Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,859 members, 7,872,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:31 AM

Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) (4344 Views)

Reaction Of Africans When BBC Said Nigeria Flag Is Boring / Nnamdi Azikiwe As Nigeria Celebrated Independence Day In 1960 - Throwback Photos / See The Original Design Of The Nigerian National Flag. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Melancholy(m): 6:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
Balkan: The Coat of Arms of Nigeria has a black shield with two white lines that form in a "Y" shape. The black shield represents Nigeria's fertile soil, while the two horses or chargers on each side represent dignity. The eagle represents strength, while the green and white bands on the top of the shield represent the rich soil.[1]

The red flowers at the base are Costus spectabilis, Nigeria's national flower. This flower was chosen for inclusion in the coat of arms as it is found all over Nigeria and also stand for the beauty of the nation. The white wavy pall represents the Niger and the Benue. On the banderole around the base is Nigeria's national motto since 1978: "Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress" (formerly "Peace, Unity, Freedom"wink

See the Ingenuity in this master peace. Do know who designed this?
question for the gods. After you've google what it represent, u still come on nairaland to ask an embarrassing question. Least i forget, algeria and saudi arabia got same parti-colour.
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by focus7: 6:42pm On Sep 30, 2014
A frustrated low lifer who does not have any accomplishment and have no hope of amounting to any relevance like d OP never appreciate d effort of others. Op I guess ur father was wallowing in mediocrity in d booz of alcohol and getting much high on weed when Pa Akinkunmi was using his creativity to design d flag, with the way u are going u may end up like ur father a nonentity.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by mogentle(m): 6:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
But in an interview, the man opened up that it was a competition and he was rewarded with #100,000 then in 1958 which is equivalent to about #50million these days. So, why the cry about being neglected?
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Balkan(m): 7:21pm On Sep 30, 2014
Melancholy: question for the gods. After you've google what it represent, u still come on nairaland to ask an embarrassing question. Least i forget, algeria and saudi arabia got same parti-colour.
theirs make sense, they are muslim countries and green is an Islamic colour
Islam is synonymous with green.
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:27pm On Sep 30, 2014
Balkan: anybody can give any interpretation to green white green. to me its not well thought of.
You should have searched in google before coming here to disgrace yourself. Taiwo Akinkumi's original design of the flag had more designs/features than what we see today. It was modified.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by UnknownT: 7:32pm On Sep 30, 2014
In my own case, I am not against the ingenuity of d flag. He won a competition, and he was given the prize money #100000(someone confirm the zeroes), he studied abroad and came back, worked as a civil servant and retired. If some of his mates who went abroad with him then later made it in life, why do we then blame government for 'neglecting' him? It was not as if he designed the flag for free, he won a prize and was paid. Some bankrupt footballer will later blame Govt for abandoning them when during their prime, they were paid for each appearance + winning/draw bonuses. Its high time we stopped blaming Govt if someone who after he must have gained from the government in his prime by his own bad luck or what ever reasons became "poor". Kudos to GEJ sha!

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
People are entitled to their
opinions and should be free
to do so as long as they
articulate their feelings with
respect for others. But when
people decide to share their
opinions in a way that is meant to
hurt another person's feelings,
that is when they become haters.
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by gratiaeo(m): 7:45pm On Sep 30, 2014
There is nothing special about the flag. But the flag and the designer are over celebrated. Little wonder the previous leaders including OBJ his fellow tribe man didn't care to celebrate him.
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by specco(m): 7:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
In fact the OP has my thoughts. That flag is too bland and doesn't befit this great nation. Just like a pot of soup with no salt. In the midst of other Nationalities flags, it looks so dull and weak. It needs to be spiced up a bit. I won't begrudge the designer for his recognition and award but certainly the flag design was not a master piece.
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by gratiaeo(m): 7:51pm On Sep 30, 2014
UnknownT: In my own case, I am not against the ingenuity of d flag. He won a competition, and he was given the prize money #100000(someone confirm the zeroes), he studied abroad and came back, worked as a civil servant and retired. If some of his mates who went abroad with him then later made it in life, why do we then blame government for 'neglecting' him? It was not as if he designed the flag for free, he won a prize and was paid. Some bankrupt footballer will later blame Govt for abandoning them when during their prime, they were paid for each appearance + winning/draw bonuses. Its high time we stopped blaming Govt if someone who after he must have gained from the government in his prime by his own bad luck or what ever reasons became "poor". Kudos to GEJ sha!
Yakini Yashidi as case study
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by aryzgreat: 7:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
Teejizzle: Yet some idiots, the OP inclusive, will come here and blab how the whole hate igbo.
What do we call this? This was an open contest,yet nobody from the cursed land was able to present a more brilliant idea than this man.
The same way they rubbish soyinka for winning a nobel award instead of their hate filled achebe.

otu nnei
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 30, 2014
Maybe we can add a dongoyaro leaf in the middle of our own.
@ OP will that satisfy you?

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Balkan(m): 8:12pm On Sep 30, 2014
UnknownT: In my own case, I am not against the ingenuity of d flag. He won a competition, and he was given the prize money #100000(someone confirm the zeroes), he studied abroad and came back, worked as a civil servant and retired. If some of his mates who went abroad with him then later made it in life, why do we then blame government for 'neglecting' him? It was not as if he designed the flag for free, he won a prize and was paid. Some bankrupt footballer will later blame Govt for abandoning them when during their prime, they were paid for each appearance + winning/draw bonuses. Its high time we stopped blaming Govt if someone who after he must have gained from the government in his prime by his own bad luck or what ever reasons became "poor". Kudos to GEJ sha!
He was a civil servant, on government pay roll doing his Job. He was paid 100,000 pounds in those which translate to millions. imagine that amount those days. yet he was begging for food before GEJ intervened. if he had designed the flag free of charge I would called him a hero and deserves the award. he ate his cake and had it back. when you here that the man who designed Nigeria flag is left on cared for you will think he designed it for free. very boring flag.

Typical of a particular tribe.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by UnknownT: 8:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
gratiaeo:
Yakini Yashidi as case study
Exactly! Rashidi I heard had a bad investment that took all his money and I know that during his hay days he was paid bonuses each time he played for super eagles. Now imagine one of this current super eagles squad in Brazil that refused to play before their allowances were paid going bankrupt later in life and den turn around and say government has forgotten him

balkan:
He was a civil servant, on government pay roll doing his Job. He was paid 100,000 pounds in those which translate to millions. imagine that amount those days. yet he was begging for food before GEJ intervened. if he had designed the flag free of charge I would called him a hero and deserves the award. he ate his cake and had it back. when you here that the man who designed Nigeria flag is left on cared for you will think he designed it for free. very boring flag.

Typical of a particular tribe
Quit being tribalistic, it wasn't because of tribe I commented on this thread pls
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 30, 2014
justhelp: or sorry i dont know u are from landlocked Region, one of the bastard tribe in Niger oh if what the president did for this man is given u sleepless night just do the needful hug Ebola dead corpse, and make your journey to meet that coward Ojukwu to report GEJ.

The last person I knew that was always talking like this is now mad.... Keep it up bro.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Super1759: 10:07pm On Sep 30, 2014
please who desisgned the coat of arm?
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by ikweremilitant: 10:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
Balkan: This RUMU IKWERRE boy This one you are in a good mood it seems you have sold some piece of land today. I guess as much Remember there wont be another abandoned property
balkan hahahahaha my man i know sell anyland o,just that my wife put to birth 2dy.
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Tayeni(m): 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2014
Balkan: He was a civil servant, on government pay roll doing his Job. He was paid 100,000 pounds in those which translate to millions. imagine that amount those days. yet he was begging for food before GEJ intervened. if he had designed the flag free of charge I would called him a hero and deserves the award. he ate his cake and had it back. when you here that the man who designed Nigeria flag is left on cared for you will think he designed it for free. very boring flag.

Typical of a particular tribe.
OP.....i have always questioned the aesthistics of the flag too.....looking bland when placed beside other flags.....some idiots had to cuss you out and didnt even spare your ancestors...initially i was vexed on your behalf.....but when you brought tribalism into it i began to have a rethink that maybe you deserve every vile name they have been calling you

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by ChimaAdeoye: 10:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
Even Boko Haram flag is more ingenious grin
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by fluteman: 10:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
ChimaAdeoye: Even Boko Haram flag is more ingenious grin
never planned to comment in a thread started by an ignoramus and filled with iddiots, but I had to use this opportunity to finally ask why a hate filled Yoruba loathing flatty like ChimaAdeoye still keeps a Yoruba surname......y for heaven sake will a hater proudly keeps a name it hates, if not self delusion and a critically confused mind. We don't bloody care about your prejudiced feelings, but do bloody keep our name out of your skewed identity..

Let a dog be a dog, and a lion be a lion....never a cross btw. Bikonu

4 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by cocoduck: 11:04pm On Sep 30, 2014
kenny1795: you dey talk Chinese what of Japanese? A red dot
The origin of that red dot is Shinto. it signifies the sun.
They worship the sun in Shintoism. I think the name of the goddess is Amaterasu.
even the Japanese name for Japan which is Nihon means sun. it has a whole lot of history behind it. it is not like the so called green fvck green.
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by macklef(m): 11:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
The worst place to see the Nigerian Flag is in the police station. So dusty and ugly.
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Balkan(m): 4:19am On Oct 01, 2014
ikweremilitant: balkan hahahahaha my man i know sell anyland o,just that my wife put to birth 2dy.
in that case congrats, am happy for you. may be you can name the child independence. that is the kind of name from your region
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by PenSniper: 7:50am On Oct 01, 2014
The post was borne out of crass envy, jealousy and hatred, authored by an incorrigible bigot with a dirty mind, an idle hand, which is the devil's workshop, with poor english to boot. Nay, where were your 'ingenious' grand-fathers at the time of the contest ? If the totality of their ingenuity could not pass the test of time, then it follows that no generation of them would ever be celebrated because, once a failure, always a failure.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by ba7man(m): 7:58am On Oct 01, 2014
All the great nation's flags have somthing in common. They make use of these colours: Blue, Red and White.
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Balkan(m): 8:32am On Oct 01, 2014
Tayeni: OP.....i have always questioned the aesthistics of the flag too.....looking bland when placed beside other flags.....some idiots had to cuss you out and didnt even spare your ancestors...initially i was vexed on your behalf.....but when you brought tribalism into it i began to have a rethink that maybe you deserve every vile name they have been calling you
i never introduced tribalism in my statement. i dont care who got the award, but there was no brain work in the design
Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by pentagonal: 8:36am On Oct 01, 2014
Balkan: theirs make sense, they are muslim countries and green is an Islamic colour
Islam is synonymous with green.

how is green an Islamic colour?? another display of illiteracy cum lunacy.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by BOAR: 8:39am On Oct 01, 2014
Balkan: i never introduced tribalism in my statement. i dont care who got the award, but there was no brain work in the design

Where are the other entries submitted by your own people.

Anyone here that knows your antecedent in this forum will know where your hatred is borne out from, unfortunately your hatred doesn't affect those you hate passionately but you live in their midst.

5 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by BOAR: 8:45am On Oct 01, 2014
pentagonal:

how is green an Islamic colour?? another display of illiteracy cum lunacy.

Religion and tribal bigotry has really made these people very dumb and foolish!

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by pentagonal: 8:53am On Oct 01, 2014
BOAR:

Religion and tribal bigotry has really turned made these people very dumb and foolish!

imagine the low lifers scolding the fact that the Enugu international airport, was used to airlift pilgrims to mecca. their hatred for everything unlike them is not only nauseating but pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 01, 2014
Pls who designed the flag of that loser country that surrendered to general obasanjo? undecided

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Ingenuity In The Design Of Nigeria Flag. (akinkumi Over Celebrated) by Tayeni(m): 9:00am On Oct 01, 2014
i wish we could talk about the artistic merit of the flag without tribal sentiments. I'm happy the designer got the recognition.....cos designing the national flag is a big deal..but lets come back to the basics....the flag is not very "bright" speaking from an aesthetic point of view. Its so plain....compared with Jamaica's, South Africa's, UK's etc. Sentiments apart

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unbelievable: Ogun Records 15 Rape Cases Weekly – Official / BIAFRA: The Wind Of Biafra Blows In Agatu, Idoma Land- Pictures / 2019 Election : I Am Not Ready To Step Down ― Olawepo Hashim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.