Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,084 members, 7,880,386 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:16 PM

Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! (3520 Views)

My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / After Entering The Building To Declare His Intentions, The Wine Bottle Broke / My Registry & Traditional Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Kirinwa: 3:05pm On Oct 05, 2014
This question is directed at married men to know if they actually drank the cup of wine given by their wives?

This is borne out of concern over poison issues associated with such drinks especially in Nigeria.
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Gratia(f): 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2014
So it's the woman that deserves to drink the poison/drink alone?

so you will return the glass of wine without drinking from it back to the bride's father?

Honestly this your question doesn't make sense.

3 Likes

Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by saintvc(m): 10:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
What if i dont drink alchohol?
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by MARKone(m): 11:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
you drink, she drinks

you die, she dies.

...so the man should be safe from poisoning that present moment.

doesn't mean it may not be attempted in future grin
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Kirinwa: 5:54am On Oct 06, 2014
Gratia:

so you will return the glass of wine without drinking from it back to the bride's father?

She doesn't have to drink it. She simply puts it to her mouth, gives to her man who pours it on the floor, puts money in it and they can dance to girl's father or her representative for blessing.
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by sassygal(f): 6:43am On Oct 06, 2014
Reminds me of a trad 2 years ago in Nri, Anambra.

The groom does not drink alcohol, we didn't even consider that as would have substituted the palmwine with lime juice or milky water, and so when presented with the cup from his bride he shook his head and made to return the cup still full, his friend knowing the consequences, drank the palmwine quickly on his behalf and that's when trouble started.
The bride's people rejected and ceremony disrupted. Took over 30 minutes of begging and paying fine before we could continue.

I couldn't fault the suspicious groom though, he was scared they were fetish, despite being igbo.

1 Like

Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Gratia(f): 8:55am On Oct 06, 2014
Kirinwa:

She doesn't have to drink it. She simply puts it to her mouth, gives to her man who pours it on the floor, puts money in it and they can dance to girl's father or her representative for blessing.

From part of Igbo I come from, you must drink it.

if you don't take alcoholic drink, you should let your inlaw know so that it would be substituted with non-alcoholic wine.

If you know who you are as a Christian why should you be afraid of poison?

1 Like

Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Kirinwa: 9:30am On Oct 06, 2014
Gratia:

From part of Igbo I come from, you must drink it.

if you don't take alcoholic drink, you should let your inlaw know so that it would be substituted with non-alcoholic wine.

If you know who you are as a Christian why should you be afraid of poison?

What if the uncle that gave you the wine is a wicked man who doesn't want your happiness. Anyway experience is the best teacher.
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Kirinwa: 9:38am On Oct 06, 2014
sassygal:

The groom does not drink alcohol, we didn't even consider that as would have substituted the palmwine with lime juice or milky water, and so when presented with the cup from his bride he shook his head and made to return the cup still full, his friend knowing the consequences, drank the palmwine quickly on his behalf and that's when trouble started.
The bride's people rejected and ceremony disrupted. Took over 30 minutes of begging and paying fine before we could continue.

I couldn't fault the suspicious groom though, he was scared they were fetish, despite being igbo.

Which consequences ke? Pour the wine away so fast and lick your lips.This kind tin is even easier if the groom is sitting in a hidden place which is normally the case as the girl has to look for him.Who cares if he drank or not?

Last Bullet: That friend sha. grin
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 06, 2014
Gratia:

It makes sense. My wife and her brother told me not to drink d wine. I actually poured it away in full glare of everyone. I felt embarrassed but what would I do. One can't vouch for the source of the palmwine.

1 Like

Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Kirinwa: 10:27am On Oct 06, 2014
Gaggi:

It makes sense. My wife and her brother told me not to drink d wine. I actually poured it away in full glare of everyone. I felt embarrassed but what would I do. One can't vouch for the source of the palmwine.

My brother it shows they care about you. That's some of the things to know good in-laws. They try to protect you from others exploitation especially during the trado marriage.

As for embarrassment, its only the living that think about. Its nothing compared to what they feared would happen.
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by MisterPeterJohn: 7:44pm On Aug 24, 2015
This thread is interesting as it raises key issues: fear of poison, fear of jazz and cases like the groom in the post below who does not drink alcohol.

Unfortunately, there doe snot seem to be agreement on the best way to handle the issue.

sassygal, I don't get your post.

When you said: "his friend knowing the consequences," what consequences are you referring to? And these "consequences" are to whom - the groom or the groom's friend.

sassygal:

Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by MisterPeterJohn: 7:45pm On Aug 24, 2015
Kirinwa:

Which consequences ke? Pour the wine away so fast and lick your lips.This kind tin is even easier if the groom is sitting in a hidden place which is normally the case as the girl has to look for him.Who cares if he drank or not?

Last Bullet: That friend sha. grin

I dont understand, what did the friend do?
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 24, 2015
Paranoia at its peak. Your relation poisoning you in full glare of the public shows that you're from a family of witches and wizard and inherently wicked scum of the earth, and there is a huge chance that the gene is running haywire in you too.

Too much of Nollywood and disturbing trance-induced prayer point of some moneyspinning pastor-conmen.

2 Likes

Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Phut(f): 10:13pm On Aug 24, 2015
LadyFiona:
Paranoia at its peak. Your relation poisoning you in full glare of the public shows that you're from a family of witches and wizard and inherently wicked scum of the earth, and there is a huge chance that the gene is running haywire in you too.

Too much of Nollywood and disturbing trance-induced prayer point of some moneyspinning pastor-conmen.

1 million likes
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by MisterPeterJohn: 11:43pm On Aug 24, 2015
Gaggi:

Is there any symbolic significance to pouring away the wine? Could this be interpreted to mean rejecting the bride?
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by remsonik(f): 6:42am On Aug 25, 2015
For you to even think this that means you too can do that when the time comes. I will always be scared of a man who walks on eggshells and extra careful around me or my family. If my father pours you wine and you won't drink for what? Wine is opened in your presence,poured in your presence.
Well where I come from the wife does the serving

1 Like

Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 25, 2015
Gaggi:

Same here.. when I did my trad in Anambra State, me and my husband didn't take the palm wine. . His friend simply collected it from him and poured away..
In my village, nobody cares if you drink or not but you must return the cup with money....
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by MisterPeterJohn: 1:14pm On Aug 25, 2015
So we have one case where a friend drank the entire wine. In your case, the friend of your husband poured away the wine. It seems there i sno consensus on what to do.

Is this because of fear of jazz or poison?

Is there any significance to a friend drinking or pouring away the wine.

By the way, why is the cup returned with money?

MarvellousGod:
Same here.. when I did my trad in Anambra State, me and my husband didn't take the palm wine. . His friend simply collected it from him and poured away..
In my village, nobody cares if you drink or not but you must return the cup with money....
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Adaezeagu(f): 5:20pm On Aug 25, 2015
Stylishly pour the wine away
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by tpiander: 5:38pm On Aug 25, 2015
Kirinwa:

This is borne out of concern over poison issues associated with such drinks especially in Nigeria.

lord have mercy.
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by tpiander: 5:41pm On Aug 25, 2015
Kirinwa:

This kind tin is even easier if the groom is sitting in a hidden place which is normally the case as the girl has to look for him.

which culture is this?

nairaland just seems to be mish mashing different cultures without acknowledging what the culture is or the point of reference.
Re: Did You Drink The Wine During Traditional Wedding?! by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 25, 2015
tpiander:

which culture is this?

nairaland just seems to be mish mashing different cultures without acknowledging what the culture is or the point of reference.
Not really a hidden place per se.
but he won't sit where he can be seen easily. he comes out with the bride and empty cup, that's how it is done in Igbo land.
so the poster ain't wrong.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Should I Compel My Wife To Resign / Family Joke Of The Day. (picture) / The Background, Purpose and Character Of Witchcraft/Wizard Hunting in N

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.