Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,023 members, 7,890,361 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:03 PM

ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) (33429 Views)

"76" Movie: Rita Dominic,Ramsey Nouah, Ibinabo Fiberesima, Chidi Mokeme Staring / New 2015 Movie By Two Nairalanders - Dyoungstar & Umanu / Funmi Iyanda - NTA Shut-down My Show For Interviewing A Gay Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Misogynist2014(m): 7:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
Bitojoe:

when you s3x that kind of woman,you will know how it take concerns you.
It actually does not concern him. angry
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Misogynist2014(m): 7:16pm On Oct 15, 2014
tchidi:

No, the term 'circumcision' has been removed to give it the real meaning 'mutilation'!! Medicalization (doing it in the hospital) does not change the fact that its a terrible practice. Its narrows 'there' and makes child birth, s€x and sometimes urination and menstruation (for extreme cases like the type 3) very difficult. Just 'Type 1' removes the cl|toris, some takes off the Labia minora!... Its really a sad picture...
The irony of what you've written down is that female(even male) circumcision is performed by CIRCUMCISED WOMEN!!! wink
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by cecildeeva: 7:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
Good to know shocked
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Vikky014(f): 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
shocked
Keneking:
ok
dis one u didnt type JONATHAN TODAY?
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Vikky014(f): 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by dolafunmi(f): 7:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
kennygee:
A Movie for a worthy cause,

not some of the garbage they dish out to us these days.

"Twitter babes", i almost wept when i stumbled on the title.
Lol....
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Bitojoe(m): 7:42pm On Oct 15, 2014
Misogynist2014:
It actually does not concern him. angry

he actualy doesn't know how bad it is when a woman laying down or acted as if she's a status on bed during kerewa.just imaging a man doing the job alone without she assisting him

1 Like

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by ojsmscom(m): 9:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
lilprinze:
Genital Mutilation is mostly or only practiced in Africa .

yes u [color=#006600][/color]ar rit
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by nex(m): 9:51pm On Oct 15, 2014
Even right now, the matter of Female Genital Mutilation persists. It will take every sane member of the Nigerian society to put an end to it. Currently, there is a case in Ekiti State where a mother is desperately trying to pull her daughter from under the knife. I enjoin you all to do whatever you can, especially those in her vicinity to protect

[size=20pt]In Ekiti community, mum’s refusal to have her 5-year-old daughter circumcised tears families apart[/size]

■ I don’t want my daughter to suffer the consequences of circumcision like I did –Mum
■ Her circumcision is a must as tradition demands –Dad’s family

Against the back­ground of a child Rights Law that guides against harmful cultural practices on children in Ekiti State, two families: the royal family of Olaoye in Ushi-Ekiti and the Oyenekan family are at loggerheads over the circum­cision of a 5-year-old girl. The once rosy relationship between both families has now turned sour following a disagreement over the circumcision of their 5-year-old daughter, (name of baby withheld).

Miss Olufunke Oyenekan, mother of the 5-year old girl and fiancee to Mr. Emmanuel Olaoye, son of the Olaoyes, a royal family in Ushi-Ekiti, Ekiti State, had disagreed with the Olaoyes over their decision to perform the traditional circumcision rites on her daughter. The woman, sensing that her husband’s family wanted to perform the rites by all means, fled with her child from the Olaoye’s family house in Ushi Ekiti in 2012 and her whereabouts has since remain unknown.

Recently, the Olaoye family again raised the alarm through a representative, identified as Chief Olu Olaoye over the sudden disappear­ance of Olufunke and her daughter. The family said that their son’s fiancee did not mean well for the family by preventing them from per­forming the circumcision rites on the child. Their explana­tion is that it is a mandatory cultural practice to have all their children circumcised, moreso that theirs is a royal family whose duty it is to preserve the cultural heritage of the people of Ushi Ekiti in order to set an example for the people.

“She (Olufunke) is not helping us, neither is she helping our daughter she has taken away. There are certain cultural practices that we adhere to in our land, some are avoidable while others are not. This practice of circum­cision is part of the unavoid­able ones. Olufunke cannot prevent us from carrying out cultural and traditional rites on our own blood. It is a must that we do the circumcision rites for the girl. Moreso, that the child is a princess, a daughter from the royal fami­ly of Ushi Ekiti and possibly a future regent!.

“We have told them (Olu­funke’s family) that they must ensure that they produce her because she cannot prevent us from performing our tradi­tional duties. She must bring our daughter for the circum­cision rites, “ he said, fuming with anger.

Meanwhile, Olufunke has vowed not to allow anyone, even if it is her husband, to carry out any circumcision rites on her daughter. A mem­ber of her family, who spoke to Sunday Sun on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the matter, said: “As for the Oyenekan family, we have no problem with whatever the Olaoye family wants to do with their daughter. In our part of the world, it is the man who owns the child and has the final say over him or her. But our daughter, Olufunke is more western-oriented than many of us. She has vowed not to allow any circumcision for her daughter. She says the practice might have an adverse effect on the girl in the future. We would have been able to intervene in the matter to ensure that peace reigns but right now, I can swear to you that we do not even know the whereabouts of Olufunke and her child. In fact, we learnt that her older son has also joined his mum where she was but we do not have any idea of where that is. There was a time she took refuge with their pastor in a church in Abeokuta. The pas­tor assisted in getting the hu­man rights group to intervene for peaceful resolution of the matter, but the fiance’ family became violent about the mat­ter, they wanted to get their daughter by all means. We learnt that Olufunke narrowly escaped the attack on her and ran off with her daughter. We can only appeal to our in-laws to exercise patience on this issue till God makes Olufun­ke to come back, right now, there is nothing anyone can do.”, the man said.

Speaking on phone to the Sunday Sun, Mr. Emmanuel Olaoye, fiancé to Olufunke, narrated how the trouble over the circumcision rites started, his words: “My fiancée, Olu­funke Oyenekan and I met in February14,2006 and we love each other but haven’t mar­ried legally. We were co-habit­ting and eventually had two kids. A boy and a girl.

“Things went on smooth­ly between us till I lost my father who was a traditional ruler in Ushi Ekiti, my home town. I received the message of the death of our royal fa­ther and was told I had been picked as his successor. So, I went home for the burial rites and took my wife-to-be and our children with me, actually to ensure that my extended family get to know her. We travelled to Ushi Ekiti in Jan­uary 1,2012.

“However, we didn’t know that a shocker was awaiting us at Ushi-Ekiti. My family demanded that we submit our children for circumcision rites.

Funke, my wife-to-be, didn’t like this arrangement at all. She didn’t particularly want our daughter, who was then two years and four months old to be circumcised as she said she didn’t like what she experience as a woman who was circumcised by her par­ents when she was young.

“But my people won’t be persuaded to spare our daughter of the treatment because our tradition forbids any of our blood not being administered the circumci­sion rites.

“My fiancée has since fled with our daughter since the disagreement in Ushi-Ekiti. As I’m going to succeed my late father as the traditional ruler of our town, it becomes more mandatory for my children to be circumcised. Here in our land, it is part of the prerequisites of a king-to-be to have all his children circumcised. We really do not have a choice here. But my fiancee sees the practice as barbaric and outdated. She won’t have any of it for our daughter. “ “That is why she ran away with our daughter. Our son has also joined her where she is. I want to be­lieve her people arranged her escape and know her where­abouts but they are claiming ignorance of it. We once heard she was in a pastor’s custody in one Bethel Love Church in Abeokuta, Ogun State. My people went there but she escaped from them and fled to an unknown place with the children and hasn’t been seen since then. I’m just confused about the whole development, “ Olaoye said, wearing a defeated, melan­choly look.
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
priscaoge:

Grow up my dear. This thread is not 4 kids wink
No wahala na ... Thanks for hyping what happened ..... !! Hmmm, Nairalanders can lie o ooo !! grin
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Foreverglow(f): 9:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
This is a very sensitive subject for me, well done for the hardworking and talented geniuses who push out great films like this.
No girl in any culture, race and place deserves to be circumised!

3 Likes

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 10:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
Misogynist2014:
http://islamqa.info/en/45528
Thanks for the insight and education ... They are very much useful !!! ..... It is also good to know that female circumcision is not wajib(Obligatory) but mustahaab(encouraged) due to the health and cleanliness issues involved !!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
dhammyg:

U ARE THE ONE THAT IS STUP!Dangry ANYONE WHO SUPPORTS FEMALE CIRCUMCISION IS A HEARTLESS CRIMINALangryangry
lemme just pardon ur ignorance

1 Like

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by fightforchange1(f): 10:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
a must see....!!!!1
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 15, 2014
XKZ:

So because she doesn't blindly accept your views she's now a disgrace?
So what does that make someone like you who parrots the opinions of others even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Thanks bro..

1 Like

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by XKZ(m): 10:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
Intacta:
Thanks bro..

You're welcome.

Intacta:
lemme just pardon ur ignorance

Very generous of you.
For they know not what they do...
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
XKZ:

You're welcome.

For they know not what they do...
Exactly
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by haymoney01(m): 2:12am On Oct 16, 2014
Pls, y are they mutılated and wat are the dangers
priscaoge:
Female genital mutilation is a barbaric act that should be abolished in our society. Even after d circumcision, many girls have died of excessive bleeding or tetanus, and some have been left with long-term health complications like stench, difficulty during childbirth, difficulty urinating, dripping, severe menstrual pains, and infertility. Some also find it very difficult to reach climax during intercourse angry angry One girl in department when I was in school swear never to forgive her mother. She was circumcised when She was an infant. She will always complain of not having urge for S3x and that She doesn't enjoy s3x Or feel her husband. She keep having problem with her husband cos of that issue. I still wonder Who gave people that silly idea of circumcising their daughters undecided undecided
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by mimix: 8:01am On Oct 16, 2014
Please is this movie in English language?

1 Like

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by flakydee(f): 9:02am On Oct 16, 2014
Evil practice,we must all agree and also kick against,especially when we say we are educated.so sick of this plsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

2 Likes

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 16, 2014
I don't know this still exist tho.. Well it a nice movie to watch out for and I pray the FGM ll be eradicated permanently like d killing of twine

2 Likes

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by redsun(m): 8:22am On Oct 17, 2014
Does male circumcision pre dates Christianity/Islam in Africa? The Jews tend to lay claim to it as the origintors,but I am sure Africans were well into it before the invasion of foreign cultures.
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Abiagirl777(f): 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2014
I once had a roomie ifrom imo state who told me she was circumscised and was also going to do same to her girls,i was appalled not only because her parents were educated,she was srudying publuc health technogy then,she said its their culture n compylsory.
Linda ikeji too was circumscised,i just pray its not de reason why Genevive and Rita Dominic are yet to marry
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by MarieSucre(f): 9:44am On Oct 18, 2014
Misogynist2014:
It is called circumcision, not mutilation. It is done for both male and female, in fact, it has same effect on both males and females. Female circumcision is done everywhere in the world, including America. If properly done, it has no harmful effect on women(would have been stopped centuries ago, if its bad.Its a lie that it affects female sex life, since its not the only G-Spöt) Female circumcision is very important, since its about cutting off clïtorïs(functions like pènìs) which appears in female, due to the fact that they are not genetically good enough to grow a male organ. Search the rest on Google tongue .
Of course It is wiser to believe a man who got his info on the internet to women who have actually experienced it /s
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by MarieSucre(f): 9:57am On Oct 18, 2014
The only thing that should be cut from a child is its umblical cord, let the adult that child becomes decide if he/she wants to cut their labia majora or right ear shikena.
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 12:25am On Oct 19, 2014
nex:
I spent a whole afternoon with the beautiful Funmi Fiberesima somewhere quiet in Lekki, and it was simply one of those occasions in real life we all wished had a replay button. Our chat bordered on everything in the entertainment industry, with a degree of focus on her new movie which premiered the weekend before.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-hmaAPucRVkc/VDQ_zi6y0nI/AAAAAAAACBg/RE39VjUzkD0/s1600/Onikola.jpg[/img]

ONIKOLA doesn't just touch on a most critical issue which is mostly muted by our society, but dissects the web of complications shrouding that most vile culture of butchering the vagina of little girls, using Kumbi (played by Funmilayo Fiberesima) as a case study.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-izzWdOwQ8gU/VDREKcGWlxI/AAAAAAAACBs/jCJT0S8Lxtw/s1600/Funmi%2BFibresima%40%2Bthe%2Bpremiere%2Bof%2BOnikola.jpg[/img]

Most people see female genital mutilation in the same spectrum as child witch-hunting, but to me, it is far worse. At least the so-called child witches are accused of something! Those girls have no clue why they are so painfully being sexually deactivated for life.

[flash=720,600]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br_dzULSpK4[/flash]

ONIKOLA literally means The One Who Marks (the circumciser), and this movie centres on Kumbi's rejection of being mutilated, while making reference to Omosewa (played by Ronke Ojo) who has been circumcised, and faces the torment of living with her scars of frigidity.

One thing this film doesn't do is belabour every scene with the message of FGM. It truly is an entertaining masterpiece featuring other actors as Ibrahim Chatta, Sunday Afolabi and veterans like Dejumo Lewis, Bunmi Olatilewa and Tola Oladokun.

Shooting started in February 2012, and by August last year, I promised this movie was worth waiting for. It premiered at the Ikeja City Mall on Sunday, October 3rd, and goes to DVD. Attending the premiere were the heavyweights of the Nigerian movie industry, particularly stars of the Yoruba genre. Get the DVD, watch it, enjoy it, learn, and thank me later. You can't possible go wrong with a movie written by Gbenga Adesanya, Steve Anu Adesemoye, and Abosede Oshin.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-Rdiyu7-S9p8/VDQztZq0GzI/AAAAAAAACAU/hPgDtVW_BVA/s1600/The%2Bcast%2Bof%2BOnikola%2C%2BFrom%2BLeft%2BBunmi%2BOlatilewa%2C%2BSunday%2BAfolabi%2C%2BFunmi%2BFibresima%2Band%2BYinka%2BSalau.JPG[/img]

The cast of Onikola, From Left Bunmi Olatilewa, Sunday Afolabi, Funmi Fibresima and Yinka Salau

[img]http://3.bp..com/-pV3vl568SNg/VDQ1He4UITI/AAAAAAAACAg/iChGGAq4txg/s1600/Kunle%2BAfolayan%2Band%2BYinka%2BSalau.JPG[/img]
Kunle Afolayan and Yinka Salau

[img]http://4.bp..com/-YZwhdpf2VnY/VDQ19M389PI/AAAAAAAACAw/bVNHd0k6K5w/s1600/DSC_1345.JPG[/img]
Guests

[img]http://4.bp..com/-t1VNA7liNr4/VDQ1jz4TIdI/AAAAAAAACAo/7HYqnVrt0Y4/s1600/DSC_1341.JPG[/img]
Tomiwa Kukoyi

[img]http://3.bp..com/-Uo4kh7ZXcSk/VDQ5t63VnWI/AAAAAAAACBI/3HFODP0V9hM/s1600/Essence%2C%2BFunmi%2BFibresima%40%2Bthe%2Bpremiere%2Bof%2BOnikola.jpg[/img]
Essence with Funmi Fiberesima

[img]http://1.bp..com/-ewk7FJ0YDRk/VDQ4AnX1-dI/AAAAAAAACA8/WuZfEYNDUQo/s1600/DSC_1445.JPG[/img]
Collins Talker

Please What code did you use to embed the YouTube video,normal HTML doesn't work on nairaland. I have been trying to embed YouTube videos to no .avail,Please help. Thanks
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by kudiice(m): 8:41am On Oct 28, 2014
I once saw a documentary on female circumcission in the western part of Nigeria that made me cry for real. Some of those innocent ladies never get to know the pleasure of sex because their live makers have been damaged due to some ill dogma and belief. Very traggic wallahi.
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by barrysome001: 10:56pm On Dec 12, 2015
This film is an evergreen,I am male tho but indeed the message was well passed across so tey...it got to me,well delivered.
This film is dope,the story was well told,excellent casting,well directed, I am pleased to be privileged to watch this, aunty Funmi Fiberesima I love you,I love your work(Onikola)....more grace!

All those Yeye girls wey dey do stupid films seeking fame should learn from your dexterity, It is possible to be known for SENSE!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija Star, Frodd And Wife Welcome Baby Girl (Photos) / Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” / BBNaija: Tacha Advises Khafi: "Gedoni Is A Uniport Boy, Don't Mess With Him"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.