Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,854 members, 7,924,745 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 08:26 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (107) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (712197 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by abutrekka: 7:22am On Dec 12, 2015
Saturday Picks and predictions, visit www.trekbet..com.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:58am On Dec 12, 2015
Jaypea98:

Where is Sokari Kingsley?

Well, Sokari Kingsley will not make my team if I consider talent over sentiment. The players I picked tower above him.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:14pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria's Dream Team fired up after they are paid
[/size]

Nigeria U23 striker Junior Ajayi (left) will now be going for goal in U23 AFCON final against Algeria tonight

Nigeria will now be fired up for tonight’s U23 AFCON final against Algeria after they were paid all their bonuses and camp allowances in Dakar, Senegal, in Naira.

“We have been paid finally!,” screamed one of the delighted players.

“Algeria, now you are in trouble!”

They were paid the Naira equivalent of $3,000-a-man for the semi-final win over hosts Senegal, $2,000-a-man for the opening-day win over Mali, and $1,000 for the draws with Egypt and Algeria.

They were also paid $100 per day for the 10 days they trained in The Gambia prior to the U23 AFCON in next-door Senegal.

However, the bonus for the goalless draw with Congo Brazzaville in the qualifiers was not paid.

In the meantime, both Alhassan Yakmut from the National Sports Commission (NSC) and the new sports ministry permanent secretary are in Dakar to cheer the team to victory this night.

Tonight’s final will kick off at 8pm Nigerian time at the Leopold Sedar Senghor Stadium in Dakar.
http://mtnfootball.com/news/593060/Nigerias-Dream-Team-fired-up-after-they-are-paid
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:14pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Fit-Again Awoniyi Keen On U-23 AFCON Final Start
[/size]

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Taiwo Awoniyi is optimistic that he will be fit to make Nigeria'a starting line-up in Saturday's CAF U-23 Cup of Nations final against Algeria at the Leopold Sengar Stadium in Dakar.

The Germany-based striker spoke exclusively to Completesportsnigeria.com from the team's camp on the state of his ankle injury sustained in the 0-0 draw against Algeria in the group stages.

"I'm feeling much better and will be ready for the final," Awoniyi said.

"The injury has healed fast and I thank God for that. I hope to start in the final. It is the coach's decision anyway; he decides who starts or not. But I'm now alright."

Algeria broke a 35-year-old jinx to book a ticket to the football tournament of the Olympics while Nigeria became the first African nation to wait the gold medal in football in 1996. They won silver in 2008 with current team coach Samson Siasia in charge of the team to the Beijing Olympics seven years ago.

The Nigeria-Algeria final kicks off 8pm Nigerian time on Saturday. It will be preceded by the third-place final between hosts, Senegal, and South Africa at 5pm.

Nigeria, Algeria and one of Senegal or South Africa will represent Africa in Rio de Janeiro while the fourth-placed team will be involved in a play-off.

En savoir plus sur http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/fit-again-awoniyi-keen-u-23-afcon-final-start/#UVqqDBfCvZTM3Bcw.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:18pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Algeria Coach: We’ll Take Our Chances In U-23 AFCON Final
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Algeria U-23 coach Pierre-Andre Schurman has said that they will approach the final of the U-23 Cup of Nations against Nigeria differently.

Schurman told CAF official website that the final will be a different ball game entirely.

"The final will never be the same (like the meeting at the group phase)," he said. "It is a different game and we will have a different philosophy because it is an important game for the two coaches.

"We will focus on our strategy. Every coach would like to go offensive but the basic is defence. When you are building a house, you need a strong foundation to support it.

"The differences will be the goals scored and once you have an opportunity, you have to score."

He stated that their number one objective was to qualify for the Olympics after a 35-year wait.

"Our mission was to qualify for the Olympic Games and it is done. I congratulate my players and staff on that.

"Our qualification is historic in the sense that it has been 35 years since Algeria last qualified for the Olympic Games. It was worth it and for a coach from a country like Switzerland, it is quiet weird," Schurman said.

En savoir plus sur http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/algeria-coach-chances-u-23-afcon-final/#x6hhy1HLkRSZIIDq.99
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:18pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nwofor, Umar On Target; Ikeme Can’t Stop Forest
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Nigerian forward Uche Nwofor scored his first league goal for Boavista in their 1-1 home draw against Estoril who had Anderson Esiti on the bench.

Nwofor, whose Nigerian team-mates Gabriel Reuben and Michael Uchebo did not feature in the game, struck in the 25th minute to put Boavista 1-0 up.

He was later replaced by Emmanuel Hackman in the 37th minute.

In Turkey, Nigerian striker Aminu Umar also opened his goal account for Osmanlispor who beat Bursaspor 4-0 away from home.

Umar scored with six minutes remaining to make it 4-0 for Osmanlispor.

Other scorers for Osmanlispor were Alioune Ndiaye (brace) and Raul Andrei Rusescu.

In the English Championship, Super Eagles keeper Carl Ikeme was in goal for Wolverhampton Wanderers but failed to keep a clean sheet as they played 1-1 against visiting Nottingham Forest.

Ethan Ebanks-Landell gave Wolves the lead on 15 minutes before Dexter Blackstock equalized for Forest with 10 minutes left.

At Ewood Park, Nigerian midfielder Hope Akpan made an appearance for Blackburn who beat Rotherham United 1-0.

A Luke Hyam 30th minute own-goal, sealed the win for Blackburn.

And in Belgium, Nigerian defender Wilfred Ndidi was on for 90 minutes as Genk held homers Westerlo to a 0-0 draw.

En savoir plus sur http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nwofor-umar-target-ikeme-stop-forest/#lTpjhmgHmjD2uRMQ.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:21pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
U-23 AFCON: Okocha Backs Nigeria To Win “Tough” Final
[/size]

By David Meshioye:

Former Super Eagles skipper Austin JayJay Okocha has warned that Saturday’s U-23 Africa Cup of Nations final between Nigeria and Algeria will not be a stroll in the park for Siasia’s men.

In an exclusive chat with Completesportsnigeria.com on Friday, the former Bolton Wanderers playmaker hinged his submission on the pedigree of the Algerian team, which he described as a tactically sound side armed with a wealth of experience

He however expressed his confidence in the ability of coach Samson Siasia to come up with a formation aimed at checkmating the Algerians.

The Atlanta 96 Olympics gold medallist lauded coach Siasia for keeping himself abreast with the modern trends of the game over the years, adding that his (Siasia) technical savvy coupled with his experience in major finals will be enough to see Nigeria emerged as champions of the competition.

“We all know that playing against the host nation is always difficult. I think the Nigerian team did very well because at the end of the day what really matters is the result and that is what they have been: getting good results,” Okocha told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“I think he is well equipped for this kind of tournament. He has played in so many finals, I feel it is all about getting it right on match day; adopt the right tactics and approach

“It is just one game left, I think they just focus on that game and play their hearts out, which I believe if they do, they will carry the day against the Algerians.”

En savoir plus sur http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/u-23-afcon-okocha-backs-nigeria-win-tough-final/#Zx2qOgcF77ULruW6.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:26pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
U-23 Eagles To Get $4,000 For AFCON Final Win
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:

Each member of the U-23 Eagles will get $4,000 as win bonus should they beat Algeria in Saturday's final at the Africa U-23 Nations Cup, Completesportsnigeria.com can report.

Completesportsnigeria.com also learnt from a reliable source within the team's camp that the players were in boisterous mood ahead of the game after they were paid their outstanding bonuses and allowances.

Samson Siasia's charges have already secured qualification to the football event of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, but are looking to win the competition for the first time.

It will be the second time they will come up against Algeria in the competition after both sides battled to a goalless in the group stage.

The game which will be played at Stade Leopold Sedar Senghor Stadium from 8pm Nigerian time will preceded by the third place match between hosts Senegal and South Africa.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/u-23-eagles-4000-afcon-final-win/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:32pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Etim Esin: Siasia Can Lead U-23 Eagles To Olympic Gold
[/size]

Ex-Super Eagles star, Etim Esin, says he is impressed with the performance of the U-23 Eagles at the CAF U-23 Africa Cup of Nations in Senegal as he charges the coach Samson Siasia led team to go for the trophy when they meet Algeria in Saturday’s final.

In this interview with BAMIDELE BOLUWAJI, Esin tips the team to shine at the Rio Olympic while advising the coaching crew to take good care of the defence…

How impressed are you about the Nigerian performance at the CAF U-23 African Cup of Nations in Senegal?

I am really impressed and it was a good performance from the boys even when nobody thought they could do it. Getting the Olympic ticket is not easy but they worked so hard to make sure they qualified for the Olympics and also qualify for the final where they will play Algeria. Over all, I will say it was an excellent performance by the players compared to the previous games they have played in the tournament.

Did you at any time before the semi-final match give the team any chance of winning the match?

I will say yes and no because in any major tournament like this, it is always difficult to play the host nation and if you look at the massive support the Senegalese have been getting from their people, it would be difficult to believe they could lose the match in front of their supporters.

And on the apart of the Nigerian team, I know Samson as somebody who has the magic to change things when you feel it is all over. He has been to the Olympics before and we all know how he performed there, so I had that belief that we were not going to be disgraced and fortunately, we won which was a good one for the team.

From what you have seen in the team, what can you point out as their strength?

What I see as the strength of the team is unity, even when they were not playing to our expectation, the unity was still there in the team and it has really helped them a lot. Aside from their first game, the other two games were not too impressive but they remained together till they qualified for the semi-final. The unity in the team has given the players mental strength to continue the fight till they made it to the final and I also see it helping them in the final.

Nigeria will be meeting Algeria again in the final, what are you looking forward to after a goalless draw in their first meeting in Senegal?

Definitely, a winner must emerge this time around and I want to state here that it is going to be a final that is really worth it, both sides have met before and they are not new to each other and so we should be expecting tough game that could go either way but with the determination in the Nigerian team, I see them winning.

Which area in the team do you think has not really lived up to expectation since the commencement of the U-23 Africa Cup of Nations in Senegal?

The defence has not really impressed me but we saw an improvement against Senegal which is good for the team.Conceding three goals in a match showed that the defenders have not done enough to protect the goalkeeper or prevent the opponents from coming to score against them but I hope it will still improve when they play Algeria.

Looking at the Algeria you saw against South Africa in the second semi-final match played on Wednesday, do you think Nigeria have what it takes to stop them?

Like I said earlier, it’s not going to be business as usual, just as we saw the Nigerian team improve against their previous games, so the Algerians and that is why I said the match is going to be very tough and in a match like that, our boys have to be very careful and make good use of their opportunities.

I know that we have a team that can beat the Algerians but we must avoid some silly mistakes and those are the things I expected Samson Siasia to have worked on before the match against Algeria.

After the Olympic ticket, what do you think should be the priority of Samson Siasia and his boys in the tournament?

Well, I don’t know what the NFF told them but as a Nigerian, I want to see a situation where by they beat Algeria to win the trophy because that is the next thing Nigerians are expecting from the team and they must not disappoint.

With what they have done in Senegal so far, do you thing Nigeria already has a team that can shine at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil?

After this championship, I think Samson Siasia should be given all the support he needs to start preparation on time and luckily for him, Olympics is recognized by all federations so I am sure he will get the services of all the players he needs for the Olympics. Definitely, he needs to work on the team to make sure there is improvement before the Olympics which means few players would have to come into the team to make it stronger.

How far do you think this team can go in Rio?

Well, we have not seen our opponents but with the experience Siasia has had in the Olympics, leading Nigeria to silver in China in 2008, I am sure that he can lead Nigeria to win the gold in Rio. But like I said, the NFF must not toy with his programme and he must be given all the support he needs in the area of preparation.

Who has impressed you most in the team?

Well, all the players are doing well but I think the goalkeeper has shown that he can’t give up in any situation; I am impressed with his performance.

Away from the U-23 Nations Cup, Nigeria’s Home Eagles will be Rwanda next year for the CHAN tournament, what is your view about the country’s participation in the tournament?

It is good for us as a nation because it will help us to discover talents from the domestic league and it will also help the coaches to know the strength of the players before they graduate to the main Eagles. Tournaments like this shouldn’t be seen as must win but a way through which we can develop our players.

The year is getting to an end, how will you rate Nigerian football in the outgoing year?

Well, it has been a case of 50-50, this is because our national team, the Super Eagles, played some games that almost gave us heart attack but the U-17 team came on board to erase that, coupled with the Olympic ticket we just got in Senegal, but I believe we can do more in the New Year. Our FIFA ranking has been very poor which does not speak well of our football but with more efforts next year, I hope there will be improvement.

En savoir plus sur http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/etim-esin-siasia-lead-u-23-eagles-olympic-gold/#l4RDq1dEXBACTjWf.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:32pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
U-23 Eagles Captain: No Final Pressure Since We’ve Got Olympic Ticket99
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Nigeria U-23 Eagles captain Azubuike Okechukwu has stated that they are not under pressure to win the CAF U-23 Africa Cup of Nations.

After playing a 0-0 draw in the group stage, the U-23 Eagles will face Algeria in the final billed for the Leopold Sedar Senghor Stadium, Dakar.

Speaking ahead of the final, Okechukwu who was suspended in the semi-final win against Senegal, told thenff.comthat he and his colleagues will not let the country down.

"We are not under pressure to win Algeria in the final, the most important thing is the Olympic ticket which we have secured.

"But we will make sure we do Nigeria proud in the final," Okechukwu assured.

En savoir plus sur http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/u-23-eagles-captain-final-pressure-olympic-ticket/#WL3ZwwOc4ZQWo2fT.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:41pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria's Etebo leads goals race at U23 AFCON
[/size]

Nigerian U-23 Star Oghenekaro Etebo-Leading Scorer at U-23 AFCON
Dream Team VI star forward Oghenekaro Etebo is the leading scorer at the CAF U23 AFCON in Senegal with three goals from four games.

All his goals were from the penalty spot as was the case with Flying Eagles skipper Musa Mohammed, who scored four goals to finish as top scorer at the African Youth Championship also in Senegal in March.

Etebo’s compatriot Junior Ajayi is among those trailing him on the goals chart with two goals.

Other players on two goals are Zinedine Ferhat (Algeria), Haythem Jouini (Tunisia), Ibrahima Keita (Senegal), Menzi Masuku and Gift Motupa (South Africa).

Nigeria face Algeria in the championship final tonight, while South Africa battle hosts Senegal for the third place and the remaining automatic Rio Olympic ticket.

Gabon won the inaugural U23 AFCON in Morocco four years, but they did not qualify for this tournament.
http://africanfootball.com//news/593063/Nigerias-Etebo-leads-goals-race-at-U23-AFCON
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:41pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Dream Team VI must respect Algeria – NFF scribe
Posted By: Segun Ogunjimi
[/size]

The General Secretary of the Nigeria Football Federation(NFF) Sanusi Mohammed has warned the Dream Team VI players to treat the Algerians with respect when they confront each other in today’s final of the Africa U-23 Cup of Nations.

“We should approach the match with all the seriousness it deserves. We should bear in mind that any team that is playing against Nigeria will play as if they are playing a World Cup final, especially African teams.

‘We should not take Algeria for granted. We should have respect for our opponent who we all know is strong but beatable.

“As for us – the Nigeria Football Federation as well as all football loving Nigerians and the media will definitely continue to pray for the team and by the grace of God victory will be ours.

“You could see that there was significant improvement in the last match compared with the previous matches that we have played and the team have continue to wax stronger as the competition progresses. Good enough we have learnt our lessons when we first played Algeria. This time around we will show that we are far superior to them.

As regards injuries to two prominent players in the team like Taiwo Awoniyi and Stanley Dimgba, the NFF scribe said there is cause for worries because the team is blessed with good talents that can replace the injured ones.

“This is an opportunity for those who have not played to do so. We have a lot of talents in the team and if given the opportunity they will want to prove that they are better too. Look at the performance of the U- 17 player Victor Osimhen so I think there is no cause for alarm at all”, Mohammed told Sportinglife yesterday.
http://thenationonlineng.net/dream-team-vi-must-respect-algeria-nff-scribe/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia admits Osimhen giving him selection problems
[/size]

by Samm Audu

Nigeria coach Samson Siasia has admitted FIFA U17 hotshot Victor Osimhen's display in the semi-final against Senegal has given him selection headache ahead of Saturday’s final against Algeria.

Osimhen, 17, headed the ball into the box for goalkeeper and defender to clatter into each other leading to a penalty which Nigeria’s Etebo Oghenekaro converted for the match winner on Wednesday.

“Victor Osimhen had a good outing against Senegal, which is giving me (selection) problems ahead of the final,” admitted Siasia at a pre-match briefing in Dakar.

“I think he will play but I cannot confirm if he will start.”

Osimhen, who scored 10 goals at last month’s U17 World Cup in Chile, has made two appearances as a substitute at the U23 AFCON.

Siasia restated his team’s target on Saturday is to win the U23 AFCON after they qualified for next year’s Rio Olympics.

“The objective was to qualify for the Olympics, which we achieved against Senegal. Now, we’ve set another objective which is to win because we want to win the tournament for our people back in Nigeria.

“We’re very happy to be in the final. It has been a long journey with some ups and downs, but it feels good to be in the final.

“We know our opponents (Algeria) very well having played them (in the group phase) and seeing their matches.”

The coach maintained his team have put behind their cash problems to aim for glory.

“The players worked hard to get to Rio de Janeiro because they want to make the country proud. It doesn’t matter if they have received match bonuses or not, what is important is to play and win for Nigeria,” he urged.
http://africanfootball.com/news/592989/Siasia-admits-Osimhen-giving-him-selection-problems
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia: Osimhen will play U23 AFCON final
[/size]

Eaglets star striker Osimhen

Nigeria coach Samson Siasia has admitted FIFA U17 hotshot Victor Osimhen's display in the semi-final against Senegal has given him selection headache ahead of Saturday’s final against Algeria.

Osimhen, 17, headed the ball into the box for goalkeeper and defender to clatter into each other leading to a penalty which Nigeria’s Etebo Oghenekaro converted for the match winner on Wednesday.

“Victor Osimhen had a good outing against Senegal, which is giving me (selection) problems ahead of the final,” admitted Siasia at a pre-match briefing in Dakar.

“I think he will play but I cannot confirm if he will start.”

Osimhen, who scored 10 goals at last month’s U17 World Cup in Chile, has made two appearances as a substitute at the U23 AFCON.

Siasia restated his team’s target on Saturday is to win the U23 AFCON after they qualified for next year’s Rio Olympics.

“The objective was to qualify for the Olympics, which we achieved against Senegal. Now, we’ve set another objective which is to win because we want to win the tournament for our people back in Nigeria.

“We’re very happy to be in the final. It has been a long journey with some ups and downs, but it feels good to be in the final.

“We know our opponents (Algeria) very well having played them (in the group phase) and seeing their matches.”

The coach maintained his team have put behind their cash problems to aim for glory.

“The players worked hard to get to Rio de Janeiro because they want to make the country proud. It doesn’t matter if they have received match bonuses or not, what is important is to play and win for Nigeria,” he urged.
http://mtnfootball.com/news/592991/Siasia-Osimhen-will-play-U23-AFCON-final
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:24pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b]
Olayinka signs for Belgian champions Gent

Olayinka is off to Belgium Champions Genk in January

Nigerian striker Peter Olayinka has signed a three-and-a-half year deal with Belgian champions Gent to join forces with compatriot Moses Simon.

The 20-year-old lanky striker, according to the Skendebeau website, formalised the deal that will see him leave the Albanian club in January.

Skendebaeu sporting director Haris Fakiç said a deal has been agreed and the Nigerian striker will remain with the team until the January window.

"Peter will leave Skendebaeu in January. We can confirm that the contract is formalised and signed by both clubs and the player himself,” said the top club official.

“Peter has signed a three and a half-year with Belgian team Gent.

“Peter will play the remaining matches until the end of the month and then will join the Belgian team.”

Olayinka has scored eight goals in 15 league games this season in Albania.

He won the Albanian league championship in the 2014/2015 season.
http://africanfootball.com//news/592941/Olayinka-signs-for-Belgian-champions-Gent
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by shogz89: 6:35pm On Dec 12, 2015
Icon4s:

Nice one. With d exception of Tiago, Aneke and Martins that ur list is fine. BTW which Aneke is that?
is Dominic solanke available for Nigeria,, has he made his decision to play for Nigeria
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:04pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b]Ighalo hits goal no.10 as Iheanacho wins match for Man City

In the lunchtime kickoff, Everton were held to a 1 - 1 draw by Norwich City at Carrow Road, with England international Ross Barkley suiting up for the Toffees for the 16th time this season. The midfielder got replaced in the 76th minute.

Super Eagles strikers Victor Moses (West Ham ) and Peter Odemwingie (Stoke City) were not available for selection when their teams faced off at Boleyn Ground due to hamstring injuries. It ended goalless.

Kelechi Iheanacho has now racked up 160 minutes of game time in the Premier League after he played the last six minutes of Manchester City’s 2 - 1 victory over Swansea City. He scored a last - minute winner for The Citizens.

Odion Ighalo tallied his tenth goal of the season and Watford’s only goal in their 1 - 0 away win over Sunderland, their third straight victory in the EPL.

The attacker, who found the net in the 4th minute, is the first Watford player to score 10 goals in the Premier League.

http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2015/12/ighalo-hits-goal-no10-as-iheanacho-wins.html?m=1[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:31pm On Dec 12, 2015
[b]Dramatic Iheanacho winner masks defensive concerns for Man City

The young Nigerian has somewhat dubiously been credited with a dramatic last-minute winner but the Blues' poor defending should be of huge concern to Manuel Pellegrini

Manchester City are still waiting for that clean sheet without Vincent Kompany, and but for Kelechi Iheanacho's late, late winner, the Blues' poor defending would be high on the agenda.

But first let's give credit to Manuel Pellegrini's men, who have so often folded in the face of adversity.

The defending may have been increasingly ragged as Swansea City went in search of an equaliser, but even when it arrived - and looked set to deal the Blues another set-back in their quest for the Premier League title - they keep going and found the answer.

The hosts reacted immediately and went on the attack, and there may still have been one or two Swansea subs and coaches celebrating when Yaya Toure's shot deflected off Iheanacho and dropped underneath the crossbar for a dramatic winner.

City have looked shellshocked at times this season, most notably against Tottenham, Liverpool and Stoke City a week ago, but they quickly rallied here and rescued themselves.

Whether the young Nigerian deserves to be given the goal or not is up for debate, and only adds to the surreal nature of the final minutes at the Etihad.

"The most important thing is we won," Pellegrini said afterwards. "It doesn’t matter if it is Yaya’s goal or Kelechi’s goal."

The overall City performance, however, was shaky. They created little in the 90 minutes and had a Wilfried Bony header from a corner to thank as they went into the break a goal to the good.

Joe Hart had already produced a fine one-on-one save to deny Wayne Routledge by the time Bony scored, and the City keeper was called into action on several occasions after half-time.

The England man was named man of the match as City fans were celebrating Yaya's winner and it was richly deserved. Were it not for him City would have conceded far more than just the once, with the defence in front of him allowing plenty of opportunities, particularly for Gylfi Sigurdsson, who was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

Pellegrini, though, once again refused to focus on his back four: "I talk about City as a team. It was our fifth game in 15 days. It was important to finish this week at the top of the table after the achievement in the Champions League. We will see what happens tomorrow. We have the whole week to work."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2015/12/12/18280312/-[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:04pm On Dec 12, 2015
Game starts with Victor Osimhen getting a shot on target.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:07pm On Dec 12, 2015
Our captain is playing like a woman scorned lol, where has this been all along? I guess with less pressure we can better express ourselves.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:14pm On Dec 12, 2015
Penalty 1-0 Nigeria Etebo tricked me i expected him to go left.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:33pm On Dec 12, 2015
1-1 own goal
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:43pm On Dec 12, 2015
Goal number 2 for the highest goal getter in this tournament Etebo 2-1 Nigeria

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:26pm On Dec 12, 2015
Dubious penalty

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:28pm On Dec 12, 2015
Daniel u are my hero! Biggest save

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:38pm On Dec 12, 2015
The game is pretty stale as of now although Algeria has had the best chances.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:54pm On Dec 12, 2015
2-1 Nigeria wins.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:56pm On Dec 12, 2015
Congrats to the Dream Team. Keep the Nigerian Flag Flying.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 12, 2015
Congrats Dream team for this wonderful feat...their best performance so far in the tournament.

Etebor and Daniel win the tournament for us
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 10:03pm On Dec 12, 2015
Daniel is my player of the tournament. His saves won us this tournament.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 10:30pm On Dec 12, 2015
shogz89:
is Dominic solanke available for Nigeria,, has he made his decision to play for Nigeria

Yes he is available cos he nt been capped by d 3Lions. But i dnt think he has made any decision whether to play for Nigeria or nt.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 10:34pm On Dec 12, 2015
Congratulations Nigeria for the well deserved victory.

To d Dream Team VI: Most of us expected u to only go to Senegal & win d Rio ticket but u are coming home with both d ticket and Trophy.

Well done boys!

(1) (2) (3) ... (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.