Of Benin, Uniben Post Ume 2010/2011 Result Update / Education: A Curse Or A Blessing / Delsu 2nd Admission List Is Out.check Ur Status And Join Us Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.