Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,329 members, 7,888,046 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:12 PM

20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ (3806 Views)

10 Things Guys Say When Caught Cheating / 10 Things Women Say When They're Not Into You. / 10 Things Men Say When They Are Cheating!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 2:03am On Oct 04, 2014
It takes nerves of steel to say “I love you” to someone for the first time.
Sure, they could say they love you back, but what if the feeling is anything but mutual and they let you know in the most soul-crushing way possible?

Take, for instance, any one of the terrible, terrible responses in this list, culled from an Ask Reddit thread. Read what the Redditors had to say below —

1. “Take it back’ was said the other day to my friend’s face. Ouch.

2. “‘Wait…why?’ I’m sad to say that I’m the owner of this response.”

3. “And I love spending time with you!”

4. “My ex said ‘thank you’ and that was it. Shame ensued. There were a few moments of silence which I broke by saying ‘juuuuuust kiddinggggggg’ in a shaky, trying-not-to-cry voice and then we broke up a few days later.”

5. “‘Thank you’ is bad, but the worst has to be ‘thank you?’ stated as a question, dragged out in an awkward way, so their response is actually more like, ‘Why are you saying that? What am I supposed to say back? Am I supposed to be happy? Well, that’s not how I actually feel and now you ruined this relationship.’”

6. “I love me, too!”

7. “I’m sorry.”

8. “‘Oh….no.’ The tone of her voice sounded more disappointed than anything else. Sad day for me.”

9. “Yeah, you’re not too bad yourself.”

10. “Awesome sauce.”

11. “Via text: ‘K’ In person: ‘I love you too, like a brother/sister.’ On the phone

12. “In ninth grade, some girl said ‘I love you’ in front of a group of 8-10 of us. The guy replied, ‘You want fries with that?’ Devastating.”

13. “That’s… sweet.”

14. “‘I wish I loved you.’ Yeah, I got that once.”

15. “Woah, I thought this was just physical.”

16. “But I don’t love you.”

17. “Laughing.

18. “I know how you feel; I love someone, too.”

19. “Aww, crap.”

20. “‘The feeling is mutual.’

if you’ve ever been on the receiving end of any of these replies, my deepest, deepest condolences.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 04, 2014
Lol@ deepest condolence#
Ladies can be so mean.
Those replies are Prolly from them

2 Likes

Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Chanchit: 2:22am On Oct 04, 2014
Thats why its very hard for me to say that special word, but I've heard it few times in my short time on earth so I can understand what it feels like to respond when you don't feel same way.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by amakufrancis(m): 2:30am On Oct 04, 2014
numba 17 got me laughin.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by zappyj(m): 5:54am On Oct 04, 2014
Really funny, I love me too sha cheesy grin angry grin grin
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by MizEmpress(f): 6:21am On Oct 04, 2014
I say "thank you" to any other guy who says the words to me smiley that's the best way I know how to respond #shrugs
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by iceberylin(m): 7:03am On Oct 04, 2014
Ĩ ŴĨŚĤ Ĩ Ĺove ŶŐÚ

Ŷ ĔVĨĹŚ cry
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 04, 2014
LADIES DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IT. IF THEY HURT YOU THEY SMILE BUT IF U HURT THEM THEY WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by mesoade(m): 8:16am On Oct 04, 2014
Smallville10: LADIES DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IT. IF THEY HURT YOU THEY SMILE BUT IF U HURT THEM THEY WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU
it's same 4 both parties bro
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 04, 2014
mesoade: it's same 4 both parties bro
LADIES ARE WORSE
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by jashar(f): 8:32am On Oct 04, 2014
Hehehecheesy errmmm what about the response, 'NO P' or 'THaT'S GOOD OOO'
grin
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by 1one: 9:06am On Oct 04, 2014
The first time I thought I was in love was with a colleague.. I finally summoned courage one day to call her and tell her.. I was particularly motivated by all the "sweetheart"..." my love".. and other endearing names she was always using to call me anytime we did any work or task together and other subtle hints that I took to be "green light". .

So I called her up and was like -xkjfhhfjsheuhdbfbfhdbdbdbdbfh... I love you, she laughed softly and replied... You're not in love with me, you have a crush on me...I was so devastated!!! angry angry.

As much as I later found out to be true that I really just had a crush on her, I felt disappointed that she could make light of something so heavy that I'd been carrying in my mind for a relatively long period of time.. It's been almost 8years after that incidence and I've not and will never tell any girl those 3words until snow falls in lagos angry angry

5 Likes

Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 04, 2014
@op those ladies are just being sincere na.buh really,if a guy i dnt share d same feelings with professes love to me,am i actualli suppose to reciprocate it??or wuld u rather i say it,and be*yimuin u*in my mind?ladies hv stopped being liars o..

2 Likes

Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Afrok(m): 10:02am On Oct 04, 2014
I can take any of those responses but when the response is I LOVE U TWO, then u'll be like " me and who"? undecided na that moment ur heart go open see say na die Ur love dey cry
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by naijaboiy: 10:08am On Oct 04, 2014
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 04, 2014
@op so wot should we say huh?
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 04, 2014
MizEmpress: I say "thank you" to any other guy who says the words to me smiley that's the best way I know how to respond #shrugs

Someone telling you they love you is really flattering and you don't have to say you love them if you don't want to. You don't owe them anything if you feel differently.

BUT:

Thank You” What? Thank YOU? I tell you that I love you, and you tell me thank YOU?!?... Like seriously?... that's awkward. undecided
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 04, 2014
Ceasar1:

Someone telling you they love you is really flattering and you don't have to say you love them if you don't want to. You don't owe them anything if you feel differently.

BUT:

Thank You” What? Thank YOU? I tell you that I love you, and you tell me thank YOU?!?... Like seriously?... that's awkward. undecided
There is nothing awkward about it. I say it all the time. It just goes to show that I appreciate the love that person has for me. At least its better than replying with an "okay"
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 04, 2014
sholasholala:
There is nothing awkward about it. I say it all the time. It just goes to show that I appreciate the love that person has for me. At least its better than replying with an "okay"

Do you go on to tell them how important or special they are or do you just cut it short by saying thank you?...

See, what I'm after is clarity. If love isn't on the card, just rap it straight; make it clear what I do mean to you and make me feel valued.

Saying ‘thank You’ can leave me stunt with a thousand definitions. And I want to be safe from any emotional ache.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by MizEmpress(f): 12:16pm On Oct 04, 2014
Ceasar1:

BUT:

yea, that's what I say and the unsaid part is: "I'm sorry I can't say I love you too because I don't, you should understand." and I'm sure you/any other guy wouldn't like to hear this instead right??
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 04, 2014
Ceasar1:

Do you go on to tell them how important or special they are or do you just cut it short by saying thank you?...

See, what I'm after is clarity. If love isn't on the card, just rap it straight; make it clear what I do mean to you and make me feel valued.

Saying ‘thank You’ can leave me stunt with a thousand definitions. And I want to be safe from any emotional ache.
Lol.

I don't usually go on telling "them" how important they are. I just say "aaawwww thank you, you are so nice" (for those I kinda like) but if I don't like you, I just say thank you (with a straight face of course).
But I don't hesitate to say "I love you too" to those I love.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Tovot: 12:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
Chai! See painment tongue , the lady knew all along you had a crush on her na, would you have preffered it if she lied to you that she loved you and hurt you even more?
1one:
The first time I thought I was in love was with a colleague.. I finally summoned courage one day to call her and tell her.. I was particularly motivated by all the "sweetheart"..." my love".. and other endearing names she was always using to call me anytime we did any work or task together and other subtle hints that I took to be "green light". .

So I called her up and was like -xkjfhhfjsheuhdbfbfhdbdbdbdbfh... I love you, she laughed softly and replied... You're not in love with me, you have a crush on me...I was so devastated!!! angry angry.

As much as I later found out to be true that I really just had a crush on her, I felt disappointed that she could make light of something so heavy that I'd been carrying in my mind for a relatively long period of time.. It's been almost 8years after that incidence and I've not and will never tell any girl those 3words until snow falls in lagos angry angry
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Tovot: 12:53pm On Oct 04, 2014
If someone tells me he/she loves me , I ld say thank you. Not that I am trying to make you feel bad or under-rated. But if I DO NOT love you, I am not under ANY obligation whatsover to tell you that I love you. Jeez, it would be a lie. There is no rule that says when someone tells you 'I love you' , you should say it back. smiley smiley smiley
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by 1one: 12:54pm On Oct 04, 2014
Tovot:
Chai! See painment tongue , the lady knew all along you had a crush on her na, would you have preffered it if she lied to you that she lovedi you and hurt you even more?

Naah.. Not at all, I just didn't like the way she put it, without any form of consolation... If she had gone on to say.. Errrm you're a great guy blah blah but I don't think we should rush into things now.. Love is just way too deep for me to handle at this point.... Something like that would have been better, instead of her being so brash with the "You don't love me, you have a crush on me"
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Tovot: 12:59pm On Oct 04, 2014
I understand what you are saying. But all that is story abeg. She didnt want to have anything to do with you relationship wise, so she didnt owe you any explanation.
1one:

Naah.. Not at all, I just didn't like the way she put it, without any form of consolation... If she had gone on to say.. Errrm you're a great guy blah blah but I don't think we should rush into things now.. Love is just way too deep for me to handle at this point.... Something like that would have been better, instead of her being so brash with the "You don't love me, you have a crush on me"
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
sholasholala:

Lol.

I don't usually go on telling "them" how important they are. I just say "aaawwww thank you, you are so nice" (for those I kinda like) but if I don't like you, I just say thank you (with a straight face of course).
But I don't hesitate to say "I love you too" to those I love.

*Straightens face.*

Now that's better. The facial expression is there for me them to read. Smiles can be deceiving though but I love it when peeps are straight with me. smiley
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by 1one: 1:04pm On Oct 04, 2014
Tovot:
I understand what you are saying. But all that is story abeg. She didnt want to have anything to do with you relationship wise, so she didnt owe you any explanation.

Well fair enough.. I think at least for "courtesy sake" she could have been more diplomatic.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by GlorifiedTunde(m): 1:05pm On Oct 04, 2014
Guy: I love u

Girl: Eeya grin

Reasons why relationships are the way they are unveiled >>>>

https://www.nairaland.com/1932803/greatest-cause-failed-relationships-marriage
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by Tovot: 1:10pm On Oct 04, 2014
Yeah true, some ladies can be very insensitive. Pele. But that doesnt mean every lady is like that.
1one:

Well fair enough.. I think at least for "courtesy sake" she could have been more diplomatic.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by 1one: 1:16pm On Oct 04, 2014
Tovot:
Yeah true, some ladies can be very insensitive. Pele. But that doesnt mean every lady is like that.

Ose... I've not made such mistake again sha.. Lesson learnt smiley
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by dre11(m): 1:33pm On Oct 04, 2014
If the op means replying with the phrase...... That's sweet is wrong...

Then I don't know which other phrase will be the right word then
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says ‘I Love You’ by xenaxena(f): 2:44pm On Oct 04, 2014
I said "thank you" to a guy wen I didn't knw wot to say.......I said "I love youtube" to my ex.....it took him a while to get it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Plan To Spend Your Valentine's Day? / Her 1st Time Doing It / Worst Thing That Was Said Or Done To You By The Opp Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.